AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH07xx View Post

Are the HLS last years model?

Yes. The HL-S models are the 2006 version.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1965 Old 08-13-2007, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The HL-T6756 has HLT (current year ) electronics in a sturdier case. I would not characterize the case as HLS since it does not have the silver bar.
post #723 of 1965 Old 08-13-2007, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by brophog View Post

They may just not notice it, or perhaps they are lucky. We're not alone here, imo. I've personally gone to dozens of stores looking at Samsungs, as have others, and every one has a geometry problem.

After reading this thread (and my set is due today) I went to about 5 local stores and NONE had geometry problems. Must be REAL hit and miss. Yes, I looked for about 10 minutes per set.

How do you get the internal test pattern up?
post #724 of 1965 Old 08-13-2007, 07:58 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarson1 View Post

Must be REAL hit and miss.

I think it's more "Hit" then it is "Miss".

I've been to 4 different stores around me and every single one had an issue. Some were better then others. One store was about 60 miles away from where I live, as I stopped by on the way home from a work.

I have a 60 A3000 coming in soon to replace my Samsung. It's sad because I really like the picture but the geometry issue is a flat out deal breaker.
post #725 of 1965 Old 08-13-2007, 10:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post

The HL-T6756 has HLT (current year ) electronics in a sturdier case. I would not characterize the case as HLS since it does not have the silver bar.

Right. That's why I wrote:

"It's a HL-T in modified HL-S clothes."

The HL-T case retains the HL-S rigidity and depth.
post #726 of 1965 Old 08-13-2007, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdspringer98 View Post

Take it back, don't waste your hard earned money by "living with it". Samsung really botched the HL-T series this year. Every store I've been to has had the HL-T on display and almost all of them clearly showed the smile. Personally, I'd avoid Sammy in 2007-08

Then what would you recommend, besides the Sony TVs people have mentioned here. (I don't buy Sony anymore.)

Procrastination is the thief of time.
-- Edward Young

They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.

-- Benjamin Franklin

You shouldn't mix meditation with management.
The mind gets too empty.

-- Scott Adams, "Dilbert"
post #727 of 1965 Old 08-13-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post

Then what would you recommend, besides the Sony TVs people have mentioned here. (I don't buy Sony anymore.)

If you don't buy Sony's you may want to try the 833 series Mitsubishi set's.

The only thing you won't get with Mit's is 1080p over component but you will get some more features in turn.
post #728 of 1965 Old 08-13-2007, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDP33 View Post

If you don't buy Sony's you may want to try the 833 series Mitsubishi set's.

The only thing you won't get with Mit's is 1080p over component but you will get some more features in turn.

Thanks, I haven't really considered Mitsubishi and JVC TVs, but I should. I haven't done any research on them. So the Mitsu 833 model is getting good reviews? I can live w/o 1080p over component since I plan to use HDMI between the TV, receiver, and HD-DVD/DVD player (whatever player I wind up getting).

I'm also curious on the Costco model of the Samsung DLP TV (the HL-T in HL-S clothes). Do they also come in 50", 56", and 61" screen sizes or just 67"? Has anyone who has bought a Coscto Samsung DLP TV had bowing/smiley face problems?

-- Edward Young

-- Benjamin Franklin

The mind gets too empty.

post #729 of 1965 Old 08-13-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:

Thanks, I haven't really considered Mitsubishi and JVC TVs, but I should. I haven't done any research on them. So the Mitsu 833 model is getting good reviews? I can live w/o 1080p over component since I plan to use HDMI between the TV, receiver, and HD-DVD/DVD player (whatever player I wind up getting).

I'm also curious on the Costco model of the Samsung DLP TV (the HL-T in HL-S clothes). Do they also come in 50", 56", and 61" screen sizes or just 67"? Has anyone who has bought a Coscto Samsung DLP TV had bowing/smiley face problems?

It hasn't receieved any reviews yet but it is replacing the 831 series which was CNET's editors pick last year.

It will have PIP, 120hz refresh, xv color, deep color, HDMI 1.3 etc.

4 HDMI's
3 Components also
post #730 of 1965 Old 08-13-2007, 06:30 PM

Boy o BOY

Man at these prices maybe its worth tryin to wait for a fix..

