Official Sony KDS-XXA3000 OWNERS THREAD! - Page 513 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #15361 of 15365 Old 12-22-2016, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by storey13 View Post
I finally got around to replacing the lamp. Bought a OSRAM lamp from dlp lamp source and you were right, it was just the bulb! Hoping I can get another few years from this unit.

Thanks!
I'm glad that fixed it! I hope it works at least until there is a clearly superior replacement for it.

I'm still extremely pleased with mine. I think the nearly complete pixel fill (regardless of color) of SXRD projection makes the image a lot more film-like than a direct view display, where over 2/3rds of the pixel is left black when displaying a primary color. The lack of pixel fill is less noticeable on 4k TVs since the pixels are smaller, but I still think it makes a difference. The trade-off of course is less than perfect geometry (mine is near perfect on the bottom half, and bows in slightly on the top half), and overscan (I think mine is right at 2.5%). Color fade is also supposed to be a factor, but I haven't noticed any yet. My Phillips replacement bulb has a tendency to flicker occasionally, particularly when I have power saving mode on (which is part of my preferred dark room settings). It is minor but annoying, and no worse than flicker present in some film transfers on Blu-ray disc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15362 of 15365 Old 02-20-2017, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have a 55kds3000 and since its not in the back room and has a great picture we still watch it from time to time.
The other day the bulb blew and I got a replacement and hey it works...but its not right.
When you turn the unit on after 4 or 5 seconds you start to get a picture then it goes black and the power light blinks for 10-15 seconds then the picture starts to appear, very faint at first then it brightens to normal.
one other thing it seems to dim and brighten at times after it gets warmed up.
Is this a bad bulb or did I do something wrong when I replaced it.
I took the bulb out and reinserted it but getting the same thing.

Last edited by etrin; 02-20-2017 at 12:03 PM.
post #15363 of 15365 Old 04-09-2017, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Has anyone ever tested their fan with the lamp removed? Not sure how to test the fan in order to make sure it is cooling the lamp sufficiently. I need to order a new lamp, but do not want to unless I know for fact its being properly cooled. When I first got this TV back in 2008 the fan was clearly audible, but now I cant hear it. Makes me wonder....

EDIT: More info
1. Two lamps popped last week within 3-4 days of each other. However, both lamps were old with maximum hours on them. First one popped on Wednesday and then the second Philips lamp popped on Saturday three days later. Not getting cooled or just time for it to pop?

2. I can physically see the fan turning, but I can't hear it which makes me think that maybe, just maybe the RPM is too low for proper cooling. Buying another $70 to $90 lamp for it to just go pop days later would be tragic.

3. Are these fans just like any 120mm PC fan? If so, I have plenty of them and especially good ones, such as my award winning Gentle Typhoons. Maybe I can pop in a super good PC fan for superior lamp cooling??? lol just an idea.

Last edited by SkOrPn; 04-09-2017 at 07:28 PM.

post #15364 of 15365 Old Today, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 145
^ I don't know if the fan will operate without a lamp installed, or when the TV detects a failed lamp. The fan will continue to run for a few minutes after the TV is shut off. On my 60A3000 the airflow from the fan is definitely audible near the lamp housing. With everything else quiet it can be heard in front of the television as well. It's not all that loud. I'm sure they designed it to be as quiet as reasonably possible.

There is a "Cooling Mode" setting under "General Settings" that is supposed to be turned on if the TV is being used at a 5000 foot or greater elevation. I have never turned it on because my TV is at less than 1000 feet. I'm guessing that it changes some of the fan parameters (fan speed, duration of fan operation after lamp shutdown, etc.). I'm pretty sure that it increases the fan speed, and that should be audible.

I don't recall reading any fan issues in the past posts here, particularly issues of the fan slowing down.

Last edited by KC-Technerd; Today at 01:26 PM.
post #15365 of 15365 Old Today, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
^ I don't know if the fan will operate without a lamp installed, or when the TV detects a failed lamp. The fan will continue to run for a few minutes after the TV is shut off. On my 60A3000 the airflow from the fan is definitely audible near the lamp housing. With everything else quiet it can be heard in front of the television as well. It's not all that loud. I'm sure they designed it to be as quiet as reasonably possible.

There is a "Cooling Mode" setting under "General Settings" that is supposed to be turned on if the TV is being used at a 5000 foot or greater elevation. I have never turned it on because my TV is at less than 1000 feet. I'm guessing that it changes some of the fan parameters (fan speed, duration of fan operation after lamp shutdown, etc.). I'm pretty sure that it increases the fan speed, and that should be audible.

I don't recall reading any fan issues in the past posts here, particularly issues of the fan slowing down.
Wow, thanks for the information. I also managed to get a reply from Robert who rebuilds these optical blocks for these TV's but he didn't seem to know if these fans go bad or not, or if a standard PC fan would work in its place. He told me he has plenty of Sony Fans if I need to buy one. All I wanted to know was if the 3 wires were proprietary (like Dell fans) for Sony TV use only, or if they are standard PC fans that Sony uses. But again he didn't seem to know.

In my settings on the 55A3000 I only ever seen the low and high cooling modes, which I always left it on high ever since 2008. My altitude is 7300 feet though. Either I am not as sensitive to the fan noise after a decade OR the rpm on this fan has lowered considerably. Either way I have to assume the 1850 RPM Gentle Typhoon would be a much better fan for keeping this lamp cool. It's not as if I will hear a PC fan inside the TV since my PC sits 12" from the TV anyway, and it already has half a dozen fans in it, lol.

In regards to operation without a lamp. No, it will not turn on as I just verified this fact today. So I have to wait for the new Philips lamp to arrive before I can proceed.

Thanks again for the reply.
Rod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Displays , KDS-55A3000 , Mitsubishi , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony
Gear in this thread