Official Sony KDS-XXA3000 OWNERS THREAD! - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 15279 Old 08-13-2007, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone else pre-ordered this thing from Tech Depot (Office Depot). Price seems almost too good to be true especially with 3% Fat Cash.

Just wondering if I'm missing something here...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 15279 Old 08-13-2007, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scJohn View Post

Insly. What is the height of that stand that your tv is sitting on? Do you feel that it is the correct height? I am getting the 50" and I need to get a stand and I am trying to determine the correct height of the stand should be. I guess this all boils down to how are the vertical viewing angles on these sets.

thanks

35" and it's pretty much perfect for our viewing needs. it's decorative like my wife likes and works equally as well as an entertainment cabinet for my needs.
post #183 of 15279 Old 08-13-2007, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddmenkveld View Post

Has anyone else pre-ordered this thing from Tech Depot (Office Depot). Price seems almost too good to be true especially with 4% Fat Cash.

That does seem to be a pretty good price - good find!
post #184 of 15279 Old 08-13-2007, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgreenpc View Post

Sadly looks like the physical space limitaions of my entertainment center preclude me from getting the 60" -

According to Sony the 60" measures
Depth - 16 3/4" (I have 20" available)
Height - 38 7/8" (Sadly I have 36.5" available)
Width - 54" (I have 60" available)

Sigh... and I won't even bother asking if I could "modify" her brand new 6K entertainement unit.... if only I could jack up the hutch by 3 inches....

Just think of it as coming in under budget once. That's one of the other reasons I got the 55", instead of always going with the biggest and etc, I decided to be reasonable with my wife. I compared it with a 60" previous model on the BB showroom and I don't believe I gave up that much, to spend the extra money.
post #185 of 15279 Old 08-13-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insly View Post

Just think of it as coming in under budget once. That's one of the other reasons I got the 55", instead of always going with the biggest and etc, I decided to be reasonable with my wife. I compared it with a 60" previous model on the BB showroom and I don't believe I gave up that much, to spend the extra money.

Thats a good way to look at it, and I appreciate all of your assistance as I have been on the fence with the new Samsungs, Toshibas, etc. My wife hates the way the XBRs look so that was out.

I started looking at this unit the day before you started this thread, but wanted someone to post about it, looks like the only thing I have left to do is to find out who has the best deal, coupons etc....

Just got done adding a Blu-Ray drive to my HTPC.

That brings up a good question, for you Insly -
Any chance you will be hooking this up to a PC, curious as to what resolutions I will have to use ( on my sony KDF-55WF655) I have to use an odd resolution to be able to get the entire screen up.

post #186 of 15279 Old 08-13-2007, 10:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by selphj View Post

I hope that is not true.

It has been true for all previous TV sets that I have read about.
post #187 of 15279 Old 08-13-2007, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgreenpc View Post

Thats a good way to look at it, and I appreciate all of your assistance as I have been on the fence with the new Samsungs, Toshibas, etc. My wife hates the way the XBRs look so that was out.

I started looking at this unit the day before you started this thread, but wanted someone to post about it, looks like the only thing I have left to do is to find out who has the best deal, coupons etc....

Just got done adding a Blu-Ray drive to my HTPC.

That brings up a good question, for you Insly -
Any chance you will be hooking this up to a PC, curious as to what resolutions I will have to use ( on my sony KDF-55WF655) I have to use an odd resolution to be able to get the entire screen up.

I'm really thinking about adding one of the new mini-mac's to it for a PC, I'll report back if/when I do.
post #188 of 15279 Old 08-13-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert View Post

No no you miss understood me, you have the LAST delivery date available for your area for tuesday. there are over 200 in the warehouse.

And the dvd through the computer will be a scaled 1080 picture from a 480 source

Hey Drewbert, I was under the impression that a computer DVD player would scale to whatever the resolution was on the PC. I did not realize that they had limitations. My laptop goes to 1920X1200 and looks great with movies. I figured that if I set my new HTPC to either 1920X1080 or 1280X720 desktop, then the TV would still see it at 1080P, but just scale the 720 or use the 1080 native.

