The "High Road" source for pre-release information about Sony's XBR5 models. - Page 38 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1111 of 1135 Old 12-29-2007, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Yep, that OLED TV has been available in Japan for quite some time now (oled's not really a new technology).

It took them about 3 years to get that 11" model done. In another 3-4 years, they'll have it up to a 60" model.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 1135 Old 12-29-2007, 10:44 PM

Liked: 10
Did your math wrong by the way. How are you going to get a 66" screen with 6 11" panels. Think. It won't work. The geometry and math is wrong.

Yes, and I busting some balls.

There's too much blood in my alcohol system...
post #1113 of 1135 Old 12-29-2007, 11:12 PM

You sir are correct. It would take 36 of those screens at 1,700 a pop=61,200
thats almost double the cost of the 70" LCD but gosh darnit i believe in Sony and I'm gonna make this happen no matter how many kidneys i have to sell no matter how many pints of blood i have to sell i will make this dream a reality. To be honest though sony must not have heard of the expression "If it ain't broke don't fix it."
post #1114 of 1135 Old 12-30-2007, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 196
The only thing Sony knows is if you can make a boat load more of money by selling much more poor picture quality displays just go for it!

They abandoned Plasma for poorer quality rear Projection LCD and sold tons of them. Remember when you actually had people around here that claimed that the poor black levels on them and screen door so bad that you could see through them didn't matter?

Now they're abandoning SXRD for poor performing LCD. The same people are now claiming that motion blur--lack of motion detail, poor viewing angles, and pathetic black level performance don't matter now either!

Course those same people doing that same type of posting have different names.

Must be a coincidence how poor quality displays that sell tons always have alot of self professed videophiles justifying them!

When are people going to learn that the Sony name doesn't mean endurance anymore?

Trinitron CRTs were great and lasted forever.

It wasn't the Picture Quality engineers that came up with the idea of the replaceable lamp rip off racket--the bean counters did that!

Now since they can't sell that racket anymore so they're switching to the Flat Panel LCD the picture quality sucks but at least it's flat racket!

In the future the next racket will be displays with Sony's name on them that aren't built by Sony workers but workers in Korea and China.

I predict people will buy into that racket too. I mean why buy anything with Samsung's name on it when you can have a "Genuine" Sony?
post #1115 of 1135 Old 12-30-2007, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I'm not to excited with flat panel lcd yet but if Sony can get LED LCD to have great blacks with no motion blurr i think they will be superior to plasma....Less noise, completley void of posterization and false contouring, no rainbow flashes, no burn in worry for gaming.
post #1116 of 1135 Old 12-30-2007, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zues View Post

I'm not to excited with flat panel lcd yet but if Sony can get LED LCD to have great blacks with no motion blurr i think they will be superior to plasma....Less noise, completley void of posterization and false contouring, no rainbow flashes, no burn in worry for gaming.

Don't forget about the need to eliminate clouding/flashlights. Will LED backlighting get rid of those?
post #1117 of 1135 Old 12-30-2007, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 196
If LED backlighting was really that great wouldn't you see it in a museum somewhere?
post #1118 of 1135 Old 01-01-2008, 11:29 AM

Happy New Year! It's a good time for my first post on the forums

I saw that slamduncan and Keith447 mentioned the Samsung HL-T7288 is almost impossible to find in the GTA. I actually found a floor model of the Samsung 72" DLP on display at the Brick in Mississauga (Ridgeway). It looked great, but it was running a different feed than all the smaller LCDs and plasmas around it, so I wasn't able to make a good comparison. It definitely didn't have the brightness of the smaller tvs, and pic quality of the Harry Potter clips seemed a little lower than I would have expected. However, the animated clips looked better than anything displayed on the smaller tvs. There was also a clip extolling the virtues of HDTV over standard definition, and it also looked amazing. I'm sure the tv would look phenomenal with the right calibration.

Since I don't have the patience to wait until 2008 tvs come out (probably around April for Canada at the earliest), I decided to pull the trigger. The tv is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow and the stand on saturday, so I'll post my impressions here and in the owner's thread.
post #1119 of 1135 Old 01-01-2008, 04:42 PM

lythari.. thanks for the info ! I look forward to hearing what you think and will make a trip out to the brick you mentioned when I make a decision.. I'm out of patience also (thanks sony) but am movingin Feb/March so can wait until then.. if nothing looks very promising from CES this tv is one of my 3 options.. please do follow up and post.. and CONGRATULATIONS !

slamduncan
post #1120 of 1135 Old 01-01-2008, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

We are all going to be watching CES closely in a week ...

Hopefully we can compile a short (probably VERY short) list of RPTVs that will exceed the current SXRD line, obviously from a different maker but..... I'm still looking (as are almost all you) for a 70" that is high quality.

I support High Definition Content regardless of color!
ISF Calibration is my friend, and should be yours too
Enjoying TrueHD, DTS:MA and LPCM
OAR - What else is there!?
post #1121 of 1135 Old 01-01-2008, 04:48 PM

I have not seen any mention of a 65" in the HL-TXX89S series - 50s, 61, and 72s but no 65s. Is it a size that is being ignored at the moment?
post #1122 of 1135 Old 01-01-2008, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Indeed. I am not a fan of single-chip DLP at all... I guess I would lean on a JVC D-ILA... Hopefully CES will show something in RPTV form factor that offers excellent 1080p, 120hz, and CableCARD.

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

post #1123 of 1135 Old 01-02-2008, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 109
While OLED Weenie TV from Sony is outrageously priced at the moment Sharp's new plant will be finished in less than two years building panel substrate sheets much larger than anything that exists today and enabling larger cuts and they invested over $300 million in Pioneer this summer to bring them along as partners on the OLED project.

