Official Mitsubishi WD XX833 Owners Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 3510 Old 09-19-2007, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
well ive been lurking long enough, I usually hang out in the projector forum, we own a dedicated theater with 2 1080p projectors and my wife and I thought it would be a great idea to replace the 13 year 36" sony trinitron with something better, I have a dealer that im dealing with right now, I dont believe that the 73" mitsu has shipped yet so let me be pretty blunt about this since I dont know much about rptvs, should I be looking elsewhere for a different tv? seems like more units with issues are starting to crop up, If I got a bad unit I couldnt just call bestbuy since my unit is coming from california and I am in the midwest and what exactly is my recourse if I have an issue with a unit after its delivered? does mitsubishi send out a tech to look at my unit or do I have to somehow drag this beast into a repair facility, I just dont want the hassle just the straight scoop thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 3510 Old 09-19-2007, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funlvr1965 View Post

I have a dealer that im dealing with right now, I dont believe that the 73" mitsu has shipped yet so let me be pretty blunt about this since I dont know much about rptvs, should I be looking elsewhere for a different tv? seems like more units with issues are starting to crop up, If I got a bad unit I couldnt just call bestbuy since my unit is coming from california and I am in the midwest and what exactly is my recourse if I have an issue with a unit after its delivered? does mitsubishi send out a tech to look at my unit or do I have to somehow drag this beast into a repair facility, I just dont want the hassle just the straight scoop thanks in advance

1. I think you need to ask your dealer what the procedure is on a bad set.
2. Every make/model of TV will have some with issues. Seems to me that there's fewer of these TV's with issues than most other owner threads.
3. Why not just buy the TV at BestBuy locally?

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #543 of 3510 Old 09-19-2007, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Quote:Originally Posted by danielwd
Is this safe to do? I wont harm anything will I? And I never "backed anything" up. Will that matter? Or are the settings already "backed up" from the factory?

Quote:

TLBOWERTS: Yes, it's safe to do, just restores data back to what it was out of box!

Quote:

Quote:Originally Posted by danielwd
Is this safe to do? I wont harm anything will I? And I never "backed anything" up. Will that matter? Or are the settings already "backed up" from the factory?

Quote:

HIPNOTIQ: Yes those are the backup from the factory. Unless you have saved data to the backup (which is an option so be careful not to do that).

So if you go in and mess up the geometry or WB settings, you can at least restore them to the orginal points they were at when you bought the TV.

Thanks TLBOWERTS and HIPNOTIQ. I did restore using backup in the service menu and everything worked out well.

Although I dont think the geometry went back to the original settings because they look perfect just as they did after I fixed them from the original out-of-the box settings. But the 'gains' definitely went back to normal on the low temp settings which is what I was after.

I guess the everything goes back to out-of-the box settings except the geometry points? Those seem to have remained the same as when I fixed them instead of going back to the flawed out-of-the box settings.

a really big HDTV,
a really fast computer with blu-ray burner,
a really nice HD camcorder...
and no software to burn blu-ray
post #544 of 3510 Old 09-19-2007, 05:14 PM

Subscribing for updates (RIP 60" XBR5).
post #545 of 3510 Old 09-19-2007, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

I'm going to try your latest calibration settings when I get some time and thanks for sharing. Before I do that, I wanted to ask what the grayscale changes do first? From reading one poster, he said that all of the other settings really didn't mean anything without making the grayscale changes first.

Oh and these settings

6. GGL -1020
7. GRL - 1050
8. GBL - 915

Were used to correct the grayscale on last years model (if you need High I believe they have those as well). Granted few of the settings from last year do I use but I havent got this one down yet.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...56#post8836456
post #546 of 3510 Old 09-19-2007, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZHTGeek View Post

There are pretty good discussions on the software/hardware you are thinking about in the Calibration forum.

