Official Sony KDS-XXA3000 OWNERS THREAD! - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 15290 Old 08-14-2007, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Brian, what kind of input did you use to connect it to your computer? Component, VGA, or HDMI? Did you experiment with the TV overscan settings that are documented in the manual? (I'm looking at the PDF manual that was posted here a few weeks ago and it mentions pitch, phase, H/V center settings, display area, etc.)

I'm particularly interested in this because I'm looking for something to connect to my HTPC, which I use for about 99% of TV viewing. It would be great if I could get 1:1 pixel mapping with this set, or something close to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 15290 Old 08-14-2007, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgreenpc View Post

Gumby -

How are you connected to the TV ( dvi-> hdmi cable?
What video card model (I saw the nvidia part)

I will be very interested in how you get this to work, as I plan on running my home theater pc off this unit (well, the 55" model).

Yea, DVI to HDMI, 7300GT for the card (nice and quiet, no fan). I am a gamer, but this is not an all out gaming rig. I will mainly play UT2004 and Titan Quest on this. I am using an AMD 3800X2, 2 GB of PC3200 ram, 500 GB HD, and that 7300 GT. I noticed something funny. When I turned on my PC it had previously been on my 32", so it was set to 720P. When I changed the resolution to 1080P, it also gave me the option to go to either 60Hz or 24Hz

Brian
post #273 of 15290 Old 08-14-2007, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby1 View Post

Well, it showed up on time and I have been playing with it for about an hour. I hooked it up to my computer right away and set my computer to 1080P. It overscanned quite a bit. I used the nvidia control panel to adjust for overscan compensation and ended up with 1824X1016 to be able to see my whole desktop. There is one small problem, however. When I adjusted for overscan, the horizontal is a little off. It looks perfect on the left side, but a little is missing on the right. If I make the right side perfect, there is a little bit of black showing on the left. Maybe in the service menu there is an option to adjust the whole screen over a bit. Geometry on top is a little off, but looks pretty good overall. If anyone wants pics, I can take a few, but they look pretty much like the 55

Brian

I'm thinking of getting the 60" over the 55" with my only two concerns being:

1) Will analog SD (cableTV) blow up so much that it looks really bad? How does it look at 10 feet?

2) Is the 120W lamp sufficient for good viewing in the daytime? Is it bright enough without going into vivid mode?

If either of these are problems (granted, it may not be the 60A3000's fault, but perhaps any 60"+ TV), then I may go down to 55". I watch a lot of SD and want it bearable.

Thanks! Enjoy it!

Robert
post #274 of 15290 Old 08-14-2007, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclamage View Post

Brian, what kind of input did you use to connect it to your computer? Component, VGA, or HDMI? Did you experiment with the TV overscan settings that are documented in the manual? (I'm looking at the PDF manual that was posted here a few weeks ago and it mentions pitch, phase, H/V center settings, display area, etc.)

I'm particularly interested in this because I'm looking for something to connect to my HTPC, which I use for about 99% of TV viewing. It would be great if I could get 1:1 pixel mapping with this set, or something close to it.

Actually, I have not looked at the manual yet, hehe. Been playing a bit and checking out a couple of games and movies. I have it sitting on the ground right now until I can get my stand built. Using DVI - HDMI

Brian
post #275 of 15290 Old 08-14-2007, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

I've got the A2000 and just decided to go Phantom mode and disconnect my original center for now. The quality of the speakers on the SXRD wouldn't make it a good center.

Someone here on AVS recommended this stand for mounting center channels on the SXRD.
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/OmniM...oductDetail.do

Being able to use that speaker mount on top of the TV would depend on whether the TV gets geometry problems, right?

I, too, have been waiting for this TV for a long time. Any replies would be appreciated. And thanks, Insly. A lot of people here are very grateful for your input.

If you've had half as much fun reading this post as I've had writing it, well then, I've had twice as much fun writing this post as you've had reading it.
post #276 of 15290 Old 08-14-2007, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

For calibration, I would just set the picture mode to "custom" (or, anything but "Vivid") color temp to "warm" and then adjust brightness & contrast using a THX disc. Tint too, if you have blue glasses, though I have never seen Tint be off with a digital TV, at least after selecting proper NTSC color temp (ie "warm"). I have Avia around somewhere but honestly that thing is a beast to navigate and the THX screens are really all you need unless you are tweaking greyscale in the service menu.
post #277 of 15290 Old 08-14-2007, 10:04 AM

I have not decided if I am going to get the 55 or 60 model and one thing that will help me decide is if the 60 will fit on my current stand. Does anybody have the width of just the pedestal? I already know that the sides will hang off, but am hoping the entire pedestal will fit on my 42.5" entertainment center. Does anybody have suggestions on how much hanging off the sides is acceptable? Thanks for the info everyone, I can't wait to get one!
post #278 of 15290 Old 08-14-2007, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclamage View Post

OK, after reading the manual and adjusting the horizontal position, I came up with 1808X1016, and now everything is centered. I put a menu right up to the left side and the bar on the menu is not exactly vertical. I will play some more and see what happens.

