post #181 of 578 Old 08-07-2007, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

This is just a tip.

No matter how cute you guys get about Costco, threads to get deleted as useless when most of the content has to do with price, and where to buy. In this case it's hard to understand because it's a sole source model.

Yes, it's hard to understand, especially since your fellow moderators are editing posts (such as mine on the previous page) that mention where to buy and how much it sells for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 578 Old 08-07-2007, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

bighightakeall: sounds like it's bowing this way )(

and not this way v ^ Am I right?

When you watch CNN or ESPN, do you notice bowing in the top and bottom bars?

On my set their is bowing only on the sides of 4:3 (vertical) material. Their is no horizontal bowing or distortion. It should not matter if the bars on the side are gray or black you should still get this bowing since it is an optical problem. But quite frankly it is not that bad. I wish it was not their but it is not a deal breaker.
post #183 of 578 Old 08-07-2007, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbarnett513 View Post

Yes, it's hard to understand, especially since your fellow moderators are editing posts (such as mine on the previous page) that mention where to buy and how much it sells for.

I guess they feel it puts other retailers that sell other models at a disadvantage. It would also put other manufactures products at a disadvantage. Its their board so we need to play by their rules.
post #184 of 578 Old 08-07-2007, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post

On my set their is bowing only on the sides of 4:3 (vertical) material. Their is no horizontal bowing or distortion. It should not matter if the bars on the side are gray or black you should still get this bowing since it is an optical problem. But quite frankly it is not that bad. I wish it was not their but it is not a deal breaker.

I agree with PaulGo. It is bowing on the sides whenever the picture is in the 4:3 format. Like PaulGo I don't think it is a deal breaker. Either stretch the picture in the widescreen format or better yet, just watch High Def programs. there is enough content now on all the High Def channels that there is little need or desire to watch non-High Def programming. I don't want to sound like a snob, but my viewing habits and tastes have changed. My daughter who is married has had a HDTV for over two years. she too only watches High Def. I would bet there are others out there that also limit their viewing primarily to High Def.
post #185 of 578 Old 08-07-2007, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadawg View Post

Question for the experts:

I got my 6756W home and set it up. Have a question about what indicator lights are supposed to be on when you shut down your TV. The only way I can get the lamp in the back to turn off is when the red standby mode is indicated on the front of the TV (is that normal?). If I turn everything off where the are no indicator lights on in the front of the TV, the lamp in the back stays on.

Turn off TV
No indicator lights on front: lamp stays on in back
Red standby Mode: Lamp goes out everything seems fine

Not sure if (red) standby mode is considered OFF or not.

What does your TV do? Perhaps I have the cable hooked up wrong??

Seadawg,

You should have a red LED on when your TV is off. What can happen is you turn off your cable box or cable DVR and not your TV. Then the lamp stays on but you don't see a picture since your Cable box is off. That is not a good habit!. Your bulb will not last a year if you leave the bulb lit all the time. Just be sure you see the red LED when you shut down your system and it will be okay. I know it's not intuitive but I have seen other manufacturers (i.e. Philips) do similar things(LED on when unit is off and LED goes out when unit is on) Go figure? I think they do this just to confuse both of us! :-(
post #186 of 578 Old 08-07-2007, 12:07 PM

I purchased the Samsung 6756 yesterday. It didn't come with anything to secure the TV to the stand. Any suggestions for how to secure the TV?

Thanks
post #187 of 578 Old 08-07-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Nuts View Post

I purchased the Samsung 6756 yesterday. It didn't come with anything to secure the TV to the stand. Any suggestions for how to secure the TV?

Thanks

how is the fit with the tv and stand? does it seem wobbly on the stand included?
post #188 of 578 Old 08-07-2007, 12:51 PM

Quote:

Thanks

D's Nuts

What is the reason for securing the stand? I put my TV on the stand and it requires some effort to move it? Do you have children you are worried about? Most TVs do not bolt down on the stands.
post #189 of 578 Old 08-07-2007, 01:13 PM

can anyone with the 6756 comment on the viewing angle? I'm considering this TV or Sony's SXRD line, which I'm pretty impressed with the viewing angle on.
post #190 of 578 Old 08-07-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidhightakeall View Post

D's Nuts

What is the reason for securing the stand? I put my TV on the stand and it requires some effort to move it? Do you have children you are worried about? Most TVs do not bolt down on the stands.

Yes, I have kids. It seems very front heavy and seems like it could tip over or be pulled over fairly easy. I also live in California so earthquakes are a possible issue.

Thanks
post #191 of 578 Old 08-07-2007, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOG View Post

can anyone with the 6756 comment on the viewing angle? I'm considering this TV or Sony's SXRD line, which I'm pretty impressed with the viewing angle on.

