Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdef wanabe View Post

Hello all
I have a question and it might seem a dumb question. Will the 73833 go 1080p from blueray to 1080p on the Mitsu via hdmi, without out any down conversion to upconversion. The only reason I ask this is I read somewhere and I am getting ready to get this Tv this weekend.

Yes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3509 Old 09-11-2007, 07:00 PM

ok.... not really sure what I'm doing here, but this looks ok to me.

picture mode : natural
color temp : low
contrast 34
brightness 31
color 31
tint 31
sharpness 0

perfect color and perfect tint all default

deep field imager and sharp edge both off

120 mhz on

thinks look pretty washed out, but way better than out of the box torch settings. any suggestions?

oh, btw, does everyones set have a small red outline to the orange bars in the menu? the bar that moves when you raise or lower settings.
post #273 of 3509 Old 09-11-2007, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

hi all, i'm looking at getting a 73833 but am concerned about overscan when connecting my PC to it, for those who have PCs connected how does it look?
post #274 of 3509 Old 09-11-2007, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremxterra View Post

Lujan,

How many hours average did you watch teh old tv a day? How old is the TV. Just trying to get an idea how long the bulb will last. Do you clean teh filter or any other extra maintenance on it regurally?

I got it in September of 2004. I watch it about 3-4 hours a day but I don't know what the hours on the lamp are because it got reset when they came and replaced the DM board because of audio static via HDMI. I have cleaned the mirrors once that whole time and cleaned the filter once as well. I don't do any regular maintenance because it doesn't get that dirty at my house.

lujan
657 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #275 of 3509 Old 09-11-2007, 07:35 PM

tlbowerts Thanks for the reply, it didnt sound right when I read it. Cant wait to get this tv in my house : )
post #276 of 3509 Old 09-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

tlbowerts Thanks for the reply, it didnt sound right when I read it. Cant wait to get this tv in my house : )

I think your be happy with this set, i know i am, i have both the 65734 and 65833 and i think the PQ and color on both are WOW!!
post #277 of 3509 Old 09-11-2007, 08:07 PM

what are the best settings for the tv or do most just keep defaults
post #278 of 3509 Old 09-11-2007, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremxterra View Post

what are the best settings for the tv or do most just keep defaults

I've tried a couple of suggestions by posters in this forum and have ended up going back to factory defaults. I think I will try Avia and another one I have to see what looks best to me.

lujan
657 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #279 of 3509 Old 09-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrias View Post

contrast 34

thinks look pretty washed out, but way better than out of the box torch settings. any suggestions?

Try setting contrast to 46 or so.

Government Warning: The Attorney General has determined that Federal Regulation may be hazardous to your health
post #280 of 3509 Old 09-11-2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

I've tried a couple of suggestions by posters in this forum and have ended up going back to factory defaults. I think I will try Avia and another one I have to see what looks best to me.

My settings are ridiculously different than most I see posted on this site. I keep color and tint around 31, bright bulb (in menu) and bright setting, high contrast at around 60, brightness at about 22 or so, sharpness up to about 56 or so, color temp at high, and deep field on with sharp edge on.

GGH 1024
GRH 1024
GBH 1024

The only problem I have ever seen is my blacks sometimes get 'staticy' in dark scenes but other than that my wife, myself, and anyone that comes into the house are blown a way with the quality in the picture. To solve the problem with blacks I can turn down the contrast and it can improve drastically if I am watching movies or shows that have lots of dark scenes. I am actually nervous to even get it calibrated because I just cant see how it could get any better. In fact I saw a calibrated Sony at Best Buy right in the middle of other noncalibrated sets and it looked aweful. I know I shouldnt be basing such judgements on the calibration skills of best buy personnel but its worth noting.

Again, I have tried numerous settings in this thread and the 734 series thread and none have even been acceptable. A couple were horrible. I think it must have something to do with variables existing in the particular locations, tastes, and our eyes.

a really big HDTV,
a really fast computer with blu-ray burner,
a really nice HD camcorder...
and no software to burn blu-ray
post #281 of 3509 Old 09-12-2007, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielwd View Post

My settings are ridiculously different than most I see posted on this site. I keep color and tint around 31, bright bulb (in menu) and bright setting, high contrast at around 60, brightness at about 22 or so, sharpness up to about 56 or so, color temp at high, and deep field on with sharp edge on.

