2007 Samsung HL-Txx76 Owner's Thread - Page 49 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1441 of 1965 Old 02-06-2008, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Samsung considers any bowing over 7mm as defective. Not me. I keep replacing my set until it was near perfect. You should, too. Don't accept anything less!
George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1965 Old 02-06-2008, 06:32 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DERG View Post

Samsung considers any bowing over 7mm as defective. Not me. I keep replacing my set until it was near perfect. You should, too. Don't accept anything less!
George

Yeah but you're stuck with a bulb and color wheel. Enjoy replacing them in a few years.
post #1443 of 1965 Old 02-06-2008, 06:44 PM

Thanks mooninite for posting the link in another thread showing our set do indeed have HDMI 1.3. http://product.samsung.com/dlp3d/3ddlps.html My Dish 622 also reports 1.3 in the HDMI diagnostics.
post #1444 of 1965 Old 02-06-2008, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does the 5676S (or any of the series) have a CableCard slot?

SV
post #1445 of 1965 Old 02-06-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spassvogel42 View Post

Does the 5676S (or any of the series) have a CableCard slot?

SV

No. It never worked in the 2006 models either - I tried 3 different cards. CableCARD is a great idea that should have been started by the cable companies a long time ago. Since its being mandated by the government its always a bad thing. Also the spec is in flux and no one wants to support the dumb things. They just want to give you a HUGE digital cable box and send you on your way. I think everyone would rather take a credit card size piece and let the TV do the work, but cable techs don't keep current on technology.
post #1446 of 1965 Old 02-07-2008, 01:21 AM

The CableCard works perfectly in my HLS5668W, but it developed the light-tunnel collapse and Fry's wants to replace it with the HLT5676S rather than pay to fix the light tunnel. The reason I prefer the CableCard is because then the TV can generate Dolby Digital internally and pass it out of the TV's optical out to my receiver. So I can watch movie channels in DD5.1. Thus, my biggest gripe with these TV's (that the TV's won't pass through a 5.1 signal from an external source) is avoided. If I have to get a cable box, I get a whole pile of hassles, including having to deal with audio sync problems if my cable box is going straight into the receiver.

Dang Fry's. Wonder if any of the in-production TV's from Samsung have cable card slots.

SV
post #1447 of 1965 Old 02-07-2008, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooninite View Post

Yeah but you're stuck with a bulb and color wheel. Enjoy replacing them in a few years.

I will.
mooninite,
Haven't heard from you for a while. How's your new replacement set?
post #1448 of 1965 Old 02-07-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spassvogel42 View Post

The CableCard works perfectly in my HLS5668W, but it developed the light-tunnel collapse and Fry's wants to replace it with the HLT5676S rather than pay to fix the light tunnel. The reason I prefer the CableCard is because then the TV can generate Dolby Digital internally and pass it out of the TV's optical out to my receiver. So I can watch movie channels in DD5.1. Thus, my biggest gripe with these TV's (that the TV's won't pass through a 5.1 signal from an external source) is avoided. If I have to get a cable box, I get a whole pile of hassles, including having to deal with audio sync problems if my cable box is going straight into the receiver.

Dang Fry's. Wonder if any of the in-production TV's from Samsung have cable card slots.

SV

Lucky you. I had a HL-S5688W. Never worked for me.

And no. None of the current generation Samsungs have a CableCARD slot. They phased it out. Probably because there's too many problems with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DERG View Post

I will.
mooninite,
Haven't heard from you for a while. How's your new replacement set?

I have an HL-T5687S now. Happy as a bee.
post #1449 of 1965 Old 02-07-2008, 01:48 PM

Well I am sooooo freaking disappointed in Samsung and this darn bowing problem. I've had a 56" 1080p Samsung I purchased a little over a year ago that they do not make anymore. (never had any problems of any kind) Im moving out and I have to leave that tv behind.

Now this new 5676s has major bowing issues as I've been reading through all these pages!!!!!

Thanks to AVS here, I will certainly NOT be purchasing this!! I rather not gamble on this and have to deal with all the headache hassles afterwards!!!

Here's at least one customer Samsung will surely loose!

QUESTION: What brand closely resembles this HLT 5676s set?

