post #91 of 1965 Old 06-13-2007, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinka View Post

I don't the screen stiffness is any worse than last years, but by putting the mirror on top of the set reflecting the picture downward onto the screen instead of behind the screen reflecting the image forward, any deflection of the screen is greatly magnified.

I'll take the thinner much better looking cabinet over a little bowing you can't see (unless you put a grid on the screen) any day. Very satified overall with this set except for the awful speakers, no bass and no highs at all.

Everyone's eyes are probably a bit different when it comes to bowing of the the picture.

I have an LCD projection set now and the edges of a 4:3 image are laser straight. Every time I've looked at one of the DLP sets, the bowing of the image immediately jumps out at me.

While this is not a show stopper with true HD material (unless the bowing is so bad that it affects vertical lines in the image) much of the material shown on the HD channels is upconverted SD in 4:3. This bowing is evident with this material, which (to my eyes) makes the set unacceptable, doe to the distraction.

If it's not bothersome, it's not an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1965 Old 06-13-2007, 05:02 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsims View Post

So you are saying by pushing in on the middle of the screen that you corrected your bowing problem Shinka?

Pushing on the screen near the sides moves the image upward, However it won't stay. I'm experimenting with the mounting screws to see if the screen will hang straighter to improve on the bowing situation.
post #93 of 1965 Old 06-13-2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

While this is not a show stopper with true HD material (unless the bowing is so bad that it affects vertical lines in the image) much of the material shown on the HD channels is upconverted SD in 4:3. This bowing is evident with this material, which (to my eyes) makes the set unacceptable, doe to the distraction. If it's not bothersome, it's not an issue.

The bowing on the Txx76 series is only in horizontal lines near the middle near the sides, the vertical sides on 4:3 format are perfectly straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

If it's not bothersome, it's not an issue.

Exactly.
post #94 of 1965 Old 06-13-2007, 08:37 PM

unlike the HLS which is the reason I sent that one back,lol.Cant win with Samsung.
post #95 of 1965 Old 06-13-2007, 10:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2QB3 View Post

What is the deal with that blue light? Is it a bias light? doesn't look bright enough but could be?

No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Whitta View Post

Does anyone have any tips how to reduce the brightness on the Samsung DLPs? In a dark room the image is almost eye-strainingly bright, even in Movie mode with settings dialed down.

Put a dim light behind your TV. There are special bias lights for that purpose, or you can find cheaper light that will work.

Bias Lighting

Bias Lighting (Backlighting)
post #96 of 1965 Old 06-13-2007, 10:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdnuwndr View Post

Received my replacement HLT unit (replacing HLS) this weekend.
Wife was home, I wasnt. She thinks when they set it up left in shop mode but
not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxxx View Post

So, while I'm watching my hls5087w, it losses it's settings, for example, I'll set it to movie, dnie off etc, and it will just switch back to dynamic randomly after about 30 min. Anyone have a similar experience? It's driving me insane.

You are probably in "shop mode". Here is a link to instructions.

Get your HL-S TV out of "shop mode".

The Samsung HL-S DLP sets have "shop mode" to force the set back to Dynamic Mode when they are being used in showrooms. If some customer changes the menu settings, 30 minutes later those settings revert back to Samsung's desired showroom settings (Dynamic mode with DNIe ON, etc.).

Solution:

1. Power ON with the set displaying a normal image.

2. Press and hold the MENU button for five seconds. Use the Menu button on the TV's front panel, not the remote control.

The TV will blank for one second, and now be out of "shop mode". This mode can be toggled ON or OFF by repeating the steps. If you are out of "shop mode" the TV will "hold" it's video settings without automatically resetting every 30 minutes.
post #97 of 1965 Old 06-14-2007, 06:41 AM

Quote:

Pushing on the screen near the sides moves the image upward, However it won't stay. I'm experimenting with the mounting screws to see if the screen will hang straighter to improve on the bowing situation.

Exactly. Pushing in the middle of the screen, at the sides, fixes the bowing. But of course it bows back when you let go.

I measured last night and it showed a 5/16" difference when measuring the menu bar from the top of the menu bar to where the screen ends at the bottom. I then did the same measurement on the right side where it bows. The difference was 5/16".

There is also a difference of 1/8" between measurements of the left and right sides.