Brian
post #189 of 15279 Old 08-13-2007, 11:03 AM

Guys,

Since it's against the rules to discuss pricing over here, I created a thread over at **************. I'm waiting to pounce on this thing as soon as I find that stupid 12% off BB coupon.

www.**************/t/24/756500/

insly, can you link to this fatwallet thread on your first post? Oh, and THANK YOU for all you're contributing!
post #190 of 15279 Old 08-13-2007, 11:08 AM

OK, JUST got off the phone with the BB rep at the Roseville, CA store. He stated that the Sony 50/55/60 models were released earlier in the month and actually sold 2 of the 50's but Sony recalled ALL the TV's. Now, they have started replenishing the ones they recalled and they have 75 60" TV's that are available for sale TODAY in the warehouse. Looks like I may be going down to BB today to pick me up a new TV!!!!
post #191 of 15279 Old 08-13-2007, 11:10 AM

thanks for all the great info on this new set... was wondering how the viewing angles on this set are... what's the approx. distance you can move up and to the side from dead center (the sweet spot) before noticing a shift in the display image... thanks for all your input on this set.
post #192 of 15279 Old 08-13-2007, 11:40 AM

Quote:

First I was having trouble deciding if I wanted the XBR or A3000 model. Then it was 55" or 60". Now I think my biggest problem is going to be finding a good stand for it and my components. I'm going to be upgrading from a 32" XBR Picture Tube, so my existing furniture setup is not going to work. I've been looking for a while and still haven't found anything that I really like. Sigh...
post #193 of 15279 Old 08-13-2007, 11:46 AM
MGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAC-CA-HT View Post

OK, JUST got off the phone with the BB rep at the Roseville, CA store. He stated that the Sony 50/55/60 models were released earlier in the month and actually sold 2 of the 50's but Sony recalled ALL the TV's. Now, they have started replenishing the ones they recalled and they have 75 60" TV's that are available for sale TODAY in the warehouse. Looks like I may be going down to BB today to pick me up a new TV!!!!

Can confirm this too. Before even reading this post I called BB here in Madison, WI and the salesperson said the same thing. Something about something 'burning up' after 15 hours but he sort of laughed so not sure how serious he was so don't take what he said as gospel. He did say that new ones are already shipping and he could have one for me on Friday the 17th. You've got to hand it to Sony for catching and addressing this, whatever the problem was. More than I Ican say about Samsung's latest slim-line geometry fiasco.

Frank
post #194 of 15279 Old 08-13-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi View Post

First I was having trouble deciding if I wanted the XBR or A3000 model. Then it was 55" or 60". Now I think my biggest problem is going to be finding a good stand for it and my components. I'm going to be upgrading from a 32" XBR Picture Tube, so my existing furniture setup is not going to work. I've been looking for a while and still haven't found anything that I really like. Sigh...

As a budget option, you might want to check out the Lack tv stand from Ikea. I just put mine together yesterday. It will be nice to have a 60A3000 to put on it

Note: the metal supports in between the shelves can be moved anywhere you want to accomodate your components.
post #195 of 15279 Old 08-13-2007, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddmenkveld View Post

Has anyone else pre-ordered this thing from Tech Depot (Office Depot). Price seems almost too good to be true especially with 3% Fat Cash.

holy cow...!
post #196 of 15279 Old 08-13-2007, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGF View Post

Can confirm this too. Before even reading this post I called BB here in Madison, WI and the salesperson said the same thing. Something about something 'burning up' after 15 hours but he sort of laughed so not sure how serious he was so don't take what he said as gospel. He did say that new ones are already shipping and he could have one for me on Friday the 17th. You've got to hand it to Sony for catching and addressing this, whatever the problem was. More than I Ican say about Samsung's latest slim-line geometry fiasco.

Frank

I think I will wait a month now for more reports. I'm in no hurry when it comes to crap like that. Anything with the word "burning" sounds more serious than "green blob".

-Robert
post #197 of 15279 Old 08-13-2007, 12:11 PM
MGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valnar View Post

I think I will wait a month now for more reports. I'm in no hurry when it comes to crap like that. Anything with the word "burning" sounds more serious than "green blob".

-Robert

Well like I said, he kind of laughed about it. Was a liitle reluctant to post what I did simply because didn't want to start any possible unconfirmed rumours. I'm heading to BB now and hopefully can find out more. Will keep you posted.

Frank
post #198 of 15279 Old 08-13-2007, 12:25 PM

I would like to publicly damn insly, damn him all to hell!!!!!!!!!!!!

...My 60" A3000 TV will be here tomorrow

Thanks for the feedback insly and all the help everyone.

SO

Now I could use some quick help (which will allow me to hook this up quickly tomorrow and give some feedback).

+ What cable should I buy to hook up my new Scientific Atlanta 8300HD box? I'm assuming an HDMI, but maybe I should get a 1.3a certified cable (looks to be double the price). I've read that component sometimes gives a better picture (I'm new to this)

+ What cable should I but to hook up my computer to the TV? Never done this before, but would love to. The computer I'll probably use for now is a few years old, and only has the standard monitor out connection.

