post #1261 of 3509 Old 10-14-2007, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharoah999 View Post

Just got my set delivered from Best Buy and I have to say that this set is truly beautiful. I've done some tweaking to the picture settings but all in all the HD picture out the box is amazing. Besides that being able to play Madden 08 on split screen while watching football (all in HD) at the same time is quite a treat. I don't see any geometry issues and the slight noise coming from the set can only really be heard when no sound is coming from it.

I'm gonna try the settings that have been posted here but I want to make sure I save mine first. Does anyone know if theres a way to save the settings on the set or do I just have to write them down? Thanks.

Congtats on getting a good set. These sets do display an awesome pic.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 3509 Old 10-14-2007, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZHTGeek View Post

I am tempted to buy the service manual for this set. Too much time and money already invested for DIY calibration. What I got is what I got for now anyways.

http://www.servicemanuals.net/result...99&model=73833

If you do go pro let us know how "close" we are.

The service manual doesnt explain anything about adjusting the picture.
post #1263 of 3509 Old 10-14-2007, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I took some more pics tonight. Some from DVE-HD-DVD via my 360 add-on.
LL
LL
LL
LL

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #1264 of 3509 Old 10-15-2007, 12:00 AM

I guess everyones set has wacky geometry in the lower left corner, some just worse than others. I've yet to see this so called perfect geometry people are claiming to have. 831's were so much better than the 833's as far as geometry goes, at least that has been my personal experience.
post #1265 of 3509 Old 10-15-2007, 07:24 AM

I got my set last friday from best buy, have put around 20 hrs on it.

First impressions are pretty good. I am coming from a Sony KDS60A2020 and the Mitsubishi looks 10 times better than Sony. No more green faces.

Anyway, I did notice the geometry issue on SD channels. A quick look around the the SM and I was able to get the geometry to where it is almost perfect. Still bottom of the SD channels bow out but for mos parts its straight.

The geometry is the worst when I connect my PC thru HDMI. The top left corner bows in and it cannot be adjusted at all. Other than that the geometry on PC input is pretty much perfect.

I get a slight whine when I have no sound coming thru the television.

I will post pics shortly. I am in the process of moving so pics might not look that well.
post #1266 of 3509 Old 10-15-2007, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrias View Post

I guess everyones set has wacky geometry in the lower left corner, some just worse than others. I've yet to see this so called perfect geometry people are claiming to have. 831's were so much better than the 833's as far as geometry goes, at least that has been my personal experience.

Will I have two of these so called perfect geometry sets (734,833) no wacky geometry in the lower left corner, the 734 was dead on out of box, and 833
1/8 or so off in top left , but easy fix in sm.
post #1267 of 3509 Old 10-15-2007, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperjohnMD View Post

The service manual doesnt explain anything about adjusting the picture.

I am interested in finding out more information about the Service Menu options.
post #1268 of 3509 Old 10-15-2007, 08:15 AM

tlbowerts, where did you buy your set? A tech mentioned to me that the geometry problems can be from heat. As in too much heat, stored in a very hot warehouse for too long ect. The internal stuff can become warped, even by the tiniest degree and it can cause geometry issues. The fact that all of the people with bad geometry all have it the same areas and angles, just to varying degrees could indicate that there is a defect with these sets. Some are lucky, like you, hell, maybe even most are lucky and get a great set. Isn't it a little odd; however, that everyone with geometry issues has crappy 4:3 lines bowing out on the bottom? If I could get the lower left quarter of my screen inline, I wouldn't have a complaint.
post #1269 of 3509 Old 10-15-2007, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

tlbowerts, where did you buy your set? A tech mentioned to me that the geometry problems can be from heat. As in too much heat, stored in a very hot warehouse for too long ect. The internal stuff can become warped, even by the tiniest degree and it can cause geometry issues. The fact that all of the people with bad geometry all have it the same areas and angles, just to varying degrees could indicate that there is a defect with these sets. Some are lucky, like you, hell, maybe even most are lucky and get a great set. Isn't it a little odd; however, that everyone with geometry issues has crappy 4:3 lines bowing out on the bottom? If I could get the lower left quarter of my screen inline, I wouldn't have a complaint.

My geometry issues are worse than 4:3 bowing out which i also have. On the top of the screen both sides bow up. In the middle of the screen lines running left to right are not perfectly straight. With a test pattern just about every single line bows in some direction in the last few inches of the lines. Horizontal or vertical. My set is dead quiet though so im not sure if i want to take the risk of swapping it out or not. My fiance thinks im nuts and cant see any of the bowing but its definately there and noticeable to me on test patterns and regular viewing. Ive tried tweaking via sm but the top lines curl up at the ends no matter what i do in the sm, and the horizontal line which is off cant be adjusted via the sm.

