post #13621 of 15290 Old 02-06-2010, 12:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by parallax1 View Post

I bought mine at Electrified.com. Probably the same ones that they are selling elsewhere and on ebay. I still have my original bulb in (while waiting for replacement) and it hasn't flickered at all.

Mine is NOT flickering and I got mine from AdvancedLamps.com. A few months ago, I had ordered a replacement from them, just in case... And suddenly I needed to use it. My original Philips didn't even last halfway to the promised 8,000 hours. Now, tonight, I've just ordered another replacement to have on hand, just in case.

I've been very pleased with their bulb so far. That's why I'm ordering a 2nd one.

lamp | bulb + housing $88 + $11 s&h = $99.

Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13622 of 15290 Old 02-06-2010, 10:32 AM

Liked: 10
Got mine off amazon, it was just the Phillips bulb brand new in box. I put it in the old housing myself. I can see how someone may think its an auto focus issue because sometimes the flicker will slow down and speed up as if the auto wasn't working right. It can definitely look mechanical at times. Maybe it isn't the bulb at all and I just never noticed it. Regardless its aggravating that after I finally get a decent calibration on my set this starts happening.
post #13623 of 15290 Old 02-06-2010, 10:36 AM

Yeah, I think when I need a bulb, I'll bite the bullet and pay more for the one directly from Sony. Haven't really heard any flickering issues from those.
post #13624 of 15290 Old 02-06-2010, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hello,
Well it seems my dozen of pro A3000 remarks meant karmically little as I now have the Green Blob on the right side of the display.

What I do not know what to do is whether to use my BB Extended Warranty in hopes of getting a replacement display or use Sony's Extended OB Warranty
These sets are cursed and pieces of excrement.
AD.

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #13625 of 15290 Old 02-06-2010, 03:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork View Post

Hello,
Well it seems my dozen of pro A3000 remarks meant karmically little as I now have the Green Blob on the right side of the display.

What I do not know what to do is whether to use my BB Extended Warranty in hopes of getting a replacement display or use Sony's Extended OB Warranty
AD.

I guess it just depends on how much faith you have in replacement blocks and how much you want to keep the set. It seems the replacement blocks end up failing much faster and I cannot fathom the hassle of having it replaced over and over as so very many reports suggest. In addition, I don't like having that concern in the back of my mind. You could go for a replacement LCD and sell it, using that money for another display (unless you want to keep it). Another option is to wait until Sony's new 60" LCDs come out and try replacing it for one of those although you'll likely have to pay something out of pocket as they are not cheap. I'm sure what size yours is, but I have a 60" and there is no possible way I could go smaller.

post #13626 of 15290 Old 02-06-2010, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon (Home Farm, Emmerdale, Yorks)
Quote:

Hello,

AD.

I'd use the BB warranty. You paid for it. And the good thing is that after the third attempt to repair it, you will trigger the No Lemon part of the warranty. After my third crappy OB install on my set went knockers up, I was told they wouldn't repair it and I would get an RMA number from the warranty company. A tech came to the house to look at the set to confirm the OB was bad, and three days later I had that RMA number and was able to get a new set (and I did not get another Sony). All Sony will offer (if they even offer it) is another crappy set at a crappy price. Personally I'd rather buy a low end Vizio or some other off the wall brand before I'd ever take another Sony.
post #13627 of 15290 Old 02-06-2010, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Hello,

AD.

Sorry to hear about your problem. In some instances (and I have now communicated directly with literally hundreds of customers with optical block problems), the extended warranty company has forced the customer to go through Sony's warranty extension. Apparently, some of the contracts have language that says any manufacturer warranty must be used first.

In other cases, though, customers have negotiated with the extended warranty company to arrange for replacements by establishing how widespread the problem is, and how a repair is not a permanent fix. Just as a reminder to all owners, I maintain the web site in my signature to help guide customer on such issues. Perhaps you might find something useful there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: informational web site

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: comprehensive guide to Moxi DVRs.
post #13628 of 15290 Old 02-07-2010, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hello,
Thanks to all for your kind responses. I feel like an idiot. I have constantly sang the praises of the A3000 Series and my honest belief that the OB problems had at minimum, been mitigated.

