Official Sony KDS-XXA3000 OWNERS THREAD! - Page 501 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #15001 of 15261 Old 04-12-2012, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need help with Sony KDS-60A3000 HDTV. I have a continuous blinking red light on the front when I turn it on. Has the lamp failed or optical block? Thanks in advance for the help and support.

Sony Bravia KDS-60A3000 HDTV
Sony BDP-S370
Yamaha RX-V663
Post it Deals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15002 of 15261 Old 04-12-2012, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aponea67 View Post

Need help with Sony KDS-60A3000 HDTV. I have a continuous blinking red light on the front when I turn it on. Has the lamp failed or optical block? Thanks in advance for the help and support.

The blinking most probably is in some sort of sequence. Rather than guess at it's meaning I suggest you call or chat with Sony Support. The optical block problem is video symptom based.

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
DirecTV HD DVR HR24 & AM21N OTA Receiver
Panasonic HD DVD DMP-BD65 & Toshiba HD DVR A20
Infinity Alpha Series Speakers - 50's (2), 20's (2), 10's (2), 37c (1) & Velodyne Subwoofer
Panamax M4300-PM Power Center
Monoprice Cables & Harmony One Remote
post #15003 of 15261 Old 04-13-2012, 04:07 PM

Liked: 11
You need to count the number of blinks before it stops and starts again. Post that number. Someone on here can tell you exactly what it means.
post #15004 of 15261 Old 04-14-2012, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Blinking red light usually means lamp has failed. Did you
notice the picture getting dimmer before this happened?

Ben Music
post #15005 of 15261 Old 04-15-2012, 06:50 AM

Thanks, it appears to be the lamp. Picture was fine before it failed. Original lamp has about 4500 hours on it.

Any recommendations on where to buy the replacement lamp (with housing) ?

Sony Bravia KDS-60A3000 HDTV
Sony BDP-S370
Yamaha RX-V663
Post it Deals
post #15006 of 15261 Old 04-15-2012, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by aponea67 View Post

Thanks, it appears to be the lamp. Picture was fine before it failed. Original lamp has about 4500 hours on it.

Any recommendations on where to buy the replacement lamp (with housing) ?

Not specific, but be sure you get a genuine Sony lamp, or a Philips or Osram lamp. Many here have had problems with Chinese knock-off lamps described as 'OEM-equivalent' and other such wishy-washy terms.
post #15007 of 15261 Old 04-21-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF. View Post

Not specific, but be sure you get a genuine Sony lamp, or a Philips or Osram lamp. Many here have had problems with Chinese knock-off lamps described as 'OEM-equivalent' and other such wishy-washy terms.

so who are some good places to buy from that have been around and sell true OSRAM and Philips?

I have seen Electrified, AdvancedLamps, and niosales on ebay. Which of these are best option based on experiences of others?

Also just curious does anyone know what the longest running A3000 is so far without any issues? I am at 6563 hours for 60A3000 and the picture is still great.
post #15008 of 15261 Old 04-22-2012, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfcarbel View Post

so who are some good places to buy from that have been around and sell true OSRAM and Philips?

I have seen Electrified, AdvancedLamps, and niosales on ebay. Which of these are best option based on experiences of others?

Also just curious does anyone know what the longest running A3000 is so far without any issues? I am at 6563 hours for 60A3000 and the picture is still great.

LOL! I've got over 20,000 hours and just replaced the original lamp! It hadn't even failed, I just wanted a brighter picture for The Masters.

I think it's cycles that matter more than total lamp hours. I believe the later A3000's (mine's one of the last) have not had as many problems as the earlier ones. Once you turn it on, leave it on. Don't turn it on and off multiple times per day.
post #15009 of 15261 Old 04-22-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post

LOL! I've got over 20,000 hours and just replaced the original lamp! It hadn't even failed, I just wanted a brighter picture for The Masters.

I think it's cycles that matter more than total lamp hours. I believe the later A3000's (mine's one of the last) have not had as many problems as the earlier ones. Once you turn it on, leave it on. Don't turn it on and off multiple times per day.