Phantom, I believe the viewing angle is about the same as other DLP. If you like a very bright picture, this is the TV for you.
post #192 of 578 Old 08-07-2007, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, I have kids. It seems very front heavy and seems like it could tip over or be pulled over fairly easy. I also live in California so earthquakes are a possible issue.

Thanks

Their appears to be two empty screw holes on te back bottom of the set. I assume they were put their to secure the TV. I could not find anything in the manual about these holes.
post #193 of 578 Old 08-07-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOG View Post

Unless you are sitting at a severe angle, the viewing angle is fine. We watch the TV from the couch which is about 12 feet away and centered on the TV, as well as a love seat and recliner that are at an angle (I'm guessing each is offset by 45-50 degrees) and they are about 10 feet away. I see little or no difference in the clarity or brightness from any of these spots.

If you are looking at the TV in a store, you need to squat down to appreciate the picture brightness. Like all DLPs, when you are sitting, you should be near eye level with the middle of the screen. If you for some reason do a lot of TV watching standing up or lying on the floor, you might get some degradation, although very little.

Hope that helps
post #194 of 578 Old 08-07-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidhightakeall View Post

Seadawg,

You should have a red LED on when your TV is off. What can happen is you turn off your cable box or cable DVR and not your TV. Then the lamp stays on but you don't see a picture since your Cable box is off. That is not a good habit!. Your bulb will not last a year if you leave the bulb lit all the time. Just be sure you see the red LED when you shut down your system and it will be okay. I know it's not intuitive but I have seen other manufacturers (i.e. Philips) do similar things(LED on when unit is off and LED goes out when unit is on) Go figure? I think they do this just to confuse both of us! :-(

Bidhigh.

I called Samsung and they told exactly what you did. Thanks for the info. Usually red means there is something wrong or stop, kinda confusing, but I'll make sure the red light is on when the TV is off.. Thanks for the info. This TV rocks...and I dont even have HD hooked up yet (tomorrow)
post #195 of 578 Old 08-07-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post

Their appears to be two empty screw holes on te back bottom of the set. I assume they were put their to secure the TV. I could not find anything in the manual about these holes.

Yes, I saw those too. I picked up some L brackets and will secure the TV to the stand. I'm suprised there isn't more concern about securing the TV since they are so front heavy.
post #196 of 578 Old 08-07-2007, 05:35 PM
y2j

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I bought the Samsung 6767W from Costco about 6 months ago. It had a problem from day one where there were what appeared to be clouds or smears on the inside of the screen in the upper left corner. Once I found out about the 6756W, I returned my defective unit and picked up one of the brand new models on Sunday. I paid the original full price. I went back to Costco with my receipt today and after waiting about 15 minutes and having 5 managers discuss it they honored the $300 price drop and also honored the $400 coupon. So I'm a very happy camper now. I like the looks of the new model better than the old one and the screen doesn't have any flaws I can see as of yet. This deal cannot be beat and the tv is the best one I've owned and my other tv is a 65" Pioneer Elite RPTV which cost over 3 times more than the Samsung. If anyone is on the fence, get off and pick one up. With the 90 day return policy at Costco you really have nothing to lose!

post #197 of 578 Old 08-07-2007, 06:12 PM

Viewing angle on mine is awesome. Had the Mitsubishi 65734 last month and returned it because of the notorious hum. While we had it you couldn't see anything from the kitchen, which extends from about 50 degrees off center to parallel with the screen. On the Samsung I can actually almost see the image until the bezel starts to block it out (lose line of sight). I estimate the viewing angle is probably 160 degrees, or at least it seems that way on mine.

I am not exaggerating. I couldn't believe it.
post #198 of 578 Old 08-07-2007, 07:34 PM

I bought the TV Monday night, and my experience has been disappointing.
First the TV table. One of the threaded wells in the top shelf was bad (couldn't screw in bolt). I called the table manufacturer and they will send me a replacement part in 4-6 business days.

The TV has many dark/dead spots. Some of these dark spots are much bigger, darker, and irregular in shape. Some look like dead pixels and some of the bigger irregular ones look like foreign material (dirt). Check your screen carefully folks.

This is a real shame, because aside from these screen defects, I really like this TV. I haven't read any other reports like this here, so it sounds like I got the bad apple. These defects are only visible from a few feet (closer than I'll ever be sitting), but I just can't see spending this much money and accepting this many defects, which are outside the manufacturers acceptance specs. It doesn't look like there has been any quallity control check of the picture. I'll want to exchange this TV for another of the same model. I assume that I have to return it and purchase another. In that case, do I have to do it before the coupon expires, or risk repurchasing at a higher price?

