Curse my rainbow viewing eyes! (Decision help) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 35 Old 09-04-2007, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
(Must have had too many skittles as a kid! lol)

Hi all. Been lurking around here for a year or so and finally made the jump to HD. Purchased a samsung hlt5076s the other day pretty dang cheap for alabor day weekend sale. At the store, I did not notice rainbows for any model butI was able to see them on my friends 73' mitsu model at his place. (I thought supposedly as how it uses a dual color wheel inside from what he said.)

Anyway, during the day it looks great to me and things are fine, but last night, in a dark room I could see the rainbows and it made my eyes sore after awhile. I guess the store flourescent bulbs help to not show the effect for me. So now I have to take it back to BBuy and figure out if they have something in stock or take my money elsewhere.

So i'm basically looking to spend around $1500 at the most for a 50'' dlp screen (if that's possible), that is primarily for next gen gaming compatibility and digital cable, through a retail chain store like BBuy, CCity or Fry's so I can finance it. I realize now that I HAVE to have a hybrid dlp model like sxrd, lcos, etc. (I don't see rainbows on my other friends Sony 60' a2000.)
I looked at the newish samsung 87s digital LED model and it didn't seem as bright or sharp as the 76s I have now, plus i've heard some troublesome reviews about that one.

Obviously, i'd love to have a 1080 native model, but would be happy with 720p upscalable, because of my price constraints. Also, i'd really prefer not plasma or LCD since the wife and myself don't care for them. She:screen door effect. Me: gaming blur and screen lag potential.

Sorry for the lengthy posting, but wanted anybody with feedback to know what's happing so far.

Thanks for any advice/recommendations! It's great how much time and effort has been put into this forum to educate users.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 09-04-2007, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Rainbows are a big issue for me with my samsung 5689s. My gf thinks I'm nuts because she hasnt seen a single one. Long story short, I feel your pain and that is why I'm exchanging the Sammy for a Sony 60A3000. I dont really care about what issues the Sony might have as long as I dont see flashes of red/green/blue I'll be a happy camper.

Dont discount the LCD's if a bigger one is in your budget. I have a 42" Aquos in my bedroom and love the pq it has.
post #3 of 35 Old 09-04-2007, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

your best bet may be a sony a2020 ,it's 1080p,it's seems to be a nice set,you can still find them if you look around, very good price on them ,and no worry about seeing rainbows!
post #4 of 35 Old 09-04-2007, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The Sony A2020 SXRD series (LCOS, not DLP - so no rainbows) are on close-out because the new A3000 series just came out. There are deals to be had.

The exact model you would want is the KDS-50A2020. Or if you could swing a bigger one, the KDS-55A2020.

Check out Amazon quickly. My guess is the prices dropped to a point where they will be sold out soon. They were literally $500 higher 1-2 months ago.

Robert
post #5 of 35 Old 09-04-2007, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharcyde23 View Post

Rainbows are a big issue for me with my samsung 5689s. My gf thinks I'm nuts because she hasnt seen a single one. Long story short, I feel your pain and that is why I'm exchanging the Sammy for a Sony 60A3000. I dont really care about what issues the Sony might have as long as I dont see flashes of red/green/blue I'll be a happy camper.

Dont discount the LCD's if a bigger one is in your budget. I have a 42" Aquos in my bedroom and love the pq it has.

Wow you still see them with no color wheel thats surprising.

Its not contacts or glasses that is creating the rainbows is it?

Oppo Beta Group
post #6 of 35 Old 09-04-2007, 08:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Color wheels on DLP TVs create rainbows for the small percentage of people whose eyes are susceptible to them. If you see rainbows then return the DLP TV and get an LCD or LCOS model.
post #7 of 35 Old 09-05-2007, 05:41 AM

I have a LED DLP and I can tell you that the rainbows are still there if you look for them...GREATLY diminished but still there.

Eastern NC.
Come on Plasma and LCD guys!...you know that the DLP format is better!...& You can be format neutral if you want but the war is over...BluRay won!
post #8 of 35 Old 09-05-2007, 07:20 AM

I am highly susceptible to rainbows and have been seeing them on my HLS5087 since I bought the set but over time I just got used to it and and trained myself to not see them so much. I know it sounds kinda funny but its true and I would not trade off the picture quality that I get from my TV for some rainbows which I primarily only see when there's white text on a black background.
post #9 of 35 Old 09-05-2007, 07:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The budget price leaders for excellent street pricing are for sure JVC IDLA's (LCOS)...

