2007 Samsung HL-Txx76 Owner's Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1965 Old 07-02-2007, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
well it has been a couple days since the tech came out and made some minor adjustments to fix the bowing...at the time i felt that he did a good job and that the problem was pretty much solved...well after turning the set on for the first time in a couple of days i noticed that the bowing was just as bad as it was before...so needless to say the tech really didnt fix much and now i dont know what else to do....i am going to call samsung and see what they say...i will let you know..and also has anyone heard anything new regarding the screw fix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1965 Old 07-02-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkev4123 View Post

well it has been a couple days since the tech came out and made some minor adjustments to fix the bowing...at the time i felt that he did a good job and that the problem was pretty much solved...well after turning the set on for the first time in a couple of days i noticed that the bowing was just as bad as it was before...so needless to say the tech really didnt fix much and now i dont know what else to do....i am going to call samsung and see what they say...i will let you know..and also has anyone heard anything new regarding the screw fix?

No one has insisted that Samsung make this fix or no fix at all, therefore no one has posted any tech fixing it this way. You need to speak to a tier 2 that understands what your'e talking about and understands what the screw fix is. Tell them that the tech that came out did not know what this is. The tech will get briefed on this before he comes out again. Please update after calling samsung..
post #273 of 1965 Old 07-02-2007, 12:19 PM

Two things to know:

I called Samsung to now find that they don't let just anyone talk to Tier 2. They now need to get permission....hmmm. They can only transfer you to Tier 2 if you have a technical question, so make sure it is technical.

If a tech comes out and doesn't know what you are talking about when regarding the bowing fix w/an extra screw, there is a number he can call to get assistance. Phone#: 973-601-6119. We can not call this number. We need to provide an Account# and verify the techs name and all kinds of other junk...I tried.

So next time you call to have the tech come out, ask Samsung support for the phone# to which you will be making your appointment with. Once the appointment has been made also ask for them to make a note regarding the bowing fix with the extra screw. This way they will make a note to the tech who will be coming to your home. If the trech does come out and still was not aware of this fix, tell him to use the phone# above to get assistance about this. Hopefully someone will get this done soon so I can stop going crazy..
post #274 of 1965 Old 07-02-2007, 10:51 PM

Anyone know if the HL-T7288W has this bowing problem or is it just with the S models?

Any other known problems with the HL-T7288W?

Thanks
post #275 of 1965 Old 07-03-2007, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfi View Post

Anyone know if the HL-T7288W has this bowing problem or is it just with the S models?

Thanks

This site is not for the 88W's. Read the thread title. If you need to pose questions for the 88W's and you can not find a thread for it....make one!
post #276 of 1965 Old 07-03-2007, 08:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfi View Post

Thanks

Try here.

HL-T7288W...First impressions

In general the 2007 72" set will have most of the characteristics of the 2006 71" model so for reliability questions you can read here too.

Samsung 71' 1080P DLP HL-S7178W (owners)
post #277 of 1965 Old 07-03-2007, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffdiever View Post

Two things to know:

I called Samsung to now find that they don't let just anyone talk to Tier 2. They now need to get permission....hmmm. They can only transfer you to Tier 2 if you have a technical question, so make sure it is technical.

If a tech comes out and doesn't know what you are talking about when regarding the bowing fix w/an extra screw, there is a number he can call to get assistance. Phone#: 973-601-6119. We can not call this number. We need to provide an Account# and verify the techs name and all kinds of other junk...I tried.

So next time you call to have the tech come out, ask Samsung support for the phone# to which you will be making your appointment with. Once the appointment has been made also ask for them to make a note regarding the bowing fix with the extra screw. This way they will make a note to the tech who will be coming to your home. If the trech does come out and still was not aware of this fix, tell him to use the phone# above to get assistance about this. Hopefully someone will get this done soon so I can stop going crazy..