We only cycle it once a day. Power Save is on. And High Altitude fan speed. Also house is kept very cool all year round.

What to you mean by the later A3000? I believe mine is made Sept 2007. I checked the Firmware the other day and it does not have the latest T firmware, but not sure what that corrects. Anyone know what T firmware update offers?

Where did you get your replacement lamp from? OSRAM or Philips?
post #15010 of 15261 Old 04-23-2012, 11:05 PM

I own a Sony KDS-60A3000 RPTV brought it back in Nov 07 new from Frys and for the last 4 years I've had no problem with it. Changed the lamp back in Nov 2010 and that was all. Last week I started to notice a yellow and greenish haze on the right and lower right-hand side of the screen. Initially I thought it might be caused by some type of Electromagnetic interference or a bad HDMI cable so I changed the cable but it had no effect so I researched the problem on the internet and lo and behold I found out the awful truth about the defective optical block or light engine on these models and just about all the Sony RPTV models before it.

I had absolutely no idea about this inherent manufacture defect I also did not know about the extended warranty that Sony had on these models that expired on June 30 of last year as Sony or anybody else did not inform me about the Cardenas Class Action Settlement so I did not have a chance to opt in or out. Sony must have known that I owned a A3000 because I registered it with Sony and I also financed the purchase via Sony Financial Services. When I called Sony product support about the problem they offered to sell me a Sony LED Television at a discounted price however to my mind this is not acceptable. Why should I have to buy another television out of my own pocket to replace one that should not have to be replaced as it is only 4 years old also right now I'm unemployed and I cannot afford to spend the money to buy another television, even one at a discounted price and even If I could afford it, I would not buy another Sony product after this A3000 debacle.

As I understand it, the part that is affected. The Optical Block Assembly Part# A1359047A cost almost 2k, is no longer available and cannot be rebuilt so I don't know what to do. I'm going to press Sony for some kind of resolution to this situation that does not require any out of pocket cost to me if that is possible as they are responsible for this whole situation. They were fully aware of this problem regarding the defective optical block and the UV damage, even before the A3000 was manufactured and as I said, Sony made no attempt to notify me regarding the settlement and the extended warranty. Needless to say, had I have known about it, I would have had my optical block changed out to get some more life out of this unit and as I understand it, a lot more people like myself are in the same boat about not being notified about this issue. Has any body like myself found themselves in a situation like and if so what did you do about it? Please, I'm asking for your help as you can see what I'm up against. Your prompt replies will be appreciated.
post #15011 of 15261 Old 04-24-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airman23 View Post

I own a Sony KDS-60A3000 RPTV brought it back in Nov 07 new from Frys and for the last 4 years I've had no problem with it. Changed the lamp back in Nov 2010 and that was all. Last week I started to notice a yellow and greenish haze on the right and lower right-hand side of the screen. Initially I thought it might be caused by some type of Electromagnetic interference or a bad HDMI cable so I changed the cable but it had no effect so I researched the problem on the internet and lo and behold I found out the awful truth about the defective optical block or light engine on these models and just about all the Sony RPTV models before it. I had absolutely no idea about this inherent manufacture defect I also did not know about the extended warranty that Sony had on these models that expired on June 30 of last year as Sony or anybody else did not inform me about the Cardenas Class Action Settlement so I did not have a chance to opt in or out. Sony must have known that I owned a A3000 because I registered it with Sony and I also financed the purchase via Sony Financial Services. When I called Sony product support about the problem they offered to sell me a Sony LED Television at a discounted price however to my mind this is not acceptable. Why should I have to buy another television out of my own pocket to replace one that should not have to be replaced as it is only 4 years old also right now I'm unemployed and I cannot afford to spend the money to buy another television, even one at a discounted price and even If I could afford it, I would not buy another Sony product after this A3000 debacle. As I understand it, the part that is affected. The Optical Block Assembly Part# A1359047A cost almost 2k, is no longer available and cannot be rebuilt so I don't know what to do. I'm going to press Sony for some kind of resolution to this situation that does not require any out of pocket cost to me if that is possible as they are responsible for this whole situation. They were fully aware of this problem regarding the defective optical block and the UV damage, even before the A3000 was manufactured and as I said, Sony made no attempt to notify me regarding the settlement and the extended warranty. Needless to say, had I have known about it, I would have had my optical block changed out to get some more life out of this unit and as I understand it, a lot more people like myself are in the same boat about not being notified about this issue. Has any body like myself found themselves in a situation like and if so what did you do about it? Please, I'm asking for your help as you can see what I'm up against. Your prompt replies will be appreciated.

