post #541 of 15318 Old 08-17-2007, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr View Post

You need to post your settings and what you have connected and how. You definately have everything screwed up. Don't connect your TV to the Denon for HD, connect the TV directly to Fios. You shouldn't be using component to your PC. Use HDMI/DVI and do the adjustments in the ATI workbench. Why are you using a video converter? The connection to your PS3 is also wrong. Damn, everything is wrong.
You need to post exactly how you have everything connected for help. And please tell us why you are using a video converter and that it has to be on.

Cable and PS3 are fine. They are connected by HDMI and only pass through, not converted.
The HTPC is connected by componenent. It didn't sync well with DVI out from the ATI. The DVI out on the ATI 9800 AIW was meant for FP LCD's and did not work well with the GW3. Component gave just as good results. I haven't taken the time yet to work with the PC, but I will try the DVI-->HDMI now that I have this set. It is funny the A3000 through component and being converted took the 1152x648 resolution I used to use on my GW3 just fine and it looks good.

I want everything to pass through the Denon as it makes it easier to do everything from one source especially with HDMI for sound and video.

I do want to get the max res. I can from the ATI to the A3000. If you can help that would be great and I will also try the HTPC forum as it has been a while since I was there.

One of the issues I ran into previously with DVI from the PC was that I recall needing to run dual monitors to get it to work.

I will try in a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 15318 Old 08-17-2007, 05:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

I believe beyond a doubt that the above mentioned cinematic motion for 24p is indeed the Cinemotion setting on the A3000.

Time to raise some doubts.....

Pardon my poor description, but I'll try to explain. "Cinemotion" and "24p True Cinema" are kinda related, but they're really very different animals. Movies and many TV shows are filmed at 24 frames per second (fps or Hz). Over-the-air (OTA) TV is broadcast at 60Hz and most TV's to date have displayed their images at 60Hz. In order to broadcast 24fps content for view on 60Hz TV's, the framerate has to be changed to 60 Hz via a process called telecine or 3:2 pulldown (because 24 won't multiply directly into 60). Blu-ray movies (for example) are encoded on the disc at 24fps, but the players also have had to process the signal to 60Hz for view on most displays. The Holy Grail for many videophiles has been the ability to take that raw original 24fps source and display it on the screen without the telecine processing/conversion to reduce artifacts like telecine judder.

24p True Cinema is Sony's name for their process whereby their 120Hz displays (like the A 3000) take an original 24 fps source (like on a Blu-ray disc from a player with the ability to output that raw 24p signal) and display it on the screen without further processing with 3:2 pulldown (24 multiplies directly into 120)-that "Holy Grail" of many videophiles that I mentioned. Some recent 120Hz displays from other manufacturers apparently saved cost in their processors by taking 24fps input, converting it to 30Hz with telecine, and then multiplying it by 4 to 120Hz- thus reintroducing artifacts caused by the telecine process. Sony's 24p True Cinema supposedly "does it right" and eliminates the telecine process on 24fps sources. (And maybe the new displays will even do a better job of recovering the original 24fps content from telecined broadcast sources like movies and many TV shows from OTA broadcasters because of its 24p True Cinema.)

Cinemotion is Sony's name for their reverse 3:2 pulldown (reverse telecine) processing necessary to display a telecined source (e.g. OTA broadcast) on the screen (see pg. 37 of the A3000 manual). "Cinemotion" is what the display uses to process telecined 24fps content, "24p True Cinema" is what the display uses to display 24fps content without subjecting it to telecine.

Sony provides serveral different settings for the Cinemotion on its A3000's so you can optimize the picture on sources that have undergone 3:2 pulldown processing. There is no need to change settings for the 24p True Cinema feature- the lack of telecine processing just "happens" when you feed the display a 24fps source.

HTH
post #543 of 15318 Old 08-17-2007, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelpie View Post

Kelpie... Thanks. Answered a lot of my questions.

don...

Ferengi Five Stages of Acquisition: 1. Infatuation. 2. Justification. 3. Appropriation. 4. Obsession. 5. Resell
post #544 of 15318 Old 08-17-2007, 09:40 AM

Quote:

Horizontal viewing angle is good. Excuse my math here, but if the A3000 were on a 180 degree plane and 90 degrees would be the position looking straight on and perpendicular to the A3000, 45 degrees plus in either direction still gives a good viewing angle. Actually you could get down to 20 degrees and still see it well. Which would be about 140 degrees horizontal viewing. Why the hell would anyone sit there though?