GGH 1024
GRH 1024
GBH 1024

The only problem I have ever seen is my blacks sometimes get 'staticy' in dark scenes but other than that my wife, myself, and anyone that comes into the house are blown a way with the quality in the picture. To solve the problem with blacks I can turn down the contrast and it can improve drastically if I am watching movies or shows that have lots of dark scenes. I am actually nervous to even get it calibrated because I just cant see how it could get any better. In fact I saw a calibrated Sony at Best Buy right in the middle of other noncalibrated sets and it looked aweful. I know I shouldnt be basing such judgements on the calibration skills of best buy personnel but its worth noting.

Again, I have tried numerous settings in this thread and the 734 series thread and none have even been acceptable. A couple were horrible. I think it must have something to do with variables existing in the particular locations, tastes, and our eyes.

Daniel, my settings are the same as yours and I think the PQ looks Great!! I was amazed at how good the blacks look. I did notice the pixilation in the blacks, but only while watching one program and I atribute it to the Feed. Which brings me to the next issue.

Let me start by letting everyone know my setup. I have the 73833, D* with HR20 5lnb hooked to TV Via HDMI, Xbox Elite with HD-DVD hooked up with HDMI. The HD-DVD looks Amazing; watched Kong and it looked just as good if not better then the linked photos I posted earlier. No noise what so ever coming from the TV. The only problem I have is with the D* Feed.

Some HD Channels look just great while others have Motion Pixilation. I checked other TV'S in my house and it is also noticable on them so it's not the TV. I had a 65 Mits, about 6 years old before I got the 73833 and I guess I never noticed the Pixilation on it; or I just lived with it. I am assuming that due to the fact the 73 is new I am looking for everything and anything.

When the Pixilation happens, it is very noticable. I notice it a lot on Discovery HD when they are showing previews of all thier shows; 1080 Club. The picture changes scenes so fast the TV Doesn't seem to have time to catch up and it really looks bad. I have noticed it on other HD Channels as well. It seems to happening only during action scenes and camera angle changes.

I don't want anyone to be pushed away from this TV because of this post; like I said, I have determined that it is the D* Feed. As a matter of fact, I am looking at Discovery HD "We Built This City" on a Panasonic 50" Plasma as I write this and see the same Pixilation problem. Now I am wondering if this is all because I just had the new 5LNB put in, and there is a problem with the Dish or maybe the MultiSwitch. I would think I should have noticed this more before. I can say that I haven't watched a lot of the HD channels lately such as HDNET OR Discovery HD so maybe I didn't notice it before because of this fact.

To sum up; with the right feed, this TV is all I could hope for and More!!!

Semper Fi,

Bob
post #282 of 3509 Old 09-12-2007, 07:38 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by boucaner View Post
Getting close to pulling the trigger on the 65833.
I did have a question: Is it better to run the HDMI from my components into my Onkyo TX-SR703 (HDMI 1.1), and then into the TV, or HDMI into the 65833, and run the digital coax into the receiver?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlbowerts View Post

It works fine both ways, so whatever works best for you!

I think there is a difference. Assuming the receiver HDMI circuitry is
of sufficient quality, hooking HDMI through it allows source selection
at the receiver only. Wiring it directly to the TV requires selecting
sources at both the receiver (for multi channel sound) and the TV
(for video) -- not quite as elegant.

-- Ron
post #283 of 3509 Old 09-12-2007, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron12n View Post

-- Ron

However, if the TV has an AFV multi-channel output which is connected to the receiver, then you only need to select the input to the TV.
post #284 of 3509 Old 09-12-2007, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielwd View Post

GGH 1024
GRH 1024
GBH 1024

Can you confirm those are the adjusments you made and not the settings from the factory?
post #285 of 3509 Old 09-12-2007, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron12n View Post

-- Ron

Just was letting him know that it would work both ways!
post #286 of 3509 Old 09-12-2007, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcss View Post

I don't want anyone to be pushed away from this TV because of this post; like I said, I have determined that it is the D* Feed. As a matter of fact, I am looking at Discovery HD "We Built This City" on a Panasonic 50" Plasma as I write this and see the same Pixilation problem. Now I am wondering if this is all because I just had the new 5LNB put in, and there is a problem with the Dish or maybe the MultiSwitch. I would think I should have noticed this more before. I can say that I haven't watched a lot of the HD channels lately such as HDNET OR Discovery HD so maybe I didn't notice it before because of this fact.

