post #1921 of 3509 Old 12-14-2007, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by barney13 View Post

Thought this might be of interest.

I had a Mitsubishi 73833 for almost a month. I used the settings recommended on this forum and thought the picture was great. Everything worked perfectly and the fan was barely noticeable. And, I had purchased it at great price.

A week ago, I was in a local store where they had the 73833 playing next to the Samsung 7288. The movie was Fantastic 4, and the Samsung definitely had more "pop." Glittering stars were more clear and words and details in the distance were more clear. So, I returned the 73833 and got the 7288.

I now feel this was a mistake. There is no question that the Samsung is better on HD DVDs and BR DVDs. But, it is worse on regular DVDs and 1080i Comcast broadcasts, and it is terrible, much worse, on SD broadcasts. The Samsung only displays at 1920 x 1080, i.e., it upscales everything to 1080p. With the Mitsu, the info. button would show the resolution of the actual input. Samsung is 1080p on everything. I have the Onkyo NR905 which will also upscale to 1080p, but I left it at not up-scaling with the Mitsubishi, because the 480p, 1080i or 1080p always looked good.

Anyway, since there is more to TV than HD movies, I'll return the Samsung. Unfortunately, I'll never get a deal again in the near future like I got on the Mitsu ($3k). Does anyone think it would make sense to get the Mitsu 73734, since I couldn't tell any difference with 120 hz and the other upgrades on the 73833 don't mean much to me?

Anyway, I thought the group might be interested in the comments from someone who had experienced both of these TVs.

Both tv's upscale everything to 1080p. What you were seeing in the display is the signal the tv is receiving. It is just a question of which does it best. If the features of the 833 don't matter then the 734 would probably be best for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1922 of 3509 Old 12-15-2007, 07:47 PM

Newbie question here: What are the key differences between the 734 and 833? I had a 734 delivered with a cracked screen and now can buy either the 833 or another 734. What are the main benefits of the 833 over the 734?

Any comments appreciated!
Thanks
post #1923 of 3509 Old 12-15-2007, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

"You can do whatever you want, but it's very hard to read your posts when you don't use the quote feature."

How did we ever understand what we read without forum quote features?

Man, you can't be that much of an idiot.

People try and help you and you come back with nonsense posts every time.

Other members point out to you that your posts aren't clear. That they're hard to read and you don't care. You could care less about other peoples experiences on the board. You could care less about anybody but yourself.

Look at the post you just wrote. Do you think anyone else would know what the heck you're talking about? Do you? Do you care?

If you're going to continue to post BS that's confusing to everyone on the board, why don't you just stop posting or get some help.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #1924 of 3509 Old 12-15-2007, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
barney,

So both the 883 and 7288 have better upscaling and better de-interlacing for HD material than the Reon chip in the NR905? (Can anyone else confirm that?) I've been considering getting either the 875 or 905, but since i'm also getting an 833 (if the laser DLP is not announced a CES), I may consider the Denon 3808ci.
post #1925 of 3509 Old 12-16-2007, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

... You could care less about other peoples experiences on the board. You could care less about anybody but yourself.

The correct phrase is "couldn't care less..." not "could care less...".

lujan
673 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
7 DVD
post #1926 of 3509 Old 12-16-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburly View Post

Newbie question here: What are the key differences between the 734 and 833? I had a 734 delivered with a cracked screen and now can buy either the 833 or another 734. What are the main benefits of the 833 over the 734?

Thanks

And...thanks again. Maybe I should have asked a question that pissed people off. That seems to get more responses.
post #1927 of 3509 Old 12-16-2007, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

The correct prase is "couldn't care less..." not "could care less...".

Are we correcting all grammar, spelling and punctuation errors now?

FYI, the word "phrase" has an "h" in it and you're missing a comma after your first quotation.

If you're going to correct someone, you should try and make sure yours is right.

post #1928 of 3509 Old 12-16-2007, 11:36 AM

I have been lurking around the AVS site for a while now as I was thinking about replacing my older Sony KP61HS10. This last set has been great and I was leaning towards replacing it with another Sony as I was so satisfied.

For a few weeks I read through most all of the review threads and it seemed the Sony 60" LCOS set was highly praised. My buddy had recently bought a Samsung 61" so I was also looking at that set. I went to BB, CC, FRY's multiple times and watched the sets. Honestly, I was not blown away that much. That was until I saw a blu-ray playing on a Philips 50" LCD. I was floored, the picture popped off the screen and the detail was nothing short of amazing. At this point I was dissapointed as I was sure I would never get that kind of 'pop' from a 61 or 65" TV, expecially a DLP set.

So I set my sights a bit lower and looked harder at the Sony and Samsung. I'm sure it was a setup issue, but of the 3-4 Sony 60" set's, none impressed me. The Samsung seemed to have deeper colors and better blacks.

So one day I'm at BB and a Mitsubishi rep is there. He sees me eyeballing the Samsung and asks if I had looked at the Mit's. I told him no, I'd never owner a Mit's, nor did I know anyone who did. I always seemed to consider them lower end, based upon absolutely nothing. So the rep shows me a blu-ray disc on the 65833, and I'm stunned. Same level of pop and detail as I had seen before. Now I'm really excited, but cautiously I asked to see the same disc on the Samsung. Well, it was also sweet, but the reds were truer, the contrast was better, and the detail was better on the Mit's to my eyes. The 120 hz seemed to make the picture clearer on a football game. I liked that it supported 24 frame, 1.3 HDMI, split screen, and had 10 bit color support.

So I pulled the trigger on a 65833, and a Panasonic BD30 as well as a new stand and some cables (that I will be returning due to feeling raped).

After setting it up we watched some 1080i HD football that was simply amazing off cable. Then we put in ratatouille blu-ray. Oh my god, the picture was stunning, to me it was unbelievably clear, I could count the hair on the rats, and the colors were literally popping off the screen. I needd to research to see which BR disc's are the best.

Anyway, my set makes no noise other than the color wheel which you have to strain to hear in an absolutely quiet room. I can hear my dog breathe louder.

Anyway, very happy new owner here.
post #1929 of 3509 Old 12-16-2007, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"If you're going to continue to post BS that's confusing to everyone on the board, why don't you just stop posting or get some help."

All because I prefer to use quote marks? Gee Stew. Wish I could say you response surprises me but with your other posts your comment is about what I'd expect from you.

You are telling me the only way you can follow a post with quote marks is if the poster uses the quote function and want to accuse me of being an idiot at the same time?

Funny.

You have gone personal a couple of times now. Maybe you need a break?

Jim

"Look at the post you just wrote. Do you think anyone else would know what the heck you're talking about? Do you? Do you care?"

Couldn't resist this one either. So I didn't use the quote functions, I used tried and proving quote marks, you obviously understood it enough to make a hostile reply, but in your reply you act as if no one can understand my posts cause I used quote marks? Amazing.

Stew....are you easily distracted by shiny objects as well?

Yes, I know what you're referring to because you're quoting me. And don't say you prefer to use quote marks. You didn't know the quote feature was there and you're too stubborn to just admit it and start using it.

The point which you just can't seem to comprehend, is that NOBODY else would know what they hell you're talking about unless they looked at your little quotation and then went back and looked at every previous post until they found it.

That's why you're an idiot. You can't even understand that just because you know who you're quoting and the person your quoting knows, NOBODY else would. It makes it that much harder for anyone else to follow along.

It's about common courtesy to the others reading the board.

There's several posts by you in this forum, where you quoted someone and FORGOT to use the quote marks. So, it looks like you're saying something and then either agreeing or disagreeing with yourself. Like this one:

Quote:

It's not arrogance, it's purity.

I'm sorry but telling people what they are suppose to enjoy watching and if they don't enjoy it YOUR way than there is something wrong with them, that is arrogance.

If you prefer not to stretch the picture I hope you always get to watch your tv the way you want. You telling me how I am suppose to watch my TV to enjoy it and that if I don't agree with you, somehow I fall into a category of "futile", that is very arrogant on your part.

I will watch the tv the way I like. Not the way you or some magazine tells me I'm suppose to.

