Official Sony KDS-XXA3000 OWNERS THREAD! - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 15273 Old 08-28-2007, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

So A3000 owners, I need your help. Has anyone used their TV in conjunction with a computer to bring up websites; and if so, how do they look?

I too was in the market for an HDTV to use as a PC monitor. Although I'm very pleased with this set overall, I've given up any attempts to use it with my PC.

The ghosting is just that bad.

I've seen it on all A3000's I've seen in person (by simply bringing up the menu) and after comparing to other RPTV's the effect is *much* more pronounced on this model.

Look back to this old post for a screen shot: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=770

In my opinion, this TV is unusable as a PC monitor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 15273 Old 08-28-2007, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiyman View Post

We already know it was $1999, but what size did you get??

6 posts above yours.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #1083 of 15273 Old 08-28-2007, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moatist View Post

I too was in the market for an HDTV to use as a PC monitor. Although I'm very pleased with this set overall, I've given up any attempts to use it with my PC.

I've seen it on all A3000's I've seen in person (by simply bringing up the menu) and after comparing to other RPTV's the effect is *much* more pronounced on this model.

Look back to this old post for a screen shot: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=770

So what about XBOX 360 or PS3 games? Do these show up well?

Great sound is only 1000's of $$$'s away!
post #1084 of 15273 Old 08-28-2007, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm just curious if any of the owners have played around the Motion Enhancer settings? I've been trying each setting out to see what looks best. When you put it on high for a Blu-ray or even an HD channel, it looks almost too good. The foreground looks really good and in focus, but the background seems like it's a little off. The Motion Enhancer causes it to look a little more 3D and at the same time almost like it's fake or over-processed, like computer animation or something. When you first see Motion Enhancer on high, you're really impressed, but then it definitely feels like something is off a little. Anybody have a similar experience? I just trying to find the best settings for my TV for now and then eventually after break-in, I'm going to get it ISF calibrated. Also, has anybody tried the Motion Naturalizer? On Blu-ray at 1080p/24 it causes the picture to flicker. On my satellite channels, I really didn't notice much of a change, but then again I haven't played around with that setting too much to notice if it's better or worse. I just switched it back to off until I got some opinions. From what I understand the CineMotion setting is for the 3:2 pull down of film not in 1080p/24, like off of satellite or cable, but I just leave that on auto. Anybody have any comments or suggestions or is there someone that has more of an engineering or electronics background to elaborate on these features? Thank you
post #1085 of 15273 Old 08-28-2007, 06:12 PM

Quote:

So what about XBOX 360 or PS3 games? Do these show up well?

Playing games on the PS3 looks great. I don't have much to compare against, but I've been very happy with the gaming picture.
post #1086 of 15273 Old 08-28-2007, 06:27 PM

I can't find a Best Buy in Southern California that has the 50A3000 or the 55A3000. I can't fit the 60" model either (looking thru their website). Does anyone know if theres any other stores that might carry the sets, or if BB's website is wrong? thanks!
post #1087 of 15273 Old 08-28-2007, 06:36 PM

You can't "find" or you can't "fit"?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1183767274580
post #1088 of 15273 Old 08-28-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moatist View Post

Moatist - Thanks for your reply.
How were you connecting to your computer to your A3000 when you were testing this?
post #1089 of 15273 Old 08-28-2007, 07:23 PM

Quote:
How were you connecting to your computer to your A3000 when you were testing this?

The day I got the TV, I tried DVI->HDMI. However, after my initial attempts failed, I switched to VGA just to see the results.

Honestly, I was very disappointed with the display (because of the ghosting) and initially blamed it on the VGA.

After noticing the same effect on different inputs, however, I believe DVI will display the same effects - though I haven't been able to confirm myself.

Again, the haze can be seen on all input modes, given that the conditions are correct. Bright text on a dark background. Things like movie credits, websites, Desktop icons, etc...

Thankfully, the conditions don't arise much while watching normal content.
post #1090 of 15273 Old 08-28-2007, 07:36 PM

After reading all the pages on this thread, and comparing several others that i was thinking about on various other threads...i pulled the trigger on the 60A3000. Got BB to match the TD price! Comparing other sets in the stores also helped. Thanks to everyone who posted their comments. Also my local BB was selling this for $100 less than the MSRP shown on bestbuy.com ..dont know if its nationwide.
post #1091 of 15273 Old 08-28-2007, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brophog View Post

You can't "find" or you can't "fit"?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1183767274580

Sorry for the typo, I meant to say I couldn't fit the 60".

So the question remains:

I can't find a Best Buy in Southern California that has the 50A3000 or the 55A3000. I can't fit the 60" model either (looking thru their website). Does anyone know if theres any other stores that might carry the sets, or if BB's website is wrong? thanks!
post #1092 of 15273 Old 08-28-2007, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

It sounds like your TV is a mess. I would ask for a swap. Sony's ability to have these units repaired in the field seems to be poor.

I agree. Do not get me wrong I've LOVED the TV (till now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad View Post

You're having these problems with an A3000 already?

No it's a GW III but I'm looking at the A3000 as my replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by codywan24 View Post

He is talking about his GWIII I believe, not an A3000.

Bingo
this is the third Optical block/light engineand this is how it looks. Tis IS A GWIII NOT AN A3000 FYI and it is a worst case shot. but I know it's there and now I look for it.

FYI I'm not dissing Sony, and like I said I'm looking at the A3000 as a replacement, but GET a WARRANTY I'm GLAD I DID
post #1093 of 15273 Old 08-28-2007, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=gu=- View Post

In a different thread here in AVSforum.com (HTPC thread) I posted a request for help in spec'ing out a PC to attach to a 60A3000 which I will be taking deliver on in September.

In describing what I wanted to do with the computer I said I wanted to watch movies, do some light gaming - and to surf the internet.

A senior member of the HTPC thread replied with:
"Right off the top, you'll never surf the net on a 60" tv set up for HDTV viewing and gaming."

A short time ago I sent him a private message asking him to explain his comment but I haven't heard back from him yet.

Here where I work, we have a 42" LG LCD screen in a conference room that we use all the time for bringing up PDFs, spreadsheets and websites. I don't understand why it wouldn't not only work, but look great on the A3000.

So A3000 owners, I need your help. Has anyone used their TV in conjunction with a computer to bring up websites; and if so, how do they look?

Any\\all comments would be appreciated. Perhaps I'm totally missing something here.

Thanks!

I am using my 60A3000 almost exclusively as a monitor. I have not had problems surfing the web, checking email, browsing forums , or using it as a monitor for PC games. Text is crisp and I have no problems reading it. I sit about 8 feet or so away. I am very pleased and I am using it at this moment. I use it for a HTPC. Almost forgot, I use Word and Excel on here as well along with a little photo editing. I am using HDMI to DVI. If there is something in particular you would like me to take a picture of, let me know and I will do my best to get you a good shot. In my experiences it is difficult to get a good picture to do a TV justice from a small screen shot. I play UT2004, Titan Quest, and a couple of other games so far. My computer is an AMD 3800X2 with 2GB ram, 500GB hard drive, Nvidia 7300GT video card, OnAir GT and Hauppage 1600 tuner cards. This is not my normal gaming rig, thus the specs, but it works fine for what I need it for. My son plays his Wii on it an it looks surprisingly good for a 480P signal, not to mention how much fun the Wii is to begin with.

Brian
post #1094 of 15273 Old 08-28-2007, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc3ll View Post

So the question remains:

There are at least 5 Best Buys here in San Diego that have them in stock. I have a 50" being delivered on Friday. I have not seen them at Tweeter or Circuit City.
post #1095 of 15273 Old 08-28-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc3ll View Post

So the question remains:

I checked Temecula (I lived there until not too long ago) and the best buy shows the 55" in stock.

The zip code is 92591

It's also in stock , according to BB, in Murrieta which is right next to Temecula.

In case you're not sure where these towns are , they are just north of San Diego on the 15. Basically just over the San Diego County/Riverside County line in Riverside County.
post #1096 of 15273 Old 08-28-2007, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

I have a couple questions to everybody in general...