Thanks for the input. I've visited that forum and it's a bit over my head without some type of primer. I've done the DVE calibration many times but that's rather simple versus HCFR.
post #547 of 3510 Old 09-19-2007, 11:43 PM

Quote:

Tom has a nice quick blurb on Grayscale and how to set it.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=852536

Thanks for that link! That was exactly what I was looking for.
post #548 of 3510 Old 09-20-2007, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Oh and these settings

6. GGL -1020
7. GRL - 1050
8. GBL - 915

Were used to correct the grayscale on last years model (if you need High I believe they have those as well). Granted few of the settings from last year do I use but I havent got this one down yet.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...56#post8836456

Thanks AZHTGeek, did anyone write down the defaults for these (GGL, GRL, and GBL)? I forgot to write down the defaults but I think they were all around 1024. Also, it seems like I saw more than one entry for GGL, GBL, etc.? What's going on there or is it just me?

lujan
697 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #549 of 3510 Old 09-20-2007, 05:55 AM

So is anyone loving the 120Hz. I am not sure if I am, it makes my HD programing almost look like it has Screen Door Effect. When I play video games it great, But I am starting to wonder if I get a better picture without it on. I had a Sammy DLP, that was like 3 years old, and the HD picture quality seemed great. Did not have alot of percieved noise in the picture. Now with the 65833 with 120 HZ Im not sure if non motion blur is a good thing. Anybody else feel something is not right with there HD picture
post #550 of 3510 Old 09-20-2007, 06:06 AM

Did anyone find out how to program the tv so cable comes up when it's turned on? I have the hdmi2(which it's plugged into) first on the setup menu. I keep having to go through input until I get to cable. It's very frustrating to have a such a nice tv and have to do this. I looked in the manual and couldn't find anything to address this.
Thanks
post #551 of 3510 Old 09-20-2007, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

Thanks AZHTGeek, did anyone write down the defaults for these (GGL, GRL, and GBL)? I forgot to write down the defaults but I think they were all around 1024. Also, it seems like I saw more than one entry for GGL, GBL, etc.? What's going on there or is it just me?

I remember 1024 for all three as well. All the codes are 3 letters so they start to blend in after a while but I am pretty sure there is only the 3.
post #552 of 3510 Old 09-20-2007, 07:49 AM

Hi,

I just purchased a 65833 and own an earlier model xbox 360 that doesn't have hdmi. I was wondering if anybody could tell me whether the microsoft VGA HD A/V Cable is compatible with the mitts, and if so, whether it provides a noticable improvement over the component cable picture.
post #553 of 3510 Old 09-20-2007, 08:29 AM
TAF

I agree GTarrant your set up is top notch. I am running the 65833 and am wondering if the top of the 73 is wide enough to have your center balance on the top. But there is not even close to enough room on the top of the 65. What is the stand (for the center) and how did you get it to stay ontop of the tv. I have a stand that the tv sets on and my center on the floor, on a stand, but would rather it on the top. Please enlighten me
thanks
TAF
post #554 of 3510 Old 09-20-2007, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotto View Post

Hi,

I just purchased a 65833 and own an earlier model xbox 360 that doesn't have hdmi. I was wondering if anybody could tell me whether the microsoft VGA HD A/V Cable is compatible with the mitts, and if so, whether it provides a noticable improvement over the component cable picture.

there's no vga input, so you have to use components. the difference is probably very slight, if there's any.
post #555 of 3510 Old 09-20-2007, 09:29 AM

Got my 65833 delivered yesterday. I bought it to compare against my Samsung HL-T6756W. Of course, one of them is going back before my 90 days are up. I didn't have the space to compare them side-by-side, but I'd have to say that Mits has a better picture using the settings posted by members in this thread. I'd have to say that SD picture is definitely better on a Mits. I do hear a humming noise when the volume is low enough and assume it's the cooling fan. Can I live with it?... yes, but wish it was quieter.
post #556 of 3510 Old 09-20-2007, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotto View Post

Hi,

Component is limited to 1080i if thats important to you.
post #557 of 3510 Old 09-20-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAF View Post

I agree GTarrant your set up is top notch. I am running the 65833 and am wondering if the top of the 73 is wide enough to have your center balance on the top. But there is not even close to enough room on the top of the 65. What is the stand (for the center) and how did you get it to stay ontop of the tv. I have a stand that the tv sets on and my center on the floor, on a stand, but would rather it on the top. Please enlighten me
thanks
TAF