Yikes, no paragraphs makes for hard reading!

Anyway, there have been many people in the same situation as you and Sony have made offers that have worsened over time as the original TV gets older and more obsolete. You can spend some time reading through this (A3000) and the various other SXRD threads to see what kind of offers and deals people got.

You're probably not going to get a no-cost option from Sony so you need to decide whether or not you'll accept their offer of a discounted new TV or look elsewhere.

If you don't like Sony's options and want to fight them you'll probably need to bring your own law suit against them which will likely cost you a lot of money to hire an attorney.

Yes, it sucks, but it is what it is and Sony probably rely on the fact that its not cost effective for us, the customer, to fight them but instead succumb to their offer which is essentially a take it or leave it.
post #15012 of 15261 Old 05-10-2012, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

After starting to see the yellow stain on my November 2007 KDS-60A3000 in January and having it get progressively and exponentially worse I finally called Sony today. I wasn't aware of the problem with the optical block, was never contacted by Sony regarding the extended warranty, or heard about the class action suit, even though I registered the TV with Sony.

I was offered the KDL60EX720 for $1,275 + tax. I read through this thread and remember that someone was offered the same TV for $950 last year. Is the amount dependent on how long you owned the TV? I'd prefer to pay closer to $1,000. Is this price at all negotiable? With CA tax it comes to $1,373.81. I don't recall if shipping is included or yet another cost. This TV is currently selling on Amazon for $2,298 with no tax or shipping.

I really don't want to give Sony any more money and this TV is the last straw for Sony, but the Panasonic TC-P65GT50 that I was planning on as a replacement, is still brand new and is still selling at an MSRP of $3,300 on Amazon. I'm considering getting the Sony, particularly if I can get it for less, and then selling it when the Panny comes down closer to $2200-$2000 near the end of the year. Does anything think that I could recover most of the cost of the EX720 in six to eight months? The picture on the 60A3000 is also starting to get dimmer again and I'm not sure how much life I have on the current lamp, but probably not six to eight months.
post #15013 of 15261 Old 05-12-2012, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I thinking about moving to an LED or plasma set. My friend wants my 60a3000 but I'm not sure how much to ask him for it. I looked online for people selling used ones and I can't find one. It's like no one is selling there's. Can anyone help me with a good selling price? I got it a few months after they released it and but a brand new bulb in 2 months ago.
post #15014 of 15261 Old 05-16-2012, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

I own a Sony KDS-60A3000 RPTV bought it back in Nov 07 new from Frys and for the last 4 years I've had no problem with it. Changed the lamp back in Nov 2010 and that was all. Last week I started to notice a yellow and greenish haze on the right and lower right-hand side of the screen. Initially I thought it might be caused by some type of Electromagnetic interference or a bad HDMI cable so I changed the cable but it had no effect so I researched the problem on the internet and lo and behold I found out the awful truth about the defective optical block or light engine on these models and just about all the Sony RPTV models before it.

When I called Sony product support about the problem they offered to sell me a Sony LED Television at a discounted price however to my mind this is not acceptable. Why should I have to buy another television out of my own pocket to replace one that should not have to be replaced as it is only 4 years old.

Because Sony only guaranteed the TV for a certain amount of time. Like a vehicle having a 3-year/36,000 mile warranty... You are well past not only that guaranteed time but even the extended warranty on the problematic part. Your 4-year old TV is now worth LESS than $400 (see answer below). So, if it fails now, at this point in time, while that sucks it's like your car having transmission problems at 50,000 miles (with an expired 36,000 mile warranty). At this point in time, the manufacturer is not liable.

