Forum Jump: 

post #5041 of 15263 Old 12-01-2007, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousMojo View Post

I'm wondering what the recommended starter settings are for this unit? I have the 60".

Thanks in advance.

You can make your way through the settings thread:

>>Sony KDS-XXA3000<< Settings/Tweaks thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=904460

As I understand, you can get 80 - 90% there with test dvd's and tweaking the settings yourself. But as each TV and viewing environment are unique, you will need to hire an ISF calibrator with the eye, knowledge, meters and equipment that we don't have.

Also, I've learned that AVSForum member and calibrator UMR had good experience and results with SXRD's. you can go to his site accucalhd
and see if you can catch him when "on tour" near you. I will like to get him in when I put the rest of my system together and get a few hundred hours on the set (as he will do audio as well)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5042 of 15263 Old 12-01-2007, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Re: XBR4

I have yet to see an LCD that doesn't remind me that I'm watching an LCD. That is not a compliment.

An SXRD looks like a quality projector + screen. That's good
A Plasma looks like a CRT. That's good.

Until a new technology comes out that trumps them all, I would not consider any LCD. For those that have $4K+ to spend, you should be looking at the Pioneer Kuro's. I would if I had the $$.

(Message being typed on a PC with a Hitachi SuperScan Elite 751 19" CRT monitor.)
Robert
post #5043 of 15263 Old 12-01-2007, 07:27 AM

My set has this as well. I see no effect on the picture from HD cable box, OTA, or my calibration DVD (Avia A/V Calibration). At first I thought there may be an issue, but after watching video from different sources over the past three weeks, I don't notice anything when the set is running.
post #5044 of 15263 Old 12-01-2007, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haktu View Post

I actually ordered the 60A3000 from reading the reviews from many different forums. A lot of people are comparing the A3000 series to the XBR4s so I went to the SONY store and wanted to check it out for myself... Let me just say that after about 10 seconds in the store, I immediately called and canceled my order for the A3000. The 52XBR4 was completely on another level... not even comparable! I stood there watching spiderman 3 trailers on bluray over and over and couldn't be more impressed! The rear projection tvs have really narrow viewing angles and the brightness was just ok... the xbr4 on the other hand was astonishing! I am sorry to say this guys, but I was so blown away watching the a3000 and xbr4 that I ended up buying the 52xbr4. There really is NO comparison here... check it out at the store yourselves...

However you feel about the xbr4, the pioneer kuros still kick that lcd's ass any day of the week. I was ready to pull the trigger on the pio 6010 about a week ago, then realized it was more than 3x the price of my first used car!

There will always be something better as long as yer willing to pay the price. I'm hoping the this sony will be the last rptv I buy till the kuro like plasmas drop in price a bit more.

btw 3k+ for a 52in screen is a lousy deal imho.
post #5045 of 15263 Old 12-01-2007, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicBlak View Post

And you'd be correct. Indeed, according to c|net, it does not. But a firmware fix is apparently in the works. (Review link available in the A3000 Settings/Tweaks thread.)

If you read the review, the firmware fixes the loss of 1080i signal resolution in Cinema & Custom modes. It does not fix the inability of the Sony set (like most other Sonys) to deinterlace 1080i film content.
post #5046 of 15263 Old 12-01-2007, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger999 View Post

If you read the review, the firmware fixes the loss of 1080i signal resolution in Cinema & Custom modes. It does not fix the inability of the Sony set (like most other Sonys) to deinterlace 1080i film content.

Either way, that's a welcome fix. Here's hoping Sony offers it up soon.

Enjoying the goodness that is Blu-ray and HD-DVD
post #5047 of 15263 Old 12-01-2007, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haktu View Post

I actually ordered the 60A3000 from reading the reviews from many different forums. A lot of people are comparing the A3000 series to the XBR4s so I went to the SONY store and wanted to check it out for myself... Let me just say that after about 10 seconds in the store, I immediately called and canceled my order for the A3000. The 52XBR4 was completely on another level... not even comparable! I stood there watching spiderman 3 trailers on bluray over and over and couldn't be more impressed! The rear projection tvs have really narrow viewing angles and the brightness was just ok... the xbr4 on the other hand was astonishing! I am sorry to say this guys, but I was so blown away watching the a3000 and xbr4 that I ended up buying the 52xbr4. There really is NO comparison here... check it out at the store yourselves...

