post #811 of 15263 Old 08-22-2007, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by vksf01 View Post

Although movies are captured at 24p for theatrical exhibition, they are usually transferred at 30fps for home video formats. Both HD DVD and Blu ray are capable of encoding at 24p but so far no HD DVD players have facilitated playback at anything but 30p.

Most films are mastered at 1080/24 to D5 or now HDSR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 15263 Old 08-22-2007, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by azblackace View Post

Going to be a fun night if the Wife leaves me alone.

You married someone that doesn't like TV??

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #813 of 15263 Old 08-22-2007, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pivcon View Post

I have seen this too on my 60A3000. My theory is that it is a reflection of light entering through the front of the TV off the mirrors/panels in the light unit inside the TV and the bounce back is most noticable in the center. This theory is based on: At night with no lights on, there is no such spot through all of the AVIA video tests (e.g. all the IRE field tests, needle patterns, etc.).

Further, I have I "torch lamp" behind my couch and it shoots light up onto a cathedral ceiling with a 30 degree slope, which unfortunately reflects the light back to the TV pretty directly. The lamp has a dimmer and If I play with the dimmmer i Can see a direct change in the spot on the TV (this isn't a screen surfact type reflection, it is clearly something that is going into the TV being defused and showing up as a light glow in the center of the screen with no reall "Definition" to it. Then I turned off all the lights, at night, and used a flash light and could get the spot to move in the center of the screen by moving the flash light around (I still bounced it off my ceiling and didn't directly put it into the TV).

I duplicated this test with my Mits 55" RP CRT TV and that TV has a more glossy screen protector and I get mostly a screen surface reflection that is so strong that I can't tell if I am getting a interior reflection as well.

During the day in a room full of windows this appears as a slight glow on a black screen and you may not think of it being the light in the room. See if you have the glow in a dark room with no substantial light sources.

I also do not see it even in a bright room if there is any normal video content on the screen. Just when there is a large IRE10 or lower black to gray area covering the center of the screen, and again, only if there is substantial light in the room. I am going to try to determine which angle the entry is from by blocking light on top/left/right and see if it is mostly affected by one entry point.

I don't think this is a geometry issue, I do think it may be due to the shorten depth of the cabinet. Its not geometry in that its not a bowing of the video being sent to the screen. But it could be the cabinet's interior angles/mirrors are such that light coming in from outside can bounce around hit the panels and bounce back to the screen as this glow.

Finally, I can see the glow when the TV is off if I have a light source on and can't if the light source is not there. As the TV is off and the lamp is off in the TV, I think this makes it pretty conclusive that the glow I am seeing is not coming from a source inside the TV.

It is a disappointing coming from them "I hope the A3000 is technically picture perfect" but given the price, size, other features, and the great PQ and the fact I don't notice this when watching my movies at night in my dim room, its not a deal breaker for me. However, if anyone said on this board it was something they got resolved with a replacement or a repair, I would get in line for the same thing.

This is a normal external light reflecting inside the chassis where the mirrors are. This can be seen at any retail place on most RPTV's. I don't understand why you guys are thinking this is only the A3000. Just go to BB or CC to the rear projection area and look at them when off or in black screen. It's perfectly normal. The Mitsubishi's, Sammy's, Sony's etc all have the reflection normally just off center.
post #814 of 15263 Old 08-22-2007, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

You married someone that doesn't like TV??

Oh she loves TV just not me tweaking around to my hearts content.
post #815 of 15263 Old 08-22-2007, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr View Post

This is a normal external light reflecting inside the chassis where the mirrors are. This can be seen at any retail place on most RPTV's. I don't understand why you guys are thinking this is only the A3000. Just go to BB or CC to the rear projection area and look at them when off or in black screen. It's perfectly normal. The Mitsubishi's, Sammy's, Sony's etc all have the reflection normally just off center.

Just for the record I didn't think it was just the A3000. It is just more eerie with my A3000 then my 55" Mits CRT RP.

I am very pleased with this TV so far. I watched my first Blu-ray 1080P/24fps movie last night and it was very nice not to have judder. That always annoyed me on my 55" as it would distract me from the movie. It was much more natural. I tried all motion enhancer too and it is interesting. One some content it looks better and on others it looks different than I am used to. Not willing to say if is worse or better, its different. I am going to run it for a week or so on and then go back and watch the same thing on my 7 year old 55" CRT RP so I can be reminded what judder looks like in its full glory.

