Official Sony KDS-XXA3000 OWNERS THREAD! - Page 512 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

Old 05-14-2015, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Let me document an issue and resolution for the forum:

I recently had an issue with my KDS-60a3000 where upon power-up, the green power light would flash 11 times, then a quick red flash, a few clicks from the tuner and the bulb would briefly come on, and then this whole crazy sequence would start again. The set would not initialize.

I read several different forums and downloaded the service manual. I took the set apart, and cleaned everything and reassembled and it worked for a little while and it happened again.

Ultimately what I found was this: about a year ago, we got rid of satellite and installed an OTA antenna to get local channels (which look very nice btw). Well, it had been a year since we had scanned for channels, and apparently, one of the higher end stations here near Dallas (channel 33.x??) had moved to a different frequency. Well, my kids apparently were flipping channels, and the TV would hang on this particular channel (which it was programmed to believe existed, but had in fact been moved to another frequency and another channel number). My kids had powered off the tv thinking that they would try again later (they are young). But, when the TV is powered back on, it would not initialize and would repeat the above behavior. I realized after much troubleshooting that if I remove the antenna/coax cable, it would power up fine (on that same Channel). Ultimately, the fix was to have the TV rescan all of the antenna channels (which it then removed the 'missing' channel from the lineup). After that, all was good.

Moral of the story: if you get initialization problem where it does not appear to flash a documented error code (such as you get 11 green flashes followed by one quick red flash), disconnect the coax, change to another channel, and then have the set rescan all of the channels.

I was getting ready to replace the tuner board, and I even had a local repair shop tell me it was my bulb.

Hope that helps someone,
shorton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2015, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorton3 View Post
I recently had an issue with my KDS-60a3000 where upon power-up, the green power light would flash 11 times, then a quick red flash, a few clicks from the tuner and the bulb would briefly come on, and then this whole crazy sequence would start again. The set would not initialize.
So that's at least three of us now that have resolved this lamp restart cycle by simply changing the channel.

I stumbled onto the solution after changing the lamp driver to no effect. It never occurred to me that the TV signal had something to do with whether the lamp would light and stay lit. There is a control signal going to the lamp driver board. Maybe the TV drops that signal inadvertently based on the TV signal content. I was on a weird station at the time that looked like a 4:3 image stretched out and somewhat blurry.

I was only changing the channel to get to a known station with a good HD image. I wanted to make sure the optical block and all that was still operating properly and that the TV was worth fixing. I actually ended up on a channel with no signal, so a black screen, but the lamp stayed lit after that and ever since.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Question Trading for oled

I am thinking of trading my kds-60a3000 for an oled. My tv is in bery good condition with a relatively new bulb. Is there a market for my tv? I am wondering what the value is for it.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantasteve View Post
I am thinking of trading my kds-60a3000 for an oled. My tv is in bery good condition with a relatively new bulb. Is there a market for my tv? I am wondering what the value is for it.
There is no market for a SXRD set. I'd give it to a charity and take the tax deduction. I certainly could not sell one of these sets to someone knowing the issues.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
By the lack of activities in this thread my guess the market value of this tv is FREE
My set still looks great.

Newly retired and actively "trying" to down size I think I can give the sony to my grandson.
But I fear my 300 lbs RP 65" Hitachi is doomed for the city dump I hate to do it but.......

Good luck to you

WeÂre doomed. It will never work
Old 08-24-2015, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones07 View Post
By the lack of activities in this thread my guess the market value of this tv is FREE
I routinely see this TV selling for $250-$400 used on Craigslist. I listed mine for $400 last year and got several offers for $300, but didn't accept it. Anything less than say $375 and I would just prefer to give it to a friend who can't afford such a TV. Mine also still works perfectly, knock on wood, lol. I might just buy one more bulb, put another 5000-8000 hours on it (or until the right 4K comes along), and then give it away.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkOrPn View Post
I routinely see this TV selling for $250-$400 used on Craigslist. I listed mine for $400 last year and got several offers for $300, but didn't accept it. Anything less than say $375 and I would just prefer to give it to a friend who can't afford such a TV. Mine also still works perfectly, knock on wood, lol. I might just buy one more bulb, put another 5000-8000 hours on it (or until the right 4K comes along), and then give it away.
I plan on using my SXRD for another 5 years barring a failure. It still runs good and looks great. TV's that can take advantage of the Ultra BD spec will take a while to support 12 bit color, the color space REC.2020 and HDR.

"this is jim Kiler step away from the window!"
Old 10-19-2015, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Shot in the dark... How do I get out of the floating block test pattern? So far unplugging hasn't worked, nor has trying to enter the service menu again. Completely locked up.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

If anyone is still rocking this set, do you know how or if this TV has 1x1 pixel mapping? I have a Nexus Player with a custom rom so that I can have a rooted Full Android experience on the TV. However the Overscan is way off and none of the screen settings fit the screen properly. If I install Kodi it has a Overscan feature that lets me adjust the screen until it fits perfectly. I just want to know if the TV has that setting itself or not.