I am going to call Sony Corporate tomorrow and see what I can get done given I can give S/N's to over 10K of Sony equipment and try to get a replacement.
I realize it will be highly unlikely, but worth a try.

To those who have had to endure multiple failures, my sincerest apologies.
Cheers,
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #13629 of 15290 Old 02-07-2010, 09:13 AM

Since I am getting my OB replaced again because Sony insisted on replacing it, what happens if this one fails too? I still have my Circuit City warranty and haven't used it because all the repairs were made by Sony. Who replaces the tv? Circuit City warranty or Sony?
post #13630 of 15290 Old 02-07-2010, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Hello,
Thanks to all for your kind responses. I feel like an idiot. I have constantly sang the praises of the A3000 Series and my honest belief that the OB problems had at minimum, been mitigated.

I am going to call Sony Corporate tomorrow and see what I can get done given I can give S/N's to over 10K of Sony equipment and try to get a replacement.

Cheers,
AD

Though my set seems relatively steady thus far (no exacerbation yet of the very minor discoloration I mentioned earlier that's only faintly noticeable on bright white or B&W backdrops), I've always said that it's very easy for those of us with well-functioning sets to minimalize (even ostracize) others with issues...until such time as we end up in the same boat. It takes a big person to make such an apology, and my hat's off to you. Really hope everything works out for you.

Panasonic PT-AX200U

Da-Lite Model B 106" HCMW
Sony KDS-60A3000

VIP 3D Theater Plus Converter w/ MonsterVision Max 3D Eyewear
Onkyo TX-SR805 (v1.08 w/DSP & HDMI Updates)
Oppo BDP-103
Sony PS3 Slim (v4.50)
Toshiba HD-A35 (v4.0)
Polk Audio RTi8 / CSi5 / FXi3
Boston 595x Subwoofers

post #13631 of 15290 Old 02-07-2010, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hello,

Cheers,
AD

Only the people who have had problems have had problems. Until now, very few. But some try to make it seem like ALL these sets are bad -- because there's are bad.

Now maybe all these sets will go bad. I don't know. I do know that the guy whose set went bad early and he's had 10 OB replacements (or however many) is the exception. Others have not had those problems -- until now.

What had been the issue from past sets is the OB starts going bad 18 - 24 months of use. The OBs starting to go bad now are the ones to worry about as that previously pattern is now asserting itself again. IF OBs are going bad now, then Sony didn't fix the problem when they designed these sets.

Let me give you an analogy. Except for the recent acceleration problem, Toyotas are generally good cars, right? A friend of mine bought a Toyota Corolla a couple of years ago and it was a lemon.

In her words:

Quote:

When my 1991 Accord, my baby, died with 221K miles I bought a brand new 2008 Corolla.

As I mentioned, the problems started at 1193 miles when the entire ignition system died, computer and all.

On occasion the drivers side seat belt would lock down and not release. I almost wrecked twice when it locked me down while I was looking behind me, trying to accelerate in traffic.

The "extreme cold weather" heater - a special package that I spent extra money on didn't warm the car.

The driver's side window wouldn't roll down when the car was cold. This made the armed guards at the gate skittish when I had to open my door to show them my work badge. (she's an engineer at a secure government facility)

On occasion the car wouldn't shift into 2nd or 3rd gear - pretty dangerous when in traffic with someone barreling down on you. Every time it did that I had to coast to the shoulder and restart.

When I laid down on the horn the sound of the horn died down like a siren.

I sold the car to the dealer as a used vehicle. I couldn't in good conscience sell it to another individual. The car was a year old, had six thousand miles on it and on my way to the dealership with title in hand, the power steering died.

Those are just the issues I can remember on the top of my head! I know there were more! POS!

Now if she had gone into Toyota forums and bad mouthed Toyotas -- back then -- based on her own issues which were not applicable to Toyotas as a whole, would that be correct?

There's lemons in every product line. But with RPTVs Sony's problem has been OB failure after 1.5 - 2 years. So, someone having issues after only a few months, when no one else is having problems -- I don't want to keep hearing REPEATEDLY when evidence does not point to a larger problem.