Mike
post #1270 of 3509 Old 10-15-2007, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Huh? Lower left? I see a bit upper left but not enough to get apoplectic over? Now that said see my next post.

post #1271 of 3509 Old 10-15-2007, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post

Huh? Lower left? I see a bit upper left but not enough to get apoplectic over? Now that said see my next post.

Unless it is my eyes or im completely going nuts your set looks to have the same problem as mine. Looking at your geometry test pattern if you follow any of the horizontal lines from right to left they appear to slope upwards.

Mike
post #1272 of 3509 Old 10-15-2007, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Is it me? Today I wake up and turn on the KTLA Morning Show as I usually do, and tune it OTA to see it in HD as TWC doesn't carry channel 5 in HD here in LA. Well I get a blue screen. I check the cable box and it's fine through HDMI. So I try my cable QAM input. Blue screen . So it's not, the OTA part, we have really thick clouds today and was wondering if that had an effect, never did before...NOT.
Interestingly on the OTA signal strength is really strong, just no pic or sound. So I rescan. It seems to be finding channels I'm getting green numbers on analog and digital. Then I change channels and nothing. Well not quite nothing, I'm using my Harmony and tuning the Digital channels. I go to 28 (analog PBS) and get a lock! Now I try the cable input digial blue analog, lock! My digital tuner crapped out? Could I have flipped a switch to kill this? Never been in the SM at all. Help? I'm in 30 days but the picture is spot on, to me!

If I call for service, I'll use BestBuy and it's STRIKE ONE.

UPDATE: The System Reset button on the front worked. It's back to normal. Oy.

post #1273 of 3509 Old 10-15-2007, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post

Unless it is my eyes or im completely going nuts your set looks to have the same problem as mine. Looking at your geometry test pattern if you follow any of the horizontal lines from right to left they appear to slope upwards.

Mike

I hand held the camera, it could be me. I don't see it in person. Then agains ...
also upper left yes.

post #1274 of 3509 Old 10-15-2007, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I got my 833 from Crutchfield (my wife sister works their, so we get very good prices), i know they are high price wise ( for web store, anyway) but will not find better customer service on the web.
yea, it is odd that most on here with geometry issues has bowing out on the bottom, but you know out of the 7/8 i've seen in stores around here, I have only seen one with the bowing in the bottom left like your talking about.most of the bowing i've seen has been with the 73" sets (on top)
post #1275 of 3509 Old 10-15-2007, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZHTGeek View Post

I am interested in finding out more information about the Service Menu options.

It's a good post in the 2007 Mit's settings and tweaks thread by cid67 (page 21, 602 link)telling you about the different settings in SM, also it's settings(called keystone geometry alignments, to help with geometry issues in SM, some it helps a lot, some say it does not help at all. to get to these settings, menu-2-4-5-7 pause then press 0.
post #1276 of 3509 Old 10-15-2007, 09:50 AM

Got the 2nd set delivered on Saturday. So far no high pitch noise this time, its very quiet. Only noise I hear is coming from the DVR's fan.

From what I can tell the geometry again looks good but i could be wrong since I dont have a test pattern DVD. Even if I had one I probably wouldnt use it cause to my eye everythign looks good and I dont really want to find out if I have geometry problems.

Hopefully the set stays quiet.
post #1277 of 3509 Old 10-15-2007, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slawrence View Post

Got the 2nd set delivered on Saturday. So far no high pitch noise this time, its very quiet. Only noise I hear is coming from the DVR's fan.

From what I can tell the geometry again looks good but i could be wrong since I dont have a test pattern DVD. Even if I had one I probably wouldnt use it cause to my eye everythign looks good and I dont really want to find out if I have geometry problems.

Hopefully the set stays quiet.

My third set gets delivered next Monday. I hope I get a quiet one this time. This whole situation makes me feel like I'm playing the lottery or something. I keep praying that I'll win by getting a quiet one with no geometry issues. I'm starting to think I have better odds in Vegas! We'll see...
post #1278 of 3509 Old 10-15-2007, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlbowerts View Post

I got my 833 from Crutchfield... but will not find better customer service on the web.

I agree completely. I used to have their stereo catalogs back from around 1979. Established company, excellent customer service.

Bought my set locally, but got my PS3 from Crutchfield.
post #1279 of 3509 Old 10-15-2007, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Its definately espn-hd via directv that gives me the purple push. Watching nfl count down the guys on the field have the purple lips and everything seems to have a purple tint to it.

Mike
post #1280 of 3509 Old 10-15-2007, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipnotiq View Post

You can buy a good cable for $26. The only difference between a cheaper cable and a more expensive HDMI cable is the connector itself. A more expensive cable may have a high quality connector that fits more exact...but its not worth the cost IMO

HDMI.org specs the mechanical fit. No connector should fit better or worse than another...albeit good ones are more likely to have tighter tolerances.

A cable justifies it's expense by being vetted through more rigorous engineering standards. Once engineered, a good cable goes through a precision manufacture using quality materials. The connector design is just one piece of the pie with solder connections, wire gauge, wire stranding, wire shielding, overmolding, etc.

Always go with a known cable vendor...don't skimp with cheap knock-offs.
post #1281 of 3509 Old 10-15-2007, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post

HDMI.org specs the mechanical fit. No connector should fit better or worse than another...albeit good ones are more likely to have tighter tolerances.

A cable justifies it's expense by being vetted through more rigorous engineering standards. Once engineered, a good cable goes through a precision manufacture using quality materials. The connector design is just one piece of the pie with solder connections, wire gauge, wire stranding, wire shielding, overmolding, etc.

You can say what you want about cheap cables, but stores like Monoprice seen to have very little issues with their cables, lots on forums like this buy from them, so they are doing something right, you can pay high prices for cables if you want , but i have better things to do with my money, when the cheap ones work just as good.
post #1282 of 3509 Old 10-15-2007, 10:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What exactly is it your looking at? That geometry looks near perfect.
I guess thats the problem with internet forums.
post #1283 of 3509 Old 10-16-2007, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post

Not to be argumentative at all but someone sold you a bill of goods and you bought it. That may be the spec's standards intent but reality is quite the opposite. They ae built in China and a very few companies test and certify but the vast majority do not go through the procedures you are suggesting. Here's an article by BlueJeans Cable to expose the truth on HDMI Cables and the reality which is pretty pathetic - Made in China process:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articl...dmi-cables.htm

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #1284 of 3509 Old 10-16-2007, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post

Its definately espn-hd via directv that gives me the purple push. Watching nfl count down the guys on the field have the purple lips and everything seems to have a purple tint to it.

Mike

Yeah I noticed this too, but only see it when they are doing sideline intereviews and not when they show players or the guys in the booth. Only seen it on ESPN-HD also.
post #1285 of 3509 Old 10-16-2007, 07:25 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

Not to be argumentative at all but someone sold you a bill of goods and you bought it. That may be the spec's standards intent but reality is quite the opposite. They ae built in China and a very few companies test and certify but the vast majority do not go through the procedures you are suggesting. Here's an article by BlueJeans Cable to expose the truth on HDMI Cables and the reality which is pretty pathetic - Made in China process:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articl...dmi-cables.htm

The HDMI signal is digital. This means that cable brehaviour is, on
the whole, binary: it either works or it does'nt.

It's important to differentiate between 'engineering talk' and 'sales
pitch'. The "article" states: "everyone would like to know not
only that the cable will work not only with today's equipment, but
with equipment likely to be in use in the future. We may be running
eight-bit color at 1080i today, but we'd like to know that it'll
handle 16-bit color, or 1080p, or some other as-yet-unforeseen
thing, tomorrow." That's BS. Given the same drivers and data
rate, if a cable works for 1080i, it will also work for 1080p. Same
is true for 8 bit vs. 16 bit, etc.

The big difference between $130 cable and a $15 cable is
$115. This difference pays for snazzier packaging, more
advertising and, mainly, higher markup (also known as profit).
However, if it gives you a warm, fuzzy feeling and you are
willing to pay for same, by all means, do. It's your money.
Just don't try to talk others into making the same mistake.

-- Ron
post #1286 of 3509 Old 10-16-2007, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperjohnMD View Post

What exactly is it your looking at? That geometry looks near perfect.
I guess thats the problem with internet forums.

I guess you have to have experienced the lower left quarter geometry problems first hand to understand. Are you familiar with the stretch mode screen format on Mits tvs? If I am not mistaken, it is the one that has the center of the screen normal, and the edges stretched out to the sides, almost like a fish eye view lens. That is what the bottom left of my screen does. On his pictures, the 4:3 line on the lower left peels away to the left as it goes toward the bottom. It isn't just the line doing it, it is everything in that area, if there were 300 lines side by side in the lower left quarter of the screen they would all bend that way. Even if it is not ahuge obscene geometry bending of the 4:3 line, it covers a large enough space to become VERY noticable during viewing. Before anyone tells me to fix it in the SM, you can't.
post #1287 of 3509 Old 10-16-2007, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron12n View Post

The HDMI signal is digital. This means that cable brehaviour is, on
the whole, binary: it either works or it does'nt.