BTW what is the difference between the HLT6156w and the HLT6176s?

Also I could not notice ANY bowing on the 6156w...maybe these models are good?
post #731 of 1965 Old 08-13-2007, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Cusack View Post

Boy o BOY

BTW what is the difference between the HLT6156w and the HLT6176s?

Also I could not notice ANY bowing on the 6156w...maybe these models are good?

The 76 is the slim one.

Damn good prices.

Ernie
.: DVD Profiler :.

post #732 of 1965 Old 08-13-2007, 09:59 PM

you guys should read the thread on the 67 ,the case might be more sturdy but mine and many others have geom issues,putting paper under its edges do nothing to help the prob
post #733 of 1965 Old 08-13-2007, 10:21 PM

I've decided I am going to give the HL-T6756W a shot. I'm hoping to pick it up Wednesday or Thursday. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
post #734 of 1965 Old 08-14-2007, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Reminder

No pricing other than MSRP or discussion on where to buy.

Thanks

Quick Reference of Forum Rules
1) Do Not post pricing you found on-line or at a local dealer UNLESS IN A DEALS THREAD.
2) Do Not ask for, or offer, a receipt so people can price match.
3) Do Not say to "Call John Smith at ..." (you know what I mean)
4) Do Not put down someone else's choice in...

post #735 of 1965 Old 08-14-2007, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Worms View Post

The 76 is the slim one.

Damn good prices.

Wait so you guys have not even tried the 56Ws just because they are not the slim versions??? Its just as new as the 76s series only it doesnt have 3 HDMI inputs....and I saw no bowing....

Please tell me there are other reasons why no one has tried out this series!
post #736 of 1965 Old 08-14-2007, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDP33 View Post

It hasn't receieved any reviews yet but it is replacing the 831 series which was CNET's editors pick last year.

It will have PIP, 120hz refresh, xv color, deep color, HDMI 1.3 etc.

4 HDMI's
3 Components also

Thanks, it does look like a nice TV and is much thinner than last year's Mitsubishi DLPs. However, the thin footprint, like these Samsungs, concern me re: bowing, smiley face, flimsiness, etc.

I also read about the 734 model on Mitsubishi's Web site. It seems to have similar specs (albeit no 120 Hz refresh) and also HDMI 1.3. And it's currently available for sale for a much better price than an equivalent size 833, which can only be pre-ordered right now. (I was looking at 1 call.)

Edit: Here are the differences between the new Mitsubishi DLP TVs.

733 series

Models

* 57-inch WD-57733 ($2,500)
* 65-inch WD-65733 ($2,999)
* 73-inch WD-73733 ($4,700)

Features

* Three HDMI 1.3 inputs with Simplay HD certification
* Three component video inputs (two rear, one front)
* USB port for photo viewing

734 series

Models

* 57-inch WD-57734 ($2,799)
* 65-inch WD-65734 (no pricing)

Features

* Same as the 733 series, plus:
* PerfectTint, for additional customization of display settings.
* NetCommand, which is designed to let the TV control a rack full of A/V gear, much like a universal remote.
* An additional front HDMI input.

"Diamond" 833 series

Models

* 57-inch WD-57833 ($3,399)
* 65-inch WD-65833 ($3,999)
* 73-inch WD-73833 ($5,899)

Features

* Same as the 734 series, plus:
* FireWire port
* RS-232 input
* Smooth120Hz, which appears to be Mitsubishi's name for 120Hz refresh rate. A 120Hz refresh rate supposedly creates a smoother image during fast-motion scenes, although we have yet to test it with Mitsubishi or other manufacturers.
* TV Guide On Screen, a built-in electronic program guide.
* Game FX, which is 3D gaming functionality, although there are no current titles that support it.

-- Edward Young

-- Benjamin Franklin

The mind gets too empty.

post #737 of 1965 Old 08-14-2007, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wait so you guys have not even tried the 56Ws just because they are not the slim versions??? Its just as new as the 76s series only it doesnt have 3 HDMI inputs....and I saw no bowing....

Isn't that the Costco model? Not everyone has a Costco membership. Sure, one can sign up for it. Also, one would most likely have to pay tax on it. I personally have never even been to a Costco.

-- Edward Young

-- Benjamin Franklin

The mind gets too empty.

post #738 of 1965 Old 08-14-2007, 10:54 AM

Quote:

Isn't that the Costco model? Not everyone has a Costco membership. Sure, one can sign up for it. Also, one would most likely have to pay tax on it. I personally have never even been to a Costco.

I saw it at sam's club though for 1889 with stand! But it only had 2 HDMI inputs. I dunno whats the whole dela on this tv...but I gotta find out because the PQ seem to be equal with the 76s series as far as I could tell.
post #739 of 1965 Old 08-14-2007, 12:04 PM

I just got the 5076s model. Arrived from Amazon via truck. SLIGHT geo issues, but the picture is SO darn good and tweakable, I'll probably live with it. MAN, the picture goes way funky if you press on the screen.

Too bad I cant put the center on top. The HLS model I had before 42xxsomethin, didnt seem this fragile. I MAY call service and see if they can do anything, but it is ONLY noticable when there is a horizontal line on the set about 5" from the bottom. Other than that, it looks perfect. Seems like the screen material is so weak that IT sags (sorta). Wish I could put glass in there...
post #740 of 1965 Old 08-14-2007, 02:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

You are in the wrong thread.

Samsung HL-T6156W 1080p DLP

Samsung HL-T67xxW info **NO PRICE TALK OR WHERE TO BUY!!
post #741 of 1965 Old 08-14-2007, 07:04 PM

Wow, what a great thread. Thanks everyone for the posts. I've felt very identified with many of the posters here.

I purchased the hlt-6176S from Brandsmart about a month ago to put in my basement. I was so psyched by the picture quality but within an hour discovered the horrific smiley face (which name I picked up from this thread).

After finding the smiley face on my new set, I stumbled into this conversation. I read the entire set in one night like it was a soap opera. Too funny. I too am one of the guys that has bought a set, returned it, etc. with my wife hauling huge tv's around with me and who now only wants me to be at peace and move beyond this so we can just be happy with whatever we have.

I scoured the circuit city stores and best buy stores over the next few days with some homemade horizontal jpgs (and some other patterns and color sets) I made and stored on a USB keyring device ("What a dork" my wife says). After reading this thread, I had to see if all the sets were as bad as mine. I also wanted to try the LED lamp based set to see if it suffered as my set did. I had convinced myself I'd pay 10% more to get a set without the bowing. All the sales people in the stores said I was the first person they had seen who had ever brought in a USB key with these "cool images", and of course, they had no idea there was a problem with the set, but everyone that did see (at least 4 sales reps) said, "Yeah, I see exactly what you are talking about". All of the new slimline sets, lamp based and LED based, this years model and last years were ALL showing the smiley face. I tested around 12 sets.

So, I returned my first set to Brandsmart, thinking a replacement MIGHT help. They even let me unbox 2 sets in the store to see if I liked one to take home. (PS, I have a new level of respect for brandsmart customer support). Unfortunately, I gave in and took the second set even though I wasn't happy with it. This set, in fact, ended up being worse than the first, and also has the mushroom light issue (discussed earlier in this forum) which I saw when I got it home.

I then went to check out the Sony A2020 to see if I liked it after reading what everyone says in this thread. I wasn't quite convinced. I only looked at two Sonys, and the Sony picture looked very colorful and bright, but was definitely not as sharp as the Samsung DLP. I already thought the Samsung wasn't true 1080P in "sharpness" so I definitely wasn't going to settle for blurrier. Just as a note, I have a Sony CRT HD 32" set which I like fine, and an Aquos 32" LCD. The Sony A2020 has limitations with PC connections, which I really care about.

A friend at work almost convinced me to go with a projector, but after digging into the real ownership issues, I decided I could wait a couple of years for them to work out the remaining kinks (heat, noise, limitations with ambient light, auto-shut off times, rainbows!, digital noise with fast motion!<- Most of these are problems that "standard" tv's have worked out in the last 2 years).

Anyway, I've grown accustomed to my Samsung set. The picture is just too good for the $ to let go of. I don't like the bowing, but I'm getting used to it. I have a 3 yr warranty and I am hoping Samsung will come up with a fix/solution for this problem. Ironically, I was very worried about how the smiley face would impact playability on an Xbox 360, which I definitely plan to get. I borrowed a friends 360, and it looked VERY good. Instead of noticing the bowing, in fact, I really enjoyed playing Tiger Woods Golf and especially Oblivion and didn't notice the curves.

