post #15271 of 15290 Old 08-06-2014, 03:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post
Well, I fixed my A3000's green blob!

I bought that SXRD221 chip off of ebay and swapped it in, and the TV is gorgeous once again! Greys are GREY!

Let me tell you though, that the job is not for someone who isn't familiar with electronics.

The A3000 is set up differently from the A2000. You access everything from the front instead of the back. There are a ton of wires across the front of the unit that need to be moved out of the way. The good thing, however, is that none of the connectors are the same, so you can't possibly hook it back up wrong.

The light engine is set up differently from the A2000, too. When I got down to the SXRD chips, I thought I was screwed because everything was glued together. Also, there was a filter on the chip that looked like it was tinted blue, but the "red" one I got was not. The filter was also adjustable and was hard set with epoxy from the factory. No idea what that setting meant. I was prepared for the filter to have made a difference but so far it looks great.

Mark the placement of the SXRD chip before you remove it. Take pictures. Note the placement of it. You need a REALLY good #00 Philips head screwdriver to remove the SXRD chip. Then slice the epoxy holding the filter setting with a utility blade. When you put in the new SXRD chip, try to align it as best you can. The A2000 repair video online mentions nudging the chip with the TV on, but with the way the A3000 is set up, there is no access the chip. So get it as close as you can. Especially try to get the tilt of the chip right. Then tighten it all down.

When I took out the blue SXRD chip, frankly, it looked fine. No visible blotches. So I wasn't sure it was going to fix the issue.

My new blue chip was within 2 pixels in both directions of the old one, which I then adjusted with the service menu's coarse convergence(REGI) setting. I'll be doing the fine convergence later on.

I did take pictures and a video, but I'm not sure how useful they will be. I sort of panicked at one point and just started working on it without taking more video.

The reason I panicked is that when I put it all back together all I got was a green screen. I mean PURE green! No other colors. I had to take the light engine out two more times and disconnect/reconnect ribbon cables. Turns out that at least one of the SXRD chip cables was not seated properly. Once I re-seated them all, it came to life!

One of the video cables is really delicate, I took care not to damage it.

When I finally got the screen back on, the green blob was gone.

I did a lot of testing as I re-assembled to make sure that the TV was still working as I plugged in cables and routed them.

All told, it took me from 10AM til about 4:30PM. Spent $150 on the chip and express shipping.

Here's the video of the A2000 repair that was very helpful for repairing this TV.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP2nNPOjn_Y

Untitled by shapegsx, on Flickr
Hi Shape, my Sony KDS-60A3000 has been growing the green blob for the last year and it's got to the point I need to replace the LCD panel. The pictures you posted will help a lot but I was wondering if you ever looked over your video to see if you had enough to post some video. It looks pretty straight forward, the only part I am a little vague on is the part about everything was glued together and having to slice the epoxy holding the filter setting with a utility blade. Is that the extra part with the 4 jagged edge tabs and if so did you glue it back? The seller you bought from has it mounted on that part but other sellers do not have that part mounted, it just looks like the picture of your old part. I guess the first step is to get the new part and go from their. Thinking about glueing a straight edge on the bottom and one side before I take the old panel off to aid in aligning the new one but don't know if that will work. I am gonna give it a try. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15272 of 15290 Old 08-06-2014, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam in Virginia View Post
Hi Shape, my Sony KDS-60A3000 has been growing the green blob for the last year and it's got to the point I need to replace the LCD panel. The pictures you posted will help a lot but I was wondering if you ever looked over your video to see if you had enough to post some video. It looks pretty straight forward, the only part I am a little vague on is the part about everything was glued together and having to slice the epoxy holding the filter setting with a utility blade. Is that the extra part with the 4 jagged edge tabs and if so did you glue it back? The seller you bought from has it mounted on that part but other sellers do not have that part mounted, it just looks like the picture of your old part. I guess the first step is to get the new part and go from their. Thinking about glueing a straight edge on the bottom and one side before I take the old panel off to aid in aligning the new one but don't know if that will work. I am gonna give it a try. Thanks
Sam, please try and document everything you learn using pictures and notes as well. The more users here documenting the process the more of us can avoid having to buy a new TV down the road. Let us know how you fair.
post #15273 of 15290 Old 08-06-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I did not glue it back. I have no idea why the filter on the front of the SXRD chip can move relative to the chip itself. I just put it back to roughly the spot I had it before.

Incidentally, I fixed the TV, and then upgraded to a Sony 4k TV a couple months later.

I never did get a chance to do that video. My recording was a bit of a mess, unfortunately. I didn't realize my camera would only record 20 minutes at a time, so it would stop recording and I wouldn't notice.