Brian
post #279 of 15290 Old 08-14-2007, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valnar View Post

I'm thinking of getting the 60" over the 55" with my only two concerns being:

1) Will analog SD (cableTV) blow up so much that it looks really bad? How does it look at 10 feet?

2) Is the 120W lamp sufficient for good viewing in the daytime? Is it bright enough without going into vivid mode?

If either of these are problems (granted, it may not be the 60A3000's fault, but perhaps any 60"+ TV), then I may go down to 55". I watch a lot of SD and want it bearable.

Thanks! Enjoy it!

Robert

Hey Robert, I watch alot of SD as well. I just swapped it over and it looked surprisingly good. Also, I have not plugged in my regular cable or satellite yet. I am normally going to be using my OnAir GT external tuner hooked up to my computer. It receives NTSC, ATSC, and QAM. The QAM hd channels look awesome. Also, I was really reluctant to get the 60. I honestly thought that the 50 or maybe 55 would be more than enough. I am coming from a 35 tube. When you are in a store they are so deceptive with 70 and 73 inch sets displayed. It makes a 60 look kinda small. When most people get them home they "blow up" inside of your house. Fortunately I am glad to have the 60 and I really am surpised that it does not look enormous.

Brian
PS I will be about 10' away when it is finally set up. I am about 7' away right now
post #280 of 15290 Old 08-14-2007, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
How's the brightness with some sun in the room?

Robert
post #281 of 15290 Old 08-14-2007, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks Gumby...please give us details about the geometry, color and contrast (blacks).
post #282 of 15290 Old 08-14-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:

OK, after reading the manual and adjusting the horizontal position, I came up with 1808X1016, and now everything is centered. I put a menu right up to the left side and the bar on the menu is not exactly vertical. I will play some more and see what happens.

Brian

Will be watching with a lot of interest...

I will probably have someone come out and calibrate and tweak the TV.

post #283 of 15290 Old 08-14-2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valnar View Post

How's the brightness with some sun in the room?

Robert

I am in a very bright room with 3 windows and I am very pleased with stock settings except for changing it to custom and warm1

Brian
post #284 of 15290 Old 08-14-2007, 11:21 AM

Brian hows the SSE in your opinion? I know we didnt spend much time looking at the a2020, but how does it compare?
and congrats!

Drew
post #285 of 15290 Old 08-14-2007, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84jeepjohn View Post

Insly: you are the man. we are all gonna pester you till some other people get these sets. That TV looks wonderful and I hope you get some serious enjoyment from it.

If you can't find an AVIA DVD's just look at a Sar Ward DVD, they will have the "THX" optimizer.

(man I hope my 3rd Optical block is bad.........I WANT ONE OF THESE!!!!!!

I just got my 60A2020 abut 5/12 weeks ago & I too am wishing an untimely demise

carry on with your HD-Lite Directv loving banter! <--Comedy Gold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #286 of 15290 Old 08-14-2007, 11:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanerman View Post

Being able to use that speaker mount on top of the TV would depend on whether the TV gets geometry problems, right?

How would the speaker give the TV geometry problems? Or maybe I'm not understanding your question?

Afro GT
post #287 of 15290 Old 08-14-2007, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert View Post

Brian hows the SSE in your opinion? I know we didnt spend much time looking at the a2020, but how does it compare?
and congrats!

I am typing on it now and in the white area of this box I am using I can see it about the same as in the store. You will have to be the judge for yourself. You should see it, I have it sitting on my fireplace ledge just to get it off of the ground on a ghetto stand,hehe.

Brian
post #288 of 15290 Old 08-14-2007, 11:31 AM

Any comments on SSE? Is it better than the 2000 and 2020 or about the same? This is a deciding factor for me on whether I go with the A300 or the XBR2.
post #289 of 15290 Old 08-14-2007, 11:36 AM

Ok, I will try to post a couple of pics. Resolution had to be downsized to post.

Brian
LL
LL
post #290 of 15290 Old 08-14-2007, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prisoner655321 View Post

Any comments on SSE? Is it better than the 2000 and 2020 or about the same? This is a deciding factor for me on whether I go with the A300 or the XBR2.

