Official Sony KDS-XXA3000 OWNERS THREAD! - Page 512 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #15331 of 15337 Old 05-14-2015, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Let me document an issue and resolution for the forum:

I recently had an issue with my KDS-60a3000 where upon power-up, the green power light would flash 11 times, then a quick red flash, a few clicks from the tuner and the bulb would briefly come on, and then this whole crazy sequence would start again. The set would not initialize.

I read several different forums and downloaded the service manual. I took the set apart, and cleaned everything and reassembled and it worked for a little while and it happened again.

Ultimately what I found was this: about a year ago, we got rid of satellite and installed an OTA antenna to get local channels (which look very nice btw). Well, it had been a year since we had scanned for channels, and apparently, one of the higher end stations here near Dallas (channel 33.x??) had moved to a different frequency. Well, my kids apparently were flipping channels, and the TV would hang on this particular channel (which it was programmed to believe existed, but had in fact been moved to another frequency and another channel number). My kids had powered off the tv thinking that they would try again later (they are young). But, when the TV is powered back on, it would not initialize and would repeat the above behavior. I realized after much troubleshooting that if I remove the antenna/coax cable, it would power up fine (on that same Channel). Ultimately, the fix was to have the TV rescan all of the antenna channels (which it then removed the 'missing' channel from the lineup). After that, all was good.

Moral of the story: if you get initialization problem where it does not appear to flash a documented error code (such as you get 11 green flashes followed by one quick red flash), disconnect the coax, change to another channel, and then have the set rescan all of the channels.

I was getting ready to replace the tuner board, and I even had a local repair shop tell me it was my bulb.

Hope that helps someone,
shorton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15332 of 15337 Old 05-14-2015, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorton3 View Post
I recently had an issue with my KDS-60a3000 where upon power-up, the green power light would flash 11 times, then a quick red flash, a few clicks from the tuner and the bulb would briefly come on, and then this whole crazy sequence would start again. The set would not initialize.
So that's at least three of us now that have resolved this lamp restart cycle by simply changing the channel.

I stumbled onto the solution after changing the lamp driver to no effect. It never occurred to me that the TV signal had something to do with whether the lamp would light and stay lit. There is a control signal going to the lamp driver board. Maybe the TV drops that signal inadvertently based on the TV signal content. I was on a weird station at the time that looked like a 4:3 image stretched out and somewhat blurry.

I was only changing the channel to get to a known station with a good HD image. I wanted to make sure the optical block and all that was still operating properly and that the TV was worth fixing. I actually ended up on a channel with no signal, so a black screen, but the lamp stayed lit after that and ever since.
post #15333 of 15337 Old 08-21-2015, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Question Trading for oled

I am thinking of trading my kds-60a3000 for an oled. My tv is in bery good condition with a relatively new bulb. Is there a market for my tv? I am wondering what the value is for it.
post #15334 of 15337 Old 08-21-2015, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantasteve View Post
I am thinking of trading my kds-60a3000 for an oled. My tv is in bery good condition with a relatively new bulb. Is there a market for my tv? I am wondering what the value is for it.
There is no market for a SXRD set. I'd give it to a charity and take the tax deduction. I certainly could not sell one of these sets to someone knowing the issues.
post #15335 of 15337 Old 08-24-2015, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
By the lack of activities in this thread my guess the market value of this tv is FREE
My set still looks great.

Newly retired and actively "trying" to down size I think I can give the sony to my grandson.
But I fear my 300 lbs RP 65" Hitachi is doomed for the city dump I hate to do it but.......

Good luck to you

WeÂre doomed. It will never work
post #15336 of 15337 Old 08-24-2015, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones07 View Post
By the lack of activities in this thread my guess the market value of this tv is FREE
I routinely see this TV selling for $250-$400 used on Craigslist. I listed mine for $400 last year and got several offers for $300, but didn't accept it. Anything less than say $375 and I would just prefer to give it to a friend who can't afford such a TV. Mine also still works perfectly, knock on wood, lol. I might just buy one more bulb, put another 5000-8000 hours on it (or until the right 4K comes along), and then give it away.
post #15337 of 15337 Old 08-25-2015, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkOrPn View Post
I routinely see this TV selling for $250-$400 used on Craigslist. I listed mine for $400 last year and got several offers for $300, but didn't accept it. Anything less than say $375 and I would just prefer to give it to a friend who can't afford such a TV. Mine also still works perfectly, knock on wood, lol. I might just buy one more bulb, put another 5000-8000 hours on it (or until the right 4K comes along), and then give it away.
I plan on using my SXRD for another 5 years barring a failure. It still runs good and looks great. TV's that can take advantage of the Ultra BD spec will take a while to support 12 bit color, the color space REC.2020 and HDR.

"this is jim Kiler step away from the window!"
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Displays , KDS-55A3000 , Mitsubishi , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony
Gear in this thread - KDS-55A3000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page