Vertical is much better than my GW3 was. If you stood up, my GW3 got very dark almost to the point of not being able to see it. Although it loses maybe 20% brightness when I stood on top of a chair that put my viewing at about 7.5 feet.

Summarizing vertical and horizontal viewing issues, there really aren't any!

Yes, I agree with Hughmc. The edge of my sofa is at about 45 degrees, and I see no loss of brightness, and I have mine set to Warm2 and Power Save on, which is not as bright as Vivid/Standard. My dining table is about 60 degrees, and I see some minor decrease in brightness, but it is very watchable. I find this set to have a much better viewing angle as compared to the A2020 that I saw in the store (BB).

Nikhil.
post #545 of 15318 Old 08-17-2007, 09:42 AM

Quote:

Pardon my poor description, but I'll try to explain. "Cinemotion" and "24p True Cinema" are kinda related, but they're really very different animals. Movies and many TV shows are filmed at 24 frames per second (fps or Hz). Over-the-air (OTA) TV is broadcast at 60Hz and most TV's to date have displayed their images at 60Hz. In order to broadcast 24fps content for view on 60Hz TV's, the framerate has to be changed to 60 Hz via a process called telecine or 3:2 pulldown (because 24 won't multiply directly into 60). Blu-ray movies (for example) are encoded on the disc at 24fps, but the players also have had to process the signal to 60Hz for view on most displays. The Holy Grail for many videophiles has been the ability to take that raw original 24fps source and display it on the screen without the telecine processing/conversion to reduce artifacts like telecine judder.

24p True Cinema is Sony's name for their process whereby their 120Hz displays (like the A 3000) take an original 24 fps source (like on a Blu-ray disc from a player with the ability to output that raw 24p signal) and display it on the screen without further processing with 3:2 pulldown (24 multiplies directly into 120)-that "Holy Grail" of many videophiles that I mentioned. Some recent 120Hz displays from other manufacturers apparently saved cost in their processors by taking 24fps input, converting it to 30Hz with telecine, and then multiplying it by 4 to 120Hz- thus reintroducing artifacts caused by the telecine process. Sony's 24p True Cinema supposedly "does it right" and eliminates the telecine process on 24fps sources. (And maybe the new displays will even do a better job of recovering the original 24fps content from telecined broadcast sources like movies and many TV shows from OTA broadcasters because of its 24p True Cinema.)

Cinemotion is Sony's name for their reverse 3:2 pulldown (reverse telecine) processing necessary to display a telecined source (e.g. OTA broadcast) on the screen (see pg. 37 of the A3000 manual). "Cinemotion" is what the display uses to process telecined 24fps content, "24p True Cinema" is what the display uses to display 24fps content without subjecting it to telecine.

Sony provides serveral different settings for the Cinemotion on its A3000's so you can optimize the picture on sources that have undergone 3:2 pulldown processing. There is no need to change settings for the 24p True Cinema feature- the lack of telecine processing just "happens" when you feed the display a 24fps source.

HTH

Thanks for the post, that helps but I'm still a bit confused.

24p True Cinema takes in 24 frames and just multiplies by 5 to get 120fps for display on a 120Hz panel?

If so, then Cinemotion takes a 60fps signal and rather than double it to get 120fps it does reverse pulldown to get it back to 24fps? Then how does it get into 120fps for display? 24p TC again?
post #546 of 15318 Old 08-17-2007, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilwiz View Post

Yes, I agree with Hughmc. The edge of my sofa is at about 45 degrees, and I see no loss of brightness, and I have mine set to Warm2 and Power Save on, which is not as bright as Vivid/Standard. My dining table is about 60 degrees, and I see some minor decrease in brightness, but it is very watchable. I find this set to have a much better viewing angle as compared to the A2020 that I saw in the store (BB).

Nikhil.

Thanks for that info. The 2000 I saw didn't impress me as far as angle viewing went.
post #547 of 15318 Old 08-17-2007, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

What cable do I need to hook up my laptop to this TV?

Or if I hooked it up to my Denon 3808CI receiver, would I then get picture and sound through my speakers? Anyone happen to know what kind of cable that would require?
post #548 of 15318 Old 08-17-2007, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazinvan View Post

24p True Cinema takes in 24 frames and just multiplies by 5 to get 120fps for display on a 120Hz panel?

That's still an unknown at this point. Other manufacturers are taking the 24 frames, converting them to 60 and then doubling to 120. That's would be the wrong approach in my opinion, but I don't even know if it would be visually distinguishable from going directly to 120.
post #549 of 15318 Old 08-17-2007, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilwiz View Post

Nikhil.