I have limited experience with SSE, but I would have to say it is about the same, no better, no worse. You would probably have to see it in person to judge for yourself.

Brian
post #291 of 15290 Old 08-14-2007, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

How would the speaker give the TV geometry problems? Or maybe I'm not understanding your question?

People seem to be concerned that applying weight (touching the screen, for example, a couple pages into the thread) on the TV could alter the geometry/cause bowing for one reason or another. I never understood why but it has been a concern in the past.

I'd strongly appreciate any elaborating on whether putting a 20ish pound center channel on top of this TV would cause bowing/geometry issues or anything of the sort. Thanks.

If you've had half as much fun reading this post as I've had writing it, well then, I've had twice as much fun writing this post as you've had reading it.
post #292 of 15290 Old 08-14-2007, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It would appear from the experience of the new slim JVC's and Samsungs that slimmer displays may be more prone to geometry problems than earlier "thicker" sets. Owners of Samsung's HL-Txx76 with the new slim design are reporting that the bezel/frame is so thin and the screen so flexible that even gentle pressure on the frame or screen temporarily changes the geometry of the picture. Even setting the Samsung on a slightly uneven surface is said to change the geometry of the picture (some owners are reporting putting shims under the pedestal stand of their display to change the geometry of their displays).

The hope, of course, is that Sony has found a solution to the problems experienced by owners of other manufacturers' displays, and that the weight of a center channel speaker resting on the cabinet and frame of the A3000 wouldn't affect geometry.
post #293 of 15290 Old 08-14-2007, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanerman View Post

I never understood why but it has been a concern in the past..

What's there to not understand? Putting weight on the frame of any object can potentiall bend that frame, causing a skew. Most RPTV manuals now say specifically not to do this, for this very reason.
post #294 of 15290 Old 08-14-2007, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelpie View Post

It would appear from the experience of the new slim JVC's and Samsungs that slimmer displays may be more prone to geometry problems than earlier "thicker" sets. Owners of Samsung's HL-Txx76 with the new slim design are reporting that the bezel/frame is so thin and the screen so flexible that even gentle pressure on the frame or screen temporarily changes the geometry of the picture. Even setting the Samsung on a slightly uneven surface is said to change the geometry of the picture (some owners are reporting putting shims under the pedestal stand of their display to change the geometry of their displays).

The hope, of course, is that Sony has found a solution to the problems experienced by owners of other manufacturers' displays, and that the weight of a center channel speaker resting on the cabinet and frame of the A3000 wouldn't affect geometry.

Thanks for the clear explanation. Hopefully Sony's found a solution, indeed.

post #295 of 15290 Old 08-14-2007, 12:13 PM

Gumby1, is there any way you can post some good quality pics of the cabinet?! I'm really trying to get an idea of how this thing really looks compared with a A2020. I don't know why I'm having such a hard time visualizing it, but all the pictures I've seen from Sony, Crutchfield and Insly all seem a little different to me. Thanks, and I hope you enjoy your new TV!

Through appliance of science, we've got that ring of confidence
post #296 of 15290 Old 08-14-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:

Ok, I will try to post a couple of pics. Resolution had to be downsized to post.

Brian

Looks beautiful! It's killing me!!! Mine will be here in a few hours.
post #297 of 15290 Old 08-14-2007, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Gremlin^ View Post

I think this is what your looking for?
http://reviews.cnet.com/9601-4_7-0-4...sageID=2506536

Thank you for the link. I always like to see what the pros say about TV calibration before I use my Video Essentials and compare them.
post #298 of 15290 Old 08-14-2007, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by belsouth View Post

Interesting that the 60A3000 is priced less than the 60A2020.

Yes, very ineresting indeed!

carry on with your HD-Lite Directv loving banter! <--Comedy Gold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #299 of 15290 Old 08-14-2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codywan24 View Post

Gumby1, is there any way you can post some good quality pics of the cabinet?! I'm really trying to get an idea of how this thing really looks compared with a A2020. I don't know why I'm having such a hard time visualizing it, but all the pictures I've seen from Sony, Crutchfield and Insly all seem a little different to me. Thanks, and I hope you enjoy your new TV!

I could post some pics, but they have to be scaled down to upload, probably would not do them justice. Side, front, or what?

Brian
post #300 of 15290 Old 08-14-2007, 01:18 PM

you cant go into the local OD to pick it up... sigh.

Tags
Displays , KDS-55A3000 , Mitsubishi , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page