On Android TV stock rom it has a Overscan Launcher app (similar to whats built into Kodi) that lets me quickly adjust the screen for the OS and all apps. It worked perfectly on Android TV but the app does not work on the custom Full Android ROM. I assume this TV does not have 1x1 pixel mapping, which is weird.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
If anyone is still rocking this set, do you know how or if this TV has 1x1 pixel mapping? I have a Nexus Player with a custom rom so that I can have a rooted Full Android experience on the TV. However the Overscan is way off and none of the screen settings fit the screen properly. If I install Kodi it has a Overscan feature that lets me adjust the screen until it fits perfectly. I just want to know if the TV has that setting itself or not.
The TV does offer 1to1 pixel mapping from 1080 resolution sources. I believe this is with "Screen Settings" "Display Area" set to "Normal". This produces 1x1 pixel mapping on the SXRD imaging chips from 1080 resolution sources. The optical projection system (from the SXRD chips to the screen) is designed with about 5% of SXRD image area projected beyond the edges of the screen. If you have a 1080p test pattern with alternating pixels, you'll be able to see when you have it set correctly. Setting for what looks like zero overscan on the screen will result in the image being scaled smaller than the entire 1080x1920 pixel area of the SXRD chips.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

OK, then my 55A3000 must be broken because it was already set to normal setting. However I found an app "UI Tuner" in the play store that let me change Overscan. Took a very long time but I got the Android desktop and video apps to fit exactly how they should. I bet this old Sony never thought it would become a smart TV one day. lol

Thanks for the information.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I noticed a greenish tint to everything starting about a week ago. Flesh tones didn't look right. Snow looked bluish, slightly green instead of white. I've had the unit since 2008, replacing lamp as needed. Was all set to just dump this and get a new unit, but I'm gonna try one more bulb and see if that is it. Thought maybe the optical block had gone or was going bad on mine, as I'd seen posts about that referencing green, but I think they had a green blob, not an overall discoloration. We'll see. Just ordered a cheap lamp on Ebay as I figured it was worth the $19 to maybe avoid spending $800 to a few thousand on a new set if I can.

This is on a KDS-50A3000 by the way.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My 50a3000 is still going strong after about 8 years. I'm on my 3rd lamp still, and haven't had any issues so far. Picture is about 90% as good as it was when purchased. Probably could use a good internal cleaning, but I worry about screwing something up at this point. I am going to hold on to this until it dies. Definitely got my money's worth out of this unit.

Once this unit goes out, should I buy another Sony tv? Are their tv's still considered some of the best for the average consumer?
Old 06-14-2016, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I moved from a 60a3000 to a 75X850C. Other than some minor "banding" issues with white screens, the TV is lightyears better than the A3000 on almost every dimension. It's amazing how far TVs have come! I used to think that LCDs were unnatural compared to SXRD technology, but no longer.

The black levels and contrast are really ridiculous on the 850C (not as impressive on the 850D).

Quote:
Originally Posted by storey13 View Post
My 50a3000 is still going strong after about 8 years. I'm on my 3rd lamp still, and haven't had any issues so far. Picture is about 90% as good as it was when purchased. Probably could use a good internal cleaning, but I worry about screwing something up at this point. I am going to hold on to this until it dies. Definitely got my money's worth out of this unit.

Once this unit goes out, should I buy another Sony tv? Are their tv's still considered some of the best for the average consumer?
Old 06-14-2016, 10:33 PM

Quote:

90%?

The bulb starts dimming at 500 hours and is down to 50% of initial Brightness at 1000 hours.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCAVS View Post
90%?

The bulb starts dimming at 500 hours and is down to 50% of initial Brightness at 1000 hours.
He was talking about the natural film that coats the mirror over time. At 6 years mine was about 90% also just from microscopic dust particles coating it (you could write your name in it with your finger, lol), but I cleaned the mirror perfectly with worlds best glass cleaner and installed a new bulb and it looked every bit as good as it did when I got it.

I have 8000 hours on my 2nd bulb and I think it looks just fine, but thankfully I only watch TV in a dark room anyway. I have before and after pics from a bulb that had 9000 hours on it and I didn't see that much difference. This time 3rd bulb will go in when 2nd bulb actually blows.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:52 PM

I have before and after pics from a bulb that had 9000 hours on it and I didn't see that much difference. This time 3rd bulb will go in when 2nd bulb actually blows. [/QUOTE]

ROFLMAO is you think you can tell anything from a picture.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCAVS View Post
ROFLMAO is you think you can tell anything from a picture.
Of course, lol I didn't use different cameras, and they were taken with a high quality camera on a tripod. They were taken minutes before replacing the bulb and minutes after firing it up for the first time as suggested by the good folks here at AVS. Quite simple and easy to understand concept.

