The "High Road" source for pre-release information about Sony's A3000 models. - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 347 Old 08-11-2007, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nice price. So is the screen glass?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 347 Old 08-11-2007, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I love new TV day. So much fun!
post #303 of 347 Old 08-11-2007, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by insly View Post

Here is some "proof" actual pics of the set will be in a few hours after I return the truck and do some moving around.

I so hope waiting for this over the A2020 was worth it.

insly, you sir have the privilege of starting the new KDS-xxA3000 owners thread. Have at it!

Robert
post #304 of 347 Old 08-11-2007, 03:00 PM

Quote:

Stoked - All I have to say if you are the MAN! 12 pack on me if you're ever in the DFW area. I've got the set here, BB did honor the 12% and it only took them about 10 minutes to do it. :O

Here is some "proof" actual pics of the set will be in a few hours after I return the truck and do some moving around.

Congrat's again and get that owners thread started up. Oh I know why you aren't doing that..... your enjoying your NEW TV LOL
post #305 of 347 Old 08-11-2007, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
You need to hurry up and tell us how the picture is!! :P What TV did you have before this one? And does it really have TrueCinema 24p?
post #306 of 347 Old 08-11-2007, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Congrats insly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valnar View Post

insly, you sir have the privilege of starting the new KDS-xxA3000 owners thread. Have at it!

Just keep in mind that the privilege of starting the owners thread tradtionally carries with it the responibility of keeping the first post updated...
post #307 of 347 Old 08-11-2007, 03:13 PM

I had the 65731 and the 65733. I sold the 65731 to my brother and returned the 733, had some smudges and just wasn't impressed. I just got back from returning the truck and picking up some stuff from home depot.
post #308 of 347 Old 08-11-2007, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Stoked - All I have to say if you are the MAN! 12 pack on me if you're ever in the DFW area. I've got the set here, BB did honor the 12% and it only took them about 10 minutes to do it. :O

insly, MAJOR congrats! Looking forward to some pics once you've got it out of the box and set up.

Panasonic PT-AX200U

Da-Lite Model B 106" HCMW
Sony KDS-60A3000

VIP 3D Theater Plus Converter w/ MonsterVision Max 3D Eyewear
Onkyo TX-SR805 (v1.08 w/DSP & HDMI Updates)
Oppo BDP-103
Sony PS3 Slim (v4.50)
Toshiba HD-A35 (v4.0)
Polk Audio RTi8 / CSi5 / FXi3
Boston 595x Subwoofers

My DVD Collection

post #309 of 347 Old 08-11-2007, 04:19 PM

post #310 of 347 Old 08-12-2007, 11:48 AM

A3000 vs E3000?.......At first glance, especially to a newbie, the specs looks similar. Is there really something that makes the A-model worth $500 more??
post #311 of 347 Old 08-12-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squire View Post

A3000 vs E3000?.......At first glance, especially to a newbie, the specs looks similar. Is there really something that makes the A-model worth $500 more??

First is the exterior design WAY different

Then this is on the A not the E
MotionFlow (120hz/black insertion)
SXRD Technology
and quite a few other things

this is right from Sony, and compare the two
http://www.sonystyle.com

If you are into HD then I'd say just from the one person who has one Get the A3000.

Look at an A 2020 or E2000 and you can "see" a diference in the PQ
post #312 of 347 Old 08-13-2007, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesns69 View Post

The XXA3000 does do 24p True Cinema that is a moot point. This was also answered by Sony in an email, but I didn't post it or keep it. Even though it's been ran in the ground over and over. As far as deep color and color bit-rate, this is the answer I got from Sony for my deep color and bit-rate question. It's vague because they always are until it's officially released. Here's the quote:

"In regard to your inquiry, sony is not publishing in our specs at the moment the color-bit. I can tell you though the xvYCC is the format for deep color.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thank you for choosing Sony Style!
Sunshine
Sony Direct Customer Care"

i have been trying to find this out for months: if either the A3000 or the XBR5 is 10 bit deep color. I see that the only place that Deep Color is mentioned is in the short description paragraph of the XBR5 on Sony styles website, when it talks about using all HDMI 1.3 functions. I have heard something about the XBR5 engine possiblly doing 14bit, but i cant find any evidence anywhere on the net to support this.

i did also notice this on amazon.com "Two new color technologies have been added to A-Series. x.v.Color, greatly broadens the color space input capabilities. Enjoy the capability of 1.8 times as many natural colors as existing HDTV signals have. Deep Color input capability works with the 10-bit processor. It delivers 64 times the level of color expression versus 8-bit systems. " but im not sure where they are gettign there info from. ill e-mail them

On the other hand, i was just in the Sony styles store in san fran and i noticed a sticker on the new LCDS that have been released. They say " 64x color, 10bit deep color"

so im wondering if 10 bit and deep color will only be used in there LCDS cause of a brighter more power light engine maybe or some other reason?
post #313 of 347 Old 08-13-2007, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm pretty sure that the A3000 series has to be 10 bit. I heard from a few people that for an HDTV to support xvYCC, a form of "Deep color" or even Sony's own x.v. Color, that it has to be at least 10 bit. In the future though it's going to go even further. This is just the start, but I wouldn't be too worried about "Deep color" for now because there isn't really anything available yet except HD camcorders with x.v. Color. Here's a link that helped me understand it a little more.

http://www.abccables.com/info-deep-color.html
post #314 of 347 Old 08-13-2007, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm pretty sure that the A3000 series has to be 10 bit. I heard from a few people that for an HDTV to support xvYCC, a form of "Deep color" or even Sony's own x.v. Color, that it has to be at least 10 bit. In the future though it's going to go even further. This is just the start, but I wouldn't be too worried about "Deep color" for now because there isn't really anything available yet except HD camcorders with x.v. Color. Here's a link that helped me understand it a little more.

and there comcorders are xv color. not deep color. Blu ray movies and PS3 games will prolly be 10bit deep color some time in 2008. its very easy to do, film transfer machines are already enabled to capture at 10 bit and higher.

i think your gettign mixed up with Deep Color and XVYCC ( sony just made the name more consumer friendly and changed it to x.v color). Deep Color has nothign to do with x.v color. Deep Color defines the color bit with in RGB color space. x.v.color is a totally new color space. Any way, im just not sure why they arent advertising that the A3000 as 10bit Deep Color then, since they are doing it for all there LCDS.
post #315 of 347 Old 08-13-2007, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Guys, I have a Sony Xbr1 and love the set. I had it fixed recently (ob) and now it's like new with a new bulb to boot. Anyway, the new JVC sets are catching my eye. The depth is around 11" with the fan and input on the sides so you can put it up against the wall. I recently viewed one at 6th ave., in Commack, and was impressed with the picture. A a2020 SXRD was right next to it and after 10 minutes I couldn't tell the difference between each set. I believe the JVC had fire wire too. I would prefer the Sony (love all teh menu tweaks) but the depth of the JVC would fit so well in my cabinet. I didn't see any convergence problems but I also didn't see any tickers, etc. being displayed. I know this is a bit off topic but I was wondering if anyone here is givng the new JVC sets any consideration? Oh yeah the other thing that caught my eye is that they are coming out with a 65" thin set so I would also gain another 5" and it would fit better in my cabinet.
post #316 of 347 Old 08-14-2007, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevfx View Post

i think your gettign mixed up with Deep Color and XVYCC ( sony just made the name more consumer friendly and changed it to x.v color). Deep Color has nothign to do with x.v color. Deep Color defines the color bit with in RGB color space. x.v.color is a totally new color space. Any way, im just not sure why they arent advertising that the A3000 as 10bit Deep Color then, since they are doing it for all there LCDS.

