2007 Samsung HL-Txx76 Owner's Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 1965 Old 09-24-2007, 06:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello folks,

I've browsed through this and many other similar threads. Due to the premature death of my Samsung 27" 4:3 HDTV (less than 5 years old), I ended up the market for a big screen sooner than I thought.

Initially I was going for the HL-T5075S, but my wife and I were disappointed in the picture we saw in-store. It had major geometry issues with vertical and horizontal lines; it also showed strange shimmering with some high contrast white lines & text. This week the HL-T5076S had a pretty good sale, so I was deciding between that and a Sony 50A2020 for about the same money. Looking at the HL-Txx76S models in different stores, it seemed that most of them had what appeared to be acceptable geometry, with one of the 50" models looking really screwed up.

We got the HL-T5076S and set it up last night. The geometry seemed in the bottom 30% compared to in store models; horizontal lines seems to be tiled counter clockwise a few degrees. I measured about a .5" rise across the bottom & top, which is around 12-13mm. Certainly out of spec compared to Samsung's 7mm standard. What surprised me is that the horizontal lines are even warped in the center of the screen. However, the vertical lines all appear to be very straight. When watching 4:3 content with vertical lines, I could not measure a difference between ends.

I don't know if I would attribute these issues entirely to the TV frame. The sides seem quite strong, and I could not affect the image by applying pressure on the sides. Certainly the image tilting is not due to the top bezel. The curvature in the center of the screen may be due to slight screen bulging, but that doesn't go away by pulling on the top bezel.

In any case, my wife and I watched the DVD Wild Hogs on my Pansonic RP82 progressive scan DVD player, which some may remember as a classic, highly regarded 480p DVD player with a Faroudja (sp?) chip in it. I was completely stunned. The image was flawless. I have not even touched the colors on the set, but I did turn off DNIE and set the image mode from Dynamic to Standard. The colors are all so pure, accurate, and intense when they need to be. To our eyes this TV is *plenty* bright, and we even turned the brightness down below 50. You cannot see any pixels, and there is of course zero screen door effect. The black bars on top & bottom (probably 2.35:1 content) just blend in to the background.

This is when I realized why most people never return their sets; in normal viewing, especially movies with complex imagery, you will very rarely notice a problem. In either case, I didn't know how good DVD could look, so that was above my expectations.

I hooked up my Dish Network SD DVR via composite video. The image looked pretty bad; basically it looked very blurry, which is not the TV's fault. Then I hooked up the S-video, and it made an improvement. We like to view normal TV in 4:3 mode, and the geometry issues are obviously less severe on this setting. After 10 minutes or so we got used to the PQ and it is fine.

The last thing I tested was my GameCube with component video cables. Wow! Very very impressive. Sure you can see some of the pixel lines, but the screen is completely faithful in presentation. I left it on game mode, though the difference is not immediately obvious.

So all in all, I am very impressed with the TV. We could live with the geometry issues, but I just may swap it for a new one at Circuit City in a few days. I am not inclined to switch to the Sony A2020.

-Cooper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1965 Old 09-25-2007, 05:24 AM

Well last night I ended up tweaking the adjustment screws in the top-back of the TV. After loosening the 4 phillips head screws, I tweaked the two flat head screws. This very easily corrected most of the image tilt problem that I had. Now horizontal lines on the bottom of the screen are quite flat, except for the last couple inches on the right side. There is still some bowing of horizontal lines in the center of the screen, but seems less pronounced; I wouldn't be surprised if the TV is now "within spec" of 7mm.

I'm pretty sure I'll be keeping this TV. I am quite happy with the image now. On the other hand, anyone obsessive about perfect geometry should probably not buy a Samsung HL-T. It would be easier to just go for a Sony A2020 or 3000. Personally, I'm willing to sacrifice a little geometry for increased clarity and maybe slightly better color accuracy; no TV is perfect!

