Official Mitsubishi WD-XX734 Owner's Thread - Page 67 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1981 of 2005 Old 02-09-2012, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My TV is getting fixed tomorrow. Woo hoo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 2005 Old 02-11-2012, 01:55 PM

Mitsu sent out a repair tech who installed a new DLP chip. I agreed to pay the $225 labor, free part. This on a 73" set 2 weeks short of 4 years old.

Looks great. 8000 hours on the original bulb.
post #1983 of 2005 Old 02-13-2012, 11:53 AM

Just last post here to report on my TV.
My local authorized repair shop came to the house last Friday afternoon. Took out the LE. I asked him to vacuum it out good. He did. He took out the old DLP Chip and put in the new one. He showed me the old one. Hard to see anything on the chip. SOOO TINY. Interesting though. He put it all back together was was gone with in the the hour. He check the screen with us. NO DOTS. Were happy. For a $100 bucks. Well worth the call to MIT and the wait. Over all, took about 2-3 weeks. Thank you MIT.
post #1984 of 2005 Old 09-22-2012, 09:27 AM

i have a wd7657 and we have the bliking green light and the tv wont power on. i called mitsubishi and to my supirse they didnt know about this issue. as many stories i read on this issues i find that hard to beleive. it will cost me $58 dollars if i brought mt tv in and $99 if i have someone come out and look at it. because this is a common issues i decide to go at it myself. i purchase a lampart #915P061010 off Amazon for $40.29 and put it in but the light keeps blinking. i am fresh out of ideas. we also have the white dot which really doesnt bother me i just want my tv to power on... What else caould i do. this tv was giving to me not sure how long the previous owner had it for but should i invest in fixing or just buy a tv? Could i be the dlp board? thanks
post #1985 of 2005 Old 09-22-2012, 10:21 AM

I called Mitsubishi and gotten the same $225 service. They came and change the parts.
post #1986 of 2005 Old 09-22-2012, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tam2012 View Post

i have a wd7657 and we have the bliking green light and the tv wont power on. i called mitsubishi and to my supirse they didnt know about this issue. as many stories i read on this issues i find that hard to beleive. it will cost me $58 dollars if i brought mt tv in and $99 if i have someone come out and look at it. because this is a common issues i decide to go at it myself. i purchase a lampart #915P061010 off Amazon for $40.29 and put it in but the light keeps blinking. i am fresh out of ideas. we also have the white dot which really doesnt bother me i just want my tv to power on... What else caould i do. this tv was giving to me not sure how long the previous owner had it for but should i invest in fixing or just buy a tv? Could i be the dlp board? thanks

the two times i got blinking green light, they fixed by replacing the main board. However, in the past, Mitsubishi DLPs have also had blinking green light due to deteriorating capacitors and could sometimes be fixed by replacing those bulging caps. See the XX525/725 thread for more on that.
post #1987 of 2005 Old 11-15-2012, 08:41 AM

I have a opportunity to buy a WD-65734 for $150. Only problem is that it has the "white dots" of a bad dlp chip. I have looked around and watched all the youtube vids and am sure I could swap out the chip and can get the new chip for another ~$150. Does this sound like a good deal or should I keep looking and scrape some more money together for a newer set?

Thanks.
post #1988 of 2005 Old 02-27-2013, 11:00 AM

Hello all. Need some help. Have a WD-65734 made in mid-2007 we bought new Christmas 2007. We have the white dots on the screen, but as of yesterday, a much bigger problem in the TV will not turn on. The TV worked fine in the morning and then when my wife got home from work she went to turn it on for the kids and it wouldn't start / turn on. She thought it was the bulb. After I got home we changed the bulb, even though I told her the bulb didn't look blown. The TV still wouldn't come on. You can hear a clicking noise, like a relay switching on & off, but theTV will not start. The TV's green power light blinks rapidly for about 30 sedconds and then the red light comes on solid. You can hear the audio but absolutely no picture. I also have another spare bulb I got when the original bulb went out & a aftermarket bulb failed right away, so it was sent back to be upgraded to an OEM bulb. In the meantime another bulb was bought a closer shop (all of the bulbs are are original Osram's). We then tried the second spare bulb & the same thing happened. I tried pushing the system reset button on the front, but now the same thing happens and instead of audio we just hear static (probably because the there is no input selected).
post #1989 of 2005 Old 02-27-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS78 View Post

Hello all. Need some help. Have a WD-65734 made in mid-2007 we bought new Christmas 2007. We have the white dots on the screen, but as of yesterday, a much bigger problem in the TV will not turn on. The TV worked fine in the morning and then when my wife got home from work she went to turn it on for the kids and it wouldn't start / turn on. She thought it was the bulb. After I got home we changed the bulb, even though I told her the bulb didn't look blown. The TV still wouldn't come on. You can hear a clicking noise, like a relay switching on & off, but theTV will not start. The TV's green power light blinks rapidly for about 30 sedconds and then the red light comes on solid. You can hear the audio but absolutely no picture. I also have another spare bulb I got when the original bulb went out & a aftermarket bulb failed right away, so it was sent back to be upgraded to an OEM bulb. In the meantime another bulb was bought a closer shop (all of the bulbs are are original Osram's). We then tried the second spare bulb & the same thing happened. I tried pushing the system reset button on the front, but now the same thing happens and instead of audio we just hear static (probably because the there is no input selected).

does it look like the bulb turns on? just no picture on the tv? it could be the ballast and not the bulb.
I have the same TV and have taken apart just about everything and have replaced just about everything.
Just looked into some of my receipts and I replaced the lamp temp sensor for a no turn on situation.