Microware1970, I am very interested in your post. Could you post a picture of where you placed your shims? I also didn't understand what you are saying about a board underneath the system. Any chance you can post some edited images of your set and an example of what it's been able to do for your smiley face?

I don't care if I get this set perfect, but I would very much like to get the curves diminished. I'll probably get the set serviced for the mushroom light at a minimum.

I have noticed that if I pull back the top of the set, kind of like running your hand through your hair, that the bowing diminishes greatly. I'm thinking of how I could rig a setup to "pull back" the top of the set without damaging the set so I can return it if I need to in the next few months.

At this point, I think I'd like to make an issue with Samsung since there appears to be a growing awareness with customers and Samsung as to the extent of this problem. It seems that if I can help add to the issue, the problem has a better chance of getting resolved for all of us.

I have a 3 yr warranty with Brandsmart, but I think I'd rather take the issue up directly with Samsung to see what I get out of it.

Has anyone had any new revelations in working with Samsung support in the last couple of weeks?
post #742 of 1965 Old 08-14-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmgnet View Post

Wow, what a great thread. Thanks everyone for the posts. I've felt very identified with many of the posters here.

I purchased the hlt-6176S from Brandsmart about a month ago to put in my basement. I was so psyched by the picture quality but within an hour discovered the horrific smiley face (which name I picked up from this thread).

After finding the smiley face on my new set, I stumbled into this conversation. I read the entire set in one night like it was a soap opera. Too funny. I too am one of the guys that has bought a set, returned it, etc. with my wife hauling huge tv's around with me and who now only wants me to be at peace and move beyond this so we can just be happy with whatever we have.

I scoured the circuit city stores and best buy stores over the next few days with some homemade horizontal jpgs (and some other patterns and color sets) I made and stored on a USB keyring device ("What a dork" my wife says). After reading this thread, I had to see if all the sets were as bad as mine. I also wanted to try the LED lamp based set to see if it suffered as my set did. I had convinced myself I'd pay 10% more to get a set without the bowing. All the sales people in the stores said I was the first person they had seen who had ever brought in a USB key with these "cool images", and of course, they had no idea there was a problem with the set, but everyone that did see (at least 4 sales reps) said, "Yeah, I see exactly what you are talking about". All of the new slimline sets, lamp based and LED based, this years model and last years were ALL showing the smiley face. I tested around 12 sets.

So, I returned my first set to Brandsmart, thinking a replacement MIGHT help. They even let me unbox 2 sets in the store to see if I liked one to take home. (PS, I have a new level of respect for brandsmart customer support). Unfortunately, I gave in and took the second set even though I wasn't happy with it. This set, in fact, ended up being worse than the first, and also has the mushroom light issue (discussed earlier in this forum) which I saw when I got it home.

I then went to check out the Sony A2020 to see if I liked it after reading what everyone says in this thread. I wasn't quite convinced. I only looked at two Sonys, and the Sony picture looked very colorful and bright, but was definitely not as sharp as the Samsung DLP. I already thought the Samsung wasn't true 1080P in "sharpness" so I definitely wasn't going to settle for blurrier. Just as a note, I have a Sony CRT HD 32" set which I like fine, and an Aquos 32" LCD. The Sony A2020 has limitations with PC connections, which I really care about.

A friend at work almost convinced me to go with a projector, but after digging into the real ownership issues, I decided I could wait a couple of years for them to work out the remaining kinks (heat, noise, limitations with ambient light, auto-shut off times, rainbows!, digital noise with fast motion!<- Most of these are problems that "standard" tv's have worked out in the last 2 years).

Anyway, I've grown accustomed to my Samsung set. The picture is just too good for the $ to let go of. I don't like the bowing, but I'm getting used to it. I have a 3 yr warranty and I am hoping Samsung will come up with a fix/solution for this problem. Ironically, I was very worried about how the smiley face would impact playability on an Xbox 360, which I definitely plan to get. I borrowed a friends 360, and it looked VERY good. Instead of noticing the bowing, in fact, I really enjoyed playing Tiger Woods Golf and especially Oblivion and didn't notice the curves.

