post #15241 of 15270 Old 03-04-2014, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1son View Post

Bulb stuff...

I actually own the 55 inch version of this TV and am about to get a 50 incher from a friend (who bought it on my recommendation when they first came out... he replaced it when the bulb died the second time and has had it sitting around blank since). I've always replaced the bulbs with the genuine Philips products and other than needing to re calibrate the set the first time I switched from OEM to Philips (the Philips bulbs are a lot bluer) I've been very happy with them (The second Philips bulb is in the 55 now, third bulb total). However... having 2 of these sets now I don't want to spend the $100+ for bulbs every couple of years anymore.

Has anyone used the Buslink bulbs? I've read a bunch of decent reviews about their products... just wondering how they stack up brightness/color wise compared to the Philips. I know buslink is an American company and their bulbs seem to be fairly well regarded as OEM replacements.

If nobody knows I'll buy a couple of them (3 is about the cost of one Philips bulb) and see how they work out and post back.

That all said. I still love the set. I see no reason to replace it with even after 6 years. With the exception of black levels and overall contrast it does everything quite well compared to new stuff. Sure it takes a bit more maintenance (cleaning mirrors every so often, dust buildup, and bulbs), but the price to performance even with all of that is still a no brainer.

I can't help with the Buslink bulbs, but I do have some question for you.

How does one perform a calibration?
Is this some thing a capable owner can do or does one need special tools/software only available to professinal technicians?
Is what you did just for color, or can one calibrate for clarity, also?

I ask because I'm about to purchase a Philips bulb, also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15242 of 15270 Old 03-04-2014, 06:58 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvman View Post

Thank you!! Good to know!! So how can one be sure that the supplier is providing a new vs. used panel? Are new ones still available? Are they still being manufactured? Like you said, if I need to replace the panel used for blue, I don't want to use a used panel.

in fact that i have same question too, before called Sony China Branch, they told me, the new SXRD panels still are available, the earliest products were produced in 2006, and discontinued in 2011, that is, the latest new panels were produced in 2011.  unfortunately, they have no this part for selling.

i guess, the SXRD TV was eliminated the market as the popular of LCD, flat TV, they sold their stock to some merchants. as this therad, i will try to find some merchants who have this part,possible, i will buy some pcs.

it is very easy to distinguish the used and new panel, i ever seen a new panel from a clients, it is very clean, straight cable, on its gold hands connector no any signs from installing, without signs on its cable. when i pulled the used one from his TV, i found the used panel is dirty, its cable is curved,original thermal slice was burnt. 

once i got new panels again, i will make some photos for them. so that help more AVSer to find real new parts.

post #15243 of 15270 Old 03-05-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvman View Post

I can't help with the Buslink bulbs, but I do have some question for you.

How does one perform a calibration?
Is this some thing a capable owner can do or does one need special tools/software only available to professinal technicians?
Is what you did just for color, or can one calibrate for clarity, also?

I ask because I'm about to purchase a Philips bulb, also.

Professional calibration. Someone comes out with a computer, colorimeter, and test pattern device and hooks it all up to the TV. They then go into the service menu and adjust until everything is as close to spec as possible. It's not the cheapest thing in the world, but if you want the best possible picture on any TV it's required.

You can adjust some stuff yourself with a calibration disc, like Disney's WOW, Spears and Munsil, etc. which drastically help, but you'll never get the colors just right without expensive equipment and some knowledge.
post #15244 of 15270 Old 03-08-2014, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Well, I fixed my A3000's green blob! biggrin.gif

I bought that SXRD221 chip off of ebay and swapped it in, and the TV is gorgeous once again! Greys are GREY!

Let me tell you though, that the job is not for someone who isn't familiar with electronics.

The A3000 is set up differently from the A2000. You access everything from the front instead of the back. There are a ton of wires across the front of the unit that need to be moved out of the way. The good thing, however, is that none of the connectors are the same, so you can't possibly hook it back up wrong.

The light engine is set up differently from the A2000, too. When I got down to the SXRD chips, I thought I was screwed because everything was glued together. Also, there was a filter on the chip that looked like it was tinted blue, but the "red" one I got was not. The filter was also adjustable and was hard set with epoxy from the factory. No idea what that setting meant. I was prepared for the filter to have made a difference but so far it looks great.

