Samsung HL-T67xxW info **NO PRICE TALK OR WHERE TO BUY!! - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 578 Old 07-03-2007, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Directly from the Samsung website the T7288 has 3 HDMI 1.3 but the Costco T6756 has 2 HDMI version undeclared therefore I assume it is only 1.2. Hey this still looks like a good value next month. It basically has last years frame with this years guts. Just like the S6767 was. It claims to have 120 hz refresh rate and improved 3:2 pulldown. I'll be out of state on vacation until Aug. 9. Save me one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 578 Old 07-07-2007, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When I read the manual, it appears to be HDMI 1.3.
post #33 of 578 Old 07-07-2007, 05:08 PM

Anyone know if we can buy this now, and then have them credit you the $400 during August?
post #34 of 578 Old 07-07-2007, 10:45 PM

Costco won't do the credit later: they'll make you return the one you bought and buy another at the lower price even though it seems silly for them to do that.
post #35 of 578 Old 07-09-2007, 12:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
far182, I was thinking about the same thing... I assumed they must have some sort of price guarantee. However, my research led me to the same answer that Gurn Blanston provided. Returning a 67" TV is no trivial matter, so it looks like I'll be waiting until August 6th.

On the positive side, my research has also led me to believe that Costco WILL offer a rain check if the item is out of stock during the week of the sale. Can anyone else confirm this?

Here is a post speaking about their rain checks:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post7827373

post #36 of 578 Old 07-09-2007, 12:53 PM

Oh, I also just ran across this post:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8372383

A clever idea that might get you the $400 off, and still let you buy it early, but it's no guarantee.

post #37 of 578 Old 07-09-2007, 06:21 PM

Costco will price adjust for 30 days after that your have to return it. I have done in on my previous tv. They had coupon came out and as I was under 30 days they gave me refund. I have talked with costco also.
post #38 of 578 Old 07-12-2007, 12:05 AM

Has anyone seen the geometry of the HL-T6756W? I have seen one HL-T7288W and the side pillar bowing was approximately 1/4 inch between the middle of the screen and the top or bottom. I have seen two HL-T6156W's at Sam's Clubs and one was somewhat bad with approx. 1/2 inch of bowing and the other unit was horrendous with approx 1 inch of bowing. I am really interested in the HL-T6756W as it's the perfect size for my cabinet. However, after reading other threads and seeing these in person, my tentative conclusion is that Samsung has the most accurate color, very good contrast ratio, good black levels and absolutely the worst geometry of any microdisplays that I have ever seen. It's a dilemma since the HL-T7288W with an HDNET feed at a small retail store was the best picture quality (outside of geometry) that I have seen in any microdisplay.
post #39 of 578 Old 07-13-2007, 08:18 PM

Does anyone know the exact height of this TV with the stand? I'm trying to fit into an existing Entertainment Center.

Thanks in advance.
- John
post #40 of 578 Old 07-17-2007, 12:49 PM

Pardon my ignorance, as I don't hang out here much, but what is SSE? I saw the set at CostCo in Poway, CA today and the colors were vivid and good definition. On Aug 6 it becomes $2399.99. I'm thinking of jumping on this. Maybe not knowing about SSE is good at my level of expertise, but I'd appreciate any answer. Thanks.
post #41 of 578 Old 07-17-2007, 12:54 PM

63" with the stand.
Anyone know if it would be harmful to put my Mirage center speaker (25w x 7.5h x 12d) on the bottom shelf, as I don't think it will fit on the top shelf of the included stand? At least it didn't look like it and it sure won't fit on top of the Samsung as it does on my Mitsubishi rear projection now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie86 View Post

Does anyone know the exact height of this TV with the stand? I'm trying to fit into an existing Entertainment Center.

Thanks in advance.
- John

post #42 of 578 Old 07-17-2007, 01:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtruett1 View Post

Pardon my ignorance, as I don't hang out here much, but what is SSE? I saw the set at CostCo in Poway, CA today and the colors were vivid and good definition. On Aug 6 it becomes $2399.99. I'm thinking of jumping on this. Maybe not knowing about SSE is good at my level of expertise, but I'd appreciate any answer. Thanks.

What I use SSE (Silk Screen Effect) to describe is this.

In order to decrease reflections, increase contrast, and increase brightness for the viewer of a RPTV a special type of "fresnel lens" screen is used. One layer of the screen has grooves cut to reject external light, and to concentrate projected light in the normal viewing area.

The unintended side effect is that if your attention shifts from the image to the screen itself you see the pattern of the "fresnel" grooves. It's my impression that over the past four years the "pattern" has gotten finer and more regular in appearance.

