AVS Forum banner

Samsung DLP problems

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  gattaca 
#1 ·
Hi.

I purchased a Samsung HL-S5087 DLP TV in May of 2006. Was really happy with the set until about a month ago, when I noticed the picture getting darker and darker. I did some poking around on-line and what I found points to the lamp going bad. But here is what I don't understand. The lamp, as advertised, is supposed to last 8000 hours, I believe. That's a hell of a lot longer than 1 year, when the TV is on for about 4-6 hours a day. Also, while researching this on-line I read that if the TV is in Dynamic picture mode, this supposedly cuts the lamp's life span in half. How true is that? (I did switch it to Standard by the way, as soon as I read that) Another thing, if the lamp is dying, shouldn't the lamp indicator be on on the front of the TV? So the picture is getting darker and darker every day, it's almost unwatchable now.

Also, a couple days ago, I noticed another thing. There is a thick band going from the top of the TV all the way to the bottom. It's a little to the left of the center of the screen. It's almost see-thru, but very noticeable in bright scenes. I don't really know how to describe this band, unfortunately. But at first I thought maybe it was a shadow of something, but it isn't. It's definitely there on the screen on every channel.

I called Circuit City, and they are sending a tech next Wednesday to look at it.

Have you guys heard of these problems before.

Thank you very much.

See less See more
#4 ·
The lamp indicator does not go on until the bulb is dead. The average bulb lifespan is 5000 to 6000 hours. Remember it is average some go very quickly (such as yours) some last a lot longer. As far as I know the Samsung sets do not have a reduced power setting for the bulb so you can use it in dynamic or the regular setting with no change in life span. As far as I know the best place to get a replacement bulb is Samsung Parts for $150. If you bought the TV with a major credit card it may double the warranty so the bulb still may be covered. Also I believe if you registered the set at the Samsung site it extends the warranty by an additional three months.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by George02 /forum/post/11470363

I understand that, but shouldn't the lamp last longer than a year? And I don't think a dying lamp can create that band that I was talking about.

agreed, they SHOULD. but the unexpected happens. maybe the particular bulb in your tv was a dud.

replace it (ridiculously easy process) and then see if the band problem is eliminated. chances are it will be if you didn't notice it when the lamp was working properly

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbain /forum/post/11471067

agreed, they SHOULD. but the unexpected happens. maybe the particular bulb in your tv was a dud.

replace it (ridiculously easy process) and then see if the band problem is eliminated. chances are it will be if you didn't notice it when the lamp was working properly

Hopefully, that's all it is. I got Circuit City extended warranty, so the tech is coming on Wednesday. Hopefully, it is just the bulb.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by George02 /forum/post/11471169

Hopefully, that's all it is. I got Circuit City extended warranty, so the tech is coming on Wednesday. Hopefully, it is just the bulb.

You will be glad whe you see how easy these things are to repair. A couple screws and you can pull the guts out of the tv.

The getting dark is the bulb. If this isn't covered in your warranty Samsung may cover it free of charge (if you did register the product) within the priginal in-home warranty period of 15 months (12 if not registered online).

The band could be more serious, possibly a light tunnel issue, but since you have the warranty you have NO WORRIES! All of these repairs only take a few minutes and are quite simple for a tech....

One thing you may want to consider is ventilation. Does your tv have enough room behind it to breathe? The tech that came out to change my color wheel said they get air from the bottom and blow it out the back. You may want to make sure to occasionally clean out the dust that accumulates under the set.

Good luck!

#9 ·
#10 ·
Well, that band turned into the entire left part of the screen. That whole part is darker than the right side of the screen. From what I've read that definitely sounds like the light tunnel part.

I have another question for you guys. Has anyone dealt with Circuit City techs before or any other techs for that matter. I'm just wondering if they are going to have parts like lamps and light tunnel with them? Or is the guy who's coming to look at my TV on Wednesday, just going to tell me what I already know and then come back 2 weeks later? My TV is almost unwatchable because of how dark it's gotten, so I hope they can fix it on Wednesday, but probably not.

#13 ·
Well, I got more developments on my TV. Now I'm getting a bright potion of the screen on the right. That list part seems to be as bright as it was when TV was new.

So now I got left third of the screen is darker than the rest of the screen, the rest of the screen is just dark, but all the way on the right, a strip of about 2 inches that's normal brightness.

What could this mean?

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gattaca /forum/post/11488837

Search for light-tunnel on this forum.

I did and I didn't see anything that said this problem could split the screen into 3 parts, but I could be wrong. I guess my main question is if it's possible that the lamp is fine and this has been the light tunnel problem all along.

#16 ·
Yes.. in my NON-professional opinion, it is possible, depending on how the mirrors are failing or rather falling in the tunnel.

The set has enough age on it to be exhibiting a tunnel problem. The tunnel's purpose is to project a square beam of light on the DMD so if the mirrors are not aligned properly, then the light is not being projected on the DMD properly. In most cases, people have reported the problem when 1 mirror falls out alignment (shadow down one side)... remember, there are 4 mirrors so depending on how the tunnel collapses, it could generate a different shadow pattern.

A single bulb issue would, in general, generate a uniform display condition across the entire screen as in general darkening of the picture.

Perhaps you have both a failing bulb and a tunnel problem?

Once the bulb is replaced, you will know for sure. Later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.