Jim

Where's the quote there? It looks like you're arguing with yourself doesn't it?

This started out as a simple SUGGESTION to please use the quote tag. That's what it's there for. It's there to make the board easier to read. Instead of just saying "OK", you have to continue to be a jerk about it.

post #1930 of 3509 Old 12-16-2007, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Stew....

U seem to have a problem with me and not doing what you want me to do, like what you want me to like, watch things the way you want me to watch them.

As far as the forum goes I will do my best to follow each rule 100 percent. I am a guest on this forum. I will follow the rules to the max as best I can.

Is there a rule that says I HAVE to do what you want? That I have to use the quote function?

If not, this is about your opinion. And we all know what is said about opinions.

Jim

Again, I never once said you needed to watch anything the way I do. Are you really that dense? Can you not read English?

I made one suggestion that it's hard to understand your posts when you quote someone simply by copying and pasting their remarks, usually without quote marks or any connection to what you're quoting.

For some reason, you have to take that as a personal affront and even though you must be able to see the benefit, you refuse to do it thereby making all of your posts harder to understand for everyone on the board.

No, it's not a rule. Some things should just be common sense.

post #1931 of 3509 Old 12-16-2007, 12:31 PM

How about you guys that feel the need to bicker on a public forum take it to PM's and keep it amongst yourselves. This thread is to good to have you guys messing it up.
post #1932 of 3509 Old 12-16-2007, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

Are we correcting all grammar, spelling and punctuation errors now?

FYI, the word "phrase" has an "h" in it and you're missing a comma after your first quotation.

If you're going to correct someone, you should try and make sure yours is right.

I've corrected my spelling but I believe you're the one that started this whole mess.

lujan
673 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
7 DVD
post #1933 of 3509 Old 12-16-2007, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburly View Post

Thanks

833 has picture in picture for two hd sources as long as they are not both hdmi. Lots of times I will watch two football games at a time. The pip is a must for me. It has the 120 hz refresh which to me does nothing.
post #1934 of 3509 Old 12-16-2007, 08:04 PM

All of you folks who have gotten drawn into this little pissing contest of mores, can we please let it die and keep this thread on xx833 Mitsubishi TVs?

I'm getting my 73833 tomorrow, and I'm really excited...

-- jas
post #1935 of 3509 Old 12-17-2007, 09:19 AM

I bought a 73W833 two weeks ago. I adjusted the settings according to the recommendations on this forum and I'm quite happy with the picture from a color and black/white level perspective.

Xbox 360 games look great via component (the cheapy microsoft cable), my HD satellite via HDMI looks ok (sometimes a bit pixelly), but I'm having issues with my HD-DVD picture quality(Xbox 360 add on via component).

I've watched a few discs on it, most recenly Oceans 13 and The Bourne Ultimatum.

O13 seemed to be very noisy and grainy, to the point of severe color distortion on people's faces in some of the "redder" scenes.

Other HD-DVD's have seemed noisy in the dark black areas of the picture.

The Bourne Ultimatum didn't have this problem, but I was getting pretty bad ghosting during fast motion . . . seeing the outline of someone lagging behind as they were running, for example. I tried with 120Hz on and off and didn't see much difference.

I'm thinking it's either A.)the Xbox HDDVD drive, B.)The TV's handling of film content, or C.)some setting that I'm missing or have wrong.

Does anyone else have these issues? Any suggestions for some settings to try?

BTW, I had "the noise" for one day (the second day of ownership) and I haven't heard it since. If I can get these HD-DVD issues resolved, I'll be very pleased with this set!
post #1936 of 3509 Old 12-17-2007, 09:25 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

I love the way my Toshiba 62" HDTV has a "full" option which, if you look at the manual, doesn't "stretch" the pic the way the Mitzy does - it KEEPS the aspect/ratio but fills your screen. The Mitzy (73833) I have literally 'stretches' the 4:3 pic and makes it looks 'funky' So I don't use it. I let my HDTiVo use "full" mode for 4:3 SD stuff. HD stuff? ALWAYS OAR.