Samsung goes from one great working television, to making a new crappy one... why do companies do that all the time?... save money by making something flimsy and crappy.... sure the PQ is great, but I also want the entire tv to be great
post #1450 of 1965 Old 02-11-2008, 07:36 AM

Liked: 18
I have an HL-S6187 that has worked perfectly for 14 months. The picture is great. One of my HDMI inputs broke, and Samsung says it can't be fixed. They have offered to replace it with an HL-T6176. Originally I thought it was a "no brainer", but then I read all the negative comments on it. Are the HLT sets that bad? I don't need the 2nd HDMI input right now. I'm afraid of letting them take my current set and replacing it with a lemon. Any advice would be helpful.
post #1451 of 1965 Old 02-11-2008, 08:36 AM

I bought my HL-T6176 in December, knowing I had a month to return it if the bowing problem occurred. After calibrating it with DVE (except for the colors, apparently CCA in the service menu must be cut off first in order to use the filters properly) all I initially saw was a slight curl up of horizontal lines on the lower right (only obvious with the ESPN logo on non-test pattern images). However, after reading these posts, one tends to become ultrasensitive to this issue. After adjusting the tilt screws on the back to get the lower part of the picture exactly horizontal, and using a level to make the sure the screen is exactly vertical (so it doesn't tend to physically bow inward or outward), there is a very slight bending down of horizontzal lines near the upper right, in addition to the slight bending up of lines near the lower right. The deviation of any one line is no more than 4 mm, which Samsung says is about the best you are going to get with that TV. They won't replace it if it less than 7 mm. It is a great picture otherwise, especially when the optical iris is stopped down in the service menu to improve the black level. So, after all this, I'm going to keep it. I just hope the bowing doesn't get any worse over time.
post #1452 of 1965 Old 02-11-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlou View Post

I have an HL-S6187 that has worked perfectly for 14 months. The picture is great. One of my HDMI inputs broke, and Samsung says it can't be fixed. They have offered to replace it with an HL-T6176. Originally I thought it was a "no brainer", but then I read all the negative comments on it. Are the HLT sets that bad? I don't need the 2nd HDMI input right now. I'm afraid of letting them take my current set and replacing it with a lemon. Any advice would be helpful.

If they won't replace you with a HL-T6187S then I would forget it and keep your set. You don't want to look at the bow if your current set is perfect, geometry-wise.
post #1453 of 1965 Old 02-11-2008, 12:27 PM

My current set has very slight bowing. Nothing major. I just went to best Buy Buy to check out the HL-T6176. I wasn't very impressed. If you just touch the top of the set, the whole screen moves. It was the only set in the store that would do this. If you just move the TV the slightest bit, you can see the screen change positions. I'll have to think long and hard about this. I asked about the HL-T6187, and they said no.
post #1454 of 1965 Old 02-12-2008, 08:38 AM

That characterisic, in and of itself, is not the problem. The inherent flaw is the degree to which the screen is not perfectly flat when nothing is touching or pressing down on the top of the TV that causes the curved horizontal lines on test patterns. The mirror is expecting to show the image on a perfectly flat screen and it's not getting a perfectly flat screen. Some are worse than others, and Samsung has apparently (arbitrarily?) placed the defective screen threshold at a maximum horizontal line deviation specification of 7 mm for the 61 inch screen size.
post #1455 of 1965 Old 02-12-2008, 09:54 AM

Hi Guys. I just found your great site this morning so forgive me if this is a basic question. I tried to scan through all 49 pages of this thread to see if anyone mentioned this, but but I wasn't sure what to call it and didn't see anything similar.

Anyway, I just received my 5676S last night. Good picture on SD dishNetwork. But, right away I noticed the bowing issue when viewing the menu mentioned throughout this thread, so I'm going to try the shim fix that has been mentioned. But, the main issue I have is there is a grey spot (about 3/8" x 3/8" in size) just right of center that my wife noticed almost immediately. Now that she pointed it out, it's very distracting. Is this a flaw in the tv or something with the light source?

Thanks in advance.
post #1456 of 1965 Old 02-12-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooninite View Post

If they won't replace you with a HL-T6187S then I would forget it and keep your set. You don't want to look at the bow if your current set is perfect, geometry-wise.

I have a consumer advocate friend of mine calling Samsung later today. He's usually pretty good at these kind of things. He's going to try and get me the HL-T6187S. If not, I'm going to accept the 6176. I figure my TV already has over 1500 hours of use, and will be out of warranty this month. With its model's history of LE problems, I think I'm better off taking a chance on a new 6176. Hopefully they'll give me the 6187.
post #1457 of 1965 Old 02-12-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDucker View Post

But, the main issue I have is there is a grey spot (about 3/8" x 3/8" in size) just right of center that my wife noticed almost immediately. Now that she pointed it out, it's very distracting. Is this a flaw in the tv or something with the light source?

Pop the porthole open on the back (with the set on) and see if a piece of dirt is sitting on the lens cover (in the bottom), use the included cloth to knock it off. Don't touch the back of the screen.
post #1458 of 1965 Old 02-12-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinka View Post

Pop the porthole open on the back (with the set on) and see if a piece of dirt is sitting on the lens cover (in the bottom), use the included cloth to knock it off. Don't touch the back of the screen.

