Official Sony KDS-XXA3000 OWNERS THREAD! - Page 511 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #15301 of 15318 Old 11-28-2014, 11:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 43
When you said "cleaning the screen" did you mean on the outside or the inside?

If you only cleaned the outside, you really need to try cleaning the inside of the screen, and the mirror, and the lens if you are careful. I cleaned all of them to perfection myself and it wasn't difficult to do. Quite surprisingly easy in fact.

Try the cleaning guide by basicblak, and if that does not fix it, then worry
Official Sony KDS-XXA3000 OWNERS THREAD!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15302 of 15318 Old 11-29-2014, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevrox View Post
Hey everyone, new to the forum here.

My dad recently gave me his old Sony Bravia KDS-55A3000, which he's had for a few years. I just got it set up yesterday and it's a great TV, love it. But last night I started having problems.

The first thing I did was watch the most recent Homeland and I really didn't notice any problems. I thought it looked fantastic. A few hours later I planned on having a Dark Knight marathon now that I have a much nicer TV, but when I popped in Batman Begins I started noticing a really weird color issue on the TV. The right side of the screen has very light blue and green bars. They were very noticeable during the movie, so I find it very hard to believe I didn't notice it during Homeland. I'm racking my brain trying to remember anything I could have done between the two to **** up the TV. But I also noticed a spot closer to the middle of the screen... I've tried cleaning the screen several times using a microfiber cloth and no luck. Not sure how well you can tell in these pictures, but:
Spoiler!

A couple hours ago I put the same episode of Homeland on that I watched yesterday and can definitely still see the blue and green. So much so that I simply don't believe I watched the show for an hour yesterday without noticing it, it's pretty distracting. Which makes me think I may have done something since? Unless I was so excited about having a new TV I didn't even notice the problem with it.

Does anyone have any ideas for me to try and solve these issues? I'm looking in to Geek Squad Home Repair but if I can find and solve the problem on my own without spending $79 to have a professional look at it that is my preferred choice. Any suggestions are highly appreciated.
I think you are having the classic "light engine failure" that this set is notoriously known to have. This is what started to happen to my set and continually got worse quickly. Sony knew about these defective parts and a class action lawsuit followed and many people got new sets, including me. That time period is over. Research this thread and you'll see that there is a person who can rebuild it for you. New sets are coming down in price, so it may not be economical. Good luck!
post #15303 of 15318 Old 11-29-2014, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 75
As you guys know, I rebuilt my KDS-60A3000. But since then, I've purchased a new TV. So, if anyone is interested in buying my TV in the New England area (and can come pick it up in Massachusetts), let me know. I'm selling it for $250.

The TV ought to have a long life now that I've replaced the defective SXRD chip.
post #15304 of 15318 Old 11-29-2014, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I forgot to link the . These were taken earlier this week.

https://flickr.com/photos/15926686@N...57647188769704

Probably less than 100 hours since the rebuild.

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
post #15305 of 15318 Old 11-29-2014, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post
As you guys know, I rebuilt my KDS-60A3000. But since then, I've purchased a new TV. So, if anyone is interested in buying my TV in the New England area (and can come pick it up in Massachusetts), let me know. I'm selling it for $250.

The TV ought to have a long life now that I've replaced the defective SXRD chip.
I'm interested.
post #15306 of 15318 Old 11-29-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post

I tried sending you a private message but I don't have the minimum number of posts to do so yet. What's the condition of the TV like? Like new?
post #15307 of 15318 Old 11-29-2014, 05:17 PM

UPDATE: I took the TV apart and cleaned it on the inside. The stain in the middle is gone, so there's a big plus! The dots on the top left are still there, however, and the shade of blue and green on the right is still visible. Any other ideas what it might be?
post #15308 of 15318 Old 11-29-2014, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

The TV is like-new in that there are zero scratches, etc. In fact, I've only ever washed the screen a few times with a lint free cloth and RPTV screen cleaner. Only one person has ever physically touched the screen with a single index finger, and they got a talking to! The inside is very clean since I just took it all apart and rebuilt it with a new blue SXRD chip (which itself cost $130).

There is about a year on the current bulb. The picture is gorgeous, as you can see in the photos.

I'm in Worcester.

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
post #15309 of 15318 Old 12-04-2014, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Selling my KDS60A3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kxtr73 View Post
from Sony KDSA3000 service manual:

NUMBER OF TIMES LED BLINKS:

8 Times: Audio Protect Error - Short in speaker line - Check A Board or replace speaker
So it appears that it could be 8 Times: Audio Protect Error - Short in speaker line - Check A Board or replace speaker.

I don't want to even mess with it. I just got a new certified bulb for it like 3 months before I got the 8 blink error. Bulb still looks good.