It was a real inconvenience to get this home (borrow friends truck). Any chance Costco would have another delivered and pick this one up without charge? I'll call them tomorrow.
post #199 of 578 Old 08-07-2007, 08:17 PM

From other product experiences with Costco I'm pretty sure they DO NOT exchange, only refund so you would have to purchase a new one.

I'm still on the fence about purchasing this model, really wanted PIP/POP but it does seem like an incredible deal with the price drop, matching stand, 3 year warranty and size so I'm getting ready to jump, but was looking for more feedback on quality and issues.

I will mention that anyone who does purchase this set, should consider upgrading their Costco membership to the Executive level before they buy. The 2% cash back you get on this purchase alone will make-up $42 of the $50 upgrade fee, and of course you will get the 2% back on any other Costco purchases throughout the year. I just did so tonight and was told that even at the end of the year, if I didn't make back the difference I could ask for the difference back.
post #200 of 578 Old 08-07-2007, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

"It was a real inconvenience to get this home (borrow friends truck). Any chance Costco would have another delivered and pick this one up without charge? I'll call them tomorrow."

Costco does not do this. You have to return it for a refund and then repurchase a different set. Sorry about your bad experiance. Your other option is to call Samsung service and get the set repaired. From what you describe it appears some dirt got into the projection path and it need to be cleaned. I don't think it is a bad DLP chip.
post #201 of 578 Old 08-07-2007, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBanks29 View Post

I bought the TV Monday night, and my experience has been disappointing.
First the TV table. One of the threaded wells in the top shelf was bad (couldn't screw in bolt). I called the table manufacturer and they will send me a replacement part in 4-6 business days.

The TV has many dark/dead spots. Some of these dark spots are much bigger, darker, and irregular in shape. Some look like dead pixels and some of the bigger irregular ones look like foreign material (dirt). Check your screen carefully folks.

This is a real shame, because aside from these screen defects, I really like this TV. I haven't read any other reports like this here, so it sounds like I got the bad apple. These defects are only visible from a few feet (closer than I'll ever be sitting), but I just can't see spending this much money and accepting this many defects, which are outside the manufacturers acceptance specs. It doesn't look like there has been any quallity control check of the picture. I'll want to exchange this TV for another of the same model. I assume that I have to return it and purchase another. In that case, do I have to do it before the coupon expires, or risk repurchasing at a higher price?

It was a real inconvenience to get this home (borrow friends truck). Any chance Costco would have another delivered and pick this one up without charge? I'll call them tomorrow.

JBanks29,

That is a shame. I haven't heard any complaints on this set other than the minor bowing. While it is a pain to try to get the TV back this week, you probably want to try. You never know how long it might take Samsung to come out and repair it and you don't want to lose out on the price. You do not need to re-box based on the answer I got at the San Marcos CA store. I wasn't sure if you were aware of it. You should probably take your assembled stand with you but my guess is they will let you keep that one and they will retain the boxed one that came with your set. That would be easier on them as well as you.

Have you called the store to check and see if they will give you the same price you paid even if you are a few days late bringing it back next week? They may honor that price if you return your set and immediately buy another. I have found them to be easy to work with. I got my $700 credit at a one of their stores even though I bought it at another.

I am sure you will have better luck on the second set. By the way I looked at my set within 2 feet and saw no blemishes.

Good Luck
post #202 of 578 Old 08-07-2007, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 126
how is flesh tone on this set. To me, flesh tone and faces tend to be the achilles' heel of DLPs.

(still eagerly waiting pics. I know I know. you can't really judge anything by pics, but bright, flourescent-lit warehouses aren't very good for that either).
post #203 of 578 Old 08-07-2007, 11:56 PM

Just hooked this up and, all I can say is WOW. It does a great job with SD. I hooked up a PS3 and popped in a blu-ray movie (King Arthur), and the picture was bad, not very bad, but a little grainy. Something was definitely not right. I'm going to try another blu-ray movie tomorrow and see if it was just the King Arther film. I put in a regular DVD in my upscaling (to 1080i) panasonic DVD player, and I was amazed. at about 10 feet away, it was like watching 1080P HD. Very clear picture. I don't think you would even need an HD DVD or Blu-Ray player, the picture is that good. I have to say after I saw the picture clarity on the sammy, I moved the panasonic dvd player back to my theater to see if the picture would be that clear, the samsung definitely beats my projector in SD movie quality (For comparison, in the theater is a JVC DLA-RS1 1080P projecting onto a 110" screen, seating distance at about 14 ft). By the way, I'm very meticulous about watching movies/TV. The picture and sound have to be perfect, and I would say that the bowing is not a deal breaker for me. Also the bowing only happens on the bottom, not the top on my TV. I'll let you guy's know about the Blu-ray movie tomorrow. Also if anyone else can test out a blu-ray or HD-DVD movie, please let me know the results. Thanks.
post #204 of 578 Old 08-08-2007, 12:03 AM