I also was very happy with my Avia calibration session. It took me 15 minutes vs. hours and it wouldn't of even take 15 minutes if the dang introductions to each test were not 5 minutes long. I wish they would just have a mode that showed the test and had text reminding you what you have to do and what control to change to do it and then if you hit next chapter the text would go away. I don't have much patience to listen to the slow speaking announcer. Thankfully the PS3 can playback at 1.5x with audio which made it more bareable. I had just minor corrections to my settings to calibrate to the basic AVIA calibration. All of my geometry and gray bars/IRE tests looked great. I ran them again on my old 55" and then on my A3000 and after being reminded about the blooming, convergence issues, red push (3db on my 55"), it felt good to know how much the technology has progressed.
post #816 of 15263 Old 08-22-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azblackace View Post

The only negative I have so far is the fan seems to be a little louder then what I was hoping for.

Scratch that on the fan noise. I totally spaced the set being hot from delivery truck...gotta love the Arizona heat.

Let it cool and when I got home from work...fantastic.
post #817 of 15263 Old 08-22-2007, 07:24 PM

I saw the tv today at Best Buy... Very good picture on it.. It compared well to the A2020 and XBR2.

I didnt see any issues with reflections or ghosting of images.

The display was pretty bright, and the viewing angle was exceptionally wide..

unfortunately the video feed to it was horrible... The only good feed in the whole store came from blu-ray and hd-dvd players.

Form what I saw though, the set was pretty good...
post #818 of 15263 Old 08-22-2007, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknomo View Post

I saw the tv today at Best Buy... Very good picture on it.. It compared well to the A2020 and XBR2.

I didnt see any issues with reflections or ghosting of images.

The display was pretty bright, and the viewing angle was exceptionally wide..

unfortunately the video feed to it was horrible... The only good feed in the whole store came from blu-ray and hd-dvd players.

Form what I saw though, the set was pretty good...

you said exceptionally wide....better than a2020? brightness/clarity compared to 2020? hopefully this weekend they will be up here in MA widespread
post #819 of 15263 Old 08-22-2007, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallas View Post

I have a large center speaker (9 1/2" tall) and the only stand I could find that fit was the Bush 74377. Also needed around 7 1/2" for the 5300ES I am waiting on for the bottom shelf.

You are going to have some trouble with that stand...the top shelf is 7.01" and the bottom shelf is 6.82"

I would suggest the Bush VS11560 to anyone with a large Center speaker. The lower compartment is 10" high and there is a partial upper with 7.6" which would hold the cable box. Stand height is 22.48" and it's under four hundred dollars.

A better choice might be the BDI 8027 which is 18" high with a single shelf underneath with a 10" opening. Perfect for the
60A3000
post #820 of 15263 Old 08-22-2007, 08:26 PM

Hi all - I got my replacement set delivered today, so that part went smooth.

I have a question for those of you with sets. When you watch SD in standard mode (not stretched or zoomed), do you see a thin white line on each side of the picture (where it ends and the grey/black bars begin). I don't remember that with my first set, and I'm worried somethings off.

Thanks a bunch.
post #821 of 15263 Old 08-22-2007, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamil212 View Post

Well, I just called the Magnolia center in BB and they told me the 50A3000s are not in stock in any of the stores yet but available for order. I checked on their website and it's finally listed (it wasn't listed yesterday). Store availability shows nothing in the Chicagoland area but the delivery option show Tuesday the 28th as the first available delivery date.

I thought I saw all three sizes side-by-side in the Indy / Caslteton Best Buy yesterday.
post #822 of 15263 Old 08-22-2007, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reio-ta View Post

Preach it. This is a non-issue. Move on. Even on my CRT I will see these same exact reflections. It's caused by about four things:

1) If you're not EXACTLY 100% perpendicular to the tv with your eyes
2) In a dark enough room to see it
3) You have your set slightly too bright
4) Gamma isn't adjusted perfect

If you're seated properly and have the tv's brightness, contrast and gamma all set correctly, the problem goes away 100%. Your alternative is watch the tv in a bright enough room to not see it.

Not sure what to tell you...
My settings ared own below 40% and I still see it.