Also there is a lamp door switch that needs to be activated before the bulb can turn on(i did this with a yellow led though).

do you have a solid red Lamp or Status LED?
post #1990 of 2005 Old 02-27-2013, 02:16 PM

Thanks Nivo855. I did figure out the LED door switch last night b/c I tried to restart the TV to check the bulb without replacing the door & the yellow LED did come on. Now with the DLP bulb access door on, after I plug it back in, the green LED flashes very rapidly multiple times, I can hear the clicking noise coming from the back, and then the red LED light comes on solid and stays on.
post #1991 of 2005 Old 03-01-2013, 09:48 AM

just sent you a PM
post #1992 of 2005 Old 06-19-2013, 04:50 AM

Does anyone have a copy of the firmware update for the WD-73734 available? I've added a Darbee to my system and I'm now getting the message about it being an AV device and not supported by Net Command. I tried the "Menu 1 2 3" trick to get into the service menu and disable Net Command but the only option available when I do that is to reset the TV back to factory defaults. My guess would be that I have to update my firmware to be able to disable Net Command? I've contacted Mitsubishi support looking for the firmware update but it seems I'm running in quicksand gong that route. Thanks!
post #1993 of 2005 Old 06-25-2013, 04:13 PM
GEP
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
My bet is there is no software update that adds an open menu feature you are asking for. My suggestions (works on my TV):
1. Disconnect your video processor.
2. Go into the TV INPUTS Menu and turn off that HDMI input (this will clear the input)
3. Connect a DVD player, cable box or satellite receiver to that HDMI input and go through the discovery process (don't bother nameing the input).
4. Now while watching the HDMI input try the MENU 123 route.
5. You can now connect the Video Processor to that HDMI input, but make sure that you turn of HDMI control in the porcessor's menu if possible.

My TV only shows the option of turning off the "NetCommand for HDMI" when looking at an HDMI input so if you are looking at componet, composite or antenna input when you go to the Reset Menu, the option to turn off NetCommand for HDMI does not appear.

That model of TV was when the HDMI CEC control feature was very new and the TV never supported the CEC feature for AVRs however the need for an easy HDMI Control Off Switch in conusmer menus was not yet established.
post #1994 of 2005 Old 11-11-2013, 07:45 AM

Well my second bulb now has 11,342 hours and time to replace. First original bulb had 14,000+.

First bulb was a Phillips, second a osram.

Where is the best place to go now for them since prices dropped tons over the years. My TV is a WD65734 from sept 2007.
post #1995 of 2005 Old 02-28-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivo885 View Post

Well my second bulb now has 11,342 hours and time to replace. First original bulb had 14,000+.

First bulb was a Phillips, second a osram.

Where is the best place to go now for them since prices dropped tons over the years. My TV is a WD65734 from sept 2007.
Ok guys just replaced my second bulb. It was not osram, it was from diversified electronics. I replaced it at 14,288 hours wednesday.

Bought another one from them. Tv is bright again.

So far last thing i had replaced was the DLP chip which I got for $162. I installed it myself.

I am so used to the set up inside the tv I can repair anything in it.
post #1996 of 2005 Old 03-21-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 49

Anyone Have Picture Problems after Mitsubishi DMD Chip Replacement? 

See this thread. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1523680/anyone-have-picture-problems-after-mitsubishi-dmd-chip-replacement

I apologize for cross-posting, but I need to find others with new chips.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1997 of 2005 Old 06-07-2014, 11:19 AM

Hey guys just found this site. Looking for some help. I have a wd-73734 that has the blinking green light of death problem. Does anyone have a picture of the motherboard? I believe its the yellowish orange board but want to make sure. Everything ive read says that this board should have 4-7 capacitors I however only see 3 simialr ones
post #1998 of 2005 Old 06-24-2014, 01:16 PM

On my WD-73734 my Format button (remote or on TV) no longer scrolls thru the screen sizes. How to I get that function back?

Thanks for any insights.
post #1999 of 2005 Old 07-14-2014, 09:47 AM

Is there a DLP chip replacement in my future?