1) To check if BB has these things in stock, are you using the Best Buy website, adding the TV to the cart, then checking store availability?

2) For those who have successfully gotten Best Buy to price match to the TD price, did you have to do lots of haggling? What did you do exactly?

Thanks everybody.

If you've had half as much fun reading this post as I've had writing it, well then, I've had twice as much fun writing this post as you've had reading it.
post #1097 of 15273 Old 08-28-2007, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanerman View Post

I have a couple questions to everybody in general...

1) To check if BB has these things in stock, are you using the Best Buy website, adding the TV to the cart, then checking store availability?

2) For those who have successfully gotten Best Buy to price match to the TD price, did you have to do lots of haggling? What did you do exactly?

Thanks everybody.

1. Yes, I added it to cart then checked availability.

2. No idea, I plan on doing it as well this weekend but it seems that most are successful.
post #1098 of 15273 Old 08-28-2007, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby1 View Post

I am using my 60A3000 almost exclusively as a monitor. I have not had problems surfing the web, checking email, browsing forums , or using it as a monitor for PC games. Text is crisp and I have no problems reading it. I sit about 8 feet or so away. I am very pleased and I am using it at this moment. I use it for a HTPC. Almost forgot, I use Word and Excel on here as well along with a little photo editing. I am using HDMI to DVI. If there is something in particular you would like me to take a picture of, let me know and I will do my best to get you a good shot. In my experiences it is difficult to get a good picture to do a TV justice from a small screen shot. I play UT2004, Titan Quest, and a couple of other games so far. My computer is an AMD 3800X2 with 2GB ram, 500GB hard drive, Nvidia 7300GT video card, OnAir GT and Hauppage 1600 tuner cards. This is not my normal gaming rig, thus the specs, but it works fine for what I need it for. My son plays his Wii on it an it looks surprisingly good for a 480P signal, not to mention how much fun the Wii is to begin with.

Brian

Could you perhaps take a picture showing how gametrailers.com looks on it?

I will be hooking up my alienware to it. I have an ok graphics card, but its rather old by now. I think its a ATI Radeon X850 256MB.

btw I realize now that big screen HDTVs are not as big as they used to be. I expected todays 56" to look like 65s and 60s to look like 70s and so on and so forth.

So with that said I wanted to pick up the 60" a3000 if I went with Sony and was wondering if my $2200 budget could handle this tv and a stand ofcourse? How much did you pay for yours?
post #1099 of 15273 Old 08-29-2007, 12:02 AM
Advanced Member

Currently I'm deciding between the 60a3000, the 65 inch Mitsubishi 833, and the Samsung LED 6189S. What are the pros/cons of the 60a3000 versus the other two? I know not much has gotten out about the Mitsu yet, but the Samsung's been out awhile now. I like the look of the Sony, I like Sony televisions, and price wise is a wash for the most part. Have there been any persistent build issues so far? Anyone want to take a stab at convincing me the a3000 is the choice I should go with?
post #1100 of 15273 Old 08-29-2007, 12:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone been able to compare the "motion enhancer" feature of the A3000 to the Sammy 71 series LCD with "auto motion plus"?
I've seen the Sammy and movies look sick. It's that good. Wondering how the A3000 compares.
post #1101 of 15273 Old 08-29-2007, 12:58 AM

Liked: 11
To all that have successfully price matched Tech Depot, how exactly are you proving the price to the BB clerks? Printing the page from the web-site? Just curious what route I should take.

Thanks.
post #1102 of 15273 Old 08-29-2007, 01:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr View Post

Has anyone been able to compare the "motion enhancer" feature of the A3000 to the Sammy 71 series LCD with "auto motion plus"?
I've seen the Sammy and movies look sick. It's that good. Wondering how the A3000 compares.