This is great info. for current 76S owners who have the bowing problem. Perhaps I'll be an owner of this TV one day, but by then, I hope the fix is already implemented before they send these TVs to stores.

Procrastination is the thief of time.
-- Edward Young

They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.

-- Benjamin Franklin

You shouldn't mix meditation with management.
The mind gets too empty.

-- Scott Adams, "Dilbert"
post #278 of 1965 Old 07-03-2007, 11:16 AM

Likely buying the tv tonight or tomorrow. Hopefully I have no bowing issue tomorrow. Cus I will go nuts if ninja gaiden sigma is bowing I can't accept such shannanigans.
post #279 of 1965 Old 07-03-2007, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OniMirage View Post

Likely buying the tv tonight or tomorrow. Hopefully I have no bowing issue tomorrow. Cus I will go nuts if ninja gaiden sigma is bowing I can't accept such shannanigans.

Keep us updated. Thanks
post #280 of 1965 Old 07-03-2007, 11:51 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinka View Post

Had to look inside my HLT5676, power supply and electronics on the left, light engine on the right. The big upper mirror looks like it's fixed in the front but is adjustable at the rear. Loosen the four screws at the top of the back panel and there's a left and right adjustment cam.

Shinka,

Did you see a focus adjustment ring on the light engine? Thanks.

Alvin
post #281 of 1965 Old 07-03-2007, 03:08 PM

Well my Samsung tech just left. I was having issues with bowing, and trapazoid. I am running this 61 inch on my PS3 and one of my spare computers serving as a media server, so I was very perticular when it came to every corner and edge being square.

I asked the the tech about the "Screw" idea, and he had no clue what I was talking about, tho he did say everything could be adjusted from the inside.

The tech got everything withen 3 millmeters from one corner to the other. Took him about 2 hours to calibrate everything, and I must admit that everything is near perfect. He used a machine I forget it's name, but looked like a mini computer to place a display on the computer using componat cables. I didn't stick around to watch hm too much as I know how frustrating things can get especially if you have a customer looking over your shoulder. ( I am a Electricain, and work in alot of custom homes installing smart home systems, and such )

There is still some slight bowing effect, that can be manually adjusted buy placing a small item ( I used a small tac nail ) into the upper frame to get it just perfect. Even while using my computer to get a straight line I can not see a bow at all now. Tho if you adjust your DLP alot you will constantly have to readjust the bowing, as the frame of this item is very "Weak". But over all I would have to say that this DLP is as close to a LCD screen I have seen on any DLP, and am even thinking of buying a secound for my computer room. The only downside is the frame, but once it's calibrated, buy a tech, and alittle finnese, you can get a perfect picture.

I give it a 9/10 Only downside I would say is it needs a better frame, to support it's own weight. But everything else is perfect.

EQRoxxx
post #282 of 1965 Old 07-03-2007, 03:33 PM

so is this bowing issue not coming from the inside but rather the projection 'to' the screen? If this is the case then wouldn't this be considered a recall should enough people complain?
post #283 of 1965 Old 07-03-2007, 05:47 PM

well the service center is sending a guy back out on thursday and they said they had a few new things to try out...I will let you guys know what happens..later
post #284 of 1965 Old 07-03-2007, 09:58 PM

I wouldn't consider it to be a defect, and a recall is needed, It's just my personal needs require everything to be perfect. Normal specs of any DLP your allowed to have up to 6 mill off from center, mine was only 3. And I fixed that myself with a small tweak.

EQRoxxx
post #285 of 1965 Old 07-03-2007, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

My parents just purchased this TV and we just got it set up. I have yet to check for bowing but did notice something else. I wanted to see if anyone on here could help me out. Put in a movie for them and it had black bars on top and bottom. In the bottom black bar a little to the right of the Samsung logo there is a mushroom shaped lighter area. This shape appears lighter than the rest of the black screen. I put on a blank input and it was noticable on that screen too, so it is not source material. It looks as though light is escaping this are more than the rest of the screen. The shape will get larger and smaller too but will not go away. Again, it looks as though more light is shining through. It is easiest to see when you are below the center of the screen. If you are above center it is not visible. This is a brand new TV and I'm dreading hauling it back to the store. Anyone have any ideas as to what this could be?