My previous (piece of crap) Toshiba 65" HDTV had a 'Theater Wide' mode
that stretched the picture while keeping the aspect ratio constant, for
filling the screen with 4:3 material. Mitsu calls this 'Expand'.

The Toshiba 'Full' mode compressed the picture vertically, for anamorphic
DVDs. Mitsu calls this mode 'Standard'.

-- Ron
post #1937 of 3509 Old 12-17-2007, 09:50 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by kechulater
Does this TV accept 24fps and display the picture without converting it to 60fps and back down to a multiple of 24, in other words does it avoid 2:3 pulldown so you can benefit from a HD-DVD player with 1080p/24 output? I have read the last 5 pages of this thread and I believe the answer is yes. Could some who has the TV confirm this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZHTGeek View Post

I believe this series of TV converts the 1080p/24 input and displays it as 1080p/120 (I think if you enable 120, it converts everything to 120 but I haven't heard the exact process this tv handles 1080p/24). I do not believe this set actually displays native 1080/24p but maybe some of the other gurus know for sure.

No TV displays 24fps as the flicker would be unbearable. Movie
projectors display 24fps by projecting each frame twice, for an
effective frame rate of 48fps.

XX833 sets accept 24fps and (when 120Hz is enabled), display
each frame 5 times. This should make for a better picture than
sets that convert to 60Hz, though the difference is visually
quite minute.

-- Ron
post #1938 of 3509 Old 12-17-2007, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron12n View Post

. Movie projectors display 24fps by projecting each frame twice, for an effective frame rate of 48fps.

-- Ron

Really? and your source for this is,,, Simplex?

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #1939 of 3509 Old 12-17-2007, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangflyer View Post

833 has picture in picture for two hd sources as long as they are not both hdmi. Lots of times I will watch two football games at a time. The pip is a must for me. It has the 120 hz refresh which to me does nothing.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.
post #1940 of 3509 Old 12-17-2007, 02:10 PM

A tad off topic but wanted to share a nice inexpensive lighting project you can easily place behind your 833 (or any TV for that matter).

LED Backlighting - http://www.cyron.com/ Click on Home Theatre (turn your speakers down).

Check this link for the HT1502
http://cyron.com/Merchant2/merchant....tegory_Code=HT

My local Costco has a version like the HT1502 but it comes with six light bars for $49.99 (versus the 1502s "2" for twice as much money) Even though there are multiple colors to choose from, I set mine on constant blue....it goes so well with the diamond blue lights.

trippn
post #1941 of 3509 Old 12-17-2007, 02:20 PM

Quote:

Really? and your source for this is,,, Simplex?

I thought this was really interesting, too. See the link below:

http://www.dvdfile.com/news/special_...2_pulldown.htm
post #1942 of 3509 Old 12-17-2007, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippndaddy View Post

A tad off topic but wanted to share a nice inexpensive lighting project you can easily place behind your 833 (or any TV for that matter).

LED Backlighting - http://www.cyron.com/ Click on Home Theatre (turn your speakers down).

Check this link for the HT1502
http://cyron.com/Merchant2/merchant....tegory_Code=HT

My local Costco has a version like the HT1502 but it comes with six light bars for $49.99 (versus the 1502s "2" for twice as much money) Even though there are multiple colors to choose from, I set mine on constant blue....it goes so well with the diamond blue lights.

trippn

What does Costco call their version (to help find it please)

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #1943 of 3509 Old 12-18-2007, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahan View Post

O13 seemed to be very noisy and grainy, to the point of severe color distortion on people's faces in some of the "redder" scenes.

Other HD-DVD's have seemed noisy in the dark black areas of the picture.

The Bourne Ultimatum didn't have this problem, but I was getting pretty bad ghosting during fast motion . . . seeing the outline of someone lagging behind as they were running, for example. I tried with 120Hz on and off and didn't see much difference.

I'm thinking it's either A.)the Xbox HDDVD drive, B.)The TV's handling of film content, or C.)some setting that I'm missing or have wrong.

Does anyone else have these issues? Any suggestions for some settings to try?