Mark the placement of the SXRD chip before you remove it. Take pictures. Note the placement of it. You need a REALLY good #00 Philips head screwdriver to remove the SXRD chip. Then slice the epoxy holding the filter setting with a utility blade. When you put in the new SXRD chip, try to align it as best you can. The A2000 repair video online mentions nudging the chip with the TV on, but with the way the A3000 is set up, there is no access the chip. So get it as close as you can. Especially try to get the tilt of the chip right. Then tighten it all down.

When I took out the blue SXRD chip, frankly, it looked fine. No visible blotches. So I wasn't sure it was going to fix the issue.

My new blue chip was within 2 pixels in both directions of the old one, which I then adjusted with the service menu's coarse convergence(REGI) setting. I'll be doing the fine convergence later on.

I did take pictures and a video, but I'm not sure how useful they will be. I sort of panicked at one point and just started working on it without taking more video.

The reason I panicked is that when I put it all back together all I got was a green screen. I mean PURE green! No other colors. I had to take the light engine out two more times and disconnect/reconnect ribbon cables. Turns out that at least one of the SXRD chip cables was not seated properly. Once I re-seated them all, it came to life!

One of the video cables is really delicate, I took care not to damage it.

When I finally got the screen back on, the green blob was gone.

I did a lot of testing as I re-assembled to make sure that the TV was still working as I plugged in cables and routed them.

All told, it took me from 10AM til about 4:30PM. Spent $150 on the chip and express shipping.

Here's the video of the A2000 repair that was very helpful for repairing this TV.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP2nNPOjn_Y

Untitled by shapegsx, on Flickr

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
post #15245 of 15270 Old 03-08-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Here is a Flickr set of photos with the photos I took.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shapegsx/sets/72157642068943043/

post #15246 of 15270 Old 03-08-2014, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's the old, dead blue SXRD chip. Note that the filter on the front can move (it's moved in the 2nd picture). These are TINY!

The back of the chip looks a little burnt, but I don't know if it means anything:

It's hard to get at the two inner screws on the blue chip because the frame is in the way. Use a thin, good 00 Philips screwdriver that you can press down on with your palm. The screws are threadlocked in there, so you need some pressure.

There are optical surfaces everywhere! Don't touch them!

post #15247 of 15270 Old 03-09-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Here are a couple guides I made for adjusting the coarse and fine convergence on the A3000.

post #15248 of 15270 Old 03-11-2014, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I put together a video on how to adjust the convergence and fine convergence of the A3000. I had to do this after replacing the blue SXRD chip.

It's a bit lengthy. Apparently I like talking about TVs. I probably could have cut it down to 1/4 the time if I didn't say "uh" every other word. smile.gif
WLGeter likes this.

post #15249 of 15270 Old 03-15-2014, 10:27 PM

I was playing around with my Sony KDS-55a3000 service menu. Somehow, I got to the test patterns, and now all I see if a floating white block floating diaganoly, from top left to bottom right.

I tried exiting the service menu, turning off, etc, but I cannot get rid of the floating white square. Nothing else is displayed.

Thanks,
George
post #15250 of 15270 Old 03-16-2014, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Did you also unplug it for a few minutes?

I also had the test pattern scare last week. But after I unplugged it, it went away.

post #15251 of 15270 Old 03-16-2014, 06:09 AM

Turning it off, and unplugging it didn't fix the issue. Now, the middle green light keeps blinking, and I hear something click a couple times, then the set turns off. I can see the projector light comes on, then goes off. It keeps cycling. No picture. I did change the Screen size setting from 2 to 4. I have the KDS-55A3000. I was hoping that setting would perhaps change the focus ever so slightly. Not sure if that caused the issue. Didn't seem to do anything, since I power cycled the set. But then I got the test pattern stuck, and perhaps in pressing the keypad, I changed something else inadvertently.

Anyone know of a way to factory reset the TV? Can anyone post the service manual?