Are you just here to argue with people or to provide worth while meaningful information?
Old 06-14-2016, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Of course, lol I didn't use different cameras, and they were taken with a high quality camera on a tripod. They were taken minutes before replacing the bulb and minutes after firing it up for the first time as suggested by the good folks here at AVS. Quite simple and easy to understand concept.

Are you just here to argue with people or to provide worth while meaningful information?
Truly clueless.

ISF and THX Techs clearly have nothing to worry about your idea of measurements and calibration, ROFLMAO.

Then again, if you took them minutes after replacing the bulb you have no idea how they are performing after 500, 1000 or 10,000 hours - especially considering the amount of times you have replaced your bulb!
Old 08-08-2016, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Hello, gang. Let me just say I love this community. You can always find the answer to the most obscure questions. I just recently cut cable and am using PS Vue and AppleTV apps now. While watching the Olympics, I noticed that my image was cropped because there was some text at the very bottom of the NBC app that I couldn't read. I combed into the AppleTV settings--which only give a calibration screen--and the TV's. After much playing around, I was left with these two choices. Neither were really acceptable because the thought of the image cropped annoyed me, nor was it acceptable to have wasted screen real estate all the way around.

That brought me to page 487 of this thread where a post from 2010 described how to get into the repairman's menu and reduce overscan. Bam. Went from a setting of 50 to 0 and the calibration screen fit just about perfectly. I was able to also go into the PS4 menu--which lets you manually adjust screen size--and gained a lot more real estate. Amazing! How long have I had this TV and never done this?

Well now that I'm tinkering, I noticed on that AppleTV screen that the upper left side of the rectangle they provide bends in slightly. All other edges look nice and straight and even. Just that upper left side. I wasn't sure how to search for this, though I did try keystone, but I don't think that's quite it. So do you fine people have another miracle menu that can adjust corners of the screen for this described issue?
Old 09-07-2016, 11:25 AM

Well, I am now having some issues with my unit. I guess it is karma due to me bragging that I haven't had any issues yet back in June.

After powering the unit on, the green light blinks continuously, and eventually I hear a grinding metallic sound, and then the red light blinks continuously. I can still feel a fan blowing out the back during all of this, and the lamp appears to still be intact. Not sure what to do at this point, and any suggestions would be appreciated. I had to bring my Sony KDL40W600B downstairs from my bedroom in the meantime.

If unable to repair without high cost, I've been eyeing the new XBR65X750D. That is about as high as my TV budget can go.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well, I am now having some issues with my unit. I guess it is karma due to me bragging that I haven't had any issues yet back in June.

After powering the unit on, the green light blinks continuously, and eventually I hear a grinding metallic sound, and then the red light blinks continuously. I can still feel a fan blowing out the back during all of this, and the lamp appears to still be intact. Not sure what to do at this point, and any suggestions would be appreciated. I had to bring my Sony KDL40W600B downstairs from my bedroom in the meantime.

If unable to repair without high cost, I've been eyeing the new XBR65X750D. That is about as high as my TV budget can go.
This is most likely a failed lamp despite it appearing "intact."

From the Troubleshooting section of the manual:
Quote:
LAMP LED blinks in red • Replace the lamp (see page 44).
Old 09-08-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
This is most likely a failed lamp despite it appearing "intact."

From the Troubleshooting section of the manual:
I have replaced the lamp a couple of times before, but I've never experienced this type of issue before. Generally, when the lamp goes out, the red light stays solid red, and I do not hear any other issues. I truly believe there is more than just a lamp replacement at play here.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have replaced the lamp a couple of times before, but I've never experienced this type of issue before. Generally, when the lamp goes out, the red light stays solid red, and I do not hear any other issues. I truly believe there is more than just a lamp replacement at play here.
Well, the only time that I replaced the lamp in mine, which has now been a couple of years ago, it behaved exactly as you describe. When I tried to turn it on the green light flashed for about half a minute or so, there was a metallic grinding sound, and then red light blinked continuously. The only difference is that my lamp had an obvious break in the wire visible inside the lamp. Replacing the lamp fixed the issue. Also the Operating Instructions specifically refer to the LAMP LED blinking red (rather than stay on steady) when a lamp replacement is required, so if it is staying solid red there is something else wrong. (The POWER LED which is normally green can also blink red for a different issue.) I believe the metallic grinding sound is the result of the ballast attempting and failing to "strike the arc" in the metal-halide lamp.

There are the possibilities of a poor connection between the lamp and its electrical socket (dirty or corroded terminals, or not fully seated). Also a failing ballast, or a problem with the lamp controller are possible, but I think those are considerably less likely than a failure of the lamp itself. Assuming you have assured the electrical connection to the lamp is clean and secure, you won't know if you're throwing away an otherwise perfectly good TV unless you try replacing the lamp. I know that you'd rather know for sure that it isn't another issue before spending money on a replacement lamp, but I don't know of any other way to tell, and IMHO, a replacement lamp has a high probability of restoring the operation of your TV. I wish I could tell you that with 100% certainty, but I can't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Displays , KDS-55A3000 , Mitsubishi , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony