Well, I fixed my A3000's green blob!
I bought that SXRD221 chip off of ebay and swapped it in, and the TV is gorgeous once again! Greys are GREY!
Let me tell you though, that the job is not for someone who isn't familiar with electronics.
The A3000 is set up differently from the A2000. You access everything from the front instead of the back. There are a ton of wires across the front of the unit that need to be moved out of the way. The good thing, however, is that none of the connectors are the same, so you can't possibly hook it back up wrong.
The light engine is set up differently from the A2000, too. When I got down to the SXRD chips, I thought I was screwed because everything was glued together. Also, there was a filter on the chip that looked like it was tinted blue, but the "red" one I got was not. The filter was also adjustable and was hard set with epoxy from the factory. No idea what that setting meant. I was prepared for the filter to have made a difference but so far it looks great.
Mark the placement of the SXRD chip before you remove it. Take pictures. Note the placement of it. You need a REALLY good #00 Philips head screwdriver to remove the SXRD chip. Then slice the epoxy holding the filter setting with a utility blade. When you put in the new SXRD chip, try to align it as best you can. The A2000 repair video online mentions nudging the chip with the TV on, but with the way the A3000 is set up, there is no access the chip. So get it as close as you can. Especially try to get the tilt of the chip right. Then tighten it all down.
When I took out the blue SXRD chip, frankly, it looked fine. No visible blotches. So I wasn't sure it was going to fix the issue.
My new blue chip was within 2 pixels in both directions of the old one, which I then adjusted with the service menu's coarse convergence(REGI) setting. I'll be doing the fine convergence later on.
I did take pictures and a video, but I'm not sure how useful they will be. I sort of panicked at one point and just started working on it without taking more video.
The reason I panicked is that when I put it all back together all I got was a green screen. I mean PURE green! No other colors. I had to take the light engine out two more times and disconnect/reconnect ribbon cables. Turns out that at least one of the SXRD chip cables was not seated properly. Once I re-seated them all, it came to life!
One of the video cables is really delicate, I took care not to damage it.
When I finally got the screen back on, the green blob was gone.
I did a lot of testing as I re-assembled to make sure that the TV was still working as I plugged in cables and routed them.
All told, it took me from 10AM til about 4:30PM. Spent $150 on the chip and express shipping.
Here's the video of the A2000 repair that was very helpful for repairing this TV.
, on Flickr