I hope you feel the same way when you get it home and watch movies in the dark.

post #5048 of 15263 Old 12-01-2007, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger999 View Post

That's how I understand it, too. We were discussing this a few pages back in the thread. Does anyone know why Sony sets have this general deinterlacing issue, and why they have allowed it to persist over several product generations?

Incidentally, the A3000 doesn't do a terrible job with 1080i film material in practice. Most cheaper upscaling DVD players look noticeably better on this set outputting at 1080i rather than at 1080p.
post #5049 of 15263 Old 12-01-2007, 08:16 AM

Well it's here....my kds60a3000 has arrived. It is set up, and it is Beautifull. I am sure it will be even better when I get around to peaking some of the adjustments. Some help on a couple of questions will be greatly appreciated. My service is from Cox Cable in the Rhode Island area,through a DCT 6416III dvr set top box, via HDMI. I have read,here and other forums, that it may be best for picture quality to set the stb to pass through the signals and allow the tv to convert to 1080p. Does the DCT 6416III have the setting to "pass through" and if so, how do I set it.One other thing...I have also been told that it is not a good idea to turn the set on and off more than necessary. One person even suggested,"if you are not going to be away from the set for a couple of hours, just leave it on". I rea;ize not to just click on and off, but that seems a little drastic. What is the problem....is it just the bulb or are there other areas that could be damaged. For instance....lets say I am watching tv, and it is dinner time. I will be back to the set in about 1/2 an hour. Is there a problem with off and on in this instance. Thank you in advance for any help, and I am very happy to be a part of the A3000 family.

Some days you are the bug, some days you are the windshield........
post #5050 of 15263 Old 12-01-2007, 08:56 AM

Dang, I was just about to go out today and purchase the KDS-55A3000, but this latest review from Cnet has me worried.

If it does not de-interlace a 1080i signal properly than this a big problem since to date all cable and OTA HD is presented in 1080i?

Currently I have two sources to provide HD, a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD cable box and my Toshiba HDDVD A2. Which both provide 1080i natively.

I'm not really up to snuff on all the data, but won't I be disappointed? I would like TV that provides 1080p with 120hz for future upgrades, but in the meantime provides an excellent true 1080i HD picture. Should I be looking into buying a different set?
post #5051 of 15263 Old 12-01-2007, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
My friend is looking into buying the 50" or 55" model but is concerned about the bulb replacement/cost. I have never had a rear projection set so I thought I would post this. His wife stays at home with the kids so the set would be on for 10+ hours per day (I am sure he could learn to manage the time it is on though). They have a LCD right now but are considering one of A3000 sets. Can anyone comment on this? Would he basically be replacing a bulb a year? Is it worth it? Thanks in advance!
post #5052 of 15263 Old 12-01-2007, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post

My friend is looking into buying the 50" or 55" model but is concerned about the bulb replacement/cost. I have never had a rear projection set so I thought I would post this. His wife stays at home with the kids so the set would be on for 10+ hours per day (I am sure he could learn to manage the time it is on though). They have a LCD right now but are considering one of A3000 sets. Can anyone comment on this? Would he basically be replacing a bulb a year? Is it worth it? Thanks in advance!

Yes, I can comment on this. -- The kids should not watch TV 10 hours a day.

That's my comment.

-Robert
post #5053 of 15263 Old 12-01-2007, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboroman View Post

Dang, I was just about to go out today and purchase the KDS-55A3000, but this latest review from Cnet has me worried.

If it does not de-interlace a 1080i signal properly than this a big problem since to date all cable and OTA HD is presented in 1080i?

I think people are making way too much of this cnet review. Perhaps people didn't read the last part of the sentence regarding 1080i:

Of course, those sources still appeared quite sharp

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #5054 of 15263 Old 12-01-2007, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valnar View Post

Yes, I can comment on this. -- The kids should not watch TV 10 hours a day.

That's my comment.

