post #271 of 578 Old 08-10-2007, 09:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbarnett513 View Post

Watched Smokin Aces on HD-DVD tonight. Noticed a fair amount of SSE on broad areas of bright colors. What settings should I play with to reduce this?

SSE is caused by the texture of the screen. Too much contrast, and brightness make that texture more visible.

You can use the link to owner's calibration reports at the bottom of my post to get solid information about using the DVE calibration disk or what people think about a professional calibration. Either one should help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 578 Old 08-10-2007, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thought I might throw my settings out there, not to imply that I think anyone else should use them, but I spent a lot of time getting my display to look correct with my source material via my connection, and I think the result is great. I make no claims that these settings will reproduce acceptable results on anything else.

I was calibrating my HLT-6756W to display my Xbox 360 via VGA at 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz. I started with Avia, had less than stellar results, used the test pattern on the NBA Live 07 Demo, then watched a complete HD-DVD and paid attention to what I thought was off. Then I used the HD-DVD (Smokin' Aces) mostly to get flesh tones correct and learned that Avia's test pattern brightness setting was too low for actual viewing. After setting things by look I went back to Avia and had much better results. I tweaked the brightness and contrast, and adjusted the white balance. Then it was back to Smokin Aces, then King Kong, where I continued to try to balance realistic flesh tones with good color saturation. I ended up giving it a bit of green tint to compensate so that I could keep color high enough for acceptable vivid colors. Last, I viewed two 720p videos (Gears of War promotional ad and Halo 3 TV commercial) to test the final product. It looked 10 times better than when I viewed them with stock settings three days ago.

Sharpness is still elusive. I looks to have little to no effect.
Colors gave me fits until I set color gamut to normal . I switched it and said "Huh, I guess the Samsung menu bar is supposed to be blue. Hadn't noticed."
I adjusted white balance because my whites looked just a hair too yellowish. This setting evened it out nicely.

Mode- Movie
Contrast- 32
Brightness- 52
Sharpness- 35
Color- 49
Tint- G55/R45
Color Tone- Normal
Detailed Settings
Black Adjust- Off
Dynamic Contrast- Off
Gamma- 0
White Balance- +1
Edge Enhancement- Off
Color Gamut- Normal
post #273 of 578 Old 08-11-2007, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusnukit View Post

I also bought this tv from the undisclosed large warehouse chain store . I was fortunate enough to transport this tv upright in my truck,but just to add to what BidHigh said this is what is on page 67 of the samsung manual. "If you place the tv set face down,it may cause a problem because dirt, or some other contaminant may become attached to the inside of the tv set". Now for those people that have transported this tv face down and have gotten a replacement and that tv has some dust or particles on the screen as well,you may have inadvertantly caused the problem yourself.

Transported home upright as well for my blemished set. I'm just going to chalk it up as a manufacturing defect. I'm going to return/rebuy my set on Sunday. Jbanks, did you need the coupon again to do the exchange? I didn't see any at my Costco and it'll be a PITA to have to get another one by then. And did they require you bring back the box or do they scan the serial number, assuming that's recorded?
post #274 of 578 Old 08-11-2007, 06:59 AM

Got mine home and setup last night. Picture looks great save a complete blackout of a few inches along the bottom edge. Looks like the corner of a piece of cardboard or something is in the light path, or maybe the chip itself is hosed. Anyway, the TV was kept upright for its entire journey. I think I'll test customer service on this one because the thought of a return/exchange with this behemoth does not excite me and the TV is terrific otherwise.

-Mike
post #275 of 578 Old 08-11-2007, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonametofame View Post

Transported home upright as well for my blemished set. I'm just going to chalk it up as a manufacturing defect. I'm going to return/rebuy my set on Sunday. Jbanks, did you need the coupon again to do the exchange? I didn't see any at my Costco and it'll be a PITA to have to get another one by then. And did they require you bring back the box or do they scan the serial number, assuming that's recorded?

I did not need the coupon for the discounted repurchase (although I actually had an extra coupon in my pocket). I brought it back in the box (easier to pick up that way). I don't know if they require the box. They removed the top of the box and scanned the serial # on the back of the TV.

I called Samsung last night. The rep was useless. I told him this was my second TV and he couldn't care less if I returned it. I asked him if this was a problem that could be fixed by having a technician sent to my home and he didn't know, but offered to send one. I told him I needed to decide my next move.
post #276 of 578 Old 08-11-2007, 08:57 AM

got mine installed,love this tv picture. One big problem thats driving me nuts is the bowing,Mine is pretty bad on 4:3 like everyone else,but i dont watch this mode and dont care. But even in just scan mode watching sports or any thing that has score lines or like cnn rolling ticker on top or bottom of screen,shows how off the tv is,it is bowing in a U on the top and bottom a little,but worse than that everything is high on the left side and low on the right side top and bottom.the intire screen is off more than half inch.Is there any way to fix this?