My own Sony KDS-60A3000 is still going fine and I feel sorry for the people who had problems, but I will not buy a Sony TV as a replacement when that time comes. Not because I hate Sony, but because Sony has fallen from the top-tier of TV manufacturers but is still trying to set prices as if they are still #1. They are overpriced for the quality. Sharp, LG, Panasonic, Toshiba all make better TVs -- in my opinion. I can get a 60" Sharp Aquos that looks fantastic for $1300. (less than the $1700 + tax I paid for this 60" TV over 4 years ago).

I couldn't care less about 3D in my living room, and nothing Sony makes interests me. The 60" and 70" Sharp HDTVs at Costo look phenomenol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevfx View Post

I thinking about moving to an LED or plasma set. My friend wants my 60a3000 but I'm not sure how much to ask him for it. I looked online for people selling used ones and I can't find one. It's like no one is selling there's. Can anyone help me with a good selling price? I got it a few months after they released it and but a brand new bulb in 2 months ago.

You have to look at the used HDTV competition and price accordingly. What are other rear-projection 1080p HDTVs going for? For instance, here's a 2009 61" 1080 Samsung TV for $400. That TV is newer and bigger than ours (which has documented optical block issues). So, perhaps a little less than that.

Here's a 56" Samsung 1080p DLP for $300.

So, yeah, between $300 and $400 seems fair.

It doesn't matter how long you've owned it, what you've done to it, or how much you paid 4 years ago. I know you didn't mention the price you paid, but a lot of people get hung up on HOW MUCH they paid for some obsolete thing. Computers are my hobby and I often hear stuff like: "I paid $1,500 for that Dell/Gatway/HP laptop 8 years ago." Yeah, and it's worth ZERO today. Any new $350 laptop computer is better than that 8-year old computer.

A TV is like a used washer/dryer combo being sold. Doesn't matter if it was top-of-the-line 4 years ago. For someone looking for a used washer/dryer combo, they just need something basic. If they were looking for features, they would go buy new and get a WARRANTY and even money-back guarantee. So, a used ($2,000) washer/dryer combo from 4 years ago is in the same boat as a used ($1,000) washer/dryer combo bought 4 years ago. They're both going to sell for less than $300. Why? Because if the owner tries to ask for more money, there's too many other choices.

Plus, if you ask for more money, then they might as well go get a NEW big screen HDTV with warranty. You can get a new 51" 1080p Samsung plasma for $800, no tax and free shipping nowadays. (And 51" 720P Samsung plasma for about $600 with free shipping.)

And while 51" is not 60", it's also not 4 years old and rear-projection. It'a a new, slim, warranteed big screen 1080p major manufacturer plasma.

So, ask $400 or less.

Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.
post #15015 of 15261 Old 05-16-2012, 11:36 AM

Hi, guys can anybody give me advice on how to deal with Sony about discount.procedures, contact info etc. so I don't get the run around.
Thank You So Much!
post #15016 of 15261 Old 05-16-2012, 05:02 PM

The IR sensor on the TV is on the front center and it appears there is no input jack for IR on the control panel. I'm trying to avoid having a small IR emitter attached to the front of the TV. Has anyone figured a way to do this? Is it possible to run the emitter inside the TV to hide it?
post #15017 of 15261 Old 05-16-2012, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Probably not. But you can put an emitter (or your RF base) anywhere line of sight, even several feet away.

However, most people don't need an emitter on their tv's because they're generally sitting in front of them when they are in use. RF remotes generally send IR and RF simultaneously or are configurable for a mix of IR and RF. Why exactly won't IR work for you in this case? I assume the IR sensor isn't blocked since you would consider an emitter an eyesore.
post #15018 of 15261 Old 05-16-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Probably not. But you can put an emitter (or your RF base) anywhere line of sight, even several feet away.