I'm in a similar situation moving from a 52" 720p DLP to a 65" 1080p DLP with the same viewing distance and all other components the same. The issue is the feed. It has nothing to do with your hardware. The multiswitch does a good job of not introducing noise (although there will be some). This noise will not be noticeable over the macroblocking/pixelation from D*. This is a result of the compression they use (it would be nice if they could send us uncompressed feeds, but there is no bandwidth for that at this point in time). Your 5 LNB dish only allows you to pick up other satellites.

I didn't notice the macroblocking anywhere near as much on my 52", but the resolution on that was lower so it does a better job of hiding it. I'm also sitting the same distance away from a larger set now, so it is easier to see for that reason as well. Basically, it seems that the xx833 sets have amazing picture quality. We just need the feeds to catch up.
post #287 of 3509 Old 09-12-2007, 10:40 AM

wow, have not read this thread in a few days so some interesting comments.

After watching a few movies, and the games on Sunday/Monday I'm blown away still by the PQ of this set. I have a 40" Sony 2500 series that I used to have the HD receiver on but this TV really shines in it. The detail of the field and players were amazing. Not to mention quality of blu-ray on this. Was watching happy feet with my daughter (not one of my fav kids movies due to the music) but the PQ kept me engrossed. The area I think this set really shines also is on standard definition. Verizon Fios input for SD looks great on it. Granted, you have some feeds that are ehhhh but that is the source, not the TV and on anything with decent quality the set does a terrific job.

I'm going to play around with a calibration DVD this weekend , still using the settings from the 831 thread but bumped up contrast and brightness a hair over what they had in there. But from an "eyeball" perspective it looks very natural to me.

No issues with fan/color wheel noise. Seems like a winner to me. Need to make some outriggers for my rears and if my ED subwoofer ever shows up I'll be a pig in S%%%.
post #288 of 3509 Old 09-12-2007, 11:00 AM

Quote:

I think your be happy with this set, i know i am, i have both the 65734 and 65833 and i think the PQ and color on both are WOW!!

If you had to pick between the two tvs which one would keep, this would be based on the value to picture quality and features the 833 has over the 734
if there is any. I am probably overthinking this, I do this with everything so why stop know.
post #289 of 3509 Old 09-12-2007, 11:36 AM

Ron and tl, thanks for the input. The wife got me a Harmony, so the multiple source selection isn't an issue. The bank account, well...

Vizio M701d-A3, Onkyo NR3009
post #290 of 3509 Old 09-12-2007, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you had to pick between the two tvs which one would keep, this would be based on the value to picture quality and features the 833 has over the 734
if there is any. I am probably overthinking this, I do this with everything so why stop know.

The reason i got the 833 is for 120Hz and PIP,as it does make a different with gaming, and my two kids are into it big time, and they like to play different games at same time, so these two features come in handy for us,other wise i would pick the 734 as it has all the color and pic adjustments that the 833 has(but for 120Hz) at a bargin price!!
Yea, i overthink everything too, what my wife tells me all the time anyway!
post #291 of 3509 Old 09-12-2007, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

The reason i got the 833 is for 120Hz and PIP,as it does make a different with gaming, and my two kids are into it big time, and they like to play different games at same time, so these two features come in handy for us,other wise i would pick the 734 as it has all the color and pic adjustments that the 833 has(but for 120Hz) at a bargin price!!
Yea, i overthink everything too, what my wife tells me all the time anyway!

if you have bluray, could you spend some time watching some movies with 120hz on and off and see if it makes any difference. (set the player to output 24hz of course)
post #292 of 3509 Old 09-12-2007, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

if you have bluray, could you spend some time watching some movies with 120hz on and off and see if it makes any difference. (set the player to output 24hz of course)