Thanks, I'll try that this evening when I get home.
post #1459 of 1965 Old 02-13-2008, 12:15 PM

Samsung just called, and they've agreed to replace my set with the HL-T6187S.

post #1460 of 1965 Old 02-13-2008, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlou View Post

Samsung just called, and they've agreed to replace my set with the HL-T6187S.

What were the magic words you used to get the replacement? Do you need to have a service history with techs coming out? Or can you simply claim the set is defective and get the replacement? Please share details!
post #1461 of 1965 Old 02-13-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectCr View Post

What were the magic words you used to get the replacement? Do you need to have a service history with techs coming out? Or can you simply claim the set is defective and get the replacement? Please share details!

I had one tech come out and refuse to repair the set saying I damaged it. (BS) I had a 2nd repair center refuse to even come out because the 1st one already came out. About 2 weeks ago, I complained to Samsung about the way I was treated, and they finally agreed to replace my set with the HL-T6176. Originally I agreed thinking it was fair, but then I read the horror stories some people had with that model, and went and saw for myself how poorly built the model seemed to be. When I called them back and requested the HL-T6187, they refused stating the 6176 was the most comparable model to my HL-S6187W. They refused to budge. Yesterday I had a friend of mine who is a consumer advocate call them with my story and info. He called me back last night and told me to expect a call from Samsung this week. When I came home today, I had a message from Samsung to call them and they wanted to make me happy. I called and they wanted to know if I wanted a full refund of what I paid for my TV 14 months ago, or a model that would make me happy. I told them I wanted the HL-T6187. The woman told me: "OK. Let me confirm I can get you that model, and I'll call you back shortly." She called me back and said: "We will have the 6187 back in stock on the 25th, and will call you to arrange a delivery date."
post #1462 of 1965 Old 02-13-2008, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I have done several searches and cannot find a solution;

My friend just bought a Samsung HLT6176S and I helped him go into the menu and change some of the video settings (temp, color, contrast, etc...). However, when he turns the set back on after turning it off the settings have gone back to what they were originally.

WHile discussing this, another mutual friend said he has the same problems with a different Samsung HDTV.

Any way to fix this?
post #1463 of 1965 Old 02-14-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1966 View Post

I have done several searches and cannot find a solution;

My friend just bought a Samsung HLT6176S and I helped him go into the menu and change some of the video settings (temp, color, contrast, etc...). However, when he turns the set back on after turning it off the settings have gone back to what they were originally.

WHile discussing this, another mutual friend said he has the same problems with a different Samsung HDTV.

Any way to fix this?

I'm going through this same issue on my HLT5076S. Everytime the set is powered off, it loses all the picture settings for every input. It's really annoying to have to calibrate your tv for every input everytime you turn it on. A tech came out and did a firmware update, and that didn't help at all. He called Samsung, and was told to replace the mainboard. When they get around to installing it, I'll come back and let you know if that fixed it. BTW, Samsung did not know of a fix for this issue, or what causes it. It seems like they are just trying different things to fix it.
post #1464 of 1965 Old 02-14-2008, 09:33 AM

It's possible that your set is in shop (showroom) mode instead of home mode. To change; on the TV (not the remote) press the volume then the menu button and hold for 5 seconds.

When in shop mode, the TV returns to default settings after 20 minutes or a power cycle. On pre 2007 sets, you just hold the menu button for 5 seconds.
post #1465 of 1965 Old 02-14-2008, 07:53 PM

Hey guys. I am completely new to DLPs (also my first post on these forums ~). I just purchased the HLT5076S from CC open box for $1099. I brought it home and can't find any bowing, however the image itself is crooked. I have a tech coming Tuesday to fix the problem.

My question, however, is unrelated to both issues. I was just curious if the "sparkly" look to the screen is normal? It is most noticeable when the image shown is bright. I don't know how to describe it other than that it looks like screen grain causing thousands of little rainbows. Is this normal for DLP televisions or do I have a defective screen?

Edit:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/mfso/avssample.jpg

Here is an image of what i'm trying to describe--the grain over the clouds.
post #1466 of 1965 Old 02-15-2008, 08:05 AM

Yes, it is common on large screen rear projection televisions which necessarily use a high-gain screen to produce a large light output and it is commonly-referred to as "Silk Screen Effect". Three years ago I bought a 50 inch Panasonic DLP and never noticed it, but I just bought a bright 61 inch Samsung and it is quite noticeable.
On another matter, I just discovered a way to reduce the vertical bowing on my Samsung. The two external tilt screws on the back cover that raise and lower the upper mirror can be used together to raise or lower the bottom of the image, without moving the top of the image, thus effectively stretching or compressing the image a small amount in the vertical direction. If the bottom of the image is raised too high (reducing overscan), vertical bowing inward becomes noticeable. Thus, the tilt screws can be used together to optimally lower the bottom of the image (increasing overscan a bit) to minimize vertical bowing.
post #1467 of 1965 Old 02-15-2008, 10:12 AM

This is my first post, after reading several threads over the years for electronics advice. Thanks for that, btw.