People having OB failures now, yes that is within the historic time range -- so we should all be worried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboi View Post

I'd use the BB warranty. You paid for it. And the good thing is that after the third attempt to repair it, you will trigger the No Lemon part of the warranty. After my third crappy OB install on my set went knockers up, I was told they wouldn't repair it and I would get an RMA number from the warranty company. A tech came to the house to look at the set to confirm the OB was bad, and three days later I had that RMA number and was able to get a new set (and I did not get another Sony). All Sony will offer (if they even offer it) is another crappy set at a crappy price. Personally I'd rather buy a low end Vizio or some other off the wall brand before I'd ever take another Sony.

I have an extended warranty from an outside company.

I've had no problems except the Philips bulb dying with like 3,000 hours. If this 3 strikes rule is true what about the guy whose had repeated OB failures? Why hasn't that kicked it. He says it's more than 3, like 8 or 10 before they won't repair any more...

Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.
post #13632 of 15290 Old 02-07-2010, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon (Home Farm, Emmerdale, Yorks)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazzMatt View Post

. . . snip . . .

I have an extended warranty from an outside company.

I've had no problems except the Philips bulb dying with like 3,000 hours. If this 3 strikes rule is true what about the guy whose had repeated OB failures? Why hasn't that kicked it. He says it's more than 3, like 8 or 10 before they won't repair any more...

I have no idea who his warranty is with. If it's who I think it is, I believe he has the Sony extended warranty. I had the Best Buy warranty on my set. Three OB's failed, and after the third one failed within a week or so of being replaced, they didn't want to fart around with it anymore (and I didn't either). They replaced the set. I went to BB, picked out what I wanted, gave the CSR at front the sku number and my RMA number, arranged delivery of my Samsung, and they delivered it and pick up the POS Sony.

Other than your Philips bulb dying on your set . . . well, give it time. Not to wish any bad luck on you, but these turds are time bombs waiting to go off. None of them are worth a crap.
post #13633 of 15290 Old 02-07-2010, 03:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I have the Mack warranty through Texas Tapeworks - does anyone know of their policy should this issue arrive on my set?

post #13634 of 15290 Old 02-07-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

I have the Mack warranty through Texas Tapeworks - does anyone know of their policy should this issue arrive on my set?

I am also interested in some info in regards to this and also have a few other questions on this OB issue.

1. Effects of Sony Extension on Mack Warranty:
How does tapeworks/mack warranty work if the manf. extends its 1yr warranty to another 2 years? I ask since the warranty is worded as 3 additional years beyond manf. warranty.
Is it Manf 1yr + Many Extended 2 yr + Mack 3 yr additional = 6 years total
Or at the maximum Manf 1yr + Mack 3 yr additional = 4 years total

Quote:

UPDATE:
Ok, looked at Sony's extension for SXRD and it shows only 1 year labor and 2 years OB parts but it states from OP Date. So I am already out of warranty on the OB since I purchased in Oct 2007. Not sure if Mack would extend an additional 3 years beyond the 2 years on the optical block parts, but I bet not. So it looks like I have until Oct 2011 (about 21 months). I have owned the TV for 27 months and have only put 3819 hours on it. Based on that usage I will be at the 6800 hours usage at the point of end of warranty. Looks like I will probably be out of warranty and thus out of luck with no way for reimbursement or fix by the time this issue appears.

2. Mack Lemon Replacement Experiences:
Does the Mack warranties include Lemon replacement, that is, if it can't be fixed then do you get a replacement or prorated settlement check?

3. Intermittent blink problem:
Sounds like the intermittent blink problem is related to the replacement bulbs out there since folks say when they put back in original bulb tht issue goes away. Is that a correct assesment of this intermittent blink issue? And does this include the Philips bulbs? Is the Sony original bulb not a Philips and actually a Sony bulb or maybe the ones direct from Sony are just a better batch of the Philips bulbs?

4. Mack Bulb Replacement Experiences:
I also have the Mack bulb warranty and wonder does it make you order the bulb from somewhere specific or cap the amount of reimbursement? Just wondering if it just makes sense to get the bulb direct from Sony if Mack warranty will cover the larger price they charge. Can someone describe the Mack bulb replacement process.

5. Failure Usage Estimate:
Has it been determined how many hours of use or in months does the OB generally fail on the 3000 series? I have heard some estimates in this forum of 8000 hours or 18-24 months of use.

INFO:
I have owned the TV for 27 months and have only put 3819 hours on it and so far perfect picture. Based on that usage I will be at the 6800 hours usage at the end of warranty. Looks like I will probably be out of warranty and thus out of luck with no way for reimbursement or fix by the time this issue appears.

6. Determining OB issue:
And Lastly, whats the best way to test for the OB problem if one does not have a calibration DVD? Is there a movie scene/chapter that best illustrates the problem?

So disappointed in Sony, I loved my XBR RP and it lasted forever. No wonder Sony has lost thousands of customers to Samsung and Panasonic. My only consolidation is that I got the KDS-60A3000 for only $1460 from Sears on a Fry's Door Buster PM at Sears. So if I can at least get 6 good years out of this TV (Oct 2013) then that amounts to only about $20 a month if I look at it as a rental or sub. fee for the TV.
post #13635 of 15290 Old 02-07-2010, 07:17 PM

Liked: 11
The intermittent blinking is not just caused by new bulbs. My original started flickering at about 4500 hours. The two replacement bulbs I received also flicker. Still not sure if its bulb related or not.
post #13636 of 15290 Old 02-07-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs2 View Post

The intermittent blinking is not just caused by new bulbs. My original started flickering at about 4500 hours. The two replacement bulbs I received also flicker. Still not sure if its bulb related or not.

Sorry to hear it is also a defect.

Were the replacement bulbs direct from Sony part or aftermarket?
post #13637 of 15290 Old 02-07-2010, 10:04 PM

The replacements were aftermarket bulbs from electrified. I have to say its a really annoying problem because its so intermittent. I have a repair scheduled for Tuesday, but there was no flickering at all today. I'd hate to have someone come out and to not have the problem visible.
post #13638 of 15290 Old 02-09-2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:

Hello,

Cheers,
AD

No hard feelings. as an xbr2 owner, I too also defended the sets based on probabilities. very few mass produced electronics items have failed on a large scale, but damn, these are on of them.

I used to believe that sony had fixed the ob problems in their gen 2 sets, as the a2000s, xbr2s, and a2020s all did not hain months of purchase for unwary consumer for the xbr1s. sony's fix for gen 2 only delayed onset of ob failures and did not fix it.

i watched last years s.b. with friends and the set was flawless. less than 2 weeks later i detected the first signs of greenish tints, which followed by
the green screen attack which enveloped the entire screen with martian
green hues and tints.

having followed these sony sxrd threads closely since before the release of gen 2 models, it seems clear that the vast majority of failures for gen 2 and 3 (a3000s) begin after 8000+ hours and/or about 18-24 months of viewing.

regretably, these a 3000s, the best of the sxrds, are now falling to the same fate as their earlier brethren within the same approximate time spans.

sony has clearly, imo, created the worst illustration of failure of an expensive electronic device
in my memory.

so don't blame yourself for looking at how unlikely this was to happen, but
sharpen your blades for attack on the real enemy here, sony. may we all
have vindication in the class action lawsuits.

I
post #13639 of 15290 Old 02-09-2010, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Really? Where's the proof that the a3000's are failing at the same rate. When I see proof then I'll believe it.
post #13640 of 15290 Old 02-09-2010, 10:00 AM

I am disappoint that the first replacement OB lasted 2 weeks. The colors were fine for the first few days. Then a red tint on the right side and a green tint on the left formed quickly.

Why did this happen? How did this happen? Is this someone's used OB being repackaged?

I am waiting for a replacement OB and wondering how long that one would last before I get again.
post #13641 of 15290 Old 02-09-2010, 10:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclepauly View Post

Really? Where's the proof that the a3000's are failing at the same rate. When I see proof then I'll believe it.

I think they A3000 are probably failing at the same rate, however, since far fewer models were sold because of their limited run, it's taking a little while before we hear of the anecdotes and people are just now racking up enough hours (after two years) to see the issues. I don't know for certain, but considering that some of the handful of people who contribute to this thread (and all of the previous SXRD models) are now finally seeing issues leads to believe all us of are going to have OB issues at some point. The question is, when? I honestly believe this issue is just an inherent flaw in lcos RPTV technology by Sony. I think that's why Sony extended their warranty on the A3000 models some time back. They knew there was an issue and decided to pre-empt a bit before a bunch of A3000 cases started stacking up. I also think the key factor is 'hours' which is why we are starting to see more people having problems. I have less than 3000 hours on my display in less than two-and-a-half years, so my speculation is I won't see an issue for a while. However, I know some people said a couple of years ago and sooner that it was a "wait and see" scenario with the A3000 and we're starting to 'see' more cases about it.

post #13642 of 15290 Old 02-09-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:

I only have one A3000...so as far as I'm concerned, the failure rate is 100%!

By the way, my third optical block has a blue blob beginning. It lasted less than a week.
post #13643 of 15290 Old 02-09-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky 777 View Post

I only have one A3000...so as far as I'm concerned, the failure rate is 100%!

By the way, my third optical block has a blue blob beginning. It lasted less than a week.

Continuing to put in OB's has got to cost Sony more money than just replacing your set with another model. I really find it odd that they continue to do this.
post #13644 of 15290 Old 02-09-2010, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

look at all the sxrd threads. still need proof?

da nile.

neflixis our nemesis
post #13645 of 15290 Old 02-09-2010, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwien123 View Post

Continuing to put in OB's has got to cost Sony more money than just replacing your set with another model. I really find it odd that they continue to do this.

I am still trying to figure out why Sony is replacing OB over and over, instead of giving you a cash out or a new TV, it was to cost them allot, plus it looks like the OB are re-fubs.

I am not scared to watch or turn my TV on, will watch still the end with a little bit of luck .

So far, when the xbr2 came out (family members and some co-workers did a big buy at PC Richards together.

6 Total XBR2 60 - purchased together on 11/2006 - no OB problems.
I also purchased a Store Model A3000 60 4/2008 - no OB problems
Family member A2000 50- OB problem twice.
2 Friend's A2020 55- OB Problem.

I have changed both the bulbs on my A3000 and XBR2 60 and have over 4500+ hours on both.... both were calibrated by UMR.

Whats is so strange, the RPTV are having the problems and no issue with the front projector tech
post #13646 of 15290 Old 02-09-2010, 07:46 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominica View Post

...Whats is so strange, the RPTV are having the problems and no issue with the front projector tech

Unfortunately, it is a problem with the front projectors as well. They seem to lose contast and color performance pretty quickly.

W. Jeff Meier

post #13647 of 15290 Old 02-10-2010, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

look at all the sxrd threads. still need proof?

da nile.

Yes I still need proof when estoniankid states "regretably, these a 3000s, the best of the sxrds, are now *falling to the same fate (ok you must have edited your post because the 1st time I read it I read "failing at the same rate" - nice one) as their earlier brethren within the same approximate time spans." without a shred of proof, also I haven't seen too many of these "a3000 OB threads" you speak of. One of the things I learned growing up the hard way it's that you never take a random person's word at face value, naivety can get you into deep ****.

This place is a drop in the bucket and you expect me to believe based off of ten or less people that the entire a3000 line will turn green?

With that said my next door neighbors SXRD is completely green, but again, I want proof as it's an older model.

Not saying it isn't true, just saying I need proof.
post #13648 of 15290 Old 02-10-2010, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Unclepauly,

The same kind of talk was going on in the XBR950 thread some time back. Someone there actually got mad at me for saying that one was still working fine. My KDF-70XBR950 is still going strong on the original lamp. It had 9000 hours on the lamp the last time I checked it, so I expect over 10,000 hours now. I sold it to a friend when I got my 60A3000.

I greatly enjoy my 60A3000. UMR's post causes me some concern though. UMR has provided great information to these forums.
post #13649 of 15290 Old 02-10-2010, 06:15 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Green or yellow is not the only failure mode. Some will lose contrast and color. Others will turn purple near black. All SXRD products after a few years that I have seen which is many have radically degraded.

W. Jeff Meier

post #13650 of 15290 Old 02-10-2010, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I agree UMR's post lends a hell of a lot of weight to the subject, but, then again, he was only referring to the front projectors in relation with old SXRD problems. Which is actually news to me as I thought those were not plagued by this problem. All I know is my 60A3000 has 10k hrs on it and is running flawlessly. Looks better than the day I bought it.

OK UMR you just said they degrade after a few years. Looks like my sister-in-law is going to buy this set for $1300 then. Good day.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Displays , KDS-55A3000 , Mitsubishi , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page