Perhaps after AVIA/DVE......

post #823 of 15263 Old 08-22-2007, 10:03 PM

I picked up my 60" today at BB, the ony one in stock
It looks great, I have not had time to change any settings yet. It looks good out of the box. Looking forward a pro calibration posting

I didn't buy BB warranty $400 4 years, Mack is $210 and on Sony site it can be had for about the same. I never buy a warranty on anything I purchase, cars etc. Don't you feel that if its going to crap out it would do it in the first year? It took 11 years for my crt Mitsi to crap out. $ 200 should cover a bulb that may outlast the extra warranty coverage.

I am not up with all the new tech stuff thats out now so forgive me if I ask a dumb question in the future
post #824 of 15263 Old 08-22-2007, 10:39 PM

Is there a stand that Sony makes that will fit this tv?

will this one work?

Sony SU-RS11X
post #825 of 15263 Old 08-23-2007, 03:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by half moon View Post

I picked up my 60" today at BB, the ony one in stock
It looks great, I have not had time to change any settings yet. It looks good out of the box. Looking forward a pro calibration posting

I didn't buy BB warranty $400 4 years, Mack is $210 and on Sony site it can be had for about the same. I never buy a warranty on anything I purchase, cars etc. Don't you feel that if its going to crap out it would do it in the first year? It took 11 years for my crt Mitsi to crap out. $ 200 should cover a bulb that may outlast the extra warranty coverage.

I am not up with all the new tech stuff thats out now so forgive me if I ask a dumb question in the future

Acquiring an extended warranty that's transferable can assist in resale process if your a regular upgrader every year or two and can expedite a sale and lesson the loss of being an addicted early adopter to some extent but as you hinted you can shop around for the extd wrnty also. It's much more difficult to do a resale with zero coverage to the buyer. JMO. For those that plan on simply enjoying it for years it may prove unnecessary.

To give you an example is I have a terrific Sharp 45" LCD (pre-banding model) that I used one year and paid $3800 for new back then and failed to extend the warranty for resale and I'll lose far more in a resale offering it up with zero coverage versus my 57" which has a 3 yr extention. It just gets that much harder to risk ones cash on something with no coverage protection even though my experience LCD's run trouble free for many years. So for those of us that upgrade yes we eat losses but it can minimize or lessen the impact and expedite a sale to do the upgrade with a transferable warranty packaged with it. Yes, many of us belong in the AVS Twelve Step program!

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #826 of 15263 Old 08-23-2007, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

Acquiring an extended warranty that's transferable can assist in resale process if your a regular upgrader every year or two and can expedite a sale and lesson the loss of being an addicted early adopter to some extent but as you hinted you can shop around for the extd wrnty also. It's much more difficult to do a resale with zero coverage to the buyer. JMO. For those that plan on simply enjoying it for years it may prove unnecessary.

Wow! I'm an National SME in Probabilistic Risk Analysis and this is the only decent reason I've ever heard for buying an extended warranty! Let's face it, if you can't afford to replace a $250 bulb, you probably can't afford to buy the TV in the first place.

Now, back to A3000 talk.
post #827 of 15263 Old 08-23-2007, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by half moon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwswager View Post

Wow! I'm an National SME in Probabilistic Risk Analysis and this is the only decent reason I've ever heard for buying an extended warranty! Let's face it, if you can't afford to replace a $250 bulb, you probably can't afford to buy the TV in the first place.

Now, back to A3000 talk.

And this is whyI got the warrenty. I paid for that bulb by buying the ex warrenty. Now that I'm going on my third light engine (with no$$ from my pocket) I may be getting a new TV, and I get the credit back for what I paid for it.

I have had 3-4 years of NON STOP WONDERFUL TV watching on this set (and I've bought a 3rd bulb too)

It makes sence to get at least something.
Hence why I'm following this thread closly, I'm looking at this set to replace the GWIII
post #828 of 15263 Old 08-23-2007, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwswager View Post

Now, back to A3000 talk.

With no disrespect to your profession, there are many reasons to get an extended warranty on a RPTV. Getting a free bulb is only one of them. Simply put, they have never been, nor will they ever be as reliable as a toaster.