Unfortunately we're two years away from that evolution to OLED and at larger HT sizes but Sharp is the only LCD FP builder making an affordable 65" panels that Olevia and NuVision is rebadging.

Adding Pioneer is genious to get best of class VP makes sense and as a trade-off Pio will have it's own versions and may enter LCD also in the interim. Too bad they can't auction off LCOS - I still say Samsung could make it profitable. Perhaps someday it may come full circle in a different format.

Just speculating as the High Road has seemed to reach a DEAD END!

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #1124 of 1135 Old 01-04-2008, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Why is Sony taking so long to release the RPTV 70XBR5's?
post #1125 of 1135 Old 01-04-2008, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinomon View Post

Why is Sony taking so long to release the RPTV 70XBR5's?

Have you not read this thread and other threads such as this...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=958064
post #1126 of 1135 Old 01-04-2008, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh boy... I wonder what viable options we have in terms of 70" RPTVs that are somewhat affordable (less than 6000-7000) and match or surpass the quality of the doomed 70XBR5..

I'm waiting for CES to see, but I guess its all up in the air since I have no idea what they have planned.

post #1127 of 1135 Old 01-04-2008, 05:25 PM

So as mentioned in my earlier post, I too was out of patience and went ahead and tracked down one of the few remaining new Sony 70XBR2. It arrived a few days ago and the picture is excellent! I certainly would've preferred the slimness of the XBR5 (and the fact that it has less silver on it), but oh well. I'm thinking of removing the "elephant ear" speakers to give it a cooler look- any opinions out there on doing so? I don't always like to turn on my surround sound, so that would be one trade off.

Now here's the kicker- I bought the TV at Frys a week ago for $3799 (plus the stand, which was $299). Three days later and it was now $3599! Frys offers 30 day price protection, so they adjusted the price, and credited the difference back to me.

Sure, I'm bummed that the 70XBR5 is not coming out, but for $3900 including the stand, the 70XBR2 is a hell of a deal (and almost half the price of what the XBR5 would have cost). Furthermore, Sony Financing offers both an 18 month no payment/no interest plan, OR a 24 month minimum payment/no interest plan. Put the money in an interest earning CD for that time and you can effectively reduce your purchase price by a few hundred dollars more! So I guess I'll put up with the increased depth (my biggest attraction to the newer model was that it was 8-10" slimmer) and the lack of 120hz (which I think really looks cool, but I'm still not certain that I would want to watch a whole movie that way). Then again, I don't believe that the newer model had a cable card slot, so I did gain that!

Happy New Year all!
post #1128 of 1135 Old 01-06-2008, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

What about Laser TVs? We know that Mits, Sony and Samsung are going to have models..... possible Sony is going to have one at a decent time for this year? I'm interested in Laser RPTV...... supposed to be cheap too right?

post #1129 of 1135 Old 01-06-2008, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Laser SXRD would be quite attractive to me, though I don't have any beefs with UHP, either. I much prefer it to the complete consumability of plasma, for example.

It still really baffles me that Sony is going to abandon the 70" market. Even if the margins are smaller, it's still gotta be better than zero. I was looking at the Mitsu Diamond with a bad taste in my mouth... maybe I will get one of the few 70XBR2 left at Frys. I really wanted 120hz, etc as the XBR2 doesn't seem to offer enough over the XBR1 except the 70" part. And 70XBR2 still has CableCARD... maybe I've convinced myself.

Still... R&D on the XBR5 SXRD was already done. They even have the manual done. Who knows how many were already printed... couldn't do a low volume production on it? Baka!

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

post #1130 of 1135 Old 01-08-2008, 06:07 PM

I cannot see it on Fry's website. Did you buy a new one or the demo model and was it from a store. I cannot seem to find one to buy.
post #1131 of 1135 Old 01-08-2008, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFLEX View Post

What about Laser TVs? We know that Mits, Sony and Samsung are going to have models..... possible Sony is going to have one at a decent time for this year? I'm interested in Laser RPTV...... supposed to be cheap too right?

Mits said they'd be available by Thanksgiving.

I can't wait that long (was supposed to have a new TV by last Thanksgiving).

post #1132 of 1135 Old 01-11-2008, 10:45 PM

It's not on their site- you'll need to call around. I bought it new.
post #1133 of 1135 Old 01-12-2008, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFLEX View Post

We are all going to be watching CES closely in a week ...

Hopefully we can compile a short (probably VERY short) list of RPTVs that will exceed the current SXRD line, obviously from a different maker but..... I'm still looking (as are almost all you) for a 70" that is high quality.

great. i am building a house and therefore a new ht room. i had my tv cabinet built for the new 70 in sony xbr5 rear projection tv. now they quit making it. please give me some thoughts on a great pic quality 70 in tv!!! help!
post #1134 of 1135 Old 01-12-2008, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Why wouldn't you go FP if building a new home with a HT?? If you stick a TV in it, it's just an entertainment room.

Anyway, there aren't many options for 70". There's the 70" Sony LCD ($30,000), the 73" Mitsubishi line ($2500 - $4000), the 70" LG Plasma ($12,000), The Sony 70" XBR2 ($4500 - if they can be found. There's none in Dallas, for example, but saw one in Houston last week), 70" JVC (at Costco), Samsung 72" DLP ($3500).

post #1135 of 1135 Old 01-12-2008, 09:38 AM

my room is in the basement and it is just built with a set back in the front center and i have space to walk behind the tv and equipment. therefore i don't need the cost of a flat panel. just looking for a great picture
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page