I have been going through some trouble recently with Samsung DLP televisions and amazon.com, though it should be noted that I am far from without blame. See, it all started when I ordered a brand new HLT5087SAX and thought, "Wow, that's beautiful! Now make it bigger." So, I promptly sold that television on Craigslist for exactly what I had paid, and then ordered the HLT5687SAX instead. I bought this one refurb'd, to offset the cost of upgrading screen size. I actually wound up paying about the same as I had last time for the smaller set.

The 56-incher is downstairs right now, was delivered yesterday, and doesn't work! Ack!

Now, Samsung is going to try to fix it. The diagnosis (in house) is free, but I don't know if the repair will be. If it costs any money at all to fix, I'll likely pass and send the thing back to amazon.com for full refund. This does remain to be seen however, so I should probably wait before making this post, but oh well.

"Both of those are LED-based. This is the thread for lamp-based", you're thinking. I know.

The thing is, if I sent that TV back, I want to keep my 56" screen, but I also want to keep my sub-$1400 budget. That means television number 3 will have to be the HLT5676S. So, my question to you all is, am I sacrificing all that much by switching to lamp-based instead of LED? So far, I've been going with LED because technologically, it is supposed to be superior. The ways in which LED is supposed to be better than lamp, as I understand them, are as follows...

* The lamp takes longer to power up.
* The lamp will eventually die, and require replacement.
* The lamp requires a fan, which is audible.
* The lamp uses a color wheel, which may create a rainbow effect.

Now, to counter those points, if I'm not mistaken...

* Though longer, it really doesn't take all that much time to power up.
* The lamp won't die for several years, so why worry about it now?
* Though audible, the fan is still quite quiet.
* Only a few people can see the rainbow effect, and maybe I won't be one of them.

That said, it seems like no big deal if I had to "downgrade" to a lamp set instead of an LED one. In fact, using the word "downgrade" almost doesn't even seem fair (although, it is undeniably cheaper, so I suppose the word is still appropriate). Nevertheless, I had wanted to ask people who have the HLT5676S. So, what made you decide to go the lamp route? And, are you happy you did?

Thank you for reading this, and even more so for responding to it. =)
post #1468 of 1965 Old 02-15-2008, 11:28 AM

I got the lamp-based HL-T6176 for the advantages you mentioned above and because two generations of the LED Samsung DLPs have been criticized in several reviews I've read for high black levels and poor screen illumination uniformity, especially compared to the lamp-based Samsung DLPs of the past. So I figured the lamp-based was the way to go because those two problems might be specific to the LED implementation. As an electrical engineer, I think the color wheel arrangement is an elegant and fascinating implementation, and I read that Samsung utilizes air bearing technology in the HL-TXX76 models which should significantly lengthen the service life of the color wheel. It is a great picture except for the geometry problems. I do see rainbows but they are much less conspicuous than on my last Panasonic DLP, and the Sony PS3 fan motor is a lot louder than the fan/color wheel motors on the Samsung. I think you have to be really picky to be annoyed at the warm-up time of these rear projection TV's--mine's at full brightness in less than a minute.
post #1469 of 1965 Old 02-15-2008, 12:39 PM

This has been covered time and time again. I feel like a record. Please search.

To repeat:

I've owned both a 5676 and a 5687. I've used both on HD material of all kinds. Used all sorts of tests.

The bulb and LED models have no detectable difference in brightness or black levels. I do believe, however, that the LED model has better color representation, as it should. The LED set also uses a case that is not susceptible to bowing, as described countless times.

DO NOT BUY AND/OR THINK OF GETTING A XX76S SET. THEY ARE LEMONS.
post #1470 of 1965 Old 02-15-2008, 12:50 PM

Yes, I've read about the bowing. I did not realize that was specific to the xx76S series. I actually thought that was a problem with all Samsung DLP sets based on their size. Even a guy from Samsung told me himself not to get a 61" because the screen was just too big and bowing is unavoidable at that size. I had no idea that the difference in case design between the LED models and lamp models had an affect on presense or absense of bowing. Good info, and thank you for it. I apologize for not realizing that on my own, after having read the discussions regarding screen bowing.

So, no xx76S then? They're lemons? The post immediately above yours seems to say completely the opposite. Or is it all about that "S" at the end that's the real kicker?
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page