It's important to differentiate between 'engineering talk' and 'sales
pitch'. The "article" states: "everyone would like to know not
only that the cable will work not only with today's equipment, but
with equipment likely to be in use in the future. We may be running
eight-bit color at 1080i today, but we'd like to know that it'll
handle 16-bit color, or 1080p, or some other as-yet-unforeseen
thing, tomorrow." That's BS. Given the same drivers and data
rate, if a cable works for 1080i, it will also work for 1080p. Same
is true for 8 bit vs. 16 bit, etc.

The big difference between $130 cable and a $15 cable is
$115. This difference pays for snazzier packaging, more
advertising and, mainly, higher markup (also known as profit).
However, if it gives you a warm, fuzzy feeling and you are
willing to pay for same, by all means, do. It's your money.
Just don't try to talk others into making the same mistake.

-- Ron

I don't think you understood the article or westa's point.

The part of the article you quoted, was the question bluejeans here's from customers. Yes, it's BS. The article basically says the same thing, if you read it.

Westa also agrees, so I don't really understand the point of your last paragraph. You should have just quoted Westa and said "I agree" or "Ditto".

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #1288 of 3509 Old 10-16-2007, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I guess you have to have experienced the lower left quarter geometry problems first hand to understand. Are you familiar with the stretch mode screen format on Mits tvs? If I am not mistaken, it is the one that has the center of the screen normal, and the edges stretched out to the sides, almost like a fish eye view lens. That is what the bottom left of my screen does. On his pictures, the 4:3 line on the lower left peels away to the left as it goes toward the bottom. It isn't just the line doing it, it is everything in that area, if there were 300 lines side by side in the lower left quarter of the screen they would all bend that way. Even if it is not ahuge obscene geometry bending of the 4:3 line, it covers a large enough space to become VERY noticable during viewing. Before anyone tells me to fix it in the SM, you can't.

Yep, that is exactly what i have on both sides. On the left side it bows out on the bottom to the left. On the right side it bows on the bottom to the right.

Mike
post #1289 of 3509 Old 10-16-2007, 09:32 AM

I've counted 5 people on this thread that have the SAME geometry problem on their sets. This goes beyond the, "there is no such thing as a perfect set" argument that walt's tv keeps trying to push down my throat. Should I contact Mits or what? I know I said that I was going to sell the set, but the three people that have come to see it can all see the problem with geometry. These are not technically minded people, it just is that bad that it can not be missed. Nobody wants to buy this tv like it is. I even offered to let it go for 2500 to a family member, they declined due to the stretching apperance of the lower left corner. Remember this is a 73833 and people wont pay even 2500 for it. Bottom line is, those of us with this wierd geometry problem have defective sets, there can not be so many people with the same exact geometry issue. An acceptable geometry issue would be unique to each set, a repeated issue like this is a manufacturer's defect. So, again, do I call Mits? The dealer is worthless, like I said before, I have been on the phone with Walt's TV since about 4 or 5 days after the purchase, and they have flat out denied to allow me to exchange or return the set despite being within their 30 day return policy.
post #1290 of 3509 Old 10-16-2007, 09:43 AM

Quote:

I've counted 5 people on this thread that have the SAME geometry problem on their sets. This goes beyond the, "there is no such thing as a perfect set" argument that walt's tv keeps trying to push down my throat. Should I contact Mits or what? I know I said that I was going to sell the set, but the three people that have come to see it can all see the problem with geometry. These are not technically minded people, it just is that bad that it can not be missed. Nobody wants to buy this tv like it is. I even offered to let it go for 2500 to a family member, they declined due to the stretching apperance of the lower left corner. Remember this is a 73833 and people wont pay even 2500 for it. Bottom line is, those of us with this wierd geometry problem have defective sets, there can not be so many people with the same exact geometry issue. An acceptable geometry issue would be unique to each set, a repeated issue like this is a manufacturer's defect. So, again, do I call Mits? The dealer is worthless, like I said before, I have been on the phone with Walt's TV since about 4 or 5 days after the purchase, and they have flat out denied to allow me to exchange or return the set despite being within their 30 day return policy.

I'd definitely call Mits and tell them the situation with the set and with Walts. Is there only 1 Walts TV? If not call corporate and tell them the situation.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page