One oddity I noticed: after I activate the service mode of the TV, all my TV settings are reset! I do the Mute-1-8-2-Power sequence, check a test pattern, then turn the TV off. I wait a few seconds then turn the TV back on. All the inputs are back to "Dynamic" mode and my input names have disappeared. Is this normal?

-Cooper
post #993 of 1965 Old 09-25-2007, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
cooper2112,
I believe that's normal. It does the same to my HL-T.
post #994 of 1965 Old 09-25-2007, 04:32 PM

I went to BB today and they had a sammy LCD 4071f playing POTC DMC on Blu-Ray. I was wondering....the PQ was soooooo super clear and detailed I could see all imperfections on everyone....it was insane!! I have seen POTC part 1 on the HLt6176s but it was nowhere near!!! that sharp and detailed....so I am wondering...

Is that just the way POTC Dead mans chest looks on blu-ray? or is that that sammy LCDs 1080p 25,000:1 contrast ratio kicking in or something??? I swear I don't remember it looking like that on the sammy DLP.

It was like some kind of SUPER Hi-Res!!! Insane!
post #995 of 1965 Old 09-25-2007, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper2112 View Post

One oddity I noticed: after I activate the service mode of the TV, all my TV settings are reset! I do the Mute-1-8-2-Power sequence, check a test pattern, then turn the TV off. I wait a few seconds then turn the TV back on. All the inputs are back to "Dynamic" mode and my input names have disappeared. Is this normal?

-Cooper

Normal for all SS DLP's

Chris
post #996 of 1965 Old 09-25-2007, 11:06 PM

Just hooked up my 6176. Lovin the settings I got from (read) here.

No bowing issues here. I bought a solid stand. Nice chrome / tempered glass combo by Z line designs. Solid as a rock. Still have to update the cable hook up so I can pick up the HD channels though. Coax doesn't seem to do it. Maybe it's the box or I need to try component cables (box to TV)

EDIT NEW ISSUE HERE: Watching Minn vs Purdue on ESPN through coax cable, SD channel There are blurs and blotches (darker green tones) blotchy throughout the turf field. These blotches move, disappear and reappear as the action movbes around. Any one know of the problem and if there is a solution? My settings are Movie etc as discussed on this thread. IS it my cable box,? the coax hookup?, the SD channel? Help. Thanks.
post #997 of 1965 Old 09-26-2007, 07:04 AM

I know this information is already in the thread, but for those wondering about the screw adjustments:

1. These only affect the overall tilt of the screen, and mostly only the bottom.
2. There are 6 screws, all in a horizontal line, across the upper back part of the TV. The four phillips head screws secure the mirror in place once it's been adjusted, so they must be loosened first. You should be able to see a silverish metal behind them. The two adjustment screws are standard flat-head screws. They are bigger, and closer to the center, but I believe they're in line with the other 4.
3. Just a quarter turn of an adjustment screw will significantly alter the screen tilt at the bottom; I adjusted mine with a test pattern on the bottom of the screen so I could see immediately.

The very bottom of the TV is quite flat, but it starts to smile a couple inches up and continues past the middle of the screen. This looks to me like screen bulge more than anything, as pulling on the bezel doesn't fix the smiling much.

-Cooper
post #998 of 1965 Old 09-26-2007, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper2112 View Post

Well last night I ended up tweaking the adjustment screws in the top-back of the TV. After loosening the 4 phillips head screws, I tweaked the two flat head screws. This very easily corrected most of the image tilt problem that I had. Now horizontal lines on the bottom of the screen are quite flat, except for the last couple inches on the right side. There is still some bowing of horizontal lines in the center of the screen, but seems less pronounced; I wouldn't be surprised if the TV is now "within spec" of 7mm.

I'm pretty sure I'll be keeping this TV. I am quite happy with the image now. On the other hand, anyone obsessive about perfect geometry should probably not buy a Samsung HL-T. It would be easier to just go for a Sony A2020 or 3000. Personally, I'm willing to sacrifice a little geometry for increased clarity and maybe slightly better color accuracy; no TV is perfect!