Robert
post #829 of 15263 Old 08-23-2007, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coil0110 View Post

SELPHJ
Please post your 360 1080p impressions. One of the reasons I am so interested in this set is its ability to do 1080p over component so I don't need to get a new 360. Now if I can only get a 50" before Halo 3

Well I got my 60a3000 delivered yesterday. I hooked up the 360 through component and set for 1080p. The colors were too bright, so I first turned from Vivid to Custom. I put Starwars Episode III DVD in the 360, and went to the THX Optimizer going through the basics. I'm no expert but I adjusted the TV to satisfaction. I also put Lord of the Rings DVD in the 360 and it looked great. I went through and found that turning most of the TV features off were best, like the motion stuff. I did not have a ton of time to just sit and watch a movie though. The games from the 360 seem excellent so far but I haven't done much gaming on it yet either. It's very quiet, much more quiet than my old xs955 for sure. The picture is great and I'm very happy with the set.
Not many negatives. I thought you could make custom labels for inputs now but it seems on the a3000 you can't. I could not find it and that is a minor disappointment. The cross media bar thing is ok but I'd prefer a basic menu.
post #830 of 15263 Old 08-23-2007, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valnar View Post

With no disrespect to your profession, there are many reasons to get an extended warranty on a RPTV. Getting a free bulb is only one of them. Simply put, they have never been, nor will they ever be as reliable as a toaster.

Robert

High-priced, new technology TVs, especially RPTV, are the only thing that Consumer Reports has ever suggested buying a warranty.

I did not get one on my $1200 Panny 42' plasma, but would definitley get one on a $3000-5000 RPTV for my peace of mind.

I think everyone has a different risk tolerance, but most here seem to get a warranty on the SXRDs (maybe left over from green blob days?).
post #831 of 15263 Old 08-23-2007, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reio-ta View Post

Have you put it on the lowest gamma setting and still see it? Those pictures look exactly like what my CRT does when I put it on gamma 3 out of, 0, 1, 2 and 3.

Gama is at the bottom... maybe I will just call and "demand a calibration"

post #832 of 15263 Old 08-23-2007, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highheater View Post

High-priced, new technology TVs, especially RPTV, are the only thing that Consumer Reports has ever suggested buying a warranty.

I did not get one on my $1200 Panny 42' plasma, but would definitley get one on a $3000-5000 RPTV for my peace of mind.

I think everyone has a different risk tolerance, but most here seem to get a warranty on the SXRDs (maybe left over from green blob days?).

I agree, a warranty is wise for microdisplays. Unfortunately, it looks especially important on the sony units. One guy that has blogged about it:
http://itmanager.blogs.com/notes/200...xrd_hdtv_.html
post #833 of 15263 Old 08-23-2007, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 429
I am active duty Airforce and worked at Best Buy for 6 years and if I was to say from a store what the best warranty is available it would be Circuit Citys. The difference with theirs from BB is that you do not lose all your money you paid when you have to replace your display. If you have a display go in 2 years and you have a 5 year city advantage you get pro rated 3 years that was remaining on that CA. 3 time lemon law that means if it has to be serviced 3 times(not the same thing and this includes if the bulb has to be changed whether it prematurely went out or normal wear and tear) I recommend it on microdisplays more then I do on any other display type. But I reccommend it to all the customers just so they have the info to at least decide if they want it or not and understand what the possibilities are.

The 5.0 is here
post #834 of 15263 Old 08-23-2007, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

To everyone looking at the 55" or 60" in a store:

If you visit any store with both displayed next to each other, see if you can set them both to the same settings in the menu (standard, not vivid) and compare the color & saturation. I did this with a 55/60" A2020 and noticed a considerable drop in sharpness, contrast and realism with the 60". It looked washed out compared to the 55".

I don't know if it was that particular sample in the store, or if the 120w lamp is underpowered for the 60", but the salesman agreed with me. He noticed it since it was put on display. (This was a HD feed through HDMI.)

I'm hoping the 60" A3000 doesn't suffer from the same problem. Please provide feedback if you can do this comparison. For my living room, I could buy either and just move couch the closer. I want the better TV, regardless of size.

(Note: If you have the 60" at home and are not comparing it to the 55", you may not notice it at all)

Robert
post #835 of 15263 Old 08-23-2007, 09:07 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valnar View Post

To everyone looking at the 55" or 60" in a store:

If you visit any store with both displayed next to each other, see if you can set them both to the same settings in the menu (standard, not vivid) and compare the color & saturation. I did this with a 55/60" A2020 and noticed a considerable drop in sharpness, contrast and realism with the 60". It looked washed out compared to the 55".

I don't know if it was that particular sample in the store, or if the 120w lamp is underpowered for the 60", but the salesman agreed with me. He noticed it since it was put on display. (This was a HD feed through HDMI.)

