2007 Samsung HL-Txx76 Owner's Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1965 Old 08-01-2007, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok this has happened to me twice now with the tv and the ps3. I'm not sure where the blame goes so I'll just ask here and see what you guys think. In both 300 and Planet Earth Blu-ray playing through the ps3 the background has a grainy effect to it. I've gone through and done everything I know to try and make sure that it's playing 1080p and the hdmi is going directly from the ps3 to the tv and it's still having that effect. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1965 Old 08-01-2007, 05:51 PM

My 6176s pops like crazy when it is warmed up. Does anyone else have this problem?
post #633 of 1965 Old 08-02-2007, 03:18 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeynavy1 View Post

There are advantages and disadvantages to both. The HL-TXX76s have the slimmer cabinet which is good for placement/size, and I feel from observation that the lamp-based units have a slightly better picture (although that is comparing my 6189 to last year's 6188). Unfortunately, that slimmer cabinet seems to have introduced more geometry issues (there have always been geometry issues with DLP TVs though). If you read the 87/89 forum (HL-T) there are a lot less complaints about bowing.

Thanks for the reply, as I have posted here, I had a HL-S5087 and loved it until the return.
The HL-T5076 have in its place from Samsung it a huge pile of SH*&.
I am all about PQ, and can not stand this thing. I was hoping the new 87's were better than the 76s
I may have to go back to Sony.

DirecT*
HR34-700 - 55" Panasonic TC-P55GT50 plasma HDMI/ ARC
Panasonic DMP-BDT220
Pioneer VSX-1120 7.1 Cambridge Sound Works Ensemble 1 - front, S300 - surround back, Center Stage - center, Polk RM7 - surround side, and Bass Cube 8
Router: Linksys EA4500
Verizon FiOs Quantum 50/35
post #634 of 1965 Old 08-02-2007, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectfusion View Post

Ok this has happened to me twice now with the tv and the ps3. I'm not sure where the blame goes so I'll just ask here and see what you guys think. In both 300 and Planet Earth Blu-ray playing through the ps3 the background has a grainy effect to it. I've gone through and done everything I know to try and make sure that it's playing 1080p and the hdmi is going directly from the ps3 to the tv and it's still having that effect. Any suggestions?

I've seen this on multiple TV's, not just the HL-T models. It is just the quality of the filming. I've seen other film, or Discovery HD, that looks amazing, and some some stuff just looks ok. It all depends on the source.
post #635 of 1965 Old 08-02-2007, 05:40 AM

Would like to say I have enjoyed reading all the threads,, tho very dishearted. I too purchsed the 6176 and yes it has the bowing,, (which stinks) I need to take it back, but what else is there? I have seen where a few are trying the sony 50a2020,,, ? Man i wish they could find a fix for the bowing! I like the tv!

I started with the sony lcd 46s3000,, which was a good tv,, I just wanted the 1080P,,, so I paid the restocking fee (stupid) thing,,, LOL then ended up with a larger tv with 1080p at a cheaper price. Now I think I might should have just kept the sony? My wife and teen says just keep the tv for the price we paid. Your gonna finda a problem with all of them LOL,,, maybe so,, but now every time I look at it I just keep seeing the bow,,, LOL

Thanks for the site.
post #636 of 1965 Old 08-02-2007, 07:47 AM

Is there anyone that is actually happy with their Samsung, if not what would you recommend if you had to buy a tv 60' or larger????????
post #637 of 1965 Old 08-02-2007, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3019 View Post

Is there anyone that is actually happy with their Samsung, if not what would you recommend if you had to buy a tv 60' or larger????????

I am. I think I am one of the few with VERY little or no bowing. The PQ is the best I have ever seen after some cal. No issues yet at all (knock on wood) I also said screw it and did not buy the extended warranty. CC wanted like 600 bucks for the 4 year. I said I will roll the dice and if I have to repair something, oh well I have a $600 head start. I never buy extended warranties. I did the same thing with my truck. They wanted 1800 bucks for the 100K warranty. I said no, so far spent 900. I am still 900 ahead.
post #638 of 1965 Old 08-02-2007, 09:51 AM

Quote:

Like Brathing Borla I have the 61" and I love it. I can't see any bowing. I did however getthe 4 year plan. Only $400ish dollars at BB. Anyway, good luck with your decision.
post #639 of 1965 Old 08-02-2007, 09:52 AM

I purchased a 5676 a month ago and I am very happy with it. I have a very small bowing problem but it is only noticeable when I view the guide page.

Everything else is spot on
post #640 of 1965 Old 08-02-2007, 09:55 AM

Well, thats about 2 out of hundreds on here that are happy with their HLTxx76s. It looks like the owners of the samsung HL-T6187S are very happy. Not sure what to do and I am very confused and not even sure if I should go with Samsung now after reading this thread. Maybe I am reading too much and just should go out and get it...LOL
post #641 of 1965 Old 08-02-2007, 10:17 AM

Well the folks down at da place said I could get a store credit towards something else,, but What? I want a big screen TV at least 40 plus "s or so. I don't know how long they will let me slide before I have to make a choice. I am trying to read as much as I can between my task,,, LOL My boss purchase the 42 slim line DLP sammy and he LOVE's it. He says he has no problems at all. I gues its just the 50" and up that seem to have an Bow problems... I must admit the tv has a very nice picture,, but I can't seem to enjoy it because I keep looking at the bow effect...LOL
post #642 of 1965 Old 08-02-2007, 10:58 AM

Ok,I finally (after 2 weeks) got an email back from Samsung tier 2...

Sorry Bill, I sent this up to my supervisor and I thought he took care of everything.

I see in the notes that you have spoke to the service center. They are doing 1 more repair. If they can't fix it they will be giving me a worksheet saying the unit is out of spec and needs to be replaced.

They have contact information for our product support center if they are having any hard time repairing it they can call .

Well looks like i'm waiting even more.
post #643 of 1965 Old 08-02-2007, 11:54 AM

Well thanks for responding, I knew there had to be more happy samsung HLT XX76S Owners out there. Is there a problem with the rainbow effect on this set?????? Also, can someone load a picture that shows this bowing that everyone talks about, is it that bad? This set has to be better than my Hitachi 61swx10b.
post #644 of 1965 Old 08-02-2007, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just to reiterate...for the people that are reading these forums and getting scared off from buying TVs. These forums aren't a "rating" service. For the most part they are for asking questions and troubleshooting. It also doesn't represent anywhere near all the TVs that are sold. Most people have never even heard of this very valuable web site (AVS in general). For the most part, unless you blatantly ask like you did, most of what you're going to read in any thread is what problems people are having and how to fix them. Obviously, in this thread, the prevalent issue is bowing. I haven't heard many other complaints though, which is actually pretty good. Last year the HL-Ss had numerous complaints about bad power supplies, smudges on screens, light tunnel collapses, blinking lights of death (happened to my TV). The Sony (biggest competitor) had premature lamp failures, green blob, and other prevalent issues. While this forum is good for helping to formulate an opinion, also realize that if every TV had this problem a civil action lawsuit would be forthcoming from all the other non-AVS members with this TV, stores would refuse to sell them due to the hit they take on returns, and Samsung (or any other company) would be in big trouble. Also, read any DVD, Blu-Ray, HDDVD, AV Receiver, or Speaker thread and you'll see complaints as well. Don't get me wrong, though, I'm not saying the bowing isn't an issue, and if you have it, return it, or make Samsung fix it, but I've seen TVs, and you've heard on here, that there are likely many TVs that don't have it, or it is at least not distracting.
post #645 of 1965 Old 08-02-2007, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathing Borla View Post

I am. I think I am one of the few with VERY little or no bowing. The PQ is the best I have ever seen after some cal. No issues yet at all (knock on wood) I also said screw it and did not buy the extended warranty. CC wanted like 600 bucks for the 4 year. I said I will roll the dice and if I have to repair something, oh well I have a $600 head start. I never buy extended warranties. I did the same thing with my truck. They wanted 1800 bucks for the 100K warranty. I said no, so far spent 900. I am still 900 ahead.