I will agree with that. Last night my wife was sitting at a pretty extreme angle playing with the kids, but she kept looking up at the HD programming. I asked her how it looked from there and she said "very good". I checked it out and although not nearly as good as head on, it was still quite watchable. I seem to remember the 2020 changing quality much quicker. ymmv
post #550 of 15318 Old 08-17-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew67 View Post

That's still an unknown at this point. Other manufacturers are taking the 24 frames, converting them to 60 and then doubling to 120. That's would be the wrong approach in my opinion, but I don't even know if it would be visually distinguishable from going directly to 120.

It should be, because 24->60->120 involves 3:2 pulldown 24->120 does not. No jitter introduced so should be obviously visible.
post #551 of 15318 Old 08-17-2007, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

HTH

isnt 24p true cinima there fancy name for black frame insertion to get 24fps? thast what it says in there description.
post #552 of 15318 Old 08-17-2007, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Just to clear something up, film projectors do "black frame insertion" because they have to close the shutter while the film advances to the next frame. If they didn't, you'd get one big blurry mess...
post #553 of 15318 Old 08-17-2007, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walk View Post

Just to clear something up, film projectors do "black frame insertion" because they have to close the shutter while the film advances to the next frame. If they didn't, you'd get one big blurry mess...

yeah so the Tv is mimicing what a projector does by inserting black frames.
post #554 of 15318 Old 08-17-2007, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Has anyone tried to get into the service menu as talked about in the A2000 thread?

I didn't follow that thread too closely, but its my understanding you can set the overscan to zero on a given input (such as VGA or HDMI) which would be good for a PC. Is that true?

Robert
post #555 of 15318 Old 08-17-2007, 01:18 PM

Another new 55A3000 owner here, getting it delivered from BB tomorrow morning. Managed to get the TechDepot price match at the 4th BB I went to. Very happy camper here. Anyone in Orlando area should try the BB on Rinehart road in sanford.
post #556 of 15318 Old 08-17-2007, 02:24 PM

OK Guys...went into a BB today in Roseville, CA just to see if they would price match the TD add. Well, before asking I wanted to do a size comparison out of any 55" or 56" to a 60" to see the difference. Scoping around I find a 50", then HEY a 55". Look at the brand, Sony! Sweet, now to find a 60". Look at the model number of the 55"...55A3000!!!! They had ALL three sizes on the floor! I asked the guy where the 60" was and right as I start I look to my left and there it is! No intention of buying today....but I did!!! I wanted to see one first and I got lucky as they put them out LAST NIGHT! I LOVE the look of the set.

As for price matching...they did...to an extent. I walked out the door with the 4 year in home BB warranty and the TV for $40 cheaper than what BB is selling them for! Or I paid $84 more than the TD price with shipping to CA. Not a bad deal at all. I'm picking it up next Wednesday. Now, to go try and get D* to give me a good deal on upgrading to HD. They haven't come thru yet.

Looking forward to learning more about these TV's and how to tweak with them. This is my first EVER HDTV so I don't think I'll be much help with trying stuff for ya'll. Now I just need that PS3, wait for the XA-3 to come out and get a surround system. Priorities..I know!
post #557 of 15318 Old 08-17-2007, 03:39 PM

Got the 60 - thanks for posting the info everyone. I wanted to get some impressions before I bought the set. I initially thought I wouldn't be getting this set until Sept/Oct. It will be delivered Tuesday. I guess Sony got this TV out the door a little early.

XBOX 360 tag: ABARRY126
post #558 of 15318 Old 08-17-2007, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Omg! I watched Apocalypto again, but this time on my A3000. This is what I have been looking for in HD. The way Insly described it like you are looking through a window or holding the camera is accurate.

This set has amazing PQ.
post #559 of 15318 Old 08-17-2007, 04:15 PM

Thanks Kelpie for your useful explanations of the tech involved with 120Hz playback - very lucid descriptions.

A past owner of a 50A2000 for all of 1 day last January (it started serving up neon green posterized faces after one hour of use, at which point it was returned), I'm still considering this tech (if it's better than last year's variant).

I wonder if the new A3000 owners can try toggling the 120HZ playback on/off if possible, and if not can those with experience with the older sets comment in detail about the perceived differences this introduces? On the surface it sounds like it would result in better smoothness of motion, but any new processing can add artifacts and often does so in its first iterations. I have seen comments wondering why Sony is putting this tech into SXRD sets in the first place since they don't have the refresh issues plaguing LCD screens or the phosphor trailing seen in some plasmas. (It would seem to be a good approach for dealing with 3:2 pulldown though).

Having read this thread as well as the new 8th-gen Pioneer Kuros plasma owner's thread ( all 116 pages!) I would say the A3000 folks have a ways to go before they make a convincing argument beyond value for money with this set. Some of the screen photos that have been posted of the new pio 5080 and 6010s in the last month or so over in that thread are just jaw dropping - they look like high res still photos from a magazine, something that can certainly not be said for the few photos of the A3000 found here. Obviously the camera used, photographer's knowledge and patience, and TV settings are all variables here but the differences are so dramatic. Can anyone who was seen both the Kuros and the A3000 compare on black levels/crush, sharpness, processing artifacts, impact of SSE on viewing? (Can't do this myself yet as the A3000's are yet to get up here).

I'm not trying to slam the A3000 - just looking to get a true sense of its level relative to the current best-of-breed plasma. Trying to see if for about the same money I would be happier with a 60" A3000 or a 50" Kuros...
post #560 of 15318 Old 08-17-2007, 04:17 PM

Are those Pioneer sets not a thousand or more dollars than a comparable A3000?
post #561 of 15318 Old 08-17-2007, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Omg! I watched Apocalypto again, but this time on my A3000. This is what I have been looking for in HD. The way Insly described it like you are looking through a window or holding the camera is accurate.

This set has amazing PQ.

ooooo , oooooo i worked on that movie look for me in the credits

yeah i just watched it on blu ray on an A2020 and thought it looked amazing, i cant wait to see it on the new sets.
post #562 of 15318 Old 08-17-2007, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonK View Post

I would say the A3000 folks have a ways to go before they make a convincing argument beyond value for money with this set.

The 55" & 60" SXRD's are less expensive than a similarly sized Pio Plasma. The SXRD's also consume less power. The SXRD's are also considerably lighter. Image wise, I haven't seen either but I'm sure the difference in quality is no different than the last gen SXRD and Pio Plasma. That is... you may have a preference in how each technology displays an image.
post #563 of 15318 Old 08-17-2007, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Kelpie for your useful explanations of the tech involved with 120Hz playback - very lucid descriptions.

A past owner of a 50A2000 for all of 1 day last January (it started serving up neon green posterized faces after one hour of use, at which point it was returned), I'm still considering this tech (if it's better than last year's variant).

I wonder if the new A3000 owners can try toggling the 120HZ playback on/off if possible, and if not can those with experience with the older sets comment in detail about the perceived differences this introduces? On the surface it sounds like it would result in better smoothness of motion, but any new processing can add artifacts and often does so in its first iterations. I have seen comments wondering why Sony is putting this tech into SXRD sets in the first place since they don't have the refresh issues plaguing LCD screens or the phosphor trailing seen in some plasmas. (It would seem to be a good approach for dealing with 3:2 pulldown though).

Having read this thread as well as the new 8th-gen Pioneer Kuros plasma owner's thread ( all 116 pages!) I would say the A3000 folks have a ways to go before they make a convincing argument beyond value for money with this set. Some of the screen photos that have been posted of the new pio 5080 and 6010s in the last month or so over in that thread are just jaw dropping - they look like high res still photos from a magazine, something that can certainly not be said for the few photos of the A3000 found here. Obviously the camera used, photographer's knowledge and patience, and TV settings are all variables here but the differences are so dramatic. Can anyone who was seen both the Kuros and the A3000 compare on black levels/crush, sharpness, processing artifacts, impact of SSE on viewing? (Can't do this myself yet as the A3000's are yet to get up here).

I'm not trying to slam the A3000 - just looking to get a true sense of its level relative to the current best-of-breed plasma. Trying to see if for about the same money I would be happier with a 60" A3000 or a 50" Kuros...

Pictures on here mean nothing. Really they don't give a good or fair representation of a display.

I was looking at both the 60A3000 and Pioneer 6010 Kuro. Even with discounts the Pio is double the cost.
post #564 of 15318 Old 08-17-2007, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

There is no doubt that if I were a LeBron James, Tiger Woods or Bill Gates, I would have a high-end plasma hanging on every wall in my house. It's not always about absolute best video quality, but best quality (& size) for the price. This A3000 fits the latter, not only compared with other RPTV's available, but probably flat panels too. Of course, people with that much money don't care about burn-in or other issues us mere mortals worry about. If it happened, they'd simply throw it away and replace it.

If money is a factor and you want to decide between a 50" plasma or a 60" SXRD, I think the 60" would be the obvious choice depending on how far away you sit. If you wanted to compare the KDS-60A3000 vs the best-in-breed 60" plasma, then money must not be a variable, so few could fault you with buying a plasma. Although, being on the RPTV forum, I am obliged to say I would still take the LCOS RPTV.

-Robert

Edit: Even if I could afford a plasma on every wall in the house, I still think I would have the upcoming Sony 70" XBR5 in my "main" viewing room, if not some form of projector.
post #565 of 15318 Old 08-17-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedanewtv View Post

Are those Pioneer sets not a thousand or more dollars than a comparable A3000?

Best price on a 6010 that I was quoted on this forum is $2500 more than the best price I've seen for a 60A3000.
post #566 of 15318 Old 08-17-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valnar View Post

There is no doubt that if I were a LeBron James, Tiger Woods or Bill Gates, I would have a high-end plasma hanging on every wall in my house. It's not always about absolute best video quality, but best quality (& size) for the price. This A3000 fits the latter, not only compared with other RPTV's available, but probably flat panels too. Of course, people with that much money don't care about burn-in or other issues us mere mortals worry about. If it happened, they'd simply throw it away and replace it.

If money is a factor and you want to decide between a 50" plasma or a 60" SXRD, I think the 60" would be the obvious choice depending on how far away you sit. If you wanted to compare the KDS-60A3000 vs the best-in-breed 60" plasma, then money must not be a variable, so few could fault you with buying a plasma. Although, being on the RPTV forum, I am obliged to say I would still take the LCOS RPTV.

-Robert

Edit: Even if I could afford a plasma on every wall in the house, I still think I would have the upcoming Sony 70" XBR5 in my "main" viewing room, if not some form of projector.

I agree, while Plasmas have a great picture...for the size I wanted they were just WAY out of my price range. Pioneer makes GREAT plasmas, but I'm not ready or will ever be ready to spend THAT much money on a TV no matter how good the picture. I have other things to spend my money on like landscaping, car restoration, tracking cars, etc. I just want a good picture for a great price and this filled that bill. I just hope people don't get annoyed by me when I start asking stupid questions when I'm setting mine up. Totally a noob!
post #567 of 15318 Old 08-17-2007, 05:23 PM

So much for the "value for money" argument. I'll take the $2,500.
post #568 of 15318 Old 08-17-2007, 05:30 PM

Is the black frame/bezel shiny and reflective like on the Sammys? My girlfriend hates that look and it seems to be getting more and more popular.

Thanks!
post #569 of 15318 Old 08-17-2007, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah, I believe so. But the A3000 can also do more than that. With the A3000 you can also turn ON "Motionflow/Motion Enhancer" and/or "Motion Naturalizer" to further process the output to your taste if you choose. As I understand it, instead of just repeating a frame 5 times unchanged "Motionflow/Motion Enhancer" will interpolate/invent entirely new frames in an attempt to smooth the motion (but you risk introducing noise). Also as I interpret what Sony is saying, turning on "Motion Naturalizer" will insert black frames into the 24fps input in an attempt to make the output look more like a motion picture and presumably reduce flicker (but Sony cautions that you risk causing flicker with "Motion Natrualizer" ON).

Quote:

If so, then Cinemotion takes a 60fps signal and rather than double it to get 120fps it does reverse pulldown to get it back to 24fps? Then how does it get into 120fps for display? 24p TC again?

A very good question. Dunno for sure, but I kinda alluded to that in my comments on 24p True Cinema. When a TV network telecines a 24fps film source and broadcasts it at 1080i/60 all of that original 24fps is still there for you (in a quality source)- if the display can retreive it. I would hope that the Sony's processor could detect the 24fps content in the 1080i/60 signal, perform good-quality reverse 3:2 pulldown to retrieve the 24fps, deinterlace the interlaced signal properly for progressive scan output to the screen, and then display those 24 frames without further processing (i.e. without resorting to telecine again) at the display's 120Hz refresh rate. It seems to me like that's what a good display should do, but historically many displays seem to have had a hard time actually doing it.

(Apologies for any errors or omissions.)
post #570 of 15318 Old 08-17-2007, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee01 View Post

Best price on a 6010 that I was quoted on this forum is $2500 more than the best price I've seen for a 60A3000.

well roughly add those two up and that's close to what I spent on my GW III!!! I wish it would just die so I could get an A3000.!!! and an LCD for the bedroom
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Displays , KDS-55A3000 , Mitsubishi , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page