highspeed bulb flicker on A2000. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-04-2007, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've had my A2000 since april, just past month the tv started acting up. After the tv would be on for a few hours the bulb would start flickering at high speeds, kinda like a florescent light going bad. When the tv would be off for awhile this would go away and come back again in a few hours.
Anyone one have a similiar problem??? do i have a bad bulb or is this something more serious??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2007, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
bump
Old 10-13-2007, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Goatse,

What was the outcome of your flicker issue? Was it a bulb issue, or something that needed to be repaired (hopefully under warranty). My 50A2000 has developed the same problem (its about 10 months old) and I'm curious to see what your diagnosis was.

BTW, anyone else have this problem with their SXRD?
Old 10-16-2007, 05:27 AM

I have an 60XBR1 SXRD and have the same issue, just noticed it as a problem. I just thought I was seeing things until I put on my dvd player without dvd and only grey splash screen. This is my third problem, first was the HDMI board went bad, second was a board they replaced when they could not figure out the first problem, and finally this. So when does the lemon juice start to flow???

I called the repair wont come out till 17oct.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I thought my A2000 was flashing. The feedback I got here was to try a manual iris instead of auto iris. That seemed to somewhat help.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:38 PM

I am having the same problem, I still have to call Sony. Hopefully they can repair or replace this TV
Old 10-23-2007, 01:20 PM

Boostfed -- How did you make out with Sony? Repair/replace? What was the problem?
Old 10-24-2007, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTwaltham View Post

Boostfed -- How did you make out with Sony? Repair/replace? What was the problem?

It is 3:17PM right now and I am patiently waiting for Audio/Video Service Labs Tech to get here to check my TV out.

I called Sony and unfortunately as I predited the first tier service ep was completely lost on everything, he said my Warranty was expired THOUGH I had a letter from Sony stating it was good until November 2nd PLUS I already paid for the 3 year extended warranty from them too, anyways I get transferred to Customer Relations and they told me to call my Authorized Service center here... so now I am waiting.

I will post in a few after Brian leaves(same tech been out to my house twice on my previous XBR1 and once on a Hitachi RPTV) Will report back like I said
Old 10-24-2007, 02:00 PM

OK Tech just left, they are gonna order me a new lamp/bulb and swap that out first to see if it resolves the issue. I asked if it could be the Iris and it could be which he states requires changing the optical block. Hopefully the bulb works, we shall see. I have 4053 hours on the bulb now
Old 10-26-2007, 07:01 AM

Thanks for the update Boostfed -- pls let us know how it turns out. The tech is coming to look at my A2000 next week, I'll let you know how that goes as well. Thanks.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:59 PM

To close the loop on this thread -- the Sony tech replaced the lamp on Friday and the problem is gone.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTwaltham View Post

To close the loop on this thread -- the Sony tech replaced the lamp on Friday and the problem is gone.

Yes my tech also replaced my bulb on Monday of this week, I have probably watched the least amount of TV this week than in the last 2 years since I have been sooo busy. I haven't seen any flickering yet BUT i also hadn't seen it much right before the bulb replacement, I have been playing with a lot of the settings lately too. But so far so good for me too
Old 11-26-2007, 04:14 PM

I got flicker on my KDS50A2000...looks like a strobe light!
Crap...
Old 11-27-2007, 11:53 AM

Funny, I actually posted this exact issue on the A2000 Owners thread:

http://avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthrea...1#post12287105

The really funny part is I described the flickering EXACTLY like you did....sort of like a fluorescent light going out.

Just received my new bulb today and installed it. Hopefully it fixes mine as it did yours!
Old 11-27-2007, 05:35 PM

Please post the # of hours on the bulb before it starts to flicker so we can have a reference point.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:29 AM

Well, I forgot to check the hours before I replaced the bulb, but the TV is one year old this month and probably gets used 12 hours a day (yeah, we watch a lot of TV around here).

Started the flickering about 3 months ago, but only did it probably once a week and was easily remedied by turning the TV off and back on.

Thanksgiving morning, it just started flickering constantly and turning the TV off and back on would only fix it for an hour or so.

Well, day two with the new bulb and besides forgetting what a great picture this TV has (wow, what a difference with a new bulb), no signs of flickering *fingers crossed*.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:41 PM

I've seen mine flicker a few times. Powering down for a minute seemed to help (it'd flicker a little while warming back up, but then stop). Saw it a couple of times a week ago, but nothing since then.

Good to know it seems to just be a bulb problem, in case it comes back.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:15 AM

Has replacing the bulb fixed everyone's flicker issue? My 50 inch A2000 has recently started doing this. I have the repair guy coming tomorrow, but if its just a bulb issue, I'll fix it myself. I'm pretty sure the bulb is covered by the 1 year warranty too.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes13 View Post

Has replacing the bulb fixed everyone's flicker issue? My 50 inch A2000 has recently started doing this. I have the repair guy coming tomorrow, but if its just a bulb issue, I'll fix it myself. I'm pretty sure the bulb is covered by the 1 year warranty too.