I paid a lot less for my 5-year warranty with Tweeter. Just make sure when you register your TV that you do it online. It adds another 3 months to the 1-year warranty. I actually needed it Samsung, so far, has been good about trying to help people with TV problems out of warranty, but don't count on it.
post #646 of 1965 Old 08-02-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:

now that I got mine replaced I am completely satisfied with the tv.
post #647 of 1965 Old 08-02-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:

I paid a lot less for my 5-year warranty with Tweeter. Just make sure when you register your TV that you do it online. It adds another 3 months to the 1-year warranty. I actually needed it Samsung, so far, has been good about trying to help people with TV problems out of warranty, but don't count on it.

I did register it and got the extra 3 months. I figured 15 month warranty was good enough for me and am willing to put some cash into it if it breaks down the road. I really like the PQ. It looks better than any other HDTV I have seen. (within a reasonable price, not 10K)
post #648 of 1965 Old 08-02-2007, 01:20 PM

I have the 5076s, and even though it has bowing, I still love the tv. IMHO, when calibrated it outshines the PQ of damn near anything in the price range (including the Sony A2020, I calibrated them back to back and compared for nearly 30 minutes at a CC). Yeah, the bowing does suck, but much of the time it's not noticeable unless you look for it. The one time it pops up is when watching 2.35:1 content. Plus, there are several advantages to this set compared to the competition. It's super slim, and being so I was able to place my tv on a fireplace stoop (don't worry, the fireplace doesn't work :-P ), get rid of my big entertainment center, and really open up my room. I also have a 360, and got it before the elite came out... BUT sammy's allow 1080p over component (and are the only manufacturer to do so to my knowledge). It's got tons of inputs, and for heavens sake, look at what you get for the price! 50" 1080p for about 1500 ain't too shabby if you ask me, even with a few problems.

For the warranty, there was no way in hell I was paying what CC wanted. I registered with Samsung to get an extra 3 months, and bought a service plan from Tapeworks Texas. I can certainly understand people on here having tech's come out and work on their tv, and exchange them 3 or 4 times. But to me personally, it's not worth the hassle to go through all that to get rid of a little bowing. Down the line, maybe 3-6 months, I'll call and get them to fix it. Hopefully by then they'll have a fix, or start putting in firmer screens.

I know by reading these threads, you'd think it's a horrible tv. But it really isn't, it's got one problem. If you researched any product on AVS, you'd be hard pressed to find one that doesn't have any problems or complaints, that's what this place is for. If you only bought consumer electronics that didn't have any problems, you probably wouldn't have anything at all. That's my input to prospective buyers. If you can deal with this bowing problem (which isn't the end of the world) for a while, until they HOPEFULLY develop a repair technique, or when new sets don't exhibit the problem, go for it. I know I can't stop playing games and watching HD-DVDs on mine.
post #649 of 1965 Old 08-02-2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophile42 View Post

I have the 5076s, and even though it has bowing, I still love the tv. IMHO, when calibrated it outshines the PQ of damn near anything in the price range (including the Sony A2020, I calibrated them back to back and compared for nearly 30 minutes at a CC). Yeah, the bowing does suck, but much of the time it's not noticeable unless you look for it. The one time it pops up is when watching 2.35:1 content. Plus, there are several advantages to this set compared to the competition. It's super slim, and being so I was able to place my tv on a fireplace stoop (don't worry, the fireplace doesn't work :-P ), get rid of my big entertainment center, and really open up my room. I also have a 360, and got it before the elite came out... BUT sammy's allow 1080p over component (and are the only manufacturer to do so to my knowledge). It's got tons of inputs, and for heavens sake, look at what you get for the price! 50" 1080p for about 1500 ain't too shabby if you ask me, even with a few problems.

For the warranty, there was no way in hell I was paying what CC wanted. I registered with Samsung to get an extra 3 months, and bought a service plan from Tapeworks Texas. I can certainly understand people on here having tech's come out and work on their tv, and exchange them 3 or 4 times. But to me personally, it's not worth the hassle to go through all that to get rid of a little bowing. Down the line, maybe 3-6 months, I'll call and get them to fix it. Hopefully by then they'll have a fix, or start putting in firmer screens.

I know by reading these threads, you'd think it's a horrible tv. But it really isn't, it's got one problem. If you researched any product on AVS, you'd be hard pressed to find one that doesn't have any problems or complaints, that's what this place is for. If you only bought consumer electronics that didn't have any problems, you probably wouldn't have anything at all. That's my input to prospective buyers. If you can deal with this bowing problem (which isn't the end of the world) for a while, until they HOPEFULLY develop a repair technique, or when new sets don't exhibit the problem, go for it. I know I can't stop playing games and watching HD-DVDs on mine.

good post. I love to turn mine on as well. I still say damn that's clear all the time.
post #650 of 1965 Old 08-02-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:

Just to reiterate...for the people that are reading these forums and getting scared off from buying TVs. These forums aren't a "rating" service. For the most part they are for asking questions and troubleshooting. It also doesn't represent anywhere near all the TVs that are sold. Most people have never even heard of this very valuable web site (AVS in general). For the most part, unless you blatantly ask like you did, most of what you're going to read in any thread is what problems people are having and how to fix them. Obviously, in this thread, the prevalent issue is bowing. I haven't heard many other complaints though, which is actually pretty good. Last year the HL-Ss had numerous complaints about bad power supplies, smudges on screens, light tunnel collapses, blinking lights of death (happened to my TV). The Sony (biggest competitor) had premature lamp failures, green blob, and other prevalent issues. While this forum is good for helping to formulate an opinion, also realize that if every TV had this problem a civil action lawsuit would be forthcoming from all the other non-AVS members with this TV, stores would refuse to sell them due to the hit they take on returns, and Samsung (or any other company) would be in big trouble. Also, read any DVD, Blu-Ray, HDDVD, AV Receiver, or Speaker thread and you'll see complaints as well. Don't get me wrong, though, I'm not saying the bowing isn't an issue, and if you have it, return it, or make Samsung fix it, but I've seen TVs, and you've heard on here, that there are likely many TVs that don't have it, or it is at least not distracting.

Well stated mikeynavy1. I think I will pull the trigger and just buy the 61'.
post #651 of 1965 Old 08-02-2007, 03:20 PM

So after having done a bunch of research (including reading most of this thread), I went ahead and bought a 5676. Unfortunately, my TV also has the bowing issue. I was lured by the really awesome PQ (which is probably what allowed me to get past all of the complaints of the bowing issues in this thread). The PQ is still really good. SD PQ isn't as bad as I thought it might be either (even when stretching it to 16:9).

I bought the TV from Brandsmart (retailer in Florida/Georgia), and had them deliver it for $50 (bargain in my opinion). The delivery guys were really good. I could tell they were careful with the box. They unpacked the TV, put it on my stand and hooked up the power/cable. They turned it on and asked if I approved. Unfortunately, I think I was too excited to check for the bowing issue so I immediately signed off (they even called the main store on their cell phone and had me verbally approve the delivery to a woman on the phone). I've since noticed the bowing problem (the TV guide channel, ESPN, CNBC, etc all exemplify the issue quite a bit). I wonder if the 16:9 scaling of SD TV exaggerates the problem (I'm getting satellite installed this weekend for HDTV)? Anyways, I've called Brandsmart customer service and they are sending one of their techs out on Monday to check out my problem. I am just hoping the tech will actually consider the bowing issue a problem and allow me to exchange it (with their delivery guys). I don't anticipate the tech being able to do any adjustments that will fix the problem, but we'll see.

By the way, I'm a huge fan of the power on/off sounds.
post #652 of 1965 Old 08-02-2007, 07:55 PM

shoulda listened
post #653 of 1965 Old 08-02-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:

I also have a 360, and got it before the elite came out... BUT sammy's allow 1080p over component (and are the only manufacturer to do so to my knowledge).

Audiophile - you do realize that the xbox 360 only upscales the dashboard and games over component, right? Movies (DVD) and such are only upscaled via VGA (or in case of the Elite, HDMI). HD-DVD movies can be played at 1080i, however you have to set the console to display in that format to get that feature when using component. For more information, take a look at http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/xbox360/hdtv.htm.

Ross
post #654 of 1965 Old 08-02-2007, 11:32 PM

Can I simply use an optical cable from the back of the HLT6176s going to the audio receiver and receive sound through all the input sources when I switch back and forth from dvd to satellite for example. This would seem like an easy way to get the surround sound I need with one optical cable. Does anyone know if this can be done this way?
post #655 of 1965 Old 08-03-2007, 05:55 AM

Quote:

Can I simply use an optical cable from the back of the HLT6176s going to the audio receiver and receive sound through all the input sources when I switch back and forth from dvd to satellite for example. This would seem like an easy way to get the surround sound I need with one optical cable. Does anyone know if this can be done this way?

No you will need to run digital audio from each device to the receiver.

Ross
post #656 of 1965 Old 08-03-2007, 06:11 AM

Quote:

For the warranty, there was no way in hell I was paying what CC wanted. I registered with Samsung to get an extra 3 months, and bought a service plan from Tapeworks Texas.

I've seen this mentioned a few times now. So you're purchasing a service plan from a different site than where you purchased the TV. I've checked out Tapeworks' website and don't see any links to even find details about a service plan. I'm curious, how did you purchase this plan and how would I find out the cost and coverage?
post #657 of 1965 Old 08-03-2007, 06:58 AM

Well I decided to trade the 6176 in for the LCD 4661, I hated to go down in size, but decided I was too A*** to just let the bowing continue. Couldn't seem to stop looking for it. LOL anyway, I told the wife, we would give it some time and see if they get it fixed. (I'll keep reading the threads) and maybe put the 46 Sammy in another room and get the 6176 back again down the road. I miss the size and the overall PQ. But such is life. Sometimes I really wish I could just let the little stuff go.... I do think the folks who decided to live with it will like it allot in the long run. As long as the HDMI and popping noises don't become a problem.
post #658 of 1965 Old 08-03-2007, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energyslasher View Post

Well I decided to trade the 6176 in for the LCD 4661, I hated to go down in size, but decided I was too A*** to just let the bowing continue. Couldn't seem to stop looking for it. LOL anyway, I told the wife, we would give it some time and see if they get it fixed. (I'll keep reading the threads) and maybe put the 46 Sammy in another room and get the 6176 back again down the road. I miss the size and the overall PQ. But such is life. Sometimes I really wish I could just let the little stuff go.... I do think the folks who decided to live with it will like it allot in the long run. As long as the HDMI and popping noises don't become a problem.

Man, bowing or no bowing, I couldn't go froma 61 to a 46, that must of seemed really small when you first set it up. How is the PQ compared to the 76.

I was watching the dodgers game on ESPNHD2 last night and thinking again, wow, this thing is clear. It seemed on certain shots, you could reach through the screen and touch the ball. I think this thing has some of the best natural looking color I have even seen. I wonder if that extra color in the wheel makes the difference. I love how I can adjust the green only so I can ge the grass looking just how I want.
post #659 of 1965 Old 08-03-2007, 08:09 AM

Hello everyone. This is my first post on AVS. I've read through this entire thread after (unfortunately) already purchasing the HLT5076S through Amazon. If any of you haven't seen their price on it lately, you should take a look. At about $1360 it still seems like a good deal despite the "bowing" issues I've become so familiar with over the last couple days of reading this thread. I was so struck by the picture quality of the TV at my local BB that I didn't notice the bowing. Now that I've gone back and looked at there HLT**76 units I do notice the bowing. I'm hoping my unit will be one of the better ones and that I can overlook the problem. Has anyone out there had any experience with returning a TV to Amazon recently? I would think the bowing would qualify it as a defective unit if I did indeed try to return it.
post #660 of 1965 Old 08-03-2007, 08:14 AM

I have an OPPO DV-971HD that only does upscaling to 1080i. I'm curious if anyone has experience with this player and the HL-TXX76 line. Does the TV handle the 1080i signal well, and do you think the PQ would be much different from a 1080p upscaling player? Also curious about the HL-TXX76 general DVD PQ performance as opposed to my current 37" 720p Polaroid LCD. We'll be watching a lot of standard DVDs until Bluray players drop in price.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page