Official Sony KDS-XXA3000 OWNERS THREAD! - Page 512 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 510  511  512
Rear Projection Units > Official Sony KDS-XXA3000 OWNERS THREAD!
shorton3's Avatar shorton3 10:04 AM 05-14-2015
Let me document an issue and resolution for the forum:

I recently had an issue with my KDS-60a3000 where upon power-up, the green power light would flash 11 times, then a quick red flash, a few clicks from the tuner and the bulb would briefly come on, and then this whole crazy sequence would start again. The set would not initialize.

I read several different forums and downloaded the service manual. I took the set apart, and cleaned everything and reassembled and it worked for a little while and it happened again.

Ultimately what I found was this: about a year ago, we got rid of satellite and installed an OTA antenna to get local channels (which look very nice btw). Well, it had been a year since we had scanned for channels, and apparently, one of the higher end stations here near Dallas (channel 33.x??) had moved to a different frequency. Well, my kids apparently were flipping channels, and the TV would hang on this particular channel (which it was programmed to believe existed, but had in fact been moved to another frequency and another channel number). My kids had powered off the tv thinking that they would try again later (they are young). But, when the TV is powered back on, it would not initialize and would repeat the above behavior. I realized after much troubleshooting that if I remove the antenna/coax cable, it would power up fine (on that same Channel). Ultimately, the fix was to have the TV rescan all of the antenna channels (which it then removed the 'missing' channel from the lineup). After that, all was good.

Moral of the story: if you get initialization problem where it does not appear to flash a documented error code (such as you get 11 green flashes followed by one quick red flash), disconnect the coax, change to another channel, and then have the set rescan all of the channels.

I was getting ready to replace the tuner board, and I even had a local repair shop tell me it was my bulb.

Hope that helps someone,
shorton

Joe Durnavich's Avatar Joe Durnavich 05:10 PM 05-14-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorton3 View Post
I recently had an issue with my KDS-60a3000 where upon power-up, the green power light would flash 11 times, then a quick red flash, a few clicks from the tuner and the bulb would briefly come on, and then this whole crazy sequence would start again. The set would not initialize.
So that's at least three of us now that have resolved this lamp restart cycle by simply changing the channel.

I stumbled onto the solution after changing the lamp driver to no effect. It never occurred to me that the TV signal had something to do with whether the lamp would light and stay lit. There is a control signal going to the lamp driver board. Maybe the TV drops that signal inadvertently based on the TV signal content. I was on a weird station at the time that looked like a 4:3 image stretched out and somewhat blurry.

I was only changing the channel to get to a known station with a good HD image. I wanted to make sure the optical block and all that was still operating properly and that the TV was worth fixing. I actually ended up on a channel with no signal, so a black screen, but the lamp stayed lit after that and ever since.
atlantasteve's Avatar atlantasteve 03:56 PM 08-21-2015
I am thinking of trading my kds-60a3000 for an oled. My tv is in bery good condition with a relatively new bulb. Is there a market for my tv? I am wondering what the value is for it.
GCAVS's Avatar GCAVS 11:31 PM 08-21-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantasteve View Post
I am thinking of trading my kds-60a3000 for an oled. My tv is in bery good condition with a relatively new bulb. Is there a market for my tv? I am wondering what the value is for it.
There is no market for a SXRD set. I'd give it to a charity and take the tax deduction. I certainly could not sell one of these sets to someone knowing the issues.
jones07's Avatar jones07 03:44 PM 08-24-2015
By the lack of activities in this thread my guess the market value of this tv is FREE
My set still looks great.

Newly retired and actively "trying" to down size I think I can give the sony to my grandson.
But I fear my 300 lbs RP 65" Hitachi is doomed for the city dump I hate to do it but.......

Good luck to you
SkOrPn's Avatar SkOrPn 03:59 PM 08-24-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones07 View Post
By the lack of activities in this thread my guess the market value of this tv is FREE
I routinely see this TV selling for $250-$400 used on Craigslist. I listed mine for $400 last year and got several offers for $300, but didn't accept it. Anything less than say $375 and I would just prefer to give it to a friend who can't afford such a TV. Mine also still works perfectly, knock on wood, lol. I might just buy one more bulb, put another 5000-8000 hours on it (or until the right 4K comes along), and then give it away.
Jim Kiler's Avatar Jim Kiler 06:38 AM 08-25-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkOrPn View Post
I routinely see this TV selling for $250-$400 used on Craigslist. I listed mine for $400 last year and got several offers for $300, but didn't accept it. Anything less than say $375 and I would just prefer to give it to a friend who can't afford such a TV. Mine also still works perfectly, knock on wood, lol. I might just buy one more bulb, put another 5000-8000 hours on it (or until the right 4K comes along), and then give it away.
I plan on using my SXRD for another 5 years barring a failure. It still runs good and looks great. TV's that can take advantage of the Ultra BD spec will take a while to support 12 bit color, the color space REC.2020 and HDR.
DRACONIANDRAGON's Avatar DRACONIANDRAGON 08:04 AM 10-19-2015
Shot in the dark... How do I get out of the floating block test pattern? So far unplugging hasn't worked, nor has trying to enter the service menu again. Completely locked up.
SkOrPn's Avatar SkOrPn 04:46 PM 01-11-2016
If anyone is still rocking this set, do you know how or if this TV has 1x1 pixel mapping? I have a Nexus Player with a custom rom so that I can have a rooted Full Android experience on the TV. However the Overscan is way off and none of the screen settings fit the screen properly. If I install Kodi it has a Overscan feature that lets me adjust the screen until it fits perfectly. I just want to know if the TV has that setting itself or not.

On Android TV stock rom it has a Overscan Launcher app (similar to whats built into Kodi) that lets me quickly adjust the screen for the OS and all apps. It worked perfectly on Android TV but the app does not work on the custom Full Android ROM. I assume this TV does not have 1x1 pixel mapping, which is weird.
KC-Technerd's Avatar KC-Technerd 09:16 PM 01-11-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkOrPn View Post
If anyone is still rocking this set, do you know how or if this TV has 1x1 pixel mapping? I have a Nexus Player with a custom rom so that I can have a rooted Full Android experience on the TV. However the Overscan is way off and none of the screen settings fit the screen properly. If I install Kodi it has a Overscan feature that lets me adjust the screen until it fits perfectly. I just want to know if the TV has that setting itself or not.
The TV does offer 1to1 pixel mapping from 1080 resolution sources. I believe this is with "Screen Settings" "Display Area" set to "Normal". This produces 1x1 pixel mapping on the SXRD imaging chips from 1080 resolution sources. The optical projection system (from the SXRD chips to the screen) is designed with about 5% of SXRD image area projected beyond the edges of the screen. If you have a 1080p test pattern with alternating pixels, you'll be able to see when you have it set correctly. Setting for what looks like zero overscan on the screen will result in the image being scaled smaller than the entire 1080x1920 pixel area of the SXRD chips.
SkOrPn's Avatar SkOrPn 11:29 PM 01-11-2016
OK, then my 55A3000 must be broken because it was already set to normal setting. However I found an app "UI Tuner" in the play store that let me change Overscan. Took a very long time but I got the Android desktop and video apps to fit exactly how they should. I bet this old Sony never thought it would become a smart TV one day. lol

Thanks for the information.
Tags: Displays , KDS-55A3000 , Mitsubishi , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony
First ... 510  511  512

Up