I don't think you understand what Steve is saying. TVs process and display video as RGB. x.v.color will be converted to RGB for processing and displaying. x.v.color has a wider color gamut than can be represented by 8-bit RGB. In order for the set to take advantage of x.v.color, it has to internally process and display RGB at greater than 8-bit RGB color depth, i.e. Deep Color.
post #317 of 347 Old 08-14-2007, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeGuy View Post

Guys, I have a Sony Xbr1 and love the set. I had it fixed recently (ob) and now it's like new with a new bulb to boot. Anyway, the new JVC sets are catching my eye. The depth is around 11" with the fan and input on the sides so you can put it up against the wall. I recently viewed one at 6th ave., in Commack, and was impressed with the picture. A a2020 SXRD was right next to it and after 10 minutes I couldn't tell the difference between each set. I believe the JVC had fire wire too. I would prefer the Sony (love all teh menu tweaks) but the depth of the JVC would fit so well in my cabinet. I didn't see any convergence problems but I also didn't see any tickers, etc. being displayed. I know this is a bit off topic but I was wondering if anyone here is givng the new JVC sets any consideration? Oh yeah the other thing that caught my eye is that they are coming out with a 65" thin set so I would also gain another 5" and it would fit better in my cabinet.

I think there has been some concern that the slim design of the JVC leads to some picture distortion. It is hoped that the new SXRDs will avoid this problem.

In the new A3000 owner thread some are even asking the poor first owner to press his screen and twist his edges to see if the picture distorts. All in the name of community service.
post #318 of 347 Old 08-14-2007, 08:23 AM

Quote:

What about these Toshiba HD DVD players due out in two months?

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9755359-1.html
post #319 of 347 Old 08-14-2007, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

HD-DVD and Blu-ray are both limited to 8-bit color, period.
post #320 of 347 Old 08-14-2007, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highheater View Post

I think there has been some concern that the slim design of the JVC leads to some picture distortion. It is hoped that the new SXRDs will avoid this problem.

In the new A3000 owner thread some are even asking the poor first owner to press his screen and twist his edges to see if the picture distorts. All in the name of community service.

The Samsung HL-TXX76 is also having the same issue...likely for a similar reason. Reduction in depth increases the chance of geometry issues with the reflection angles. I have a HL-T6189 and because the depth is only slightly less than last year's HL-S series there aren't any visible geometry issues. Maybe Sony found a different approach to try. Granted, not all JVCs or Samsung slim cabinets have the geometry issues, but there are enough complaints that isn't just a "few." I'm interested because I'm on my 4th Samsung...starting with an HL-S over a year ago, and if my current TV breaks I'm going after Samsung for a refund and going Sony. I had a XBR1 for a week and the green blob issue was just too much. It looks like they fixed that though. So far my Samsung is great and the LED light engine has more pros than cons, but I keep my eyes open for potential replacements and the Sony is now the top.
post #321 of 347 Old 08-14-2007, 12:21 PM

Given the construction of the Samsung sets, it's almost a fair statement at this point to say that ALL sets have geometry problems. It may not appear that way to the person right now, but if that set is ever touched, it's likely to appear. But that's for another thread. I'm only concerned now if the A3000 suffers a similiar fate, and early reports seem good. Likewise, unlike the other manufacturers, the spec'ed weight of the A3000 is very close to that of it's predecessors. A good sign, imo.
post #322 of 347 Old 08-14-2007, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post

I don't think you understand what Steve is saying. TVs process and display video as RGB. x.v.color will be converted to RGB for processing and displaying. x.v.color has a wider color gamut than can be represented by 8-bit RGB. In order for the set to take advantage of x.v.color, it has to internally process and display RGB at greater than 8-bit RGB color depth, i.e. Deep Color.

xv color is not getting converted to RGB. that would totally defeat the puprose of it. it is just a totally new Color Gamut and new standard. 8 bit xv color and 10 bit rgb are two totally different things. THere is no where that says xv color is higher then 8 bit.
post #323 of 347 Old 08-14-2007, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:

xv color is not getting converted to RGB. that would totally defeat the puprose of it. it is just a totally new Color Gamut and new standard. 8 bit xv color and 10 bit rgb are two totally different things. THere is no where that says xv color is higher then 8 bit.

If your referencing 10 Bit processing vs. 8 bit - 10 bit in fact quadruples the levels "steps" of gray = greater shadow details and color display. It seems it's tough to determine within the Bravia processing what level it is. I'd thought HDMI 1.3 is what carries xv color though or enables the transport to the panel. I'm not worried about this area since I've yet to see any panel equal or beat the SXRD with shadow details and confident this next gen has taken it a step further.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #324 of 347 Old 08-15-2007, 07:38 AM

Quote:

It has to be converted to RGB. That is how TV displays work. There are THREE SXRD chips. One for Red, one for Green and one for Blue ---> RGB.
post #325 of 347 Old 08-15-2007, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Interesting news here...

I just called Amazon about their specs on the A3000 which says " Uses Deep Color with the TVs 10bit processor" I asked him where they got this info from since it does not say the A3000 uses 10bit deep color on Sonys website ( only the XBR5 does and their LCDs) he said he would call there Sources ( im guessing Sony) to make sure they didnt make a mistake when labeling the A3000. He called me back at the end of the day and said he confirmed with their Sources that the A3000 is 10 bit deep color.

This is interesting, cause if its true the only difference between the XBR5 and the A3000 is its looks, its slimmer and the DRC version. This info might sway my descision towards the A3000 if its true.
post #326 of 347 Old 08-15-2007, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Other than small picture improvemets (brighter bulb maybe?) and possibly other minor features, there never is much difference between Sony's regular sets and their "XBR" besides the ones you mentioned.

Although in this case, the XBR has a CableCard slot and the A3000s do not.
post #327 of 347 Old 08-15-2007, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
And PIP (twin view) which is basically a must in my house.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #328 of 347 Old 08-15-2007, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Interesting news here...

I just called Amazon about their specs on the A3000 which says " Uses Deep Color with the TVs 10bit processor" I asked him where they got this info from since it does not say the A3000 uses 10bit deep color on Sonys website ( only the XBR5 does and their LCDs) he said he would call there Sources ( im guessing Sony) to make sure they didnt make a mistake when labeling the A3000. He called me back at the end of the day and said he confirmed with their Sources that the A3000 is 10 bit deep color.

This is interesting, cause if its true the only difference between the XBR5 and the A3000 is its looks, its slimmer and the DRC version. This info might sway my descision towards the A3000 if its true.

I've been saying that for some time because there has been plenty of information available saying that the A3000 series has 10-bit color, "Deep color", and 1080p/24. However, every time I bring it up or defend it, I'm shot down immediately. Just because a PDF or brochure says that, "specifications are subject to change", it doesn't mean they will. That's just crap their legal department makes them say. As for the DRC, I pretty sure that is only used for 480i sources anyway. That's the way my current TV works and it also says it in the A3000 owner's manual. I have been saying all along that the A3000 is the better deal, but if you like the look of it and have unlimited funds, then buy the XBR5. The way I figure it though the price difference paid for my new receiver and some new HD movies. It's nice to finally hear this from another source other than a PDF file though. Thanks for the info!!
post #329 of 347 Old 08-15-2007, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

And PIP (twin view) which is basically a must in my house.

Can it do 2-HD source PIP? I loved using PIP on my current TV back when half the stuff I watched was in SD, but it can only do PIP with 1 HD source and then the other has to be SD, so I don't use it at all any more.

Anyway, the XBR5 also has that super looking "flat panel mount" type stand, I'm sure that feature will sell many of them alone.
post #330 of 347 Old 08-15-2007, 12:22 PM

Quote:

I've been saying that for some time because there has been plenty of information available saying that the A3000 series has 10-bit color, "Deep color", and 1080p/24. However, every time I bring it up or defend it, I'm shot down immediately. Just because a PDF or brochure says that, "specifications are subject to change", it doesn't mean they will. That's just crap their legal department makes them say. As for the DRC, I pretty sure that is only used for 480i sources anyway. That's the way my current TV works and it also says it in the A3000 owner's manual. I have been saying all along that the A3000 is the better deal, but if you like the look of it and have unlimited funds, then buy the XBR5. The way I figure it though the price difference paid for my new receiver and some new HD movies. It's nice to finally hear this from another source other than a PDF file though. Thanks for the info!!

What about the absence of 24P True Cinema listed for the A3000s?
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page