I finally had some time to play around, and I fixed my own problem last night by turning OFF the video noise reduction. The Ghosting appears to be a side effect of the NR circuitry. I used the scene in Batman Begins where Bruce first meets Rhys at his temple . . . the darkness and fast action fighting scenes highlighted the issue. I didn't notice much if any extra niose or graininess by making this change, at least on that DVD.
post #1944 of 3509 Old 12-18-2007, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyW View Post

I thought this was really interesting, too. See the link below:

http://www.dvdfile.com/news/special_...2_pulldown.htm

I thought so. In the Tele-Cine transfer, film can be converted. I understood film "shows" at 24fps and I understand that there is a flywheel in the projector that blocks the light source between each frame essentially putting you in darkness for half the showing. Thus the transport is traveling at 48fps but you only see 24fps because you're in darkness the other 24. Now to up the confusion, new digital projectors and IMAX can, I believe, show at 60fps outdoing everything else. I'm soooo confused.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #1945 of 3509 Old 12-18-2007, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

What does Costco call their version (to help find it please)

The manufacturer model number is HT1506.

Costco Item Number 202476 "Media Light"
post #1946 of 3509 Old 12-19-2007, 07:55 AM

I'm new to this thread and am looking at buying a 73833. I'm really interested in the split screen feature.

Has anyone mentioned whether it's possible to split the screen w/ two HDMI sources??

I believe that the manual says this is not possible. I'm guessing though that I can still get the 2nd source in HD, just not w/ the HDMI inputs.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

I'm starting a new thread for the owners of the XX833 Mitsubishi DLPs. The only other thread out there seems to be specific to the 65833s.

I just received the TV (WD-73833) yesterday (8/29/07). Here are my first impressions:

The picture is outstanding. It is so much brighter than my previous WD-62525.

I'm struggling with the inputs. I have threee HDMI sources connected via an HDMI switch but the TV didn't seem to recognize the Blu-ray player when I switched it over to that devices port. I spent at least a half hour trying to get it to work until I realized that the TV itself has multiple HDMI ports. I then connected it to the second HDMI on the TV and at first it didn't recognize it again. I tried changing the inputs using the "Input" button but it seems the button only has one HDMI selection. I will have to call Mitsubishi this afternoon or tomorrow to find out more unless someone on this forum can chime in. I finally got it to work but I don't know how, I think it eventually recognized it on it's own. The picture was amazing watching the movie in 1080p.

Does the TV automatically recognize a signal on a particular HDMI port by just turning that device on?

Can you have two HDMI sources turned on at the same time? Will the TV get confused if you do?

I will post pictures for those of you interested this weekend. Thanks for any advice.

post #1947 of 3509 Old 12-19-2007, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplegk View Post

I'm new to this thread and am looking at buying a 73833. I'm really interested in the split screen feature.

Has anyone mentioned whether it's possible to split the screen w/ two HDMI sources??

I believe that the manual says this is not possible. I'm guessing though that I can still get the 2nd source in HD, just not w/ the HDMI inputs.

Thanks.

It was posted earlier in this thread that you cannot PIP w/2 HDMI inputs.

post #1948 of 3509 Old 12-19-2007, 08:23 AM

Thanks. I did a search through this thread and found all the answers.

But, what effect does not being able to split 1080p have? What signals are 1080p (I don't currently have any HD).
post #1949 of 3509 Old 12-19-2007, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplegk View Post

Thanks. I did a search through this thread and found all the answers.

But, what effect does not being able to split 1080p have? What signals are 1080p (I don't currently have any HD).

I don't think it's the 1080p as much as connecting two HDMI's to the TV. The only signals that are 1080p are Blu-Ray movies or HD-DVD movies (and only newer HDDVDs are coming out in 1080p). HD TV is only 1080i at best.

post #1950 of 3509 Old 12-19-2007, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippndaddy View Post

The manufacturer model number is HT1506.

Costco Item Number 202476 "Media Light"

Rats - no luck on-line trying to find it. I found the 2 and 6 pack at Amazon (same part numbers). 2 pack @$30

Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page