Self Install Sony Optical Block - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 62 Old 06-22-2007, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Sony KDS - R60XBR1 60 inch TV. It is about 1 and a half years old. The color seemed off so I called a tech in to have it serviced. He told be the problem was with the "color engine" ( his term ). He ordered the part when he was here Tuesday and the part arrived this morning. The part he ordered is called an Optics Block Sony part A1127174A. I called service today to advise them that I have received the part and when could the tech. come back to install it. I was told that the soonest he could do would be in 2 weeks. My question is this: Is this a part that I could install myself? If so, where could I find instructions on how to do it?
Thank you.
Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 Old 06-23-2007, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 33
You install that and you loose any kind of warranty on parts/labor for the repair. Do you really want to chance the possibility of having to pay for another engine at $800+ ?

Hammer
post #3 of 62 Old 06-23-2007, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Hammer,
No...I guess I am not willing to loose the warranty by trying to install the OB myself. It is just frustrating to have to wait so long to have this tv fixed. Makes me wonder just how many other people are having the same kind of problem.
post #4 of 62 Old 06-23-2007, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

With the failure rates with those OB, it would be best to let a professional do it. You are covered until Oct '08 on that part.
post #5 of 62 Old 06-23-2007, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Don't do it! It involves ripping your TV almost completely apart and there are some things in there that are easily damaged. Even techs have been known to hose things up in owners' TVs. Let the tech do it and carry the responsibility. If he does it and the TV is still bad you are well on your way to getting a replacement, upgrade or refund from Sony.
post #6 of 62 Old 06-23-2007, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn View Post

You install that and you loose any kind of warranty on parts/labor for the repair. Do you really want to chance the possibility of having to pay for another engine at $800+ ?

Hammer

While the part (optical block assembly) is warranteed for 2 years, the labor to install it is only 1 year. Unless he has an extended warranty, the labor wouldn't be covered. He says he's had the set for a year and a half.

Although I haven't replaced them on any rear screen TV's, I have done a few on some JVC D'ILA projectors. It's a major job that requires special equipment and a TOTAL recalibration of virtually all the service settings, including bulb shading. Unless there's a secret about these sets that makers it simple, it's a job I would avoid at ANY cost.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -Ghandi
post #7 of 62 Old 06-23-2007, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707 View Post

While the part (optical block assembly) is warranteed for 2 years, the labor to install it is only 1 year. Unless he has an extended warranty, the labor wouldn't be covered. He says he's had the set for a year and a half.

Although I haven't replaced them on any rear screen TV's, I have done a few on some JVC D'ILA projectors. It's a major job that requires special equipment and a TOTAL recalibration of virtually all the service settings, including bulb shading. Unless there's a secret about these sets that makers it simple, it's a job I would avoid at ANY cost.

I thought Sony extended the warranty on all XBR1 optical blocks inlcuding labor up until sometime next year or something? -- I think this was in response to the law suit and what not.

Yea, I found the article..they promise to replace your optical block until October 2008..and I'm quite sure that includes service as well, 90% sure, of course you might want to check...but I think most people have bought an extended warranty anyways.

Also, if you already paid for the replacement of your optical block, they will reimburse you.
post #8 of 62 Old 06-24-2007, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707 View Post

Absolutely no warranty or service plan covers damage. If he were to break a connector or something while installing it, he would have to pay out of pocket to get another one.

Hammer
post #9 of 62 Old 06-24-2007, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyisc00l View Post

I thought Sony extended the warranty on all XBR1 optical blocks inlcuding labor up until sometime next year or something? -- I think this was in response to the law suit and what not.

Yea, I found the article..they promise to replace your optical block until October 2008..and I'm quite sure that includes service as well, 90% sure, of course you might want to check...but I think most people have bought an extended warranty anyways.

Also, if you already paid for the replacement of your optical block, they will reimburse you.

Yes, you're correct. I wasn't aware that they extended it on the XBR units. It makes me wonder what they plan on doing about the A2000 units with the same problems.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -Ghandi
post #10 of 62 Old 06-24-2007, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn View Post

Absolutely no warranty or service plan covers damage. If he were to break a connector or something while installing it, he would have to pay out of pocket to get another one.

Hammer

That's true, no warranty covers damage done by the user, however, that doesn't apply in his case since the optical block is a manufacturing defect. As for any damage he might have caused attempting to put it in, if it's out of warranty, it makes no difference.

post #11 of 62 Old 12-10-2007, 12:25 PM

Saw your post and was wondering if you knew the optical block is covered under an extended warranty, and if you paid for the work to be done, you can be reimbursed. There is a class action lawsuit to be decided in February, 2008 that if the block goes out more than once then they will replace the TV. Check the Sony.com website. You should not have to pay at all for the Optical Block to be installed by a Sony Authorized Repair Service. I have the same problem just recently, have a green hue to my screen which I could not remove by ordinary picture adjustments, very annoying and considering I paid about $4300 for the TV, I was very unhappy, yet Sony has stepped up to the plate to resolve the issue.
post #12 of 62 Old 12-10-2007, 02:37 PM

I also had the problem, if your model is covered there should be no out of pocket cost.

I had parts ordered and service done in a week. It is more work than the average guy wants to take on. They reuse some of the peices off the old block on the new and they expect the old one to be returned.

I work in electronics and still would be nervous about doing it myself, knowing what it would cost me if I screwed up.
post #13 of 62 Old 12-10-2007, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Info posted about CAL just a few days ago in the XBR1 Owner's thread here...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...ostcount=19122
No need to resurrect a thread that died 6 months ago.
post #14 of 62 Old 01-07-2008, 03:16 PM

I had the same issue with my 70". It will take a knowledgeable service tech between 1.5 and 2 hours to literally tear-apart your box. Deep breath ---- Pause --- Deep breath, 6-7 beers and your good to go.

I had to wait 3 weeks for the part and another 1.5 to 2 weeks for the tech. Colors look better today than the day I got it. Let the tech do it and enjoy ......

FYI ... I was not under a warranty or extended warranty and SONY fixed it for free. Hope you get the same treatment. Check out SONY's support page for "know issues", it's there.

good luck.
post #15 of 62 Old 01-08-2008, 02:41 AM

While some optics blocks are relatively simple in and out deals with a couple screws and plugs to undo like Toshiba and Sammy, the Sony is NOT one of those. It's a rather labor intensive job to get one in and out and if you don't know what you're doing you could damage the new block or associated circuitry in the set.
post #16 of 62 Old 01-08-2008, 03:05 AM

here is a link to changing the OB on a KDF-55WF655. It will give you a idea of what you are getting into. It is impoetant to note that he mentions that there are parts on the old block that need to be removed and put on the new block, there are no photos of that.
post #17 of 62 Old 01-13-2008, 10:38 AM

Sony did not step up to the plate they had to be sued, and who is going to pay for the time you have to take off from work to get your Tv diagnoised and repaired?
post #18 of 62 Old 01-13-2008, 04:12 PM

sorry i guess i forgot to include the link from my post # 16, or it was edited out by a mod. Anyway, it is http://splinke.googlepages.com/sonyk...ockreplacement
post #19 of 62 Old 06-08-2008, 01:43 PM

Hey,

If you paid for the repair of your OB you might want to check out this class action lawsuit. You will probably get your money back...
I can't leave the URL (cause I'm new) but if you goggle search

SONY SXRD REAR PROJECTION TELEVISION CLASS ACTION SETTLEMENT AND INFORMATION.

This directly involves your issue.
post #20 of 62 Old 06-08-2008, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you very much counselor.

WeÂre doomed. It will never work
post #21 of 62 Old 11-05-2008, 08:50 AM

IF YOU ARE IN CANADA, YAHOO:2005 SXRD Extended Limited Warranty on Optical Block
Models: KDS-R50XBR1, KDS-R60XBR1.

As part of Sony's commitment to quality, Sony is announcing that it is further extending the limited warranty (parts and labour) on the optical block of KDS-R50XBR1 and KDS-R60XBR1 model SXRD Televisions until June 30, 2009, regardless of purchase date. This extended warranty does not apply to replaceable projection lamp and other parts that may be used in the televisions. All other terms of the Sony limited warranty continue to apply. If you have any questions, please contact Sony Canada's Customer Information Centre at 1-877-899-SONY (7669). For warranty repair service, please contact one of our authorized service depots.