PSN: T-Neck

I'm doin' it wrong
post #286 of 1965 Old 07-03-2007, 11:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneck View Post

Anyone have any ideas as to what this could be?

If you turn out all the lights at night and it's still there then it's an internal reflection just as you guessed. If it's not there with the lights out, then it's coming from some external light source.

Both conditions are common in RPTV sets. If the set is fine in all other respects, then think carefully before you return it. I assume that you don't see it when you watch HDTV and there are no black bars.

If you have a thirty day return period give it some time before you return the set.
post #287 of 1965 Old 07-04-2007, 06:14 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by EQRoxxx View Post

Well my Samsung tech just left. I was having issues with bowing, and trapazoid. I am running this 61 inch on my PS3 and one of my spare computers serving as a media server, so I was very perticular when it came to every corner and edge being square.

I asked the the tech about the "Screw" idea, and he had no clue what I was talking about, tho he did say everything could be adjusted from the inside.

The tech got everything withen 3 millmeters from one corner to the other. Took him about 2 hours to calibrate everything, and I must admit that everything is near perfect. He used a machine I forget it's name, but looked like a mini computer to place a display on the computer using componat cables. I didn't stick around to watch hm too much as I know how frustrating things can get especially if you have a customer looking over your shoulder. ( I am a Electricain, and work in alot of custom homes installing smart home systems, and such )

There is still some slight bowing effect, that can be manually adjusted buy placing a small item ( I used a small tac nail ) into the upper frame to get it just perfect. Even while using my computer to get a straight line I can not see a bow at all now. Tho if you adjust your DLP alot you will constantly have to readjust the bowing, as the frame of this item is very "Weak". But over all I would have to say that this DLP is as close to a LCD screen I have seen on any DLP, and am even thinking of buying a secound for my computer room. The only downside is the frame, but once it's calibrated, buy a tech, and alittle finnese, you can get a perfect picture.

I give it a 9/10 Only downside I would say is it needs a better frame, to support it's own weight. But everything else is perfect.

EQRoxxx

Interesting, would you please post of picture of exactly where you placed the small tack nail into the frame.

Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Pioneer Elite AVR
Energy Connoisseur Series Speakers
SVS Sub
Xbox360
Panasonic Blu-ray
Apple TV3
post #288 of 1965 Old 07-04-2007, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwilli View Post

Shinka,

Did you see a focus adjustment ring on the light engine? Thanks.

Alvin

There is an adjustment ring between the color wheel and the DLP but I don't know what it does and am afraid to turn it The service manual shows a special tool turning a screw in the center of the DLP heatsink for the focus adjustment.
post #289 of 1965 Old 07-04-2007, 07:51 AM

Here are the pictures. I replaced the tac nail with some pennies so that you could see it better, also took pics of the screen it self, and the Item the tech used to get rid of the trapazoid effect.

http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=IMGP0360.jpg

http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=IMGP0361.jpg

http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=IMGP0363.jpg

http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=IMGP0364.jpg

EQRoxxx
post #290 of 1965 Old 07-04-2007, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

If you turn out all the lights at night and it's still there then it's an internal reflection just as you guessed. If it's not there with the lights out, then it's coming from some external light source.

Both conditions are common in RPTV sets. If the set is fine in all other respects, then think carefully before you return it. I assume that you don't see it when you watch HDTV and there are no black bars.

If you have a thirty day return period give it some time before you return the set.

It is still there with all lights out. What would cause the reflection from the inside? We were very careful in moving it. Is there a way that it can be fixed? It is pretty annoying. It can really only be seen when a dark background is over it. Whether it is in HD or not. Is there a chance it could go away? It's so disappointing to pay all this money and then get something that lets you down. I have a Sharp Aquos and dealt with the banding problem. I thought my parents made the right choice with this TV. Should they get a tech out to adjust something or just return?

