Trying to decide: Mits WD-Y65 or Sony 56a2020 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-26-2007, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Both of these sets are selling for the same price at C.C., I like the extra size of the Mits, but the fleshtones were a little on the orange side and the picture was a little dimmer than the Sony. Both sets were running on an H.D. loop. Can the fleshtones on the Mits be adjusted to look as good as the Sony? I realize all these sets have their strengths and weaknesses, but are their any glaring problems on eithier i should be aware of? I will be using a SA 8300 cablebox and I watch mostly sports and movies. Any input would much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-26-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzy1000 View Post

Both of these sets are selling for the same price at C.C., I like the extra size of the Mits, but the fleshtones were a little on the orange side and the picture was a little dimmer than the Sony. Both sets were running on an H.D. loop. Can the fleshtones on the Mits be adjusted to look as good as the Sony? I realize all these sets have their strengths and weaknesses, but are their any glaring problems on eithier i should be aware of? I will be using a SA 8300 cablebox and I watch mostly sports and movies. Any input would much appreciated.

Since this is your first post, I'm just going to assume that you don't know about rainbow effect. This bothers some people. If you are sensitive to CRT flicker at 60 Hz, you might want to avoid the Mits. I had a Samsung DLP for 10 months, but after replacing the engine 4 times (all had minor imperfections), I'm going with a Sony KDS-A552020. The DLPs are sharp, but they give me too much eye fatigue, especially in a dark room. Also, DLPs have a color wheel spinning around 14,000 RPM similar to a hard drive, and the bearings can fail, or start making noise over time.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-26-2007, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzy1000 View Post

Both sets were in "torch mode". Mitsubishi's are usually better known for their color accuracy after calibration. Both sets need to be toned down at home. You can check all the various threads for problems with the respective models. I own a Mitsubishi that I like. I won't comment on the Sony, since I don't know.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-26-2007, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwgamer View Post

Since this is your first post, I'm just going to assume that you don't know about rainbow effect. This bothers some people. If you are sensitive to CRT flicker at 60 Hz, you might want to avoid the Mits. -----

The DLPs are sharp, but they give me too much eye fatigue, especially in a dark room. Also, DLPs have a color wheel spinning around 14,000 RPM similar to a hard drive, and the bearings can fail, or start making noise over time.

What he said.

Robert
post #5 of 7 Old 07-26-2007, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick responses. My friend has a 56" Mits he bought last Nov., a 720p. I watch that once in a while and never noticed any rainbows. These threads can be a little overwhelming for a guy whose last set was bought in 2001, a first gen. 36" Sony HD. My aging eyes need a bigger picture so the sony goes to the bedroom. This is a major purchase for me, it took a year to save for this and I hope to get at least 5 years of use from it.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-26-2007, 03:47 PM

fizzy 1000,

I have looked long and hard at both and there is better picture control with the sony, and the big problem with the WD-Y65 is that you can NOT turn off Sharp Edge. On fast moving images i.e. sports, etc. with Sharp Edge on the image will tear at times. With Sharp Edge off...no problems with the image. Do a search on the WD-XX831 thread for more information. If you like the Mits, go look at the WD-65732 or WD-65831 for better picture control. Both models can be found on closeout at Fry's, and look at this years WD-65734, it supports the latest HDMI 1.3 and X.V. color.

Have Fun!!
post #7 of 7 Old 07-26-2007, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

After reading about the mits on the 731 thread and the fact that I've bought Sonys for 30 years and never had a problem, I will pick up the Sony. It came down to these two, the Samsung threads scared me away from them and my budget is 1800 clams. Thanks again,guys.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page