However, most people don't need an emitter on their tv's because they're generally sitting in front of them when they are in use. RF remotes generally send IR and RF simultaneously or are configurable for a mix of IR and RF. Why exactly won't IR work for you in this case? I assume the IR sensor isn't blocked since you would consider an emitter an eyesore.

Well if it shoots both RF and IR then I guess I'm good. I want RF so I don't have to bother pointing the remote. I used to have a Bose lifestyle system which had an RF universal remote and spoiled me on the convenience.

As far as the emitters are concerned, everything I have is under the TV on a low shelf so having the main IR emitter would not be able to "see" the TV sensor.
post #15019 of 15261 Old 05-17-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:

I own a Sony KDS-60A3000 RPTV brought it back in Nov 07 new from Frys and for the last 4 years I've had no problem with it. Changed the lamp back in Nov 2010 and that was all. Last week I started to notice a yellow and greenish haze on the right and lower right-hand side of the screen. Initially I thought it might be caused by some type of Electromagnetic interference or a bad HDMI cable so I changed the cable but it had no effect so I researched the problem on the internet and lo and behold I found out the awful truth about the defective optical block or light engine on these models and just about all the Sony RPTV models before it.

I had absolutely no idea about this inherent manufacture defect I also did not know about the extended warranty that Sony had on these models that expired on June 30 of last year as Sony or anybody else did not inform me about the Cardenas Class Action Settlement so I did not have a chance to opt in or out. Sony must have known that I owned a A3000 because I registered it with Sony and I also financed the purchase via Sony Financial Services. When I called Sony product support about the problem they offered to sell me a Sony LED Television at a discounted price however to my mind this is not acceptable. Why should I have to buy another television out of my own pocket to replace one that should not have to be replaced as it is only 4 years old also right now I'm unemployed and I cannot afford to spend the money to buy another television, even one at a discounted price and even If I could afford it, I would not buy another Sony product after this A3000 debacle.

As I understand it, the part that is affected. The Optical Block Assembly Part# A1359047A cost almost 2k, is no longer available and cannot be rebuilt so I don't know what to do. I'm going to press Sony for some kind of resolution to this situation that does not require any out of pocket cost to me if that is possible as they are responsible for this whole situation. They were fully aware of this problem regarding the defective optical block and the UV damage, even before the A3000 was manufactured and as I said, Sony made no attempt to notify me regarding the settlement and the extended warranty. Needless to say, had I have known about it, I would have had my optical block changed out to get some more life out of this unit and as I understand it, a lot more people like myself are in the same boat about not being notified about this issue. Has any body like myself found themselves in a situation like and if so what did you do about it? Please, I'm asking for your help as you can see what I'm up against. Your prompt replies will be appreciated.

Well this time there's a happy ending to what almost was a tragedy. When I brought my 60A3000 in Nov 2007 from Fry's I brought an extended warranty with it but for some reason I thought it was a 4 year extended warranty which I thought expired in Nov 2011 but I found my purchase paperwork for the A3000 and I found that I had in fact purchased a 5 year extended warranty which expires in Nov 2012 so I was covered. "WHEW" what a relief. So I went to Fry's with the paperwork and confirmed it so now I have a brand new LG 60PA5500 Plasma sitting where my 60A3000 once sat. They sent a technician to my house to see if the 60A3000 could be fixed, after the tech gave them the total cost of repair, they declined to repair and gave me a brand new replacement instead which was the cheaper option for them but I have no complaints. The 60PA5500 looks better then the A3000 did, it's brand spanking new and it did not cost me a cent.