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
post #15274 of 15290 Old 08-27-2014, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
TV Won't Turn On

TV has run flawlessly since 2007, but now it won't turn on. My current bulb has less than 2,000 hours on it. The TV was working fine Saturday. Went to turn it on Sunday. The “power” light blinked green for quite a while, then switched to red, where it blinks in a series of 5 blinks, then pauses, then does it again repeatedly. No sound or picture, but at least one fan is on. I've been told that the problem could be the bulb, the lamp ballast and/or the power supply. I don't want to sink much money into a TV this old. Any suggestions as to the cause of the problem would be appreciated.
post #15275 of 15290 Old 08-27-2014, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

I read in the A2000 forum that its a lamp driver. Maybe that means a bad ballast? Try unplugging, opening the door, pulling the bulb, looking at it real good to see if it looks burnt (yeah I know this is difficult to judge), re-seating the bulb, closing the door, and power it back on.

Maybe just maybe you get lucky. That ballast/driver is betwen $50 and $100 on ebay and its a common part used in many sets. Good luck
Casio750 likes this.
post #15276 of 15290 Old 08-28-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkOrPn View Post
I read in the A2000 forum that its a lamp driver. Maybe that means a bad ballast? Try unplugging, opening the door, pulling the bulb, looking at it real good to see if it looks burnt (yeah I know this is difficult to judge), re-seating the bulb, closing the door, and power it back on.

Maybe just maybe you get lucky. That ballast/driver is betwen $50 and $100 on ebay and its a common part used in many sets. Good luck
Much thanks. I did as you suggested, and the TV started right up. Any idea why, or how to prevent it from happening again?
post #15277 of 15290 Old 08-28-2014, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casio750 View Post
Much thanks. I did as you suggested, and the TV started right up. Any idea why, or how to prevent it from happening again?
Your welcome. It just means your ballast/driver is probably going bad, or the filament inside the bulb is going bad. Or a sensor. Without tools to test with all you can do is wait and see if it happens again. If your not yet ready to start planning a major upgrade, I would get another bulb and ballast, and replace one or both when it happens again. Once the TV finally dies or is replaced, even years from now, that ballast can be sold back on ebay easily. In fact, once mine dies from what ever I am taking it apart piece by piece and going to make quadruple or more on the parts alone. And then replace it with something much cheaper that is based on LED... lol

Good luck
post #15278 of 15290 Old 08-28-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Your welcome. It just means your ballast/driver is probably going bad, or the filament inside the bulb is going bad. Or a sensor. Without tools to test with all you can do is wait and see if it happens again. If your not yet ready to start planning a major upgrade, I would get another bulb and ballast, and replace one or both when it happens again. Once the TV finally dies or is replaced, even years from now, that ballast can be sold back on ebay easily. In fact, once mine dies from what ever I am taking it apart piece by piece and going to make quadruple or more on the parts alone. And then replace it with something much cheaper that is based on LED... lol

Good luck
Is it difficult to replace the ballast?
post #15279 of 15290 Old 08-28-2014, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Is it difficult to replace the ballast?
I've never done it but I've seen it done (somewhere), and for me that is all I needed. Your looking for part number 1-474-012-11 or the original 1-480-180-11. But i bet its best to pull it apart and take a pic of the one you have and any number on it and send that to tech support at a TV parts store, otherwise ballasts can be a crap shoot. Some have different connectors yet look exactly the same.

You can try https://www.partstore.com or shopjimmy, but I would call them first with the part in question in hand. http://www.shopjimmy.com/sony-1-480-...mp-ballast.htm
post #15280 of 15290 Old 08-29-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
I've never done it but I've seen it done (somewhere), and for me that is all I needed. Your looking for part number 1-474-012-11 or the original 1-480-180-11. But i bet its best to pull it apart and take a pic of the one you have and any number on it and send that to tech support at a TV parts store, otherwise ballasts can be a crap shoot. Some have different connectors yet look exactly the same.

You can try https://www.partstore.com or shopjimmy, but I would call them first with the part in question in hand. http://www.shopjimmy.com/sony-1-480-...mp-ballast.htm
Thanks.
post #15281 of 15290 Old 08-29-2014, 01:16 PM

Can anyone provide a link to installation instructions for a lamp ballast?
post #15282 of 15290 Old 08-29-2014, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Can anyone provide a link to installation instructions for a lamp ballast?
You probably need the service manual, or just need to find a guide to replacing something else that requires removing the rear. That way you can figure out how to take the TV apart. I've taken my TV apart but only the front in order to clean the cabinet out and the mirror. The Ballast itself is self explanatory, it just has screws holding it in place and a connector to disconnect and reconnect. But there may be things in the way and or the cabinet may be tricky to take apart.