I PM'd him the exact same question. My 57833 arrived yesterday and I can't find good mounting solutions for my 46lbs center speaker. I built a simple inverted "U" around my 41" Samsung DLP that fully supported it. The way this tv is made all I can see is cantilevering it off the wall without actually resting on the tv itself. The bezel is quite small - I don't want to risk putting weight on it.
Others care to share their solutions?
Thanks
post #558 of 3510 Old 09-20-2007, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

so is everyone generally happy with their 833 models? I have frozen my order temporarily until I find out more about this tv and what my choices for this class of tv are? if anyone can give me some comparisons between this and any other sets that would be great, obviously this setback although temporary does not make my dealer happy but I need to feel that this set (73" version) is best in its class, the pioneer plasmas look pretty sweet too but I think they are going to be more money for the 60" or larger versions.
post #559 of 3510 Old 09-20-2007, 11:41 AM

I too am days away from pulling the trigger on either the 57833 or the 65833. I'd like to know more about the benfits of the 120hz - some are saying it makes the picture worse. The 120hz is the main reason to buy the 833 over the 734. I don't want to buy the Diamond if I can't / don't want to use the 120hz feature. That's just burning a lot of money for no reason.

Help us out with some more 120hz feedback PLEASE!
post #560 of 3510 Old 09-20-2007, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahmzy View Post

I too am days away from pulling the trigger on either the 57833 or the 65833. I'd like to know more about the benfits of the 120hz - some are saying it makes the picture worse. The 120hz is the main reason to buy the 833 over the 734. I don't want to buy the Diamond if I can't / don't want to use the 120hz feature. That's just burning a lot of money for no reason.

Help us out with some more 120hz feedback PLEASE!

I haven't heard anyone say 120hz makes a noticeable difference, except in games.

honestly, I think people are really buying it for the glossy black cabinet and the cool blue lights. 120hz and PIP are just convenient excuses
post #561 of 3510 Old 09-20-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpySmurf View Post

I PM'd him the exact same question. My 57833 arrived yesterday and I can't find good mounting solutions for my 46lbs center speaker. I built a simple inverted "U" around my 41" Samsung DLP that fully supported it. The way this tv is made all I can see is cantilevering it off the wall without actually resting on the tv itself. The bezel is quite small - I don't want to risk putting weight on it.
Others care to share their solutions?
Thanks

GrumpySmurf, I'd been grappling with the center channel question too. My last DLP (a Samsung) had a custom stand, and it afforded no good place for the center channel above or below the TV. I just had it sit on the floor, which really sucked because it made audio from that channel sound source-y because it was too low, and it blocked one of my components on the stand.

This time around (I bought the 65833), I bought three of this unit at Ikea (I know, I know, not exactly prestigious, but it got the job done, and it's cheap):

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90102155

I built them all, then screwed them together, one next to the other, with wood screws and washers. Each stand actually comes with two screws to begin with, so I just went to Home Depot and got more like it. Once I had them together they were really strong and sturdy. I left the backing off so my components would have a place to go out the back.

Point being, if you imagine this 3x3 configuration below my TV, I used the top middle compartment for my center channel. It's at just the right height below my TV and looks really nice. I've got black speakers and I went with the black color for those shelves. Very sleek and unassuming.

Another benefit for you (not so much for me) is that you'll have just enough room left on the left and right of the top of a stand like that for your bookshelf speakers (assuming that's what you have) with the 57" version. My bookshelf left and rights ALMOST fit with the 65, but are a little tucked behind the TV because it's so wide.

I'll post a picture of this in a day or two once I get everything in its final position. Still hooking stuff up. But it looks great and was a pretty cheap solution. Plus the shelves are wide enough that all of my components - even really wide ones like my receiver - have plenty of venting room.

Just one option...
post #562 of 3510 Old 09-20-2007, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

that Ikea rack/stand is way too high/tall for the 65" Mits.

Not to mention that most of the TV's weight (maybe all of it) would be resting on only the middle unit in your 3 unit configuration. The maximum load for that unit is 68 lbs. because it's only particleboard. I believe the Mits is heavier than that.