I haven't seen any of the Sammy LCDs in action, but the Motion Enhancer on the A3000 is incredible. What I'm trying to figure out is if putting the setting on high is too much. I was hoping to get some other opinions, because I like the setting on high at first, but then it looks so good I start to look for flaws and wonder if it isn't just a bit overkill. I'm not an expert on HDTVs, but I'm on my forth one and this Sony is the best. Can somebody with an A3000 please play a Blu-ray at 1080p/24 with the Motion Enhancer on high and tell me if it looks over-processed or is it too good to be true?
post #1103 of 15273 Old 08-29-2007, 03:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesns69 View Post

I haven't seen any of the Sammy LCDs in action, but the Motion Enhancer on the A3000 is incredible. What I'm trying to figure out is if putting the setting on high is too much. I was hoping to get some other opinions, because I like the setting on high at first, but then it looks so good I start to look for flaws and wonder if it isn't just a bit overkill. I'm not an expert on HDTVs, but I'm on my forth one and this Sony is the best. Can somebody with an A3000 please play a Blu-ray at 1080p/24 with the Motion Enhancer on high and tell me if it looks over-processed or is it too good to be true?

On the Sammy i had it set to low, then medium. High didn't look right. I would imagine that the A3000 is best at "standard" after reading the manual. The Sammy looked 3D watching "Pearl Harbor" with auto motion plus. I am just trying to get a feeling on the Sony "motion enhancer".
post #1104 of 15273 Old 08-29-2007, 03:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Now that many people have these sets, can we get some various AVIA results of where to put the settings? I know each set is different, but a consensus on the general ballpark may help those of us who want to jump into a BB or CC store and set the display models quickly to "good" settings.

Robert
post #1105 of 15273 Old 08-29-2007, 05:27 AM

Hey Gumby1, thanks for weighing in on this.

If you get a moment, I'd like to see what an avsforum.com thread looks like as an example of something texty - white background black text. You are not seeing what others have reported, eh? ... the shaddow images? Really encouraged that yours is working well as a monitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby1 View Post

Brian

post #1106 of 15273 Old 08-29-2007, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmerly View Post

Currently I'm deciding between the 60a3000, the 65 inch Mitsubishi 833, and the Samsung LED 6189S. What are the pros/cons of the 60a3000 versus the other two? I know not much has gotten out about the Mitsu yet, but the Samsung's been out awhile now. I like the look of the Sony, I like Sony televisions, and price wise is a wash for the most part. Have there been any persistent build issues so far? Anyone want to take a stab at convincing me the a3000 is the choice I should go with?

Check out this thread. It may answer some of your questions, but I'd also recommend looking at each of the model's owner's threads (if you haven't already). I was choosing between those exact 3 models (see thread link above), and I along with the majority of those who took the poll I created, are planning on going with the A3000.

Mine should arrive any minute now.

Hope that helps...
post #1107 of 15273 Old 08-29-2007, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdrex28 View Post

1. Yes, I added it to cart then checked availability.

2. No idea, I plan on doing it as well this weekend but it seems that most are successful.

No need to add to cart, after you've found it, below "add to cart" you'll see "check delivery availability," below that "store pickup, select preferred store availability."

Click there, enter zip, and voila.
post #1108 of 15273 Old 08-29-2007, 06:36 AM

For the Best Buy price match, simply print out the page from tech depot. Be sure to mention that its also office depot, and sports the office depot logo (a brick and mortar company). You can also call up the number listed in the online FAQ, and they will price match anywhere online.

BTW, you may want the techdepot page to say "in stock" when you print, or make it say in stock.. Not sure if they will even catch it, but they are only supposed to price match on in stock items.

If you buy in store, they have a 2 year best buy card financing deal.

Circuit City also price matches, and some other stores do as well.
post #1109 of 15273 Old 08-29-2007, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parallax1 View Post

To all that have successfully price matched Tech Depot, how exactly are you proving the price to the BB clerks? Printing the page from the web-site? Just curious what route I should take.

Thanks.

I'm also curious to know how this has worked for people... are you just printing the TD price/cart and taking this into the BB store?
post #1110 of 15273 Old 08-29-2007, 07:25 AM

Oh no! I've become invisible!
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Displays , KDS-55A3000 , Mitsubishi , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page