-Cooper

Yep. Great picture...poor geometry!
I'm curious about how you adjusted this. My service tech said he couldn't find these adjustment screws. Could you post a photo of the back of your set?
Also, you described this as an improvement of your "image tilt problem". Is this the same as the bow issue or did you correct a trapezoid image on your screen?
post #999 of 1965 Old 09-26-2007, 08:59 AM

I just got a T5076S and I have not seen any geometry issues, or color problems. Yes I had to go in and turn all the color levels down just so I wouldn't blind myself in the BRIGHT picture this TV puts off.

My only problem, and I guess question is this... How in the world do I turn off the Automatic discovery mode for video sources. I can't get my HTPC to work right through VGA, because ATI's catylst control center won't let me enable the screen until I change over to that video source, and the TV won't let me change over to the source until I enable the video.

I do have a DVI to HDMI cable on order and on the way, but that will take a few days to get here. I want to test this TV out enough before the time expires on my ability to easily take the TV back.

Thanks
post #1000 of 1965 Old 09-26-2007, 02:49 PM

Anyone have an answer for this problem?

Watching Minn vs Purdue on ESPN through coax cable, SD channel ESPN2. There are blurs and blotches (darker green tones) blotchy throughout the turf field. These blotches move, disappear and reappear as the action moves around. Any one know of the problem and if there is a solution? My settings are Movie etc as discussed on this thread. Is it my cable box? the coax hookup?, the SD channel? Help. Thanks.

I am swapping out the old box for the HD cable box just to pick up some HD channels today. I wish Comcast had more than 15 or 16 non subscription HD channels though.
post #1001 of 1965 Old 09-26-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsnut28 View Post

Anyone have an answer for this problem?

Watching Minn vs Purdue on ESPN through coax cable, SD channel ESPN2. There are blurs and blotches (darker green tones) blotchy throughout the turf field. These blotches move, disappear and reappear as the action moves around. Any one know of the problem and if there is a solution? My settings are Movie etc as discussed on this thread. Is it my cable box? the coax hookup?, the SD channel? Help. Thanks.

I am swapping out the old box for the HD cable box just to pick up some HD channels today. I wish Comcast had more than 15 or 16 non subscription HD channels though.

I'm not sure if this is your issue, but all field turf looks like *bleep* because there are blotches on the field. That is because they put ground up tire rubber on the field. It has a tendency to pile up in certain areas. This leads to dark green or black blotches on the field. Different camera angles with cause it to show up more. Not sure if this is your issue, but if it only shows up when you watch field turf games that may be it.

edit: Looked up the Metrodome info. Field turf was installed in 2004. The rubber is usually replaced every 3 years. This is when the blotchiness is at it's worst. After more play it is better distributed, and is ground more into the surface. I am an Ohio State fan, and they just installed field turf. It looks horrible, and there are clear dark green and black lines/blotches on the field. As the camera moves, the blotches that are no longer directly in front of the camera disappear, but new ones show up because they are now in direct sight line with the camera. Since you are watching in SD they are probably blurred more and look like a problem with the tv. In HD it's clear it's a part of the field.
post #1002 of 1965 Old 09-26-2007, 08:38 PM

[quote=Joey Cusack;11708760]Wow, all this time and still problems....well hey..

Like most people are starting to do you need to take some action against Samsung. Too many people are letting them get away with this. I am on tv #5. Check out this link and I think Samsung will start listening a little.
http://biz.yahoo.com/ts/070911/10378876.html?.v=3
post #1003 of 1965 Old 09-28-2007, 09:26 AM

I just got mine from amazon. Delivery was excellent but i also have the samsung smile i would say its less than 1/4 in on both sides. Now just have to decide which is more annoying that or the purple prism on the led set i returned.....lol
post #1004 of 1965 Old 09-28-2007, 10:45 AM

Wrong thread, sorry.
post #1005 of 1965 Old 09-29-2007, 02:59 PM

THIS IS A COPY OF A POSTING I PUT ON THE SONY KDS**A2020 OWNER'S THREAD:

As another poster noted, most people read these postings because they are considering buying a KDS, or having a problem with the one they have.