Does the Samsung BD-P1000 have this setting? I don't remember seeing it? If it does, where is it located?

lujan
657 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #293 of 3509 Old 09-12-2007, 04:05 PM

OK I got my 65833 today.. I tried to display 24hz on the PS3 but it didnt work!!! I have the PS3 hooked into a HK AVR247 via HDMI and from the 247 to the 833 via HDMI.. No 24hz!!
post #294 of 3509 Old 09-12-2007, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

Yes i have bluray, I have already done this, the 1st 5 days i had both set's(734,833) i had them side-by-side and with a ps3 hook up to both( no don't have two, used my siters)and played 6 different movies on both at same time,and for the most part , i/we saw very little different( most times none), not only me but friends and family, since then i'd watch 5 movies on 833 with and without the 120Hz on, and just don't see much differents, have done samething with HD and SD channels, and no big different, what this tells me is the 734 is a very good set for the money, as my opinion is the 833 is the best set out right now ,and the 734 holds it's own as for as PQ with the 833.
Yes, set to 24Hz of course!! Hope this helps you some.
post #295 of 3509 Old 09-12-2007, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

Does the Samsung BD-P1000 have this setting? I don't remember seeing it? If it does, where is it located?

No the 1000 only does 1080p/60 care of a bolt on De-Interlacer. Got to check it out the first time the other night. Still looks good to me.
post #296 of 3509 Old 09-12-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:Originally Posted by danielwd
GGH 1024
GRH 1024
GBH 1024

Quote:

HIPNOTIQ: Can you confirm those are the adjusments you made and not the settings from the factory?

First I have the WD73734 not the diamond series. And you got me in a huffy because I have spent the last hour looking for all the original values I had written down. Now I am unable to find them.

If I remember right, I think I may have adjusted those values but I am not for sure.

But I have read throughout the 734 series threads that people had different out of the box GGH, GRH, and GBH values along with the 'low' values too.

What do you have your values set at? Post your settings.

a really big HDTV,
a really fast computer with blu-ray burner,
a really nice HD camcorder...
and no software to burn blu-ray
post #297 of 3509 Old 09-12-2007, 09:29 PM

Does the 73833 support 24hz???
post #298 of 3509 Old 09-12-2007, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangflyer View Post

Does the 73833 support 24hz???

Yes!
post #299 of 3509 Old 09-12-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass901 View Post

OK I got my 65833 today.. I tried to display 24hz on the PS3 but it didnt work!!! I have the PS3 hooked into a HK AVR247 via HDMI and from the 247 to the 833 via HDMI.. No 24hz!!

Well.. I bypassed the AVR247 and 24hz worked flawlessly!! Looks great. Stupid AVR..
post #300 of 3509 Old 09-12-2007, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZHTGeek View Post

Well I could resist myself when I saw this at Fry's and here is what it came up with on my 73833.

Brightness - 23 (Already I have moved this back to 31, none of the bars showed up on DVE. This is still close to the same level as 23 per the graph it makes for you)
Contrast - 59 (This is high but I figured I will give it a shot for a day or two)
Color - 47 (This seems high as well)
Tint - 31
Picture Mode (Color Temp) - Natural (Everything else tested way blue), Low (didn't get a chance to test this since I only got 1 pre-set but started and ended with Low)

Don't know how valid these are but figured I would share in case people are still playing with their settings. Perfect Color/Tint are at factory defaults.

EDIT: Already dropped Contrast down to 47. Way too bright.

Latest Attempt

Brightness = 32 (GetGray and HD-DVE)
Contrast = 59 (Spyder TV)
Color = 36 (GetGray and HTGuy)
Tint = 31 (HD-DVE, Spyder TV, GetGray)
Picture Mode = Natural (Spyder TV)
Color Temp = Low (High is too blue but might try this again)
Sharpness = 24 (HD-DVE)
Globals = All off except 120hz
Deep = off
Perfect Color = default (need more time in here)
Perfect Tint = default (same as above)
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page