They took to A3000 away but they were welcome to it as far as I was concerned. So I'm definitely sold on extended warranty's, I brought the extended warranty for the A3000 mostly because it included a lamp replacement which I knew I would need. Replacement lamps, Sony XL5200's where going for about $250 at the time I purchased the A3000 and I got my replacement in Nov 10 so the warranty about paid for itself. I did not think I would ever need to use the extended warranty for any repair, after all it's a Sony right. The extended warranty cost me $259.00 at the time of the A3000 purchase. So now I will always buy an extended warranty with the television's that I buy from now on. And also SCREW SONY!
post #15020 of 15261 Old 05-25-2012, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Lesson learned. Spend more for a phillips bulb. Bought a bulb from riverelectronics last June and installed it around Sept of 11. As of late I'd noticed the picture looked dim and flickered. So I bought a new bulb from projector nova through amazon. It came with a flyer describing how to tell a genuine phillips bulb from a knockoff. Course the riverelectronics lamp had none of the required clues. The projector nova lamp did. Plugged it in and the TV's back to supernova (pun) glory.

I then looked at the riverelectronics lamp. Check it out- look at the dark, almost burnt, discoloration at the top and the milky parts on the bottom. Explains the dim picture I was having. All to save $20.
LL

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
post #15021 of 15261 Old 05-27-2012, 08:24 AM

I finally started getting the "Projection lamp is nearing the end of it's life" message a couple of days ago. I decided to check the hours, and to my amazement, the original lamp/bulb had 8058 hours on it and was still going strong! Wow! That is impressive. I decided to go ahead and replace it anyways though and keep it as a spare, just to be safe.

For anyone wondering where to buy a new one from, I would highly suggest niosales on eBay! I researched buying a lamp/housing from MANY vendors on Amazon, eBay, and elsewhere, and as per previous recommendations in this thread, niosales was one of them.

After lots of reading and researching, I bought from niosales, as it seemed they had a very good price, lots of good feedback, and seemed to be providing a quality (genuine/OEM) product. They had several listings that were slightly different, but I chose this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/380134088724

The listing was for a "a brand new Philips lamp with recycled/refurbished Sony housing for your Sony XL-5200" as per the description. This was exactly what I wanted, since I had read that some aftermarket housings (although they would work and not effect performance) had slight fitment issues. I didn't want to mess with that, but also did not want to pay for a brand new housing, and also didn't want to open the original housing to change bulbs (so I could have a spare). Seemed like a perfect solution for me (and it was).

Anyways, the item arrived in a VERY well packaged Philips box, and looked EXACTLY like the original/OEM one that I took out of the TV. The install took all of 5 minutes, and the bulb seems to be working great! I'll re-update if I end up having problems with it in the near future, but I highly doubt it. It seemed like a very high quality product.

In summary, for anyone questioning where to order a new lamp/housing from, I would highly recommend niosales. Just make sure you read the descriptions and know what you are getting. They do offer some "OEM equivalent" bulbs/housings that are not the same quality as OEM, but the price reflects that (half as much) and they are very clear about telling you that is what it is. No tricks. Just make sure you pick the right listing from them and that they say the bulb is a Philips.

Hope that helps anyone out there wondering what to buy. I know I would have liked a definitive answer when I was looking. If you have any questions, just let me know.
Jim Kiler likes this.
post #15022 of 15261 Old 06-01-2012, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngwest36 View Post

Lesson learned. Spend more for a phillips bulb. Bought a bulb from riverelectronics last June and installed it around Sept of 11. As of late I'd noticed the picture looked dim and flickered. So I bought a new bulb from projector nova through amazon. It came with a flyer describing how to tell a genuine phillips bulb from a knockoff. Course the riverelectronics lamp had none of the required clues. The projector nova lamp did. Plugged it in and the TV's back to supernova (pun) glory.

I then looked at the riverelectronics lamp. Check it out- look at the dark, almost burnt, discoloration at the top and the milky parts on the bottom. Explains the dim picture I was having. All to save $20.

I disagree.

My no-name (probably Osram) looks better than my Philips did and it has lasted MUCH longer. My crappy Philips only lasted just over 3,000 hours (8,000 promised).

My Osram was half what some vendors were (OVER)charging for Philips.

I saved $50 or $60 and I was so pleased I bought another as a spare. So, there.

I remember when misinformed people in this thread kept claiming Philips was made in the USA and then I posted my burned out Philips bulb MADE IN CHINA and they shut up.