Don't be surprised if one of these days your TV comes crashing down.

post #563 of 3510 Old 09-20-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAF View Post

thanks
TAF

My center is on a TV mount. The make and model is Vogel Evolution.I purchased it from Stands and Mounts about a year ago. Here is another pic of it.
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...s/IMG_6737.jpg
post #564 of 3510 Old 09-20-2007, 04:35 PM

Has any one had any luck setting up either the Harmony 880 or 890 to work correctly with the 833 series? Still having trouble with the double command issue when TV turns on or when switching inputs.
Thanks
post #565 of 3510 Old 09-20-2007, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUA1957 View Post

Has any one had any luck setting up either the Harmony 880 or 890 to work correctly with the 833 series? Still having trouble with the double command issue when TV turns on or when switching inputs.
Thanks

I've called Logitec so many times that I'm going to try Mitsubishi next.

lujan
697 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #566 of 3510 Old 09-20-2007, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

that Ikea rack/stand is way too high/tall for the 65" Mits.

Not to mention that most of the TV's weight (maybe all of it) would be resting on only the middle unit in your 3 unit configuration. The maximum load for that unit is 68 lbs. because it's only particleboard. I believe the Mits is heavier than that.

Don't be surprised if one of these days your TV comes crashing down.

The room I'm in doesn't permit me to put the couch "the long way" from the TV. I sit maybe 10-12 feet from the set, and it's a great height on that stand. If your eyes were perfectly horizontal across the room they'd fall about 1/3 of the way up the image on the set. So you do look up slightly, but I like that for movies and such.

As for sturdiness, trust me: those Ikeas linked together are rock solid. All of the weight is in the middle? Do you actually own an xx833? It's distributed well across the width of the set, and with sturdy columns formed at the juncture of one bookshelf and another, it's very strong. The only thing I would be worried about weight-wise is down below: my receiver. But I have that on the bottom-middle shelf, so there's no chance of a shelf not being able to support it.

Granted, something like this isn't as heavy as other stands people have and it certainly isn't as elegant, but the advantages are: good placement of center channel, room for up to 8 other components, and price.

I care about my equipment as much as anybody else and I wouldn't recommend something that was flimsy and likely to do harm to anyone's stuff.
post #567 of 3510 Old 09-20-2007, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikhustad View Post

The room I'm in doesn't permit me to put the couch "the long way" from the TV. I sit maybe 10-12 feet from the set, and it's a great height on that stand. If your eyes were perfectly horizontal across the room they'd fall about 1/3 of the way up the image on the set. So you do look up slightly, but I like that for movies and such.

The stand is nearly 26" high. From the base to the bottom of the TV is another 7" high. That means the bottom of the screen is 33" high and the 1/3 point of the screen is 43" high with that stand. I can't imagine your eyes when seated are 43" high. More than likely your eyes are actually even with the bottom of the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikhustad View Post

All of the weight is in the middle? Do you actually own an xx833? It's distributed well across the width of the set,

Nope don't own one, but I fail to see how that's even relevant. Yes, the weight is in the middle. The base of the TV is 35.5" wide. Your Ikea shelf units are about 24" wide. That means the center unit is holding close to 75% of the weight. You're probably right in that it will hold the TV, but I certainly wouldn't place my new TV on particle board. There's many other options available that have shelves for center channels.

post #568 of 3510 Old 09-20-2007, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpySmurf View Post

Component is limited to 1080i if thats important to you.

You mean component inputs on Mitsubishi sets is limited to 1080i right? Because component cables carry 1080p signal just fine, it's the TV manufactures limiting it to 1080i so as to force the HDMI spec on consumers. At least that is what I've read and believe.
post #569 of 3510 Old 09-20-2007, 05:11 PM

Keep us posted if Mitsu says anything, but I have a feeling that they are going to tell you that the problem is with Logitech. They will probably say that their remote works fine switching inputs and no problem with double commands of any type.
post #570 of 3510 Old 09-20-2007, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

has anyone tried to hook up a PS3 and wahtc a blu ray movie in 24fps? does the TV display it at 24FPS? how does it do it ? black frame insertion like the Sony TVs?
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page