I'm doin' it wrong
post #291 of 1965 Old 07-04-2007, 10:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Should they get a tech out to adjust something or just return?

I don't know of any adjustment. In the past people have done extensive modifications to RPTV sets to reduce internal reflections. That's not something I would recommend. You can try exchanges or a refund. Each technology will have it's own set of problems. The trick is to find one that irritates you the least amount.
post #292 of 1965 Old 07-04-2007, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Does anyone else suffer from internal reflections? Wish I would have never even noticed it because I know they wouldn't have. But since I went through all the hassle with an Aquos with banding I spot things easy now. It is sad you pay all this money but yet have to decide which problems you want to live with.

I'm doin' it wrong
post #293 of 1965 Old 07-04-2007, 01:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

It is sad you pay all this money but yet have to decide which problems you want to live with.

That may be your problem. "All this money" doesn't protect you from the problems associated with technology.

There are all kinds of PQ problems that can be worse than internal reflections. It's a gamble no matter which way you jump.
post #294 of 1965 Old 07-05-2007, 06:31 AM

Any new news regarding the bowing fix?
post #295 of 1965 Old 07-05-2007, 08:10 AM

the service guy is coming out again this afternoon..i will let you all know what happens
post #296 of 1965 Old 07-05-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:

the service guy is coming out again this afternoon..i will let you all know what happens

Please Do. Thanks
post #297 of 1965 Old 07-05-2007, 12:32 PM

so fry's electronics pissed me off so i wont be getting it from them I am going after work to circuit city who is price matching them and just get it from the company that wants money.
post #298 of 1965 Old 07-05-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OniMirage View Post

so fry's electronics pissed me off so i wont be getting it from them I am going after work to circuit city who is price matching them and just get it from the company that wants money.

What happened?
post #299 of 1965 Old 07-05-2007, 01:42 PM

so the service guy left not to long ago and he could not get the bowing fixed...he worked on it for a long time and he could just not figure it out...he called samsung and asked about any possible fixes and they said there was nothing he could do other than what he had already tried...they made no mention of the screw fix and i asked the service guy directly if he knew anything of it and he looked at me like i was crazy...he asked samsung about the screw fix and they also knew nothing of it....so now they filed the service action worksheet which means samsung will either give me a replacement our do something else to fix the tv...i think i am just going to ask to get one of the samsung 46" lcds considering this is now the 2nd samsung dlp that has gone bad and my patience with poor geometry is running out.... i will let you all know what happens...later
post #300 of 1965 Old 07-05-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:

so the service guy left not to long ago and he could not get the bowing fixed...he worked on it for a long time and he could just not figure it out...he called samsung and asked about any possible fixes and they said there was nothing he could do other than what he had already tried...they made no mention of the screw fix and i asked the service guy directly if he knew anything of it and he looked at me like i was crazy...he asked samsung about the screw fix and they also knew nothing of it....so now they filed the service action worksheet which means samsung will either give me a replacement our do something else to fix the tv...i think i am just going to ask to get one of the samsung 46" lcds considering this is now the 2nd samsung dlp that has gone bad and my patience with poor geometry is running out.... i will let you all know what happens...later

****! Not the news i wanted to hear, or anyone wanted to hear. I feel like i got lied to by samsung techs, or their inconsistency sucks. Either way i am frustrated. I was looking at the 46" Samsung as well. but it's $1000 more, and doesn't have as lose to a life span of quality as does the dlp. I'm assuming they would definitely make you pay the difference between the Hl-T and the Ln-t lcd screen? If not, maybe I'll try the same. I still feel this is something that is from tech to tech and from Samsung tier2 to another tier2. Some have dealt with it, others haven't.

In fact, I am calling them right now!
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page