post #541 of 1965 Old 07-22-2007, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyk View Post

I have a positive review on the HT-L5076S!!!!!

My 2001 Toshiba 57" CRT rear projection HD screen stopped working last Sunday. I decided to by a new tv and Ordered a HT-L5076S on Tuesday and it was delivered Saturday via Eagle Logistics. I read all positive reviews (15 of 15) on CC.com's website and my dad owns the HL-S5687. So I ordered the TV and then read a day after I ordered it I read all the bad reviews on AVSForums regarding bowing and geometry. I was very nervous to get this set. When I set it up, I ran some simple tests and did not notice any bowing or any other issue with the geometry. The TV was manufactured May 2007. PQ is AWESOME!! The only complaint I have is with the TV speakers. they are a joke, but I dont know who would own a TV like this without having 5.1 or better sound. The only other question I have is for over the air broadcasts, I am getting noticible delay through the digital out on the TV into my Onkyo TX-DS787 receiver. I only use over the air for FOX as they are the only station not to allow Time Warner Cable to carry their signal. The TV speakers seem to be right on but through the receiver has a delay. I can tell this by when the sound is on both thorough the TV and the Receiver. Any thoughts???

Thanks!!

If you are running an external source (like a sat or cable feed or DVD) you will get an echo. If you are running a OTA source and are watching TV and you use the digital out from the TV set you will not get an echo. The TV will sync the audio with the OTA feed.

The problem is that its takes some processing time to do the video that the audio does not need. So when the TV cannot control both, you get the echo.

People were hoping that HDMI would solve this problem but so far none of the sets seem to utilize the sepearate parts and delay the audio. Your option is to get an audio delay box or adjust your receiver if it has a delay for the inputs.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1965 Old 07-23-2007, 06:49 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilklown View Post

Is this bad, its 10 mm.

Evil, I know I can speak for all of us when I say I can fee lyour pain. Maybe not 10mm's worth but 5-8mm's worth of your pain, plsu sending 2 of the sammy's back to the store already.

I am actually getting a tech to come out with one of Samsung's engineers this week. I told them if it is not fixed this week the TV is going back and I am getting a Sony....it's up to Samsung on this one. No more blowing me off, and waiting until my 30 day time has no time left to return.

My 30 days are up August 4th, and I just got my cable TV set up. I have gone without cable or any other form of broadcast for 2 full months, due to Comcast coming to my house 4 times to replace the bad, no signal wire in my house. Each time they sent a side contractor that doesn't do wire replacement. Everytime I called them up, they would say sorry and we will make sure that next time they can do that. Well 3 different days of taking off of work and 3 times the wrong guy.
4th guy came on Saturday and told me the past 3 different guys were checking old satellite cable that was coming out of the wall, and that there is a RJ-6 line right next to it that works fine!!!......What MORONS. If I didn't buy this house 2 months ago, I would of know this, but 3 guys come and only try and check 1 lines and then tell me I need new wire ran through the house!!!??

Sorry I had to post my frustration. Bewtween this and the Samsung crap I am on the wall of just opening the door the next time a tech comes to my house and punching him in the face.
post #543 of 1965 Old 07-23-2007, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
evilknown...your picture never posted.
post #544 of 1965 Old 07-23-2007, 08:14 AM

I know, Bummer, but its 10mm on the sides,just emailed Tier 2 my photos.
post #545 of 1965 Old 07-23-2007, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Is it pincushion or upward upward "smiling"
post #546 of 1965 Old 07-23-2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:

I know, Bummer, but its 10mm on the sides,just emailed Tier 2 my photos.

What'd they have to say after looking at the photos????
post #547 of 1965 Old 07-23-2007, 10:12 AM

new issue with the sammy the hdmi ports are ... popping???? not in the sense of electricity flying everywhere but when the resolution changes I hear a POP from the speakers on the tv and after that I get snow every so often when watching something that is using the hdmi ports. I wanna stick with samsung cus well their image quality is top notch when things work as they should be damn you know. is there an alternative tv to match the 120hz of this tv?

update: going to pack up the tv today and get an exchange from circuit city ... we will see what happens
post #548 of 1965 Old 07-23-2007, 11:32 AM

he has yet to get back to me, 4 hours and waiting...I used a jpg from the other thread to show the horiz. line curving, he wanted a copy of the jpg! I showed the curve and put a ruler up to the screen shoing it at 10mm.we'll see.
post #549 of 1965 Old 07-23-2007, 11:47 AM

Quote:

he has yet to get back to me, 4 hours and waiting...I used a jpg from the other thread to show the horiz. line curving, he wanted a copy of the jpg! I showed the curve and put a ruler up to the screen shoing it at 10mm.we'll see.

which jpeg is this?
post #550 of 1965 Old 07-23-2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OniMirage View Post

new issue with the sammy the hdmi ports are ... popping???? not in the sense of electricity flying everywhere but when the resolution changes I hear a POP from the speakers on the tv and after that I get snow every so often when watching something that is using the hdmi ports. I wanna stick with samsung cus well their image quality is top notch when things work as they should be damn you know. is there an alternative tv to match the 120hz of this tv?

update: going to pack up the tv today and get an exchange from circuit city ... we will see what happens

I have been asking that question a lot lately....and after visiting the local CCs and BBs and brandsmarts and reading reviews...

I would say that the samsung LCDs should be your next choice. If you really like the beautiful colors and PQ of the samsung tvs....then a LCD might be smart.

Honestly thats the only other tv that compared to the sammy DLP in PQ in my eyes. People say that the sony a2020 looks the same or better....I firmly believe that its just denial because they don't want the geometry issues.

Samsung has the better PQ hands down.
post #551 of 1965 Old 07-23-2007, 12:49 PM

Right, it couldn't be that they actually DO like that TV better. After all, we all know the Sony didn't sell at all until Samsung developed this problem.
post #552 of 1965 Old 07-23-2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brophog View Post

Right, it couldn't be that they actually DO like that TV better. After all, we all know the Sony didn't sell at all until Samsung developed this problem.

To Sony's credit. Their PQ looks pretty good, but not so good out of the box. At least from my experience with the A2020's.

Also, for any of you who are going to the BB's and CC's, doing comparisons, you have to take a different approach. You are comparing a brand new bulb and a TV that and sammy tv that has contrast and brightness turned up all the way. The sony A2020's have been up there for many more months, constantly turned on. Their setting also aren't as high.
post #553 of 1965 Old 07-23-2007, 02:00 PM

I like the Samsung better, personally, simply because I think it is the better overall set. But his statement deserved a heavy dose of sarcasm as it is pretty clearly not true and perhaps even judgemental.
post #554 of 1965 Old 07-23-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brophog View Post

I like the Samsung better, personally, simply because I think it is the better overall set. But his statement deserved a heavy dose of sarcasm as it is pretty clearly not true and perhaps even judgemental.

Well, I have experienced it first hand many times....there are many that like samsung better that have sonys.....note I never mentioned anyone in this thread. Talking generally.

And I know what a sony looks like when its pro calibrated and all....its very nice...but honestly...to me...the PQ looks....normal....nothing fantastic or extraordinary. Just a nice picture....and I prefer extraordinary. As many in this thread do aswell. I'm pretty sure I will go with a sammy LCD if the problem isnt fixed...but im sure it will be...and the first tv I buy will be a sammy DLP.
post #555 of 1965 Old 07-23-2007, 02:12 PM

I just dont wanna lose faith in samsung cus over the years their products have come so far and comparing them to other tv's is like the old comparison of looking out of a window vs stepping into the scene and samsung really does deliver on the promise of superior PQ if only geometry issues didn't exist.
post #556 of 1965 Old 07-23-2007, 03:17 PM

Just my .02, I have had my HL-T6176S for about 3 weeks now with no problems. I kinda wish I hadnt read this thread though. It seems as though only 3 or 4 people are consitantly posting in here about this bowing problem, heck, I just went in and picked out a TV, what are the odds I would have gotten one without this problem if it was so bad. I did however notice and comment on how delicate the frame and screen seem to be.

Anyway I love it. My Xboxs looks great, my HD broadcasts look better then ever, and my HD DVD player upconverts picture to it that blows me away, even with standard def. I have yet to be blown away with HD DVD yet because I have only seen Miami Vice ( ). The picture is very very bright, almost too bright at times but I kinda dig it. I am also happy I went with the proven light engine rather than the unproven LED engine, hopefully that technology pans out though as LED seems to be the future for every type of lighting.
post #557 of 1965 Old 07-23-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Cusack View Post

Honestly thats the only other tv that compared to the sammy DLP in PQ in my eyes. People say that the sony a2020 looks the same or better....I firmly believe that its just denial because they don't want the geometry issues. Samsung has the better PQ hands down.

As I stated many times before I was all set to buy a Samsung then the Geometry issues poped up. Went to BB and looked at both with the same feed and I could not tell that much of a diffrence between the two. I can assure you I was not in denial when viewing the two sets (LOL).. If there was an oh my God type diffrence I would have just waited till the problem had been resolved. IMHO if you looked at the sets with no labels you would be stretched to be able to tell them apart they are both high quality HD TV's. I could not justify rolling the dice on a $2000 investment after reading post after post of tech visit after tech visit exchange after exchange to still have the same problem. Got a KDS 50A2020 and could not be happier with the picture. Not a hicup or geometry issue since purchase.. Plus I got one heck of a deal one of the few that got the 1350 deal.
post #558 of 1965 Old 07-23-2007, 07:36 PM

well my 2nd hlt5076 from samsung is coming tomorrow..i am hoping for some better luck..i will post asap once i receive the tv to let you all know if the geometry is bad
post #559 of 1965 Old 07-24-2007, 05:25 AM

In an effort to discern
1) how prominent the bowing problem is on HLT sets
2) the odds of getting an acceptable set

I did some comparisons after work yesterday. I visited four different stores and compared eight different sets from five different models. The sets were HLT6187S, HLT6176S, HLS6187W, HLT5x76S, and HLS6767W. I measured bowing by pulling up the menu and measuring from the bottom of the screen to the bottom point on the menu bar. I did not record all of my results individually, but here is a summary.

-Worst set was a HLT6176S at Circuit City. The ESPN HD bar at the bottom "smiled" so significantly that I didn't bother trying to locate a CSR and a tape measure. It was the only set I looked at that was obviously flawed so badly anyone could see it.

-Next to worst set was a HLT6187S at Best Buy. It's difference between left and right side was .5 centimeters. Still didn't look too bad, IMO.

-Most sets were flawed, but so insignificantly that I couldn't have noticed without a tape measure. Average difference between left side/center/right side was about .3 centimeters.

-Best set was a HLT6187s at HHGregg that differed by only .15 centimeters on each side and about .2 centimeters in the center.

-The 67" set at Costco differed by about .5 centimeters from left to right. Wasn't very noticeable on such a large set, though.

-All sets that I looked at could be slightly rectified through use of a tilt adjustment if one exists in the service menu. I did not find a tilt adjustment in the regular menu. For instance, the average TV measured something like this
Left: 4.5cm
Center: 4.3cm
Right: 4.6cm
By using tilt one could theoretically at least get the left and right level.

Conclusions:

1) There is a huge variance out there from almost perfect to really bad. Only sure way to avoid a lemon is to turn it on in store before taking home.

2) Geometry issues are magnified at larger screen sizes, but also more difficult to discern.

3) Most sets were very acceptable to me. I wasn't bothered by the average difference of .3 centimeters (less than 1/8").
post #560 of 1965 Old 07-24-2007, 06:28 AM

You may not be as susceptible as others. Personally, I can tell a set is off by far less than an 1/8th of an inch. It's a curse, and makes buying TV's a real PITA.
post #561 of 1965 Old 07-24-2007, 06:48 AM

Liked: 12
I've notcied very little issues with geometry with the 87 series set's I've seen at a few differnet stores. The three different 76 series set's I've seen all had a very noticable issue.

I'm sure there are a few sets out there that have minimal issues but I see problems with the 76 series being very prevalent.

When I called Samsung the day after I got my set they said it was probably do to shipping and the alignment of the mirror being pushed out of whack. After a few people on this site have had techs come out to adjust the mirror and it not working I told them not to bother sending anyone out. Now I'm shopping for a new TV.
post #562 of 1965 Old 07-24-2007, 06:58 AM

Maybe try the 6156 or 6756 from sams/costco? It has the more rigid cabinet frame of last year so maybe it wont be such a huge problem. Only difference is they lack 1 HDMI port. Its not a problem for me as I only need one that comes off my receiver for hookup.
post #563 of 1965 Old 07-24-2007, 11:27 AM

well i just got my replacement hlt5076 and i have some good news...the geometry on the set is great....it is not perfect but there is no smiley effect and very little bowing effect on the vertical lines...overall i am pleased with the tv...let me know if you all have any questions...
post #564 of 1965 Old 07-24-2007, 11:32 AM

Nice Report Jeff! I did not measure the sets I looked at but with my naked eye, I could not see issues at my local Best Buy and Circuit City on the HLTXX76 sets
post #565 of 1965 Old 07-24-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkev4123 View Post

well i just got my replacement hlt5076 and i have some good news...the geometry on the set is great....it is not perfect but there is no smiley effect and very little bowing effect on the vertical lines...overall i am pleased with the tv...let me know if you all have any questions...

You have no upward slope on the edges, at all? ??? Send a picture with a grid up....I can't believe it.
post #566 of 1965 Old 07-24-2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffdiever View Post

You have no upward slope on the edges, at all? ??? Send a picture with a grid up....I can't believe it.

I understand your skepticism, but if the guy thinks his set is perfect, let him think it's perfect (and it very well may be). One thing I learned through my test above is that "OMG this TV is so screwed up" is all in the eye of the beholder, and if you never know something's wrong, you'll never care.
post #567 of 1965 Old 07-24-2007, 04:46 PM

i dont have a camera....but believe me...there is no bowing on any horizontal lines....i am truly satisfied with the set now...i wonder if samsung has changed something with the design...
post #568 of 1965 Old 07-24-2007, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkev4123 View Post

i dont have a camera....but believe me...there is no bowing on any horizontal lines....i am truly satisfied with the set now...i wonder if samsung has changed something with the design...

bigkev4123,
I hope they did. The set is terrific otherwise.
Please don't take this question wrong but it is very important for all of us as this could be a turning point if Sammy has resolved this. Did you use the channel guide for a straight reference or just in watching regular program material?
Sorry to press you & hope you understand.
Thanks
post #569 of 1965 Old 07-24-2007, 06:06 PM

for reference i am using the the test patterns that are in the service menu....i can 100 percent say there is no smile effect and i definitely know what it looks like since my old 5076 had it really bad...with the geometry fixed i now feel like i can truly enjoy how nice the picture is....if you have any more questions let me know
post #570 of 1965 Old 07-25-2007, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
bigkev4123,
Thanks
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page