Mine was fixed with the bulb replacement
Old 02-04-2008, 04:47 PM

Thanks for the reply. I have a tech coming tomorrow, and we're going to replace the bulb, and hopefully that fixes it. A person at Sony told me that the bulb that is shipped with the TV is a cheaper bulb to keep the initial cost down. Don't know if that's true or not, but if it is, maybe that's why the problems with this have happened.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:15 AM

Got the lamp replaced in mine, and the problem is gone.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes13 View Post

Got the lamp replaced in mine, and the problem is gone.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:47 PM

Sry to bring up a dead post, but I just noticed this on my 60a2000 about a month ago at about 6000 hours, it has almost 7000 hours on it now.
Guess the bulb is getting old.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccombs View Post

Well, I forgot to check the hours before I replaced the bulb, but the TV is one year old this month and probably gets used 12 hours a day (yeah, we watch a lot of TV around here).

Started the flickering about 3 months ago, but only did it probably once a week and was easily remedied by turning the TV off and back on.

Thanksgiving morning, it just started flickering constantly and turning the TV off and back on would only fix it for an hour or so.

Well, day two with the new bulb and besides forgetting what a great picture this TV has (wow, what a difference with a new bulb), no signs of flickering *fingers crossed*.

Well, all of four months later and the flicker has returned.

I honestly cant afford to replace these bulbs at 250$ a pop every four months.

I am hoping it was just an odd occurrence, as it only lasted about 5 seconds. but when it first started doing it last year, it started like this as well. Just 5 or so seconds of flickering every week or two and then eventually it was a daily thing.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:02 PM

On my A3000 set, I had flickering on scenes that were dominated by white (often commercials). I think I had to turn off motion enhancer. In fact, when I set motion enhancer to "none", the description read something like "select this setting if you see your screen flicker".

I would try to turn all processing off and see if that helps.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccombs View Post

Well, all of four months later and the flicker has returned.

I honestly cant afford to replace these bulbs at 250$ a pop every four months.

I am hoping it was just an odd occurrence, as it only lasted about 5 seconds. but when it first started doing it last year, it started like this as well. Just 5 or so seconds of flickering every week or two and then eventually it was a daily thing.

You may want to look into replacing your power supply if in fact your lamp is ok. You may have a leaky capacitor that may cause the high speed flickering. But if replacing your lamp the first time solved your problem then it could be your lamp. Did you use OEM or an off brand like LTI as the replacement?
Old 04-10-2008, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iove View Post

You may want to look into replacing your power supply if in fact your lamp is ok. You may have a leaky capacitor that may cause the high speed flickering. But if replacing your lamp the first time solved your problem then it could be your lamp. Did you use OEM or an off brand like LTI as the replacement?

I ordered a genuine Sony replacement.

You could be on to something with the power supply. I just cant fathom how a third bulb would be needed after only 17 months.

I am of the mindset anything can happen once. So will see if it becomes an issue and if it does, I DID purchase the extended warranty from Sony (of course bulbs aren't covered) and I would call them out and mention the power supply.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:06 AM

Well, the flickering is actually worse than it was last November.

Last November the TV usually had to be on a while before it would flicker and then once I turned the TV off and back on again, usually it wouldn't flicker for the rest of the day (until the very last days before I replaced the bulb anyways).

Now its flickering all of 20 minutes after turning it on and doing so about every 2-3 hours.

Odd fix I have found for it other than powering off and then back on, is going and changing the power saver feature from on to off.

I thought maybe that was the issue, so I kept the power saver on "off" and turned my iris down a bit (picture was a bit too bright). But, within 5 minutes the flickering started again. Turning the power saver back to on, stopped the flicker (for now).

Guess I will be calling Sony to come out and put a new bulb in. So that will be another 250$. Sigh....500$ for bulbs after a whopping 17 months. Not a happy Sony customer here.

Sorry for the long winded post, but want people who have this issue in the future to have some sort of reference for their problem.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:20 AM

I swear, I must have a defective TV.

Here it is 8 months after I replaced the bulb (AGAIN) and the I just saw some flicker.

This is beyond ridiculous. This will be the FOURTH bulb in 26 months.

I will NEVER EVER buy another TV that has a bulb in it.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
If you've done so many replacements how come you've not kept records of how many hours for each? Seems to me that would be an important piece of information, especially in your casw with so many bulb replacements.

My A2020 has been exhibiting some flickering for about 6 months now. But, its inconsistent. Sometimes there is flicker, sometimes not. I've always had it in power savings mode. IIRC it started happening when the TV was about a year old and around 3000 hours. It now has 4500 hours.