I watch a ton of football and this is REALLY distracting to me
post #277 of 578 Old 08-11-2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njmurvin View Post

You mention "component audio cables". Component cables are video cables (red, blue, green). I hope you're not confusing these with "composite" cables which would be red, white and yellow.

Assuming you mean component video cables, you should see little, if any, difference in PQ between component and HDMI. The biggest advantage of HDMI is that one cable carries picture and sound. Since you're getting sound from the receiver anyway, I would just use component.

Yes I ment Component Video cables. I connected the HD DVD directly to the TV with the HDMI cable and then have everything else connected from the receiver to the TV with component video. Thanks for your help, the TV rocks! I might just go back and use the single component cable to the TV and not use the HDMI at all.
post #278 of 578 Old 08-11-2007, 11:22 AM

I wish the position adjustment would allow you to make off axis adjustments.can this be done in the service menu?
post #279 of 578 Old 08-11-2007, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suncom3 View Post

got mine installed,love this tv picture. One big problem thats driving me nuts is the bowing,Mine is pretty bad on 4:3 like everyone else,but i dont watch this mode and dont care. But even in just scan mode watching sports or any thing that has score lines or like cnn rolling ticker on top or bottom of screen,shows how off the tv is,it is bowing in a U on the top and bottom a little,but worse than that everything is high on the left side and low on the right side top and bottom.the intire screen is off more than half inch.Is there any way to fix this?

I watch a ton of football and this is REALLY distracting to me

Okay, I was finally all set to buy this set from that place that sells it for a particular price, but now all of the bowing talk seems to be getting more common. Sucom3's post in particular is alarming as I'm all about watching sports. Hoping some more people could chime in on this potential issue.
post #280 of 578 Old 08-11-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan E Laruso View Post

Okay, I was finally all set to buy this set from that place that sells it for a particular price, but now all of the bowing talk seems to be getting more common. Sucom3's post in particular is alarming as I'm all about watching sports. Hoping some more people could chime in on this potential issue.

well if you read it the bowing only happens when on 4:3 resolution but if you watch it on HD (16:9) it'll look fine..
post #281 of 578 Old 08-11-2007, 05:36 PM

nah my set is bowing and off axis on all modes 16x9 just scan,also. You would never know it though without some kinda ticker or score line that runs the length of the screen,it really is annoying

I know others have asked about the motion artifacts,but I cant remember the settings to use to make them not as prevalent. Im watching the skins preseason game in hd on the nfl network and the closeups with action have a TON of pixelazation .whats the best setting to reduce this?
post #282 of 578 Old 08-11-2007, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 52
ok, do you guys have ESPN HD? when they have 4:3 material they upconvert and pillar box it, but as far as the TV is concerned, it's 16x9 HD. Do you see bowing in the 4x3 box then?

if yes, then bowing is there all the time. It's just more obvious when you have 4:3 material.

I don't know how it is with DLP, but with CRT, you can adjust geometry in the service menu. it's pretty tricky to do and you could make things worse as easily as improve them.
post #283 of 578 Old 08-11-2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suncom3 View Post

nah my set is bowing and off axis on all modes 16x9 just scan,also. You would never know it though without some kinda ticker or score line that runs the length of the screen,it really is annoying

I know others have asked about the motion artifacts,but I cant remember the settings to use to make them not as prevalent. Im watching the skins preseason game in hd on the nfl network and the closeups with action have a TON of pixelazation .whats the best setting to reduce this?

So just to be clear, the bowing is occuring even on the NFL HD channel? Guessing the pixelazation could be the signal perhaps.
post #284 of 578 Old 08-11-2007, 07:26 PM

Guys, if you're wondering if your TV will have bowing, the answer is yes. If you're wondering if it has bowing all the time, the answer is yes. If you're wondering if you'll see it once you start looking for it, the answer is yes.