I have a 65 inch that I rarely use, but because we have been remodeling the upstairs where the Panny is usually located, I have been using the DLP downstairs. I'm still on my first bulb.
A few days ago after some heavy use, I noticed specks or spots on the entire screen as the bulb was powering down in my dark den. It actually looks more like what you might see when a clear window is frosted/iced over with many shapes, specks and lines. When I used the television again the next day, I realized that this anomaly was noticeable in darker movie scenes or in areas where there was black color or dark shadows.
If I sit far enough away from it, I don't seen it readily when watching television. It is non-existent when bright colors are on the screen or when viewing the "no input" blue screen. I'm still not sure if it is the chip or if it is just a uniform dust or specks that has maybe burnt to the surface of the lens, lamp or screen itself.
I'm a little hesitant to call Mits and tell them it is a chip issue, if it is something else. So, I have been watching and waiting for the other shoe to drop, thinking I'll get the white spotting next. Then I'll know for sure.
Does this sound like something similar to what you guys plagued by the bad chip experienced, or is this something else? Thanks!
post #2000 of 2005 Old 07-16-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekro View Post
On my WD-73734 my Format button (remote or on TV) no longer scrolls thru the screen sizes. How to I get that function back?

Thanks for any insights.
I think that function is only applicable when you are displaying a non-widescreen HD Signal. If you are displaying a properly formatted signal, then the button won't do anything. (I'm writing this from memory since I'm not in front of my TV right now and don't have any non-HDMI HD sources hooked up anymore to test)
post #2001 of 2005 Old 07-16-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgfin View Post
I have a 65 inch that I rarely use, but because we have been remodeling the upstairs where the Panny is usually located, I have been using the DLP downstairs. I'm still on my first bulb.
A few days ago after some heavy use, I noticed specks or spots on the entire screen as the bulb was powering down in my dark den. It actually looks more like what you might see when a clear window is frosted/iced over with many shapes, specks and lines. When I used the television again the next day, I realized that this anomaly was noticeable in darker movie scenes or in areas where there was black color or dark shadows.
If I sit far enough away from it, I don't seen it readily when watching television. It is non-existent when bright colors are on the screen or when viewing the "no input" blue screen. I'm still not sure if it is the chip or if it is just a uniform dust or specks that has maybe burnt to the surface of the lens, lamp or screen itself.
I'm a little hesitant to call Mits and tell them it is a chip issue, if it is something else. So, I have been watching and waiting for the other shoe to drop, thinking I'll get the white spotting next. Then I'll know for sure.
Does this sound like something similar to what you guys plagued by the bad chip experienced, or is this something else? Thanks!
A picture of the problem would really help us understand what is going on. I had a bad DLP chip and it created clearly defined white dots scattered around the screen. That doesn't sound like what you describe. There may be something on your lens or mirror. If you open the site access port and shine a light inside, You should be a will to see surface of the lens and the mirror to see if there is something obvious. Maybe a spider has built web inside of your TV.
post #2002 of 2005 Old 07-22-2014, 06:50 AM

Collin, thanks for taking the time. I will try to get a picture up. Maybe it is a dirty issue. I did open up the port and looked around. Surprisingly, it is fairly clean in there, and there are no obvious obstructions or filth on the mirror or lens (a few dust particles on the large mirror). Whatever it is, it is uniform across the display when watching television, and darker scenes are like looking through a pixel haze or even a screen door (I hate using the old LCD jargon, but it does apply in this case). If the scene is bright enough to cut through, you can't see the problem at all. But, it is always there. Even when you power down, you can see it all over the screen. No area is worse or better than another.
I was hoping to rule out a chip failure developing, so I could go right to a local professional to have it cleaned as a possible remedy. If it is more of a chip issue, of course I'll want to contact Mits and have them call a service, so it will not cost me a bundle.

Last edited by Hawgfin; 07-22-2014 at 07:38 AM. Reason: spelling error
post #2003 of 2005 Old 07-29-2014, 06:46 PM

Finishing the thread

Just a quick message to let everyone know that it was indeed the chip. I called Mits, and they arranged for a technician to come out and replace the DMD chip for 200.00 out of pocket.
The technician did say that my case was a little bit different than what he usually sees (the white dots), but when he replaced the chip, the problem was gone. He said that the replacement chip they are using is better made and is intended to prevent the problem from ever happening again. He said the only thing I will ever need to do is replace the bulb on occasion. I'm not sure I buy all of that, but it was reassuring to hear. So it is definitely a manufacturing issue with the chips used in these televisions. He is also the second technician to tell me that he prefers a DLP over anything on the market today, in terms of ease of repair, reliability and overall picture quality.
old corps likes this.
post #2004 of 2005 Old 08-02-2014, 02:40 AM

Liked: 0
Going to run through the thread but just incase if anyone can help...Wd65734 with black screen and good sound, turns on solid green no blinking at all, code check comes up 12. Shuts off on its own about a minute or so later. Replaced the bulb almost two years ago, just gonna see if anything else possible on here before I order another. Bought in Jan 08. Just hoping to get another year or so before an upgrade.
post #2005 of 2005 Old 09-05-2014, 08:08 AM

I am on my 3rd bulb since 2007, I have had the DMD board replaced under warranty (had lines on the screen image), the light engine under warranty (i kept complaining about pinkish color on the edges of white images on the screen). Then my DLP chip gave out to white dots and I replaced it myself.

Aside from those few replacements, the TV has been working as it should.
I have just over 29,000 total hours on the TV. I have become used to dusting it off inside every 2 months, cleaning the mirror and optics.

DMD issue

Pinks in whites/edges issue

Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page