Sony of Canada Ltd.
post #22 of 62 Old 11-29-2008, 07:12 PM

Bought the optical block for $560, and tore into my buetiful 70" sony to relplace the optical block. It took me 3-3.5 scarry hours to do it but I sucseeded. I took pictures of every step (and it is not simple), I basically had the guts of the set all out ove rmy carpet but the only thing you really need is a 10" LONGGG PHILLIPS HEAD, some common sences (take pictures as you go or just mark each connector as you disconnect them in order to get the $%$E%#%# block out, but just be gentle and take you time and you'll get there. I beleive my set may be amoung the most complicated to switch out blocks on... and I have about 25 photos showing practically every step. You definitly need some balls to do it but its really not that bad. If you can switch out a hard drive or power supply in a PC you can do this.... I'm not sure if I'll post all my pictures, but if there is enough interest I will.
PS I'm fileing a small claims case for the $560 I paid and I really believe I'l win based on all of the documents (from the sony website and others) documenting the defective optical block. I have boxed it up in the same packaging that the new one came in and I'm hoping to sell it to a rebiulder for $100-$200. The picture is great,,, much better color...just like new ...I forgot how wonderful these sets are when there new Take care and good luck.
post #23 of 62 Old 12-11-2008, 09:24 PM

KGurton - I am getting ready to replace the OB on the same Sony 70 " TV. Did you post your pictures on the Net anywhere? It would certainly be a great help if you did.
post #24 of 62 Old 12-12-2008, 12:25 PM

Interesting thread ... I just caught up with this one having spent most of my time over in the GWII thread.

tfera1 -
I have a KF-60XBR800 ... so an older vintage version ... I took it apart several weekends ago to see how hard it would be. After reviewing the document that someone had posted (link shown in early post of this thread) for another model where they did the work themselves, I was worried. But when I got into my Sony I was suprised - I removed two holding brackets and there were two "sleds" containing various circuit boards that lifted up and slid out nicely leaving plenty of room to R&R the OB (only two screws), convincing me I could do it. Like someone earlier posted, if your comfortable removing and replacing PC components, it looks relatively easy, at least for my model. Of course you need to be careful, remove all the dust that has accumulated, etc and you do need a very long phillips head screwdriver. Looked like at most 3 cables that had to be unplugged. So that made me think I could do the work myself (my unit is not covered by any of the extended warranties).

So I think you might want to review the earlier post with the link that shows you how they did it on the other model, and then take the time to open your set up for no other reason than to judge for yourself and for your unit what your getting into. For me, I learned there was plenty of room to work in, few items to really remove, etc so I decided to do it myself.

Anyway, the OB arrived yesterday and I'll do the work over the weekend. I'll post again after its over.
post #25 of 62 Old 12-12-2008, 12:34 PM

Liked: 12
I just received an email that Sony extended the warranty on the optical block until 2010.

Dear Valued Sony Customer,

Models: KDS-50A2000, KDS-55A2000, KDS-60A2000, KDS-R60XBR2, KDS-R70XBR2

As part of the Sony commitment to quality, Sony is announcing that it is extending the limited warranty (parts and labor), in the United States, on the optical block of the above-referenced 2006 model SXRD televisions until June 30, 2010, regardless of purchase date. For any customer who requires repair of the optical block on one of the affected models, Sony will cover the cost of the optical block repair (parts and labor) at no charge through June 30, 2010. This extended warranty does not apply to the replaceable projection lamp or the other parts that may be used in the televisions.

Sony is also announcing that for any owner of these model televisions who paid out-of-pocket expenses on or before December 31, 2008 for an estimate or repair service to replace the optical block, Sony will reimburse the customer by mail for the cost of the optical block and the labor expense to replace it, subject to certain conditions. To receive reimbursement, please follow completely the directions on the claim form for reimbursement; all claims must be postmarked by January 31, 2009. See the claim form for complete terms and conditions.

All other terms of the Sony limited warranty continue to apply. Sony utilizes a network of hundreds of qualified independent third-party servicers to perform in-home television warranty service. Sony, through its authorized servicer network, will endeavor to repair your set within 30 days of your first contact. For diagnosis, warranty service, or if you are not provided a repair within 30 days, please contact Sony at (888) 649-7669.

Sincerely,

Sony Electronics

post #26 of 62 Old 12-12-2008, 12:38 PM

Where did you buy the OB for $560.00.

I was told it would be about $1500.00 for the OB and $1500.00 for a refundable deposit for the core for a total of $3000.00 if I was to do it myself. I to have the 70" XBR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgurton View Post