A Samsung Tech is coming out today to remove dust that is projecting on the back of the screen. I will also discuss the bowing with him and see what changes he makes. Will post the detials ASAP.
post #98 of 1965 Old 06-14-2007, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrWill View Post

No Eliab settings yet. I used the HL-S starter settings and have made only small changes.

Eliab's HL-S Starter Settings

The picture is stunning, minor bowing and all.

thanks!!

BTW what is the bowing I do not see anything
post #99 of 1965 Old 06-14-2007, 09:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad View Post

htwaits, thanks for the links. Bias lighting should hopefully solve eye strain problem with my LCD TV.

It should. You're welcome.
post #100 of 1965 Old 06-14-2007, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I investigated the bowing and it's caused by the screen bulging outward in the center. By using a straightedge, I found that an 1/8" bulge results in a 1/4" curve in the image. By pushing the screen inward, the bowing can be corrected. Maybe we can attach a vacuum cleaner to the cabinet and suck the screen back in!

LOL perhaps Samsung will address this flaw for next year's (2008) TV models. But that doesn't do you 2007 buyers any good.

Procrastination is the thief of time.
-- Edward Young

They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.

-- Benjamin Franklin

You shouldn't mix meditation with management.
The mind gets too empty.

-- Scott Adams, "Dilbert"
post #101 of 1965 Old 06-14-2007, 02:03 PM

2006 buyer moved into a 2007 model, still not happy, tech comes out Sat. will report Sat afternoon
post #102 of 1965 Old 06-15-2007, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilklown View Post

2006 buyer moved into a 2007 model, still not happy, tech comes out Sat. will report Sat afternoon

Tech came out yesterday. I think it is now worse than before.... .

He said there are mirrors that are now located on the top of the TV. These mirrors get moved around during shipping. He put up a black and white boxed grid and began to adjust tilt. He made and worse and then asked me if that was good. The tilt adjust did not help the problem. There are left and right side tilt adjustment he can make. All it does, if done correctly, is make the bowing on each side (left and right) the same height. It does not help BOWING

I still have a 1/4" difference from the middle of my screen to the far right of my screen when measuring the menu bar, and widescreen movies, and about 1/8" difference between the far left of my screen and far right.

What bugs even more is my buddy called regarding his HLS5687W and he measured 5 1/4" on the left, middle and right side of the screen

What the F'. 1 Question. How do we return this thing after the box has been cut open?
post #103 of 1965 Old 06-15-2007, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
My 6176 has a VERY subtle smiley-face effect on the outer 8" of the lower corners. youd never notice under any circumstance at all, unless you pull up a channel-guide or the internal menus, and even then, some folks might not notice it.

After reading shinkas post about the screen bulging out, I spent about 20 min toying with various combinations of shimming under the TV and pressing on parts of the screen. I pretty much agree that the various distortions are caused by the screen not hanging completely flat. I'm guessing that if the screen was re-hung in the cabinet such that it was suspended almost entirely from the top, and not resting on its bottom edge, it wouldnt be inclined to bow under its own weight. Anyone have suggestions and opinions to support/refute this? I'd really like to be able to eliminate what seem like simple issues, but I am wary of putting my own tools to the thing and nixing the warranty.

Input from DIY service types is welcomed

For the record, the picture is still fantastic, I'm just trying to get the details perfect, and my girlfriend thinks I'm silly sitting next to the TV with a measuring tape, and folded paper shims. She just wants to watch and enjoy the HD PBS shows.
post #104 of 1965 Old 06-15-2007, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantraxl View Post

My 6176 has a VERY subtle smiley-face effect on the outer 8" of the lower corners. youd never notice under any circumstance at all, unless you pull up a channel-guide or the internal menus, and even then, some folks might not notice it.

For the record, the picture is still fantastic, I'm just trying to get the details perfect, and my girlfriend thinks I'm silly sitting next to the TV with a measuring tape, and folded paper shims. She just wants to watch and enjoy the HD PBS shows.

Agree My Finance thinks I am a quack as well.

Can you and anyone else with a bowing problem, post you measurements of the differences between the height of the internal menu's left side and middle, right side and middle, and left and right side. We will at least be able to get a uniform response and see if we are all around the same ballpark. Thanks
post #105 of 1965 Old 06-15-2007, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

When I get home, I shall measure the TV unshimmed and shimmed, at various points across the top and bottom of the screen.