Microware1970, I am very interested in your post. Could you post a picture of where you placed your shims? I also didn't understand what you are saying about a board underneath the system. Any chance you can post some edited images of your set and an example of what it's been able to do for your smiley face?

I don't care if I get this set perfect, but I would very much like to get the curves diminished. I'll probably get the set serviced for the mushroom light at a minimum.

I have noticed that if I pull back the top of the set, kind of like running your hand through your hair, that the bowing diminishes greatly. I'm thinking of how I could rig a setup to "pull back" the top of the set without damaging the set so I can return it if I need to in the next few months.

At this point, I think I'd like to make an issue with Samsung since there appears to be a growing awareness with customers and Samsung as to the extent of this problem. It seems that if I can help add to the issue, the problem has a better chance of getting resolved for all of us.

I have a 3 yr warranty with Brandsmart, but I think I'd rather take the issue up directly with Samsung to see what I get out of it.

Has anyone had any new revelations in working with Samsung support in the last couple of weeks?

I have called several times and had tech's out here. You need to speak with someone from the ECR department. So far I have gotten nowhere but they will be letting me know what they are going to do shortly. They should pay me for all that I have been through with 3 exchanges and service calls. I still have 10 days left to return to CC. I am waiting and hoping other people call so they can see what a problem this really is.
PS - Does anyone have any other advice about the RBE? I tried it all contrast down, ambient lighting.
Also, has anyone found out why on scenes like a striped tie, fence, gate, crowd, anything with detail flickers over dish's vip 211 through HDMI. Is it this set also causing this problem?
post #743 of 1965 Old 08-14-2007, 10:43 PM

Nobody ever seems to answer questions here, but here goes anywho..

Anyone have starting calibration settings for the HLT5076s? I am about to throw DVE out the window. The nav is AWEFUL!
post #744 of 1965 Old 08-14-2007, 10:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarson1 View Post

Nobody ever seems to answer questions here, but here goes anywho..

You've got to be kidding.

Quote:

Anyone have starting calibration settings for the HLT5076s? I am about to throw DVE out the window. The nav is AWEFUL!

If you follow the links starting with the owner's calibration link at the bottom of my post you will find good settings to start the process and a tutorial on using DVE done by www.avical.com.

Don't worry that the settings are not for your model. Try them.
post #745 of 1965 Old 08-15-2007, 09:18 AM

no offense but how are settings for an LED light source set going to work for a lamp based set? I am not a professional calibrator but they would seem to be apples and oranges.
post #746 of 1965 Old 08-15-2007, 09:27 AM

Here are some settings for THIS set that I stumbled across in another thread(haven't been able to find it again..lol) They seem to work very well.

Movie
Contrast:27
Brightness:51 (I adjusted to 58 as this was to dark for PS3 and dark scenes)
Sharpness:40
Color:65
Tint: G-55 R-45
Color Tone:Normal
Everything else OFF

I have used these settings with my DirecTV HD receiver, PS3, and upconverting DVD player and am very satisfied. I hope they work for you as well.
post #747 of 1965 Old 08-15-2007, 09:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderFanDan View Post

no offense but how are settings for an LED light source set going to work for a lamp based set? I am not a professional calibrator but they would seem to be apples and oranges.

Some settings are the same for all Samsung DLP models starting in 2002, but the main reason that it works is that they are just starter settings. To get the best PQ, short of a professional calibration, using a calibration disk like DVE is necessary.
post #748 of 1965 Old 08-15-2007, 09:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderFanDan View Post

Here are some settings for THIS set that I stumbled across in another thread(haven't been able to find it again..lol) They seem to work very well.

Sharpness:40

Everything else OFF

The professionals usually set Sharpness to zero because of it's negative effect on PQ. It's included in the "Everything else OFF" group.
post #749 of 1965 Old 08-15-2007, 09:51 AM

All I know is that these settings work...try them you'll like them LOL!!!
post #750 of 1965 Old 08-15-2007, 10:02 AM

Tried the starter settings posted in the thread and I think the settings I posted work better for my HL-T6176s but to each his own. People were asking for settings though and I had found those and thought I would share the knowledge. The settings were originally posted by Tone-Loc and he got them using a DVE calibration disk.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page