I'm hoping the 60" A3000 doesn't suffer from the same problem. Please provide feedback if you can do this comparison. For my living room, I could buy either and just move couch the closer. I want the better TV, regardless of size.

(Note: If you have the 60" at home and are not comparing it to the 55", you may not notice it at all)

Robert

I don't think what you did proves anything, each set is going to vary. If you really want to compare bring DVE with you and adjust each set to the test patterns then compare. Just placing the settings at the same point for each TV isn't the way to compare.

Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Pioneer Elite AVR
Energy Connoisseur Series Speakers
SVS Sub
Xbox360
Panasonic Blu-ray
Apple TV3
post #836 of 15263 Old 08-23-2007, 10:14 AM

Liked: 13
My 0.02. How long do you plan on keeping the set? With the rapid change in technology from year to year, the manufactures do not expend a lot of money in spare parts. If you set is out of warranty and the parts are no longer available - you are screwed. On the other hand if your extended warranty is still in effect, then depending upon the warranty coverage, you do have some type of recourse.

Just something to think about.
post #837 of 15263 Old 08-23-2007, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

I am active duty Airforce and worked at Best Buy for 6 years and if I was to say from a store what the best warranty is available it would be Circuit Citys. The difference with theirs from BB is that you do not lose all your money you paid when you have to replace your display. If you have a display go in 2 years and you have a 5 year city advantage you get pro rated 3 years that was remaining on that CA. 3 time lemon law that means if it has to be serviced 3 times(not the same thing and this includes if the bulb has to be changed whether it prematurely went out or normal wear and tear) I recommend it on microdisplays more then I do on any other display type. But I reccommend it to all the customers just so they have the info to at least decide if they want it or not and understand what the possibilities are.

At CC when you get a new replacement display, if you get your money returned from the unused portion of the warranty, are you left with an unwarranted replacement TV?

I can't really see them replacing the TV, returning the money of the unused portion of the warranty on the original TV, but still covering the replacement for some period of time for free.

As an aside question, for those getting swap outs from BB or CC, does your extended warranty cover the new set?
post #838 of 15263 Old 08-23-2007, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selphj View Post

Well I got my 60a3000 delivered yesterday. I hooked up the 360 through component and set for 1080p. The colors were too bright, so I first turned from Vivid to Custom. I put Starwars Episode III DVD in the 360, and went to the THX Optimizer going through the basics. I'm no expert but I adjusted the TV to satisfaction. I also put Lord of the Rings DVD in the 360 and it looked great. I went through and found that turning most of the TV features off were best, like the motion stuff. I did not have a ton of time to just sit and watch a movie though. The games from the 360 seem excellent so far but I haven't done much gaming on it yet either. It's very quiet, much more quiet than my old xs955 for sure. The picture is great and I'm very happy with the set.
Not many negatives. I thought you could make custom labels for inputs now but it seems on the a3000 you can't. I could not find it and that is a minor disappointment. The cross media bar thing is ok but I'd prefer a basic menu.

If you look in the owner's manual (page 42), it says that you can label your inputs like all Sony HDTVs. I haven't taken delivery of mine to confirm this, but I wouldn't think that this would be a dropped feature.
post #839 of 15263 Old 08-23-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesns69 View Post

If you look in the owner's manual (page 42), it says that you can label your inputs like all Sony HDTVs. I haven't taken delivery of mine to confirm this, but I wouldn't think that this would be a dropped feature.

Yeah that's what I was going on when I tried it. Page 42. But if you hit + twice, all you are able to do is scroll through the premade list of Game, DVD, etc. It won't let you enter characters. I've seen this done on a 2020 before, and I can't believe it's not there on the new 3000. But following the directions on 42 doesn't allow you to enter any characters. Open to advice, I really want mine to say Xbox 360.
post #840 of 15263 Old 08-23-2007, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highheater View Post

At CC when you get a new replacement display, if you get your money returned from the unused portion of the warranty, are you left with an unwarranted replacement TV?

I can't really see them replacing the TV, returning the money of the unused portion of the warranty on the original TV, but still covering the replacement for some period of time for free.

As an aside question, for those getting swap outs from BB or CC, does your extended warranty cover the new set?

usually, they refund you your purchase price plus tax (of the tv itself). That's it. It's usually a gift card and you can hopefully get something more recent for it.
(This coming from a former Officemax employee where we had NEW as the service plan provider. BB has AIGWG, but it looks like the same deal)
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony , Mitsubishi , Playstation 3 160gb System , Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page