BTW, I took off the screen of the TV, to test it on a bigger rear projection screen (120"). By moving the my large screen (it's on its own frame) about 1 foot away from the set, I got a decently bright 100" picture, just every so slightly out of focus. But it looked very impressive, colors and black level were good, and it looked just a bit smoother than my Epson 5020 on the same screen. If I could get the focus just a bit sharper, I'm thinking I'll return my Epson 5020 projector, and save a lot of money.

That is of course, if I can get my set to turn on again.

Thanks,
George
post #15252 of 15270 Old 03-16-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

There is no way to change the focus electronically. The big lens on the light engine may have an adjustment that is tightened down, but I'd be afraid of ruining it.

post #15253 of 15270 Old 03-17-2014, 03:23 PM

Are you going to post a video of you taking the block out? I'm still trying to decide if I want to rip into this tv and get the block out myself. There aren't any A3000 videos on youtube, just A2000 and XBR1.
post #15254 of 15270 Old 03-17-2014, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerTornado View Post

Are you going to post a video of you taking the block out? I'm still trying to decide if I want to rip into this tv and get the block out myself. There aren't any A3000 videos on youtube, just A2000 and XBR1.

I will post it. It took me a couple hours to take it out. So I have a LOT of video. Also, at one point, the video camera stopped recording, so I don't know how much I lost.

It will take a lot of editing. So it may take a little while.

The TV still looks great, btw. smile.gif

Btw, the ebayer I bought the SXRD chip from said that if you mentioned my ebay name (ShapeGSX), they'd knock $5 off your price. I helped them out quite a bit with some tech support, and they wanted to help out the forum. They probably also wanted to sell them. smile.gif
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281220866414?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

post #15255 of 15270 Old 05-17-2014, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
anyone know of a reliable place to buy quality, hopefully manufacturer's, bulbs lamps for this?? last couple places i got bulbs from didn't last long at all. and yep, niosales was one place. i don't mind paying more if it's quality
post #15256 of 15270 Old 05-17-2014, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookeylama View Post

anyone know of a reliable place to buy quality, hopefully manufacturer's, bulbs lamps for this?? last couple places i got bulbs from didn't last long at all. and yep, niosales was one place. i don't mind paying more if it's quality

I purchased 2 Philips lamps for my Sony SXRD from Ness Electronics. They have an online store, but also have a local store in Milwaukee. The last lamp cost me $136.22 including 5.6% tax. That price included the housing so all I had to do was plug it in.
post #15257 of 15270 Old 06-08-2014, 12:08 PM

Probably a long shot as I know parts suppliers are slim with this tv, but does anyone know where I can find the A3000 diffusion plates- part numbers;
3-214-204-11 PLATE (60L), DIFFUSION
3-214-205-11 PLATE (60F), DIFFUSION

I found a place a long time ago, but I think they were using some kind of drop shipping, and were stringing me along with a canned email every day saying my order would be delayed by one more day... It's still such a great quality TV, and nothing is wrong with it other than the cracked screen. I'd love to fix it and either keep it, or sell it cheap to someone who can get some good use out of it.

If anyone knows where I could get these from a reliable source, or has some they are willing to sell please let me know!
WLGeter likes this.
post #15258 of 15270 Old 06-28-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookeylama View Post
Not sure if you found a place yet, but I've gotten my last two from Amazon.

The first time I got the bulb only and it wasn't a big deal to take apart the housing and replace the bulb. That bulb lasted me three years.

Until a couple of days ago. I just ordered the bulb with housing this time. It is like 20 bucks more. It was a job that just took minutes to swap the new housing and bulb in this time.

They are all supposed to be official Philips original parts. I got mine from the following link for under 90 bucks shipped:

Sony KDS-50A3000 KDS50A3000 Lamp with Housing XL5200

PSN: Dead_Cthulhu
post #15259 of 15270 Old 06-30-2014, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookeylama View Post
I also ordered mine from amazon using their marketplace

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the product but i ordered it from exclusive bulbs, who had two listings this one with the sony part number and another with the philips part number. But it is a Philips bulb as advertised so I am happy. considering the product listing states: Original Philips Ultrabright Lamp Inside, not a generic knock off i feel like you are covered if you get a knockoff and should have no issues getting your money back.