See more here (post from 2010):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post19218364

Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.
post #15023 of 15261 Old 06-01-2012, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazzMatt View Post

I disagree.

My no-name (probably Osram) looks better than my Philips did and it has lasted MUCH longer. My crappy Philips only lasted just over 3,000 hours (8,000 promised).

My Osram was half what some vendors were (OVER)charging for Philips.

I saved $50 or $60 and I was so pleased I bought another as a spare. So, there.

I remember when misinformed people in this thread kept claiming Philips was made in the USA and then I posted my burned out Philips bulb MADE IN CHINA and they shut up.

See more here (post from 2010):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post19218364

Don't know what you are disagreeing with. I never said the rivervalleyelectronics lamp was Osram. It appears that is all they sell now is Osram but since the original link I used to purchase the lamp last summer is 404 I don't know what they were selling then. All I know is that it had no markings of any kind and that it clouded up and started charing the reflector after 6 months and had to be replaced.

I also never claimed phillips were made in the USA. All I really claimed was that a lamp that was not a phillips failed after 6 months and to look at the picture to see the proof.

If you're happy with Osram, and many others are as well, then cool. All I wanted to do was warn folks to be careful and research what they're buying.

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
post #15024 of 15261 Old 06-07-2012, 12:02 AM

My KDS-60A3000 bows near the top of the screen. The bottom edge is straight. The sides lean in. The top edge sags/bows in the middle.

Any idea on what's causing this and/or how to fix it?

I've tried to find something in the service menu to adjust, but no luck. frown.gif
post #15025 of 15261 Old 06-07-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberjer View Post

My KDS-60A3000 bows near the top of the screen. The bottom edge is straight. The sides lean in. The top edge sags/bows in the middle.
Any idea on what's causing this and/or how to fix it?
I've tried to find something in the service menu to adjust, but no luck. frown.gif

Mine has always has this since new. Relatively minor, most of the time I don't notice it. I think its a consequence of the design.
post #15026 of 15261 Old 06-18-2012, 06:29 PM

HELP!

I am thinking of purchasing an A3000 off of Craigslist for $300. The owner says that the tv was kept in his basement and therefore rarely used. I had him perform the test to check the bulb hours, etc, and this is what he sent me...

05243-01799-04834-04831

Is it worth it for $300??? He is also including all cables (HDMI, PC, component, etc) and says it is in perfect cosmetic condition.

What would you do??????? Thanks!!!!!!
post #15027 of 15261 Old 06-20-2012, 02:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcollins22 View Post

HELP!
I am thinking of purchasing an A3000 off of Craigslist for $300. The owner says that the tv was kept in his basement and therefore rarely used. I had him perform the test to check the bulb hours, etc, and this is what he sent me...
05243-01799-04834-04831
Is it worth it for $300??? He is also including all cables (HDMI, PC, component, etc) and says it is in perfect cosmetic condition.
What would you do??????? Thanks!!!!!!

Ok deal if you can verify it doesn't have the optical block issue or can live with if it does. Mine doesn't, in case anyone was thinking every single one of them do.

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
post #15028 of 15261 Old 06-20-2012, 01:33 PM

How do you check/verify that? I am sure its in this thread somewhere, but assistance would be appreciated!
post #15029 of 15261 Old 06-21-2012, 02:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcollins22 View Post

How do you check/verify that? I am sure its in this thread somewhere, but assistance would be appreciated!

The only way is to look at the set. If I remember, a bad optical block will show a pink/green discoloration on a white picture. Details don't really matter, just that a white/grey picture should have any color in it.

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
post #15030 of 15261 Old 06-21-2012, 11:32 AM

I just replaced the bulb in my 55A3000 with a genuine Philips unit & cage and after about 150 hours of usage am still noticing a mild bluish cast to everything although picture quality, brightness, sharpness, etc. are really nice. Can someone point me to where I can learn how to adjust the picture to get better black and to eliminate the mild bluish cast? Thanks.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony , Mitsubishi , Playstation 3 160gb System , Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page