I found a video of a different SXRD set that shows the ballast for a moment, but maybe you can ask the youtube user if he can make a video for the ballast?

Here is Sony's red blink video.

By the way, very few people kept these sets this long so that is why there is no longer any help in this thread.
post #15283 of 15290 Old 08-30-2014, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just wondering where you guys buy your replacement lamps.

I'm having a problem with Advanced Lamps. I ordered from them in 2010 - no problems. I placed an order with them again a month ago. They sent the lamp but it didn't work. I've been calling and emailing them - no response. All I wanted is to get a replacement for what I think is a defective lamp.

However, now I'm not sure if it's the lamp that is bad or maybe my TV has just run its course. I bought it in mid 2008.
post #15284 of 15290 Old 08-30-2014, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenkent View Post
Just wondering where you guys buy your replacement lamps.

I'm having a problem with Advanced Lamps. I ordered from them in 2010 - no problems. I placed an order with them again a month ago. They sent the lamp but it didn't work. I've been calling and emailing them - no response. All I wanted is to get a replacement for what I think is a defective lamp.

However, now I'm not sure if it's the lamp that is bad or maybe my TV has just run its course. I bought it in mid 2008.
I've had good success and lowest prices from Ness Electronics. They carry the original Philips lamp.
post #15285 of 15290 Old 09-03-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
You probably need the service manual, or just need to find a guide to replacing something else that requires removing the rear. That way you can figure out how to take the TV apart. I've taken my TV apart but only the front in order to clean the cabinet out and the mirror. The Ballast itself is self explanatory, it just has screws holding it in place and a connector to disconnect and reconnect. But there may be things in the way and or the cabinet may be tricky to take apart.

I found a video of a different SXRD set that shows the ballast for a moment, but maybe you can ask the youtube user if he can make a video for the ballast? http://youtu.be/lvbi0sl4kRc

Here is Sony's red blink video.
http://youtu.be/BLkyFXv2-i4?t=2m10s

By the way, very few people kept these sets this long so that is why there is no longer any help in this thread.
It worked for a couple of days, then died again. I tried the "pull out the bulb" trick, but no luck this time. I've decided to throw in the towel and buy a 60" LCD. Reading through the threads, it's definitely a harder task than it was in 2007. The A3000 was pretty much acknowledged as the best rear projection out there. Now, depending on who's doing the review, there seems to be something wrong with every mid priced set. How's your knowledge about LCD's?
post #15286 of 15290 Old 09-03-2014, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It worked for a couple of days, then died again. I tried the "pull out the bulb" trick, but no luck this time. I've decided to throw in the towel and buy a 60" LCD. Reading through the threads, it's definitely a harder task than it was in 2007. The A3000 was pretty much acknowledged as the best rear projection out there. Now, depending on who's doing the review, there seems to be something wrong with every mid priced set. How's your knowledge about LCD's?
You going to sell the A3000?
post #15287 of 15290 Old 09-03-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
You going to sell the A3000?
Absolutely.
post #15288 of 15290 Old 09-03-2014, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My KDS-55A3000 has that "dull" problem as well. I actually have two of them - one looks much like it did from new with a fantastic picture; the one with the "dull" look has a black level that is more of a navy than black. Overall it comes across with having poor contrast, or at least as opposed to a well-functioning set - yet it is still very watcheable. The strange thing is that a totally black screen has distortions like fireman1000 has in the blue screen he posted above - BUT all the other solid screens still look perfectly normal. I guess I could be in the early stages of failure of the blue SXRD panel. And yes, I did jump on that LG 60BP6900 plasma offered by Beach Camera for $699.99 this past weekend. Its going to be hell to have to worry about burn in again, but the black levels are quite good.

Last edited by tomspoon; 09-03-2014 at 05:48 PM.
post #15289 of 15290 Old 09-08-2014, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think I'm going to be replacing my 60A3000 shortly. Moving to a projector and screen. Leaning towards a Sony with a 126" Carada screen.

Is there any market for this tv still? I personally still think it has a fantastic picture. I bought mine pretty much the first week they were out and have replaced the bulb twice. Still great picture.

Maybe list on Craigs List?

Anyone sold one?

I just don't know if "buyers" want one anymore as it's not to be mounted on a wall.

I was thinking of asking maybe $500?

Thoughts or advice?
post #15290 of 15290 Old 09-08-2014, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have the same model, bought in 2008. It still had a great picture when the bulb went out. I bought a replacement bulb but now the tv won't work. I'm not sure if it's a defective bulb or if the Sony has bigger issues. I had lots of people offer me 300 and more for the TV if I decided to sell.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Displays , KDS-55A3000 , Mitsubishi , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page