If anyone in the Beaverton Oregon area and wants it. I I'm asking 200.00 for it. Putting up on Craigslist tomorrow. Message me and we can work something out. No scratches or anything other then error it is in perfect shape and had great picture prior to this happening.
post #15310 of 15318 Old 12-04-2014, 05:22 PM

Liked: 15
My 60a3000 is going on 7 years. 3rd bulb, no other problems.....yet. Was thinking about "upgrading" to a new 60" lg plasma for $500 or maybe a 65" jvc led for $700. What are everyones thoughts? Went to the plasma board and they immediately said pretty much anything nowadays would be a huge step up in PQ considering how long ive had it. Interested in others opinions considering how good the a3000 was back in the day.
post #15311 of 15318 Old 12-04-2014, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
IMO I would go with Plasma especially if into Sports or Gaming. I did not check out the two sets to see specs etc... However just on the two I think Plasma is the better picture.
post #15312 of 15318 Old 12-05-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zildjian View Post
IMO I would go with Plasma especially if into Sports or Gaming. I did not check out the two sets to see specs etc... However just on the two I think Plasma is the better picture.

My thoughts as well, however, do you think i should even upgrade or just wait until the sony dies? (presumably the optical block in 1-2 years)
post #15313 of 15318 Old 12-05-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 444
The longer you can wait, the cheaper and better a new tv will be. When you do upgrade, you will be blown away. A lot has changed in 7 years. Even when Sony replaced mine under warranty a few years ago the difference was huge.
post #15314 of 15318 Old 12-08-2014, 08:23 PM

Pulled the trigger on the LG 60" 60pb5600 plasma for $499 (pc richard price matched to frys), no tax, no shipping cost and free roku stick. Excited to see the difference from my kds60a3000. If i like the LG, will probably put my sony on craigslist for $200-300 im guessing.
post #15315 of 15318 Old 12-08-2014, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by SydBarrett View Post
Pulled the trigger on the LG 60" 60pb5600 plasma for $499 (pc richard price matched to frys), no tax, no shipping cost and free roku stick. Excited to see the difference from my kds60a3000. If i like the LG, will probably put my sony on craigslist for $200-300 im guessing.
That is what I was thinking of doing, craigslist for about $250 and then put that towards a new TV but smaller this time around. Thinking of about a 49" Vizio or something around that size.
post #15316 of 15318 Old 12-16-2014, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello all,

I am looking for some help. We were given a KDS-55A3000 from a friend who hardly ever watched it. He said he has never replaced the lamp and had a spare that he gave me with it. Needless to say it's gotten a lot more use recently at my house with 4 kids and this being our first TV bigger than 27".

Anyway, last night it quit unexpectedly and began cycling through a sequence where it goes through the start up routine (green light flashing) until I hear a click, the screen displays a still image for a second, the power LED blinks red only once (for a split second), then I hear a click again, and the screen goes blank. This sequence repeats over and over until I shut off the power. If power is turned on again, the same thing happens over and over again. I replaced the lamp with the spare lamp (unused but don't know how old), but this made no difference. I tried to power it up again hours later and also this morning, but no luck.

After a few weeks of 55" glory, the thought of going back to a 27" square box does NOT sound good to anyone in my family.

ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Todd
post #15317 of 15318 Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just literally had the bulb burst in my set. Was watching a blu-ray, and there was a loud POP and a flash, and the screen went dark and the light on the front of the set was blinking like it does when you first turn it on. Took out the bulb housing, and I can see the bulb broke inside and there are little shards all in the housing. So I need a new one.

It's been awhile since I shopped for a replacement. Can anyone offer any leads on a good place to get a replacement? I know there are all sorts, genuine ones, cheap knockoffs, and it can be difficult to tell them apart as the cheaply made ones carry the same part #'s. Any help appreciated.

I have the KDS-50A3000. Are there stores where one can just go pick one of these up rather than ordering online? I'm in San Antonio.

Last edited by agentalbert; Yesterday at 07:20 PM.
post #15318 of 15318 Unread Today, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentalbert View Post
I just literally had the bulb burst in my set. Was watching a blu-ray, and there was a loud POP and a flash, and the screen went dark and the light on the front of the set was blinking like it does when you first turn it on. Took out the bulb housing, and I can see the bulb broke inside and there are little shards all in the housing. So I need a new one.

It's been awhile since I shopped for a replacement. Can anyone offer any leads on a good place to get a replacement? I know there are all sorts, genuine ones, cheap knockoffs, and it can be difficult to tell them apart as the cheaply made ones carry the same part #'s. Any help appreciated.

I have the KDS-50A3000. Are there stores where one can just go pick one of these up rather than ordering online? I'm in San Antonio.
I've bought my last 2 bulbs form niosales on eBay. They carry both the original Philips and Osram bulbs. They both have looked great. \m/
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Displays , KDS-55A3000 , Mitsubishi , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony
Gear in this thread