To make matter smore precise, can anyone suggest a good source of a test pattern so that I can accurately measure the screen at points near the middle, if necessary?
Free is ideal, but I'll take whatever.
post #106 of 1965 Old 06-15-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantraxl View Post

To make matter smore precise, can anyone suggest a good source of a test pattern so that I can accurately measure the screen at points near the middle, if necessary?
Free is ideal, but I'll take whatever.

Make one on your PC, save as JPG to a memory stick and plug it into the TV. I saved the HDnet test pattern on my Dish PVR. Also, there is 18 test patterns in the service menu under DDP3021.
post #107 of 1965 Old 06-15-2007, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Service menu, now we're talking! How do I get into the service menu? I shall put a pattern on a flash drive and try that as well.
post #108 of 1965 Old 06-15-2007, 12:57 PM

Yes...How do we get the service menu up?
post #109 of 1965 Old 06-15-2007, 01:21 PM

I believe it is "With the TV off, hit Mute, 1, 8, 2, power"
post #110 of 1965 Old 06-15-2007, 03:11 PM

Remember that if you go into the service menu, all settings revert to factory.
post #111 of 1965 Old 06-15-2007, 04:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Remember that if you go into the service menu, all settings revert to factory.

I hope you mean "all User Menu settings" revert to factory.
post #112 of 1965 Old 06-16-2007, 04:58 AM

[/quote]Solution:
2. Press and hold the MENU button for five seconds. Use the Menu button on the TV's front panel, not the remote control.
The TV will blank for one second, and now be out of "shop mode". This mode can be toggled ON or OFF by repeating the steps. If you are out of "shop mode" the TV will "hold" it's video settings without automatically resetting every 30 minutes.[/quote]

Thanks for the tip, just did it & my set was in home mode & switched to shop (oops).
Now I cant get it to toggle back tho. The menu button won't do it???
Any other way to switch it?

Also what should the gamma & gamut settings be on?
Thanks again!
post #113 of 1965 Old 06-16-2007, 07:52 AM

I just got my set from ABT. 6176 is AWESOME....No complaints yet, working on picture adjustments. Got a SMOKING deal, under 2k. Price matching is a great thing......
post #114 of 1965 Old 06-16-2007, 10:23 AM

Solution:
The TV will blank for one second, and now be out of "shop mode". This mode can be toggled ON or OFF by repeating the steps. If you are out of "shop mode" the TV will "hold" it's video settings without automatically resetting every 30 minutes.[/quote]

Thanks for the tip, just did it & my set was in home mode & switched to shop (oops).

Also what should the gamma & gamut settings be on?
Thanks again!
[/quote]

Tried it to and couldn't toggle it off, so I had to go into service menu. It's in the first menu i believe. It is clearly marked Shop mode.
post #115 of 1965 Old 06-16-2007, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyasih View Post

Tried it to and couldn't toggle it off, so I had to go into service menu. It's in the first menu i believe. It is clearly marked Shop mode.

OK, how do I get into the service menu then?
post #116 of 1965 Old 06-16-2007, 01:29 PM

Adjusted the light Engine(DIDNT WORK),Adjusted Something down below(DIDNT WORK), Then went into service menu to check things out, still didnt work...left my house and things didnt change,will Call Samsung this week and let u all know.
post #117 of 1965 Old 06-16-2007, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdnuwndr View Post

OK, how do I get into the service menu then?

mute 1,8,2 power
post #118 of 1965 Old 06-16-2007, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyasih View Post

[b]Thanks for the tip, just did it & my set was in home mode & switched to shop (oops).

On page 17 in the manual...
If the unit is accidentally set to Shop mode and you want to return to Dynamic (Home)
mode, press the Volume button and then hold down the MENU button for five seconds
on the TV panel.
post #119 of 1965 Old 06-17-2007, 08:20 AM

Has anyone mounted a center channel on top of their tv? I've got a 5679s on the way and I'm thinking of getting a NHT Classic 3C to match the Classic three fronts. I don't have enough height on the tv stand to put the speaker there so I was thinking of putting it on top of the tv. However the speakers weighs 23lbs so I'm worried about causing bowing if the tv doesn't already have it. Any advise for or against? If for does anyone know of some kind of accessory I can buy to place the speaker on top of the tv?
post #120 of 1965 Old 06-17-2007, 08:23 AM

YOU CANNOT MOUNT THAT SPEAKER ON TOP,not a chance...6oz will weigh it down.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page