For those of you considering buying a KDS, I just dumped a Samsung 61" DLP for a KDS60A2020. My first day opinion is WOOHOO! Whether or not I'll feel this way a few months down the road...only time will tell. I owned the Samsung for 8 months. I put up with curvature of the edges of the picture, a tilted picture, screen going blank and losing input sources frequently, very noisy cooling fan, light engine replacement..netting me a light engine with a picture inferior to my original, service technicians who failed to show up for appointments and didn't return phone calls, and three levels of customer care reps that had no technical knowledge whatsoever and refused to admit known issues with their TV's.
Go look at the Samsung HLT owners thread, and look at all the postings about bowed edges, and tilted pictures. I had this, the HLT I looked at at Sam's Club had this, the one at Circuit City had this, but in all fairness, I saw one at Sears that did not. Samsung's Customer Care said they weren't aware of this issue. Come on. Anyway, tired of all the hassle, I contacted the store manager of Sam's Club (where I bought the Samsung), who worked out a very favorable deal for me to dump the Samsung and take home the Sony.
I can't say enough about Sam's Club. Every "big ticket" item I buy will be from them from now on, even if they aren't the lowest price.
Sam's Sony model# is KDS60AL120. The AL in the number means it comes with a Sony stand. The TV is marked KDS60A2020. This is a KDS60A2000 with a black case. Sam's Club price is $1987.32 including stand.
I did think the Samsungs had brighter pictures in the showrooms than the KDS, but that was in the showrooms. One of the first things I did with the Samsung was turn down the brightness when it was in my living room, so I see no advantage to the Samsung's brightness. Picture quality in HD between the two sets was virtually indistinguishable. Picture quality in SD was better with the Sony after some cursory adjustment.
As I said...right now I feel very good about dumping the Samsung. We will see what happens as time goes by. For now...

Goodby to:
Clay faces
Bowed picture
Tilted picture
Noisy fan
Blank screens
Lost signal sources
Inferior light engine replacement
Flimsy screen and case
Missed service appointment
Very poor customer care

Hello to:
Razor straight picture edges
Dead level picture
Silent fan
Flat screen and rock solid case
Endless tweaking menus
Better SD picture
Much better sound

POSTED FOR ALL THE FENCE SITTERS OUT THERE. I WAS ONE AND
WOULD HAVE LOVED TO COME ACCROSS A POST LIKE THIS.
post #1006 of 1965 Old 09-30-2007, 09:46 AM

You forgot to say goodbye to 1080p over component..
post #1007 of 1965 Old 09-30-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarson1 View Post

AHAHAHAHAHHAHAA. Goodbye to glare reduction also.
post #1008 of 1965 Old 10-02-2007, 05:49 AM

My Samsung HL-T5676 DLP Review:

I read these forums about the Samsung DLP's and NEARLY didn't buy it because of this. I was reading better reviews on Sony DLPs, but didnt like the bulkiness and poor picture at the store. So I went ahead and bought the Samsung.

I hooked it up to regular cable w/out a box, my yamaha reciever, speakers, surround, sub, and my yamaha DVD 5disc.

The picture is AMAZING with regular cable. Circuit City showed us a DLP without HD cable and it looked awful. I suppose they intentionally do this to sell you cable as well... Football will NEVER be the same! However, we are getting DVR-HD soon!

DVD's are fantastic as well! What a picture!! We have alot of windows in our TV room and the glare that was on the tube TV is now GONE!!! We couldn't be more happy with our 56" DLP!!!

Cheers!!!