Will the bowing bother you when watching 4:3 material? For me the answer is no. On 16:9 material it's even more of a non-issue. So far no one has been able to pick out the flaw in the picture when I asked them except for me. All of these faults we obsess about are tiny and 99% of people can't see it. Whether it bothers you or not is the question, but in this case I've decided to chill out on my OCD for perfect audio and video and jump on what I consider the best DLP deal I've ever seen.
post #285 of 578 Old 08-11-2007, 07:44 PM

Quote:

Guys, if you're wondering if your TV will have bowing, the answer is yes. If you're wondering if it has bowing all the time, the answer is yes. If you're wondering if you'll see it once you start looking for it, the answer is yes.

Will the bowing bother you when watching 4:3 material? For me the answer is no. On 16:9 material it's even more of a non-issue. So far no one has been able to pick out the flaw in the picture when I asked them except for me. All of these faults we obsess about are tiny and 99% of people can't see it. Whether it bothers you or not is the question, but in this case I've decided to chill out on my OCD for perfect audio and video and jump on what I consider the best DLP deal I've ever seen.

If any store gave me that paragraph when I was shopping they'd probably get the sale...good pep talk Jeff!
post #286 of 578 Old 08-11-2007, 08:07 PM

i dont even know what it looks like so i guess i dont have a problem then, never had a TV with bowing problems so i guess im good
post #287 of 578 Old 08-11-2007, 08:41 PM

can i rent the Home Depot pickup to transport this on it's back. will this damagin the tv. i don't have nay tall enought ot transfport thsi
post #288 of 578 Old 08-11-2007, 09:31 PM

jeff,on what most you said I agree,but im not ocd on picture at all,what is going on with my set that bothers me is the intire screen is close to a inch off axis,the only time it bothers me is when tickers or lines are on screen

I really hope it was nfl network source broadcast problem,because I messed with all the settings in sharpness and contrast and could not get rid of the terrible motion artifact in closeup action shots,I really bought the tv for football so if it cant do better than this its getting returned in favor of a smaller 60 sony a3000 model. Id love to keep this thing and get it worked out cause I love the 67 size its perfect,and for 2k come on?
post #289 of 578 Old 08-11-2007, 09:43 PM

Liked: 11
I returned my a 67'' Samsung unit to costco saturday (was the one that had a $500 rebate several months ago) and picked up this new one cause audio amp blew. It has about the same bowing issue as my old one, but picture looks about the same. Anyway, the manual of the stand that came with it states that the shelf's max weight is 100lbs, but the tv is 109.8lbs according to the tv manual. I called costco concerg. and they were pretty much helpless as was when they got samsung on the phone. I brought the manuals into costco and showed a manager who is going to get back to me. I'm sure it's not a real issue and will probably handle the weight, though it is 10% overweight. From a liability standpoint it would be an issue I would assume. If something happened and the stand gave out, costco would be responsible. She said they may have to send out a new stand or something. My problem as this was a beast and difficult to setup. Will let you all know if I find out anything.
Any thoughts.
Site rocks by the way.
Don
post #290 of 578 Old 08-11-2007, 11:02 PM

The Samsung web site states 97.9 lbs for the TV and 129 lbs with packing.
post #291 of 578 Old 08-12-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBanks29 View Post

I did not need the coupon for the discounted repurchase (although I actually had an extra coupon in my pocket). I brought it back in the box (easier to pick up that way). I don't know if they require the box. They removed the top of the box and scanned the serial # on the back of the TV.

I called Samsung last night. The rep was useless. I told him this was my second TV and he couldn't care less if I returned it. I asked him if this was a problem that could be fixed by having a technician sent to my home and he didn't know, but offered to send one. I told him I needed to decide my next move.

Jbanks, I appreciate your reply. I'm terribly disappointed coming home after doing an easy exchange thanks to a very kind store manager and I'm seeing the same problem on this set. Same dark smudge near the top of the screen, but now it's near the left corner instead of the middle. This can't be a coincidence as this is from an entirely different store and I also saw the same problem exhibited on the floor model. Has something gotten in the way at the light source or is it something on the screen? I think it may be the former as it doesn't start showing until the lamp has warmed up. I'm contemplating returning this set, unless I can find a reasonable solution.

Update - Here are some pics of the issue I'm having. Note the small rainbow shaped shadow on the gray pillarbox.

Edit - fixed the links. Thanks for all the feedback guys. This forum is a great service for all us tech junkies.
http://render2.snapfish.com/render2/.../of=50,590,442

http://render2.snapfish.com/render2/.../of=50,590,442
post #292 of 578 Old 08-12-2007, 03:08 PM

Sorry to hear about your problems with the sets guys. Have you tried changing settings and source input(cable/sat,dvd) or possibly gone from say hdmi hook up to component? I would figure after having two sets with issues that samsung would be kind enough to have a tech come to your house and fix your problem
post #293 of 578 Old 08-12-2007, 04:46 PM

nonametofame,
I can't get your links to work when pasted into the URL field. I'd like to see what you're talking about.
post #294 of 578 Old 08-12-2007, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

nonametofame,
I can't get your links to work when pasted into the URL field. I'd like to see what you're talking about.

there's a space in the link. try this

http://*******.com/2u9zjo

smudges seem like a common problem plaguing RPTV. nonametofame, you should try calling samsung again, or call costco concierge service and they'll get samsung to deal with the problem.

this is why I want to buy these TVs from costco. the 90 day grace period gives you a lot more time to work out these problems.

edit: oops. it doesn't like that link. pls replace asterisks with tiny u r l no spaces.
post #295 of 578 Old 08-12-2007, 05:45 PM

I have not calibrated this TV yet. I am coming from a HLN61 and the contrast/brightness on this TV is very different.

With the truer blacks than my old HLN61 the TV feels "dark" to me in shadows or dark pictures.. like the details are missing.

I have also noticed the "smudge" on the screen that others have mentioned, it is in the middle of the TV about 4-5 inches from the top. I notice it when I look for it or if the picture on the screen is very contrasting.

I pulled up the blue screen and looked for dead pixels etc form very up close. I almost burned my eyeballs out but found no dead pixels but I did notice some specs of what appeared to be dirt. I don't see how it could effect the picture from 8 feet plus away.

I'm a little disheartened about the smudge but it seems as though this is a common occurrance. What was everyone's manufacture month/date?

Mine was July 5, 2007. Maybe we can isolate that smudge to a fault in the manufacture line on specific dates? I would consider swapping the set if I knew this to be the case. Otherwise I'm keeping this set.

All in all, best deal I've seen in a LONG time and I'm very happy with the picture.

PC graphics are PHENOMENAL and the text is clear, even in higher resolutions.

I can't wait to start tweaking.

Those of you who have this "smudge" mark please verify your manufacture date/month if possible to see if we can isolate this.
post #296 of 578 Old 08-12-2007, 07:27 PM

This smudge issue does appear to be somewhat common. I just looked at post #96 and the second two pics (both are from the same TV set) has a noticeably darker looking smudge. It's near the bottom at the center of the screen. You can still make it out if you look carefully in the second picture with the black background.

Mackattack, my manufacture date is July 07. I'm guessing the other set I swapped was the same.

I called Samsung and explained my issue. The rep was very courteous, took down my info, model # and description of problem. He gave me a trace number and I left a message for tech support since they're away on Sunday. I'm hoping the issue will be resolved with a simple wipe and clean of the bulb and mirrors, or screen if necessary. Now I'm wondering how many others have this issue and just aren't bothered by it or haven't noticed it.
post #297 of 578 Old 08-12-2007, 07:41 PM

hopefully the one i ordered off the internet is a newer build and doesnt have bowing or smudging issues... praying that it doesn't.. i also hope that UPS doesnt transport it lying down... I think he will do stand it up since its a big truck and it gives you more room up but im still pessimistic about this since all of the stuff you guys have been saying..

edit: changed model to build
post #298 of 578 Old 08-12-2007, 07:45 PM

Hi Guys,
You have all been very helpful and convinced me to buy one of these today. I also got a TOshiba upconvert dvd recorder which has the HDMI and Digital Coax audio out.

Everything on the TV end is working fine. When I hooked up the DVD player using HDMI. I can get great video and audio from the TV speakers but when I hooked up the coax digital audio out from the DVD player to my receiver I cant hear the audio. I then removed that cable and just used the Optical Digital Audio out from the back of the TV and put it into my reciever.

I still cant hear sound though. Am I right in assuming that if the HDMI is taking audio into the TV then the Digital audio output should send it to my reciever? If I am right, what else could be wrong with my settings on the TV or the DVD player perhaps? (I have tested the reviever and it is working correctly)

Thanks for your help. Mark
post #299 of 578 Old 08-12-2007, 08:54 PM

Nonametofame:

I looked at those pictures. That is a similar smudge but MUCH darker than the one on my TV. If that was on my TV it would already be returned.

I will be interested in hearing what Samsung tells you so please let us know.
post #300 of 578 Old 08-12-2007, 09:05 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrussell View Post

The Samsung web site states 97.9 lbs for the TV and 129 lbs with packing.

Yes it states that, however, my manual has it listed as 109.8. Dl the manual and you'll see. Maybe the manual is wrong. Samsung was no help at all with this.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page