Bought the optical block for $560, and tore into my buetiful 70" sony to relplace the optical block. It took me 3-3.5 scarry hours to do it but I sucseeded. I took pictures of every step (and it is not simple), I basically had the guts of the set all out ove rmy carpet but the only thing you really need is a 10" LONGGG PHILLIPS HEAD, some common sences (take pictures as you go or just mark each connector as you disconnect them in order to get the $%$E%#%# block out, but just be gentle and take you time and you'll get there. I beleive my set may be amoung the most complicated to switch out blocks on... and I have about 25 photos showing practically every step. You definitly need some balls to do it but its really not that bad. If you can switch out a hard drive or power supply in a PC you can do this.... I'm not sure if I'll post all my pictures, but if there is enough interest I will.
PS I'm fileing a small claims case for the $560 I paid and I really believe I'l win based on all of the documents (from the sony website and others) documenting the defective optical block. I have boxed it up in the same packaging that the new one came in and I'm hoping to sell it to a rebiulder for $100-$200. The picture is great,,, much better color...just like new ...I forgot how wonderful these sets are when there new Take care and good luck.

post #27 of 62 Old 12-12-2008, 12:53 PM

toshiba needs to do the same thing sony has done, there are hundreds that I know of waiting, and waiting, and waiting for light engines...
post #28 of 62 Old 12-13-2008, 09:15 AM

Hooooray ... completed the optical block R&R this morning. Took about an hour and a half, benefitting somewhat from my earlier work a weekend or two ago taking the rear panel off and familiarizing myself with what would be required, awaiting the arrival of the replacement optical block.

Part of that time I also spent pulling the lamp fan. I figured while I was in there I'd do maintenance on it to improve its life (currently 6 years old) since this is somewhat of an achilles' heel of the unit ... learned this is a relatively easy task, improves noise and life, all from experiences I had building computers and with some problems I had with a TIVO directv receiver a couple years back.

There is a company that offered to repair it for a lot less $$ than new, but based on my review of the pros and cons, I just didn't get comfortable believing that repairing the block would be in our long term interest and didn't get comfortable with the company reputation or complaint record.

Anyway, recognize I have an older unit, KF-60XBR800, but there was plenty of room to work without having to remove any other components and the OB only had 5 connections, each unique and keyed to eliminate confusion. No special tools with the exception of a very long phillips head screwdriver, care, and organization taking pictures, notes and keeping track of the screws

Took lots of pictures and I'll write up an R&R summary, posting it in the GWII threads ... I'll come back here and post a link for anyone interested ... the concepts have to be very similar across models. I'll also include the procedure to extend the life of the lamp fan as well for those interested.

I highly recommend anyone who is entertaining the idea to R&R the OB themselves, to review the other summary out there (link appears in an early post here) as well as the one I will post soon. Then take the back off of your unit, and survey what you'd be getting into on your unit to assess your own comfort level performing this R&R.

More to come ...
post #29 of 62 Old 12-13-2008, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankVP View Post

I just received an email that Sony extended the warranty on the optical block until 2010.

Dear Valued Sony Customer,

Models: KDS-50A2000, KDS-55A2000, KDS-60A2000, KDS-R60XBR2, KDS-R70XBR2

As part of the Sony commitment to quality, Sony is announcing that it is extending the limited warranty (parts and labor), in the United States, on the optical block of the above-referenced 2006 model SXRD televisions until June 30, 2010, regardless of purchase date. For any customer who requires repair of the optical block on one of the affected models, Sony will cover the cost of the optical block repair (parts and labor) at no charge through June 30, 2010. This extended warranty does not apply to the replaceable projection lamp or the other parts that may be used in the televisions.

Sony is also announcing that for any owner of these model televisions who paid out-of-pocket expenses on or before December 31, 2008 for an estimate or repair service to replace the optical block, Sony will reimburse the customer by mail for the cost of the optical block and the labor expense to replace it, subject to certain conditions. To receive reimbursement, please follow completely the directions on the claim form for reimbursement; all claims must be postmarked by January 31, 2009. See the claim form for complete terms and conditions.

All other terms of the Sony limited warranty continue to apply. Sony utilizes a network of hundreds of qualified independent third-party servicers to perform in-home television warranty service. Sony, through its authorized servicer network, will endeavor to repair your set within 30 days of your first contact. For diagnosis, warranty service, or if you are not provided a repair within 30 days, please contact Sony at (888) 649-7669.

Sincerely,

Sony Electronics

I'll assume this will set a precedent for the A2020 as well, which so far there have been relatively few complaints about compared to the XBR1s, XBR2s, A2000s and Qualias (take a look at their owner's thread - its heating up in there).
post #30 of 62 Old 12-14-2008, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by crsanders View Post

Hooooray ... completed the optical block R&R this morning....Took lots of pictures and I'll write up an R&R summary, posting it in the GWII threads...

Thanks for the update--will look forward to your pics at some point!

Posting my thanks here (instead of the GWII thread) so I can find this one again later!
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page