Jon
post #1009 of 1965 Old 10-02-2007, 07:14 PM

OMG. I looked at the 76S in Circuit City today and the reports about severe picture distortion from pressing on the cabinet are totally true...as are the reports about the flimsyness of the cabinet.

By pressing only "medium" hard on the cab at the top of the screen, I could deflect (and warp) the picture by at least 3 or 4 inches. I could also grab the trim piece at the top of the cab and easily lift it up enough to slide my fingers under it. If it were strong enough you could use it as a handle to carry the TV around.

I also saw the 87S slim line and the geometry issue was incredibly bad. Samsung did themselves a REAL DIS-SERVICE by releasing these things. Seriously. This coming from someone who likes Samsung and will probably buy their T5884 plasma.
post #1010 of 1965 Old 10-03-2007, 10:43 PM

My replacement (via samsung) 5076s is due on Friday. Is there anyone with a straight one?? Should my hopes be up that I actually get a good one?

I am impressed with their service that it has been about 12 days or so and the delivery is already scheduled.
post #1011 of 1965 Old 10-04-2007, 09:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post

AHAHAHAHAHHAHAA. Goodbye to glare reduction also.

Well I am with you guys there. I love samsung, but your statements are no longer the case.

The new sony a3000 now accepts 1080p over component and I have yet to hear any complaints about glare.

If the sony a3000 proves to TRULY have accurate primary colors atleast on par with samsung's DLPs and also a reliable and great PC input also on par with samsung's DLPs I am afraid I am going with Sony.

Also sony's a3000 now accepts 1080p/24, runs at 120 hz, and also has that new motion technology known as Auto-Motion Plus on Samsung's LCDs.
post #1012 of 1965 Old 10-04-2007, 11:59 AM

One week so far, no distortion. It's in place and good to go. I will try not to poke the screen and lift on the cabinet... It will be hard, but I will try... I love my TV!!!
post #1013 of 1965 Old 10-04-2007, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My replacement (via samsung) 5076s is due on Friday. Is there anyone with a straight one?? Should my hopes be up that I actually get a good one?

I am impressed with their service that it has been about 12 days or so and the delivery is already scheduled.

I received my replacement set from Samsung & promptly sent it back as it was worst than my current set. Samsung has agreed to send another. Nice if them, eh?
I've read a few posts where they had good geometry with the xx76s. Did I say few?
But still, I still wouldn't replace my Sammy for a Sony. Joey Cusack loves his Sony. It's a great set & everyone must decide for themselves. All I can say is when I exchanged the 5076 for an 50A2020 even my wife noticed a difference, which is saying a lot. I don't want to rant so let's just say we agreed the 5076 had a sharper, brighter picture with more realistic colors. Maybe the A3000 is different, but, the A2020 was no match. So, we replaced the A2020 for another 5076 & will keep having Samsung replace it until they get it right.
post #1014 of 1965 Old 10-04-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Cusack View Post

Well I am with you guys there. I love samsung, but your statements are no longer the case.

The new sony a3000 now accepts 1080p over component and I have yet to hear any complaints about glare.

If the sony a3000 proves to TRULY have accurate primary colors atleast on par with samsung's DLPs and also a reliable and great PC input also on par with samsung's DLPs I am afraid I am going with Sony.

Also sony's a3000 now accepts 1080p/24, runs at 120 hz, and also has that new motion technology known as Auto-Motion Plus on Samsung's LCDs.

I was just trying to make a funny...but not as good as the other guy. I have two older Sony's that have been through hell for many many years and never had ANY problems. Damn good manufacturer IMO and I suspect the A3000 will be great. Let us know if the 120 Hz makes a difference.
post #1015 of 1965 Old 10-05-2007, 09:45 AM

OK. I got my replacement and kept it. NO Bowing. Wow. Straight menu at the bottom. NOW, I have a couple of small problems to see if I can fix.

1. VERY slight leftward tilt.
2. Smudges on the screen or mirror. I might try to clean. I popped the porthole on the back and there was a little dust on the glass right below it.

HELP! Where do I find the adjustment screws?? I looked around and didnt find them. Anyone got a pic of a crude diagram of where to find them??

Thanks!
-My TV no longer smiles, but I do.
post #1016 of 1965 Old 10-05-2007, 01:10 PM

Liked: 13
I've had my HL-T5676 for about a month and I must say I could not be happier with it so far. I've done lots of tweaking to get it looking awesome with all sources. No signs of bowing or RBE. One very small thing though, every now and then I hear a very soft "pop" from the left of the unit. It does NOT come out of the speaker. I only notice it once every hour or so-no real pattern. I have eliminated all my other equipment as causing this. Could it just be the plastic that the frame/housing is made of expanding or contracting with heat/cooling? Just curious if anyone has heard of this. I am 99.9% happy with my purchase and would recommend this set.

Panasonic TC-P55ST50 Plasma 55"
Oppo BDP-83 Blu Ray
Toshiba A30 HD DVD
Onkyo TX-SR608 Reciever
Klipsch Ref RC500 Center (RC52)

Klipsch Ref RB600 Fronts (RB61)

Klipsch Ref RS400 Surrounds (RS42)
Klipsch Synergy SW10 Sub Woofer
SA Explorer 8300HD HD DVR
Harmony 650 Remote

Mac Mini/PS3/Wii

post #1017 of 1965 Old 10-05-2007, 02:42 PM

I received the HLT-5676s as a replacement for a 2006 HLS-5687W with bad pincushioning. This one, in my opinion, has even worse geometry with the very noticeable and distracting smile-type bowing. The tech that took a look at it said they all have this problem and there is no fix. Said I would have been better off with the S-87W model. Samsung has offered to send out another 5676s.

Like most people, I'm pretty dissatisfied with this -- to me it's very noticeable and I've been pretty patient with them (bought the original TV in January) and it took them until June to send me the new one.

Anyway, two questions: 1) It seems like recently people on this board have been getting sets with better geometry. Does this seem accurate? I love the TV in every other regard, but the geometry is just so noticeable. 2) Anybody have any success with getting Samsung to just refund the money at the purchase price? One more messed up tv, and I just don't want to deal with it any more.

Thanks.
post #1018 of 1965 Old 10-07-2007, 07:05 AM

Quote:

OK. I got my replacement and kept it. NO Bowing. Wow. Straight menu at the bottom. NOW, I have a couple of small problems to see if I can fix.

1. VERY slight leftward tilt.
2. Smudges on the screen or mirror. I might try to clean. I popped the porthole on the back and there was a little dust on the glass right below it.

HELP! Where do I find the adjustment screws?? I looked around and didnt find them. Anyone got a pic of a crude diagram of where to find them??

Thanks!
-My TV no longer smiles, but I do.

FYI. The screws are easy to adjust, but only seem to affect the lower 1/3rd of the picture. The are on the back of the TV near the top. 2 small phillips head ones on each side to loosen, then 1 regular slotted head (on each side) to adjust after loosening the phillips ones. They basically move the lower corners in and out. I wish I could slightly adjust the tilt, or the top corners.

Is there ANY geometry type stuff in the service menu? OR any other adjustment screws?
post #1019 of 1965 Old 10-07-2007, 07:44 PM

There are actually four phillips screws, two more near the center. All four must be loosened before adjusting the two cam screws. The other adjustments require removal of the lower back panel. You loosen the two screws that hold the light engine in place and twist it to change overall tilt. There's two backup screws you back out to hold it in place. There's also three more tilt screws surrounding the DLP heat sink.
post #1020 of 1965 Old 10-08-2007, 07:20 AM

What does the light engine look like? I would like to adjust my slight tilt, but dont want to hurt anything. Do you have any pictures detailing adjusting the tilt shinka?
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page