Some people, probably with their contrast turned way up, see sparkles too. I assume that's the result of too much brightness reflecting off of the "fresnel" grooves.

Others describe a very light silk cloth stretched over the image.

Maybe this will also help.

Silk Screen Effect (SSE)
post #43 of 578 Old 07-19-2007, 06:51 AM

Liked: 12
Received my 6756 a few days ago. It looks great! I immediately did some basic calibration and it already looks better than my 6767w (probably cuz of how dim it had become with the old bulb I'm gonna spend some more time tweaking but a couple of observations:

1. A lot of folk are reporting a bowing issue with the new Samsungs and I am happy to report that is not the case with my set! The frame seems very sturdy to me. Course I think folk are saying the Costco models are based on last years frames (which suite me just fine

2. Strangely, when making brightness adjustments, brightness changes from Service Menu to normal menu. A bit annoying that I can make adjustments within the SM and have the setting too bright outside the SM. Although, I haven't taken any measurements I am suspicious that the greyscale changes I made might me different too. Gotta measure later.

3. The color decoder on my 6767w was broken, in that CYAN was not adjustable. No problems with this set. (I don't know if others had this issue but thought I would point it out).

4. I thought that by naming an HDMI input to PC you would get the benefit of using PC Mode but it does not appear that is the case. Can anyone else confirm.

5. I have noticed no SSE (no Rainbows) with this set. Course, I didn't with the old set either except during Sin City.

Feel free to ask any questions if curious.

(Edit - We should make this thread the owners thread. Thread needs to be renamed).
post #44 of 578 Old 07-19-2007, 11:27 AM
dsm

The 6756W sets have just arrived at our local Costco. I've been looking at different options for quite some time, and think this may be the choice for me. I don't like the shiny screens on the plasmas within my price range, LCD's are either too small, too expensive, or insufficient black levels. The Toshiba 65" RP seems like a great deal, but I'm concerned that it's going out of production. The only thing it seems I'm giving up with this set as compared to all of the other options is perhaps viewing angle, but in my room this isn't a big deal.

My biggest concern after browsing all of the threads is the reliability of Samsung sets. I've had a Panasonic LED RP for the last two years with no problems, and hope to have similar success with the Samsung. Bulb replacement is a given, so no problem there. Costco extends the factory warranty to two years, so that's some peace of mind. It seems this set uses a sturdier case, so the "smilely face" issue should be minimized.

What I'm after is a great picture, with excellent black levels in dim lighting, and good reliability. This set also appears to work well with HTPC's, and I should find joy with one of more of my choices of HDMI, VGA or component input.

Can I count on this set to meet my needs for the next few years? The upcoming coupon deal seems to make this choice compelling.
post #45 of 578 Old 07-19-2007, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
For the next few years who knows? I just feel the the picture and color is outstanding. I also have the Samsung HLN617 which also has a good picture (and I thought it was a great picture at the time I bought it about 4 years ago). It is still working fine with no problems at all. I think for the price you cannt beat this set.
post #46 of 578 Old 07-19-2007, 06:27 PM

For anyone that has the set (that hasn't thrown away the boxes) can you measure them?

I'm trying to figure out if I need to rent a truck, or if it will fit in my Honda Odyssey.

I know I can separate the TV box from the stand box.

post #47 of 578 Old 07-19-2007, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

If I remember correctly the TV box is 48.5" high and 24" deep. I don't rember how wide the box was but it was about 5 inches greater that the TV width.
post #48 of 578 Old 07-20-2007, 10:23 AM
dsm

The box dimensions I saw quoted on-line (TV only) were 68" x 49" x 23.5" (Length, Height, Width), and 130 lbs. Matchs what I saw in the store. Too tall for my brother's Sequoia (I don't want to risk screwing up the geometry by laying it flat, even for a short haul), so it looks like I'll be renting a pick up - Uhaul has them available for 20 bucks a day, plus 70 cents a mile.
post #49 of 578 Old 07-20-2007, 11:23 AM

Thanks for the responses.

I think it will JUST fit, but I will have to lay it flat. How dangerous is that for the geometry (I only have about 2 miles to drive from Costco to my house)?

post #50 of 578 Old 07-20-2007, 12:48 PM
dsm

Quote:
Originally Posted by [KYA]Mega View Post

I think it will JUST fit, but I will have to lay it flat. How dangerous is that for the geometry (I only have about 2 miles to drive from Costco to my house)?

I don't have any personal experience, but other threads complain about geometry issues with the newest Samsung sets, so I don't think I'll be taking the chance. This particular set supposedly has a more substantial case, and I think the fact that Costco probably handled shipping to the warehouse (not some mystery shipper) gives me peace of mind that these sets should be ok geometry wise. The problem with reserving/renting a truck up front ... what if I go to the store and they're out of stock? I guess I'll try the tag team approach.
post #51 of 578 Old 07-20-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisedesi View Post

Costco will price adjust for 30 days after that your have to return it. I have done in on my previous tv. They had coupon came out and as I was under 30 days they gave me refund. I have talked with costco also.

I received a response from Costco via email that said I would need to bring back the TV and re-purchase (see below). I went to the local store and go the same message. The Asst Mgr said they"might" be able to do the refund on the difference but it is up to the store manager and there is no guarantee. He said Samsung among others does not like extending the promo period. Samsung picks up most if not all the discount and they want to see the Sales date to honor their commitment to Costco.

I am definitely buying this TV but I will wait until Aug 6th and not take the chance of losing the $400. I know I could repackage the unit, tear down the stand and repackage, return it and buy another. big hassle! I'm not that impatient.

The manager said if I came in Aug 6th and they were sold out, I could get a rain check and come back when a new supply arrives. He said they would be getting extra stock.

Costco Response below
: :

Dear Richard,

Thank you for your email to Costco Wholesale.

You will have to return the item back into the warehouse for a full refund and then purchase it at the discount price.

Thank you,

Scott
Costco Wholesale Corporation
memberservice@costco.com
post #52 of 578 Old 07-20-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [KYA]Mega View Post

I dont think it will be a problem. Im driving mine flat for about 120 miles. I can save about $200 in taxes (different state) doing it that way. If I have a problem I'll just return it to the Costco 2 miles from my house.

The only question I have is do I transport the TV screen up or screen down in the back of my truck??
post #53 of 578 Old 07-20-2007, 09:14 PM

Hi All. I too am eagerly awaiting the coupon date to purchase the new sets.

I was at Costco today and the manager told me the same story regarding the return if you purchase early.

Can anyone who has the set confirm that the HDMI/DVI (#3 I think) WORKS with a HTPC? This is of the uptmost importance to me.

I also do not think these new versions come with PIP/POP. Not quite a deal breaker but the Mitsubishi's which also claim to support true 1080P PC resolutions does have it and you can do HDMI & RGB next to each other!

I just dont think the Mitsu Diamond series is nearly as good of a TV (plus the 65" is $3K).

I also will need to ship on its back or front for about 5 miles (or rent a truck). If anyone has experience if this is potentially damaging or perfectly fine I would like to know.

To who was asking about quality - I am replacing a HLN-61 I have had for 4 years with no issues. Its a fantastic TV! I just need the extra resolution for PC that the 1080P offers.
post #54 of 578 Old 07-21-2007, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidhightakeall View Post

I received a response from Costco via email that said I would need to bring back the TV and re-purchase (see below). I went to the local store and go the same message. The Asst Mgr said they"might" be able to do the refund on the difference but it is up to the store manager and there is no guarantee. He said Samsung among others does not like extending the promo period. Samsung picks up most if not all the discount and they want to see the Sales date to honor their commitment to Costco.

I am definitely buying this TV but I will wait until Aug 6th and not take the chance of losing the $400. I know I could repackage the unit, tear down the stand and repackage, return it and buy another. big hassle! I'm not that impatient.

The manager said if I came in Aug 6th and they were sold out, I could get a rain check and come back when a new supply arrives. He said they would be getting extra stock.

Costco Response below
: :

Dear Richard,

Thank you for your email to Costco Wholesale.

You will have to return the item back into the warehouse for a full refund and then purchase it at the discount price.

Thank you,

Scott
Costco Wholesale Corporation
memberservice@costco.com

I have done this in the past with other items at my local Costco without any problems. Also I specifically asked the manager about this and he said as long as it is within the 30 day period you will not have a problem.
post #55 of 578 Old 07-21-2007, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I transported my set flat for about three miles without any problems. It was tied to the top of my sons SUV resting on the two tie down rails.
post #56 of 578 Old 07-21-2007, 08:43 PM

Id really like to confirm if this set has HDMI 1.3. The manual is real fuzzy on the issue but states that the cables to be used should be v1.3 and talks about if the external device doesnt support it to plug it into HDMI2 which supports DVI/analog audio inputs. Its a talking about audio issues with HDMI though and may have nothing to do with deep color etc. Anyone got a clue?

Straight from the manual.

The external devices that support lower versioned HDMI mode may not implement sound output for the TV with the latest HDMI version (HDMI 1.3).
In this case connect to HDMI2/DVI IN and DVI IN [R-AUDIO-L] on the back panel of the TV.

Part of the lower versioned HDMI cables may cause annoying flickers or no screen display. In this case use the cable that supports the latest HDMI version (HDMI 1.3).
post #57 of 578 Old 07-22-2007, 01:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by edpsx View Post

Id really like to confirm if this set has HDMI 1.3.

I don't think these sets have HDMI 1.3, but there is a slim possibility that they do. They are intended to be sold in warehouse type locations, and in general those models don't have the latest technology. What you have read in the User's Manual might just be careless "cut and paste" work.

Quote:

The manual is real fuzzy on the issue but states that the cables to be used should be v1.3 and talks about if the external device doesnt support it to plug it into HDMI2 which supports DVI/analog audio inputs.

Don't be misled by the manual. The only reason that HDMI2 has associated analog stereo audio inputs associated with it is so you can get audio to your TV if you are using a HDMI to DVI cable. Some cable and satellite STBs have DVI output for video only.

Quote:

Its a talking about audio issues with HDMI though and may have nothing to do with deep color etc. Anyone got a clue?

It's talking about using a DVI (no audio) to a HDMI port.

Quote:

The external devices that support lower versioned HDMI mode may not implement sound output for the TV with the latest HDMI version (HDMI 1.3).
In this case connect to HDMI2/DVI IN and DVI IN [R-AUDIO-L] on the back panel of the TV.

Whoever wrote this portion of the manual seems confessed to me.

Quote:

Part of the lower versioned HDMI cables may cause annoying flickers or no screen display. In this case use the cable that supports the latest HDMI version (HDMI 1.3).

The only time an older HDMI cable might cause trouble would be if you were attaching an HDMI 1.3 input device that expected to send a wider band with than is available now. It will be sometime before there will be input data streams that will be too much for cables that are not certified for HDMI 1.3.
post #58 of 578 Old 07-22-2007, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

I don't think these sets have HDMI 1.3, but there is a slim possibility that they do. They are intended to be sold in warehouse type locations, and in general those models don't have the latest technology. What you have read in the User's Manual might just be careless "cut and paste" work.

Don't be misled by the manual. The only reason that HDMI2 has associated analog stereo audio inputs associated with it is so you can get audio to your TV if you are using a HDMI to DVI cable. Some cable and satellite STBs have DVI output for video only.

It's talking about using a DVI (no audio) to a HDMI port.

Whoever wrote this portion of the manual seems confessed to me.

The only time an older HDMI cable might cause trouble would be if you were attaching an HDMI 1.3 input device that expected to send a wider band with than is available now. It will be sometime before there will be input data streams that will be too much for cables that are not certified for HDMI 1.3.

I understood what it all said, but thanks for the breakdown for everyone else. I guess its just false hope that this TV would have the 1.3. What Ive found out of the warehouse location TVs is usually last years cabinets with this years technology inside, just the lamp version of it. (ala the 76 series) <-- I guess with that thinking it would be 1.2 as so is the 76 series.

You would think that anything 62" and above would be an "elite" size TV so to speak and would have top of the line components inside of it. Aka the 72" out now.

I may still get this TV just due to shear price point alone. I really wanted something bigger than the 61", but wanted the LED technology and 1.3. I recently purchased the TX-SR605 and a 7.1 Aperion audio setup and said to myself, Im spending the money, might as well go big. I dont know at this point. Im going to Costco today to look at the TV and see how much I like it and how bad bowing might be.
post #59 of 578 Old 07-22-2007, 09:29 AM

OK, we need to break this down so idiots like me can understand it.

What does not having HDMI 1.3 capabilities mean for this set. will I be able to:

Install a Blue-Ray or HD DVD player and get the full visual effect?

Can I install a audio receiver?

can I get a virtual surround sound like Bose 321 system?

how about a regular surround sound system 5.1? how about a 7.1?

I'm probably getting this TV but I want to make sure the HDMI issue isnt going to prevent me from getting basic inputs out of the TV.

Can anyone explain the HDMI 1.3 issue in laymans terms or what this TV is missing.
post #60 of 578 Old 07-22-2007, 10:34 AM

As of now it means nothing for you. Its for future use only with Deep Color etc. You'll be able to do any of the above you mentioned. As of now 1.3 is just a future perk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadawg View Post

OK, we need to break this down so idiots like me can understand it.

What does not having HDMI 1.3 capabilities mean for this set. will I be able to:

Install a Blue-Ray or HD DVD player and get the full visual effect?

Can I install a audio receiver?

can I get a virtual surround sound like Bose 321 system?

how about a regular surround sound system 5.1? how about a 7.1?

I'm probably getting this TV but I want to make sure the HDMI issue isnt going to prevent me from getting basic inputs out of the TV.

Can anyone explain the HDMI 1.3 issue in laymans terms or what this TV is missing.

Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page