Any other cables I might need for my DVD player, tips etc... would be great too.

Thanks insly, and to everyone else for the advice (can't believe I bought it unseen).

I'm crossing my fingers.
post #199 of 15279 Old 08-13-2007, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

It would/could make sense as to why the sets were initially listed as "delayed". My order from Sony Style went from "delayed" to "processing". Glad I took the extended warranty.
post #200 of 15279 Old 08-13-2007, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wright View Post

It would/could make sense as to why the sets were initially listed as "delayed". My order from Sony Style went from "delayed" to "processing". Glad I took the extended warranty.

Same here, got the 5 year....pretty cheap too. Though they don't cover the bulb, I asked when I got it *shrugs*
post #201 of 15279 Old 08-13-2007, 12:44 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lands View Post

+ What cable should I buy to hook up my new Scientific Atlanta 8300HD box?

The 8300HD looks better hooked up via component dont know why but this is the general consensus from owners and my personal opinion as well.

I've flip flopped between HDMI and component a few times and you can see a difference.
post #202 of 15279 Old 08-13-2007, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lands View Post

I would like to publicly damn insly, damn him all to hell!!!!!!!!!!!!

...My 60" A3000 TV will be here tomorrow

Thanks for the feedback insly and all the help everyone.

SO

Now I could use some quick help (which will allow me to hook this up quickly tomorrow and give some feedback).

+ What cable should I buy to hook up my new Scientific Atlanta 8300HD box? I'm assuming an HDMI, but maybe I should get a 1.3a certified cable (looks to be double the price). I've read that component sometimes gives a better picture (I'm new to this)

+ What cable should I but to hook up my computer to the TV? Never done this before, but would love to. The computer I'll probably use for now is a few years old, and only has the standard monitor out connection.

Any other cables I might need for my DVD player, tips etc... would be great too.

Thanks insly, and to everyone else for the advice (can't believe I bought it unseen).

I'm crossing my fingers.

HDMI aren't really that bad in price, well as long as you don't go with Monster cables. Only do that if your going 15'+ with a cable.

http://www.amazon.com/s******nb_ss_e...ds=HDMI+cables

Ok link doesn't work, just goto Amazon.com and type HDMI cables in the search box. BTW I don't think you can do 1080/24p without HDMI.
post #203 of 15279 Old 08-13-2007, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Or check out monoprice.com - I'm a very happy customer of theirs.
post #204 of 15279 Old 08-13-2007, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Or check out monoprice.com - I'm a very happy customer of theirs.

Just checked them out, all there 1.3 cables are out of stock.
post #205 of 15279 Old 08-13-2007, 12:57 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokenAshes View Post

BTW I don't think you can do 1080/24p without HDMI.

As far as cable boxes are concerned you won't need to worry about 1080/24 for a long long time
post #206 of 15279 Old 08-13-2007, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDP33 View Post

As far as cable boxes are concerned you won't need to worry about 1080/24 for a long long time

True dat, wasn't exactly sure what a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD box was lol.
post #207 of 15279 Old 08-13-2007, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokenAshes View Post

HDMI aren't really that bad in price, well as long as you don't go with Monster cables. Only do that if your going 15'+ with a cable.

No need to go with Monster over 15 feet either.

If monoprice is out of stock, check out bluejeanscable

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #208 of 15279 Old 08-13-2007, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Hey Insly, I noticed you have Time Warner Cable with HD channels. I have a question, when I'm watching say a movie on HBO HD on my XBR1. I notice during fast action scenes I start to see blocks of pixels as if its not getting streamed fast enough to my TV or something. Does this TV help with that or get rid of it completely? And anyone know why the heck that happens? Thanks again for all your info and help for us soon to be owners. *Goes back starring at the "Processing" at SonyStyle...*
post #209 of 15279 Old 08-13-2007, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well like I said, he kind of laughed about it. Was a liitle reluctant to post what I did simply because didn't want to start any possible unconfirmed rumours. I'm heading to BB now and hopefully can find out more. Will keep you posted.

Frank

He laughed because they are FOS.
post #210 of 15279 Old 08-13-2007, 01:30 PM
MGF

Quote:

Frank

Just got back from BB. Here's the scoop and you're not going to belive it - it was the bulb! Apparently it would pop almost immediately. For them to catch it and fix it this fast would make me assume it was a simple fix. Something shorting maybe. But they caught it and fixed it. The fact that insly's is working just fine put's me at ease. Sony certainly has had some issues in this deparment though haven't they? But I guess all manufaturers have had some issues.

Frank
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Displays , KDS-55A3000 , Mitsubishi , Playstation 3 160gb System , Sony
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page