-Robert

LOL! Well she just normally keeps the tv on during the day. He says the kids only watch tv for a couple of hours a day. I guess he is just concerned that he will burn through the bulb really quickly.
post #5055 of 15263 Old 12-01-2007, 09:44 AM

Just wanted to say I got my 50A3000 last night. Why am I telling you this? Hell, I'm telling EVERYBODY! OK, old joke. Mea culpa.
Anyway, wanted to thank all who have posted as I had a very hard time deciding on what set to buy. I was poised over the 'confirm order' button for a Samsung 5076 until I read all the stories of dread on that thread. Even the new 5087/89 had initial defect reports that scared me away. I was going to pull the trigger on the Sony 50E3000 as it was $999 on Frys.com but from all the posts knew I'd always have doubts, as sports is what I mostly watch. Anyway, the 50A3000 is AWESOME, pulls in digital channels off my analog cable feed thanks, I believe, to the QAM tuner. I wish I could get ESPN HD but will settle for ABC/CBS/NBC in high def. No visible defects on screen, I can't hear the fan at all unless I go right over the set (might be because it has its own nook in the wall, but not really loud anyway). I bought off of Amazon because they were cheapest when I took in the costs of 3-5 day shipping (vs. 3-5 WEEK shipping on the low cost site). I had to pick it up locally as the shipper couldn't bring to my house until next Tuesday but that's OK b/c local BB wanted way too much money for this set, and CC didn't have this model listed at all (I couldn't go over 50" b/c of the size of the cutout in the wall). I ordered it Monday, it shipped from Amazon Tuesday, I picked it up Friday. Can't beat that for the price - no tax, no shipping & handling, just the price of the TV.
Going to try the settings posted on this thread to tune this thing in even more. BTW, this was defaulted to Standard instead of Vivid as others have posted. Have Fun!
post #5056 of 15263 Old 12-01-2007, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP Guthrie View Post

New owner here, I have a question about this. I have a 5.1 receiver but it's currently hooked up to a 2.1 setup. This isn't changing anytime soon, I'm happy with my speakers and don't have the money to add 3 more anyway after buying the new TV. But my question is, knowing this is it worth it to run optical cable from each of my hdmi devices to the receiver directly? Or can I take the easy way out and run the one optical from the TV to the receiver and not notice the difference.

In other words, would the receiver do a better job of downmixing to stereo than the TV? Or does it not matter? (I've always thought all stereo mixes were equal, so please correct me if I'm wrong!)

Congrats on the new A3000.

The A3000's downmixing to stereo is quite good, but... why discard the 2.1 for 2.0?

It's a reasonable question, but I would need to know more about your 2.1 setup in order to answer that, specifically - do you have a sub-woofer and, if so, are you using a sub-woofer that is connected to the receivers LFE (low frequency effects) channel - the .1 in your 2.1? - a dedicated sub-woofer channel?

Let's assume for the time being that your recv'r is doing a correct 2.1 downmix from 5.1, keeping the sub-woofer audio intact. If it is, you'd be better off with direct connections. If the stereo downmix at the rec'vr is blending the LFE into the 2-channel result, then it would probably make little to no difference.

An extra optical digital cable would be an inexpensive step in making both connections for an A/B comparison, assuming you've got another TOSLINK input on the rec'vr. (monoprice.com) Then, your ears can be the deciding factor.

But, my guess is that you'd be giving up some low-frequency fidelity in the Sony's downmix - not a fault of the TV - but due to giving up discreet LFE audio that your receiver provides.
post #5057 of 15263 Old 12-01-2007, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwjohn View Post

Not sure if he has one or not, but try www.w6rz.net.

I burned some of those files to a DVD and couldn't get them to play on my Oppo. I was hoping just to get a crosshatch jpeg. Anyone have any ideas?
post #5058 of 15263 Old 12-01-2007, 10:10 AM

So, what does the Theater Mode button really do? Other than make the screen darker? It doesn't seem to modify any user changeable settings. I've already got power saving on, yet the screen still gets darker. Any ideas?

post #5059 of 15263 Old 12-01-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post

At ten hours a day, the bulb would likely need to be replaced once every two years. (Sony's claim of 8000 hrs before bulb replacement is probably a bit optimistic, even with Power Save ON.)

A2000 owners would have more data on this as their sets are likely to have seen more bulb replacements than the relatively new A3000s.
post #5060 of 15263 Old 12-01-2007, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeynavy1 View Post

I burned some of those files to a DVD and couldn't get them to play on my Oppo. I was hoping just to get a crosshatch jpeg. Anyone have any ideas?

Those patterns are for HD DVD. If you have an HD DVD player, you can burn the ISO at the top of the page to DVD and play it on your HD DVD player.

Most, if not all, of the Oppos will play a picture CD. You could try that.

I don't know of any free SD discs that contain cross hatch patterns.

AVS HD 709 - Free calibration disks
The 2007 Patriots: 18 -1
Tom who?
"...the small of napalm in the evening breeze, as I crouch behind a shopping cart in the parking lot..." - The Mall Ninja
post #5061 of 15263 Old 12-01-2007, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwjohn View Post

Those patterns are for HD DVD. If you have an HD DVD player, you can burn the ISO at the top of the page to DVD and play it on your HD DVD player.

Most, if not all, of the Oppos will play a picture CD. You could try that.

I don't know of any free SD discs that contain cross hatch patterns.

You're right. I was hoping someone may have known of a site where someone had made their own or copied a similar pattern as a *.jpg or something. I searched on the Internet and found nothing. Oh well.
post #5062 of 15263 Old 12-01-2007, 11:02 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed4252 View Post

I'm having the SAME problem as defton420. I'm getting that black spot but it's on the left side of the TV. Even when I turn off the tv, that spot is still there. I just got this TV yesterday from Sears(picked it up) and I don't have the transportation anymore to take it back so I'm not sure what to do.

Also, I don't have digital cable yet though I'm noticing when it scans for auto-channeling it picks up a number of digital channels. When I go to like CBS digital, it runs in 4:3 mode no matter what but when I go to standard CBS, it switches to 16:9. Is there a reason for this?

You have to rule out ANY and I do mean any light source that could shine through the screen, hit the mirror and then reflect back to the screen. One way to do this is get a big blanket and put it over you and the A3000 so that there is no possibility of any light shinning onto the screen. Best to do this with the set off. If your problem disappears they you know it's a light source and not the TV.

Another possibility is that you have dirt/dust on the inside of the screen and/or the optical block. There are 2 circular access hatches, one on each side of the set, that can be used for cleaning. Some people have used these access hatches and have seen dust/dirt on the inside and have been able to clean it. Others have placed a service call to have the insides cleaned.

As to you digital problem. Use the Display button on the remote to verify the resolution that the station is currently broadcasting. I say currently because the network stations do not broadcast 1080i/720p 24 hours a day. Also, check the Menu | Screen setting parameters. Specifically the Wide Mode, Auto Wide and 4:3 default settings. Not having these set correctly can cause what you are seeing.
post #5063 of 15263 Old 12-01-2007, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I'm still very pleased with my TV. I've had minor issues with my 880 with it. However, the PQ has stayed amazing and still do not regret it one bit. The biggest surprise to me was how fast this TV dropped in price. You can pick them up now for a steal, compared to other RPTV's out there for the features you get.

To all those that PM'd me, I'll do my best at responding to them. I didn't think this thread would reach 170 pages, pretty amazing.

Has anyone ordered the internet piece for it? I think my wife's bought it for me for Christmas already, but if not I've been itching to give it a shot.

Happy hunting.
post #5064 of 15263 Old 12-01-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopstretch View Post

That's how I understand it, too. We were discussing this a few pages back in the thread. Does anyone know why Sony sets have this general deinterlacing issue, and why they have allowed it to persist over several product generations?

Incidentally, the A3000 doesn't do a terrible job with 1080i film material in practice. Most cheaper upscaling DVD players look noticeably better on this set outputting at 1080i rather than at 1080p.

I just purchased the 60A3000 2 weeks ago and in watching film 1080i from cable over HDMI, I'm hard pressed to notice artifacts. I can't find interline twitter/scanline flickering and combing, which in my opinion would be real deal-killers. I suppose if I watch slow pans of stadium seats I'll be able to see moire patterns in the bleachers, but this isn't a frequent occurence. If there's a more subtle loss of resolution from reassembling the 1080p frame incorrectly, I'm still having a hard time seeing it. I was very worried because I knew buying the set it could not pass 3:2 film deinterlacing tests but the Sony solution appears tolerable to my eyes at 8-10 feet.

I am still eager to get the firmware upgrade to fix the Cinema & Custom modes though.
post #5065 of 15263 Old 12-01-2007, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewe View Post

I just got my 60A3000 and love it! i bought an HDMI cable to attached my Toshiba HD-DVD player to the set. Currently my satellite receiver/DVR box is connected via component. It does have HDMI. Is there a compelling reason to connect the sat. receiver via HDMI?

Component cables need 4 cables, HDMI 1 cable. HDMI transfers information much quicker. 1080P it makes a huge difference. I don't know about 1080i
post #5066 of 15263 Old 12-01-2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insly View Post

Well, I'm still very pleased with my TV. I've had minor issues with my 880 with it. However, the PQ has stayed amazing and still do not regret it one bit. The biggest surprise to me was how fast this TV dropped in price. You can pick them up now for a steal, compared to other RPTV's out there for the features you get.

To all those that PM'd me, I'll do my best at responding to them. I didn't think this thread would reach 170 pages, pretty amazing.

Has anyone ordered the internet piece for it? I think my wife's bought it for me for Christmas already, but if not I've been itching to give it a shot.

Happy hunting.

The Sony DMXNV1 Bravia Internet Video Link has gotten mixed reviews: limited content, mostly in standard definition, pricey for what your getting.

It's a streaming device, too, which adds the speed and quality of your broadband connection into the equation (slow connection=poor results, and vice-versa.)

(I don't own one. Just reporting what I've heard.)

Do any A3000 owners here have one? And if so, what are your experiences with the Sony DMXNV1 Bravia Internet Video Link??
post #5067 of 15263 Old 12-01-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHbyDEFINITION View Post

Component cables need 4 cables, HDMI 1 cable. HDMI transfers information much quicker. 1080P it makes a huge difference. I don't know about 1080i

Component connections are 3 cables (Y, Pb, Pr), not 4.

In HDMI, speed is not the issue. It's a digital connection vs analog, so, in theory, provides the best possible picture from the source to the TV.

In practice, you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference between the two unless you had a very "noisy" set of component cables. I had some noisy comp. cables and the difference was noticeable but not dramatic.

HDMI also carries audio, but in the case of the A3000, audio fed to the TV via HDMI is downmixed by the A3000 to 2 channel PCM stereo (if there are greater than two channels present in the bitstream) for the internal speakers, and for the optical and analog audio outputs.

(Dolby Digital 5.1 output from the A3000 is only possible IF the set is receiving 5.1 from ATSC signals, VIA CABLE or ANTENNA only.)
post #5068 of 15263 Old 12-01-2007, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHbyDEFINITION View Post

Lets see...red...green...blue...nope thats all the cables there are, just 3. Then add optical/coaxial. That would get you 4.

Hdmi may transfer more quickly but i'm hard pressed to see a big difference in picture quality between it and component. Composite and component, sure. S video and component, absolutely.

(I'm sure i'll be told im in error but) I think hdmi is more about protecting content from pirates (or consumers like us) than giving you a better picture. Audio might be a different matter.

Hdmi sure is a cleaner connection cable wise but not as secure as a banana plug.
post #5069 of 15263 Old 12-01-2007, 12:57 PM

I just bought the 60A3000 and it will be delivered to my house on Tuesday!

I'm super excited. With that said I have a few questions.

I didn't buy the extended warranty from Amazon but it appears I can still buy it. What do you guys think of the extended warranty that Sony offers? It looks like i can get 5 years for $250 from Sony.

Also, to fine tune this set, do you guys recommend picking up Avia or something else? I can't seem to find Avia in Blu-ray (I have a new PS3 i will be hooking up and also will be watching Dish Network in HD). Will the DVD version of Avia work fine or is there something better for making Blu-ray look good as well as HD content from my satellite provider?
post #5070 of 15263 Old 12-01-2007, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

I think people are making way too much of this cnet review. Perhaps people didn't read the last part of the sentence regarding 1080i:

Of course, those sources still appeared quite sharp

I concur 100%. Honestly, during real-world playback the A3000 does a fabulous job, all things considered. Though I did notice a tinge of softness with my HDM players set to 1080i, I also noticed this with my previous A2000, so I kinda chalked it up as something that's possibly germane to the SXRD technology. (I wouldn't use cable or satellite 1080i as a barometer due to the excessive compression often used.) But if Sony has acknowledged that a "fix" is in the works, then cool... It says a lot about their continuing commitment to their product. But I wouldn't let this "issue," so to speak, deter anyone who's sitting on the fence. All things considered, you'll be hard-pressed to get any better bang for your buck IMO. Besides, I doubt many of us would have even noticed it being a "problem" had the review not said so.

Panasonic PT-AX200U

Da-Lite Model B 106" HCMW
Sony KDS-60A3000

VIP 3D Theater Plus Converter w/ MonsterVision Max 3D Eyewear
Onkyo TX-SR805 (v1.08 w/DSP & HDMI Updates)
Oppo BDP-103
Sony PS3 Slim (v4.50)
Toshiba HD-A35 (v4.0)
Polk Audio RTi8 / CSi5 / FXi3
Boston 595x Subwoofers

My DVD Collection

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony , Mitsubishi , Playstation 3 160gb System , Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page