Official Mitsubishi WD XX833 Owners Thread - Page 118 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #3511 of 3524 Old 11-10-2014, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by disalex View Post
Saw this old thread on my list and came to say goodbye, my XX833 is being replaced tomorrow!
I am here to say goodbye to my WD 65833 also. Replacing with a Sharp 70" Model #LC-70SQ15U . Very apprehensive about this move. I cannot imagine living without my Mitsubishi. I have had a 65" Mitsubishi for over 14 years. Time marches on I guess.

I guess it hurts more because this Diamond series DLP has never failed nor given me any problem. Replace the bulb every 12,000 hours which is pretty good. Around 38,000 hours now.

Goodbye dear friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3512 of 3524 Old 12-19-2014, 03:55 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchild2 View Post
I am here to say goodbye to my WD 65833 also. Replacing with a Sharp 70" Model #LC-70SQ15U . Very apprehensive about this move. I cannot imagine living without my Mitsubishi. I have had a 65" Mitsubishi for over 14 years. Time marches on I guess.

I guess it hurts more because this Diamond series DLP has never failed nor given me any problem. Replace the bulb every 12,000 hours which is pretty good. Around 38,000 hours now.

Goodbye dear friend.
I said goodbye to my 65833 yesterday. Been a good faithful set. If I could of bought a new one of the same thing I would of went that route. The reasons I had originally bought it was the split screen and especially the DVR. I bought one of the 65" Vizio's at Walmart on Thanksgiving. Immediately missed all the inputs. I am going to have to buy an HDMI switcher. Too many satellite receivers. I stuck the Mits on Craig's List for $200 including 3 remotes and 2 used, but still good bulbs. Ten minutes after posting I got a text. I was going to include the 3 DVRs but he wasn't interested. If anyone has a use for them I am will to part with them at a decent price. Then I will try ebay and finally pull the hard drives, format them, and use them in some docking stations I have and scrap the electronics. I think a couple are 200G and the other is 80G. Can't remember. Anyway I learned a lot about this set from this forum and I already miss my old friend.
post #3513 of 3524 Old 12-19-2014, 04:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBear View Post
I was going to include the 3 DVRs but he wasn't interested. If anyone has a use for them I am will to part with them at a decent price.
ZBear,

What kind of DVRs are those?
post #3514 of 3524 Old 12-20-2014, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MozartMan View Post
ZBear,

What kind of DVRs are those?
Number 1 is CinemaVU AVHD-80 80g hard drive
Number 2 is Toshiba Symbio 160HD4 160g hard drive
Number 3 is RCA DR2160 160g hard drive

Drives #1 & #2 were hooked up and used regularly. #3 it has been a couple years since it was used but as far as I know it was working fine. In their hey day I would try to grab one up when they became available. The RCA's were way over priced. You must have a firewire connection to use these. They once had their own forum here for people that used them. If you or anyone is interested I will send them for $50 plus shipping. I can send you email of pictures if you want. Otherwise pulling drives and scrapping the rest.
post #3515 of 3524 Old 10-23-2015, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Didn't see a reason for a new thread so waking this one from it's slumber.

I have a 65833 I purchased new in early 2008 or 2009. I've only recently started noticing small black spots (only 3 or 4) in the picture, but didn't really give it much thought. Until tonight while watching the ALCS Game 6 when I noticed a single white spot towards the bottom of the screen. Reading up, it looks like it's likely the DLP light chip which is under $200 and easy enough to repair myself, even for a guy in a wheelchair.

The question I have is this. How long typically before it really becomes unwatchable and absolutely will need the chip replaced? Is there really any rhyme or reason to this game? Obviously depending on use makes a huge part of that and we use it daily, more so than our 55" led Sammy 55H6350 upstairs. A single dot isn't that big of a deal, but looking at images online it will likely get much much worse. I'd just like to know how much life the old lady has in her before we need to find her a new heart.

#itstartedwithone

Last edited by SlammedNiss; 10-24-2015 at 12:42 AM.
post #3516 of 3524 Old 10-24-2015, 04:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedNiss View Post
The question I have is this. How long typically before it really becomes unwatchable and absolutely will need the chip replaced?
I have 73833 that I bought in August of 2008. In spring of 2014 I began noticing those white dots. My wife and I were able to cope with up to 10 dots. When we began looking at the night sky with a lot of stars I called Mitsubishi. They referred me to the local electronics shop. I called them, they came out and replaced the chip. The cost was $200. So TV is still working good. We plan to buy new house next year with basement. If this happens TV will go into the basement.
post #3517 of 3524 Old 10-24-2015, 05:30 AM

Quote:
I have 73833 that I bought in August of 2008. In spring of 2014 I began noticing those white dots. My wife and I were able to cope with up to 10 dots. When we began looking at the night sky with a lot of stars I called Mitsubishi. They referred me to the local electronics shop. I called them, they came out and replaced the chip. The cost was $200. So TV is still working good. We plan to buy new house next year with basement. If this happens TV will go into the basement.
Do you remember how long between that first dot to where you just couldnt take it anymore? Do I have weeks? Months? I mean, does it go pretty quickly once it starts going bad? The chip is $185 shipped with no tax from ShopJimmy, minus another 10%. Video makes it look super easy to change out too. Our local Mits. dealer has a reputation for being expensive so I'd rather just change it out myself.

Yea, I can't justify spending another $1800+ for another quality 65" tv right now. I'd like a 4k, but prices are still too high and not enough content to justify it yet IMO. The way I look at it, it's just a part that eventually wears out and you replace it like a light bulb.
post #3518 of 3524 Old 10-24-2015, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I would replace it sooner rather than later. Who knows how much time you've got left on the other components. It's simple to replace and affordable. Just don't get your fingerprints on it.
post #3519 of 3524 Old 10-24-2015, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedNiss View Post
Do you remember how long between that first dot to where you just couldnt take it anymore? Do I have weeks? Months?
I think it was 2-3 months when we couldn't take it anymore.
post #3520 of 3524 Old 10-24-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Ah, good. I should have some time then. Thanks!
post #3521 of 3524 Old 10-25-2015, 08:36 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Good for you. When the first (black, in my case) pixel appeared, I replaced the chip immediately. I bought a new
chip on ebay for -- if memory serves --$165 and sold my own chip (again, on ebay) for about $100. That second
chip is still gong strong, but I have just bought a new 75" TV and put mine on ebay.

-- Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sell Mitsubishi WD-73833 (2).jpg
Views:	507
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	1016393  
post #3522 of 3524 Old 11-23-2015, 11:17 AM

Has anyone had any luck with getting the replacement chip from Mitsubishi lately? I was told because my 65833 was 7 years old they would not be helping me. Is this just their typical response until you bother them more, or should I give up and take care of it myself?
post #3523 of 3524 Old 11-23-2015, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by infoseeker View Post
Has anyone had any luck with getting the replacement chip from Mitsubishi lately? I was told because my 65833 was 7 years old they would not be helping me. Is this just their typical response until you bother them more, or should I give up and take care of it myself?
Call again. May be you will get different rep with different attitude.
post #3524 of 3524 Old 11-23-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infoseeker View Post
Just call shopjimmy. There is a 5% coupon if you Google. Although I advise you wait until this Friday for hopefully a larger % off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page