barth2k,
I think with all the settings on normal the picture looks good. But it takes a little fooling around with in the settings to get the picture perfect. One thing I like about this TV is you have full control of every aspect of the color. So getting the flesh tones as close to perfect as possible shouldn't be a problem. I will try taking pictures and posting them tomorrow. Let me know if there's a certain scene you would like to see, otherwise I will take a few of a Blu-ray movie, DVD, and 4:3 bowing.
post #205 of 578 Old 08-08-2007, 06:19 AM

Personally, I thought the SD quality was only OK, but as the saying goes "garbage in, garbage out." Can't expect to take a crumby SD signal, blow it up to this size, and have it look like anything compared to the HD channels or a DVD.

I was impressed with my 360's upscaling of Underworld Evolution, as well. Later this week I'll be trying 300 on HD-DVD. Can't wait for that.
post #206 of 578 Old 08-08-2007, 07:28 AM

Hi All,

I got a great deal on the 56xx LED based set 2 weeks ago, but after seeing the 67xx at Costco last night I have mixed feelings. I don't want to deal with changing bulbs every 3,000 hours, but the picture seems so much brighter (which I prefer) on the 67xx. Also the vertical viewing angle seems much better.

Anyways, I'm looking for opinions here....

Is it me or is there a dramatic brightness difference between the new LED DLP and the Bulb-based DLP Samsungs?

Thanks in advance!!

Ken
post #207 of 578 Old 08-08-2007, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by cymmgarcia View Post

Hi All,

I got a great deal on the 56xx LED based set 2 weeks ago, but after seeing the 67xx at Costco last night I have mixed feelings. I don't want to deal with changing bulbs every 3,000 hours, but the picture seems so much brighter (which I prefer) on the 67xx. Also the vertical viewing angle seems much better.

Anyways, I'm looking for opinions here....

Is it me or is there a dramatic brightness difference between the new LED DLP and the Bulb-based DLP Samsungs?

Thanks in advance!!

Ken

No it's not just you. The bulbed ones ARE brighter. I don't know if it's dramatic. Depends on the material, I guess.

But being a little darker isn't such a bad thing really. I think the LEDs are still plenty bright. (Keep in mind too the bulb will dim over time, and the bulbed DLPs you see in store probably have contrast cranked to the max.) To me the LEDs seem to have better colors, though that just in-store impression so I don't know if it's accurate.

Longer life, slimmer cabinet, and no rainbow to worry about. If they made LEDs at this size, I'd be very interested.
post #208 of 578 Old 08-08-2007, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Where did you get the 3,000 hour figure from? The average life of the bulb should be over 5,000 hours.
post #209 of 578 Old 08-08-2007, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipercompany View Post

Also if anyone else can test out a blu-ray or HD-DVD movie, please let me know the results. Thanks.

Casino Royal Blu-Ray via PS3 was amazing. Probably the best picture I have seen anywhere, ever. And I am still on component cables at 1080i. I just can't imagine it getting any better at 1080P but I will try.

I watched Hellboy directors cut on DVD at 480p, and I noticed some pixely color banding. This was also before I calibrated (Casino Royal is the only full movie I've watched since calibrating). However, I am assuming this was a source problem more than a TV issue. The bad thing about an amazing TV is it reveals the shortcomings of the source more.

For everyone with a PS3, please download the Click 1080P preview from the Sony Online Store. That is the best looking trailer on there IMO, and it will also give everyone the same frame of reference.

The quality (for me) on the Click preview was not as good as Casino Royal, but very good. Colors are vivid, and I only saw graininess in areas that were probably grainy on the original film source. I think Adam Sandler has fairly reddish skin tone in real life, so at first I thought I was red-shifted, but now I think it was just him. hehe

post #210 of 578 Old 08-08-2007, 11:37 AM

Speaking of reference material, I was very impressed with the test videos in Windows Media Center. For those that haven't seen them, they feature a handful of people shooting pool in a room with tons of colors and blacks/white strewn about. Their clothes are also brightly colored. The "suit and shirt" picture really helped me adjust the brightness, and the "white shirt with wrinkles" really helped my contrast.

My Avia disk won't be here until today, so I needed something to get it close.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page