"this is jim Kiler step away from the window!"
post #15260 of 15270 Old 07-09-2014, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My 55A3000 has started flickering. Started to notice it after I put in a new bulb from Niosales. I put the old bulb back in and sent the new one back for them to test, and it tested fine. Since it flickers no matter which bulb I use, I figure it must be something else. I've tried setting energy saver both off and on, and it makes no difference. Any idea what might be causing this? I haven't changed any other settings in years.
post #15261 of 15270 Old 07-09-2014, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No Sound

Moved from SF area to Raleigh last month and when I plugged in the hdmi cord into by 50" in NC, I got a picture but no sound. I used the original box for shipping and the picture is fine but, again, no sound. Have tried to see if there is some sound setting that I somehow have set incorrectly but have not yet found it.

Any recommendations on what might be wrong? Things to try to get it working again?

Thanks.

- Phil
post #15262 of 15270 Old 07-10-2014, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Klein View Post
Moved from SF area to Raleigh last month and when I plugged in the hdmi cord into by 50" in NC, I got a picture but no sound. I used the original box for shipping and the picture is fine but, again, no sound. Have tried to see if there is some sound setting that I somehow have set incorrectly but have not yet found it.

Any recommendations on what might be wrong? Things to try to get it working again?

Thanks.

- Phil
Unplug all equipment Sony is connected to for 15- 30 minutes.
Reconnect all to power after all HDMI are reconnected.
Power up Set top Box first then TV and see if this gets your sound back up.
Good Luck
post #15263 of 15270 Old 07-10-2014, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoxl View Post
My 55A3000 has started flickering. Started to notice it after I put in a new bulb from Niosales. I put the old bulb back in and sent the new one back for them to test, and it tested fine. Since it flickers no matter which bulb I use, I figure it must be something else. I've tried setting energy saver both off and on, and it makes no difference. Any idea what might be causing this? I haven't changed any other settings in years.
Two bad bulbs maybe? What about that little board in the back that powers the bulb? I forget what its called but they are all over ebay. Its a power supply that fires up the bulb since the bulb can not be started from the household current on its own. I've seen pictures of it many times, but again not sure what it is called. I tried figuring out how to convert this TV to a LED system about a year or two ago and I failed. It was then when I was doing the research on the PSU for this thing. To me at least flickering is an issue with the bulb or the PSU that supplies the bulb its energy. I doubt it could be the LCD blocks or what ever they are called, but I am no expert.

Anyway, just some of my flawed thoughts. Hope you figure it out....
post #15264 of 15270 Old Yesterday, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi Everyone,

Anyone know where I can find a copy of the service manual for the KDS60A3000?
post #15265 of 15270 Old Yesterday, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xericmx View Post
Hi Everyone,

Anyone know where I can find a copy of the service manual for the KDS60A3000?
ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/disk1/sourceforg...KDS50A3000.pdf

Or are you looking to buy a real paperback copy?
post #15266 of 15270 Old Yesterday, 11:28 AM

This will work thank you!

Quick question. My TV seems to push red much stronger than green or blue. Is there a way to adjust that in the service menu?
post #15267 of 15270 Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xericmx View Post
This will work thank you!

Quick question. My TV seems to push red much stronger than green or blue. Is there a way to adjust that in the service menu?
Yep there sure is. The red and overall bright colors is what was pushed by default so it would sell better. You can find guides on how to properly tweak it.
post #15268 of 15270 Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm starting to see allot of issues with my TV when displaying dark or shadowed video from any source. It looks like multiple halos going from dark to light. Does anybody know what may be causing this?
post #15269 of 15270 Old Yesterday, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkOrPn View Post
Yep there sure is. The red and overall bright colors is what was pushed by default so it would sell better. You can find guides on how to properly tweak it.
I'm sorry do you have a guide or know where I can find them?

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.
post #15270 of 15270 Old Yesterday, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

I think it may be in this thread somewhere but I don't have time to search for you. I will look to see if I have something bookmarked.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony , Mitsubishi , Playstation 3 160gb System , Displays
Gear in this thread