You could probably eek in a 61" within your budget and man are the 70" jobbers tempting right now.
post #10 of 35 Old 09-05-2007, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

Wow you still see them with no color wheel thats surprising.

Its not contacts or glasses that is creating the rainbows is it?

No contacts or glasses...but I might need both if I keep watching this tv. It's bad enough for me that after watching a movie that has a lot of dark scenes with high contrast thus displaying a lot of RBE, I'll be away from the television and I'll see the rainbow while blinking. Exactly like after someone flashes you with their camera.
Wish I didn't see them or could get used to them because once calibrated this set really does produce excellent colors, xbox360 in 1080p looks amazing (especially bioshock) and not having to worry about changing a bulb every 1-2 years is a huge plus...
post #11 of 35 Old 09-05-2007, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Hey, thanks everybody for the posts and info. I appreciate the insight on the digital LED unit I was considering. I'm staying away from that one for sure now. I'm just entering the HD world and after saving the time and money (and finally support from the wife!) It better be for a tv i'm going to enjoy! Not some blinky dink rainbow set. (but that's my bad, not the tv) I do enjoy the color and look of the hlt5076s I have, but now I have a reason to invest some more time and seriously consider a 1080p model. (My buddy won't let me live down that in the long run, I need that, etc.)

I'm not so familiar with JVC's IDLA models. How are they compared to Sony's a2000 family/bravia series? What 50'' LCD's are good with not having motion blur/shadowing on games?

Again, thanks for the insight and it's good to know i'm not a mutant with these eyes. (nobody else I know can see them...I thought I was just special.) :P
post #12 of 35 Old 09-05-2007, 09:58 AM

I also had the rainbow problem with the sammy, I had to take it back, I got the Sony 55" A2020 liek someone posted above, I am completely happy with it.

I could not deal with rainbows.
post #13 of 35 Old 09-05-2007, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonovox400 View Post

Hey, thanks everybody for the posts and info. I appreciate the insight on the digital LED unit I was considering. I'm staying away from that one for sure now. I'm just entering the HD world and after saving the time and money (and finally support from the wife!) It better be for a tv i'm going to enjoy! Not some blinky dink rainbow set. (but that's my bad, not the tv) I do enjoy the color and look of the hlt5076s I have, but now I have a reason to invest some more time and seriously consider a 1080p model. (My buddy won't let me live down that in the long run, I need that, etc.)

I'm not so familiar with JVC's IDLA models. How are they compared to Sony's a2000 family/bravia series? What 50'' LCD's are good with not having motion blur/shadowing on games?

Again, thanks for the insight and it's good to know i'm not a mutant with these eyes. (nobody else I know can see them...I thought I was just special.) :P

The IDLA displays from JVC compare favorably to the SXRD from Sony. Same base technology there too. And right now, you can get a JVC 70" for not much over $2K and the 61" under $1600, closer to $1500 including shipping.
post #14 of 35 Old 09-05-2007, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBoo View Post

I also had the rainbow problem with the sammy, I had to take it back, I got the Sony 55" A2020 liek someone posted above, I am completely happy with it.

I could not deal with rainbows.

Your not suppose to see rainbows at all with the Samsung 87S/89S series as that display used a much faster LED light engine with no color wheel or fan noise. I noted you returned a HLT-5076S model which still used the color wheel. Myself and my buddy have Samsung 61" LED DLP's and don't notice any rainbows.

Online I see very few people commented about rainbows with these LED DLP's, many more comments say can't see any rainbows. But you know there is no perfect display out there, every display has a technological limitation, for DLP's it was rainbows caused by colorwheel, now that thats' gone "most" people shouldn't be able to see rainbows at all on the LED DLP models.

Oppo Beta Group
post #15 of 35 Old 09-05-2007, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

I'm sure the LED models should eliminate the effect for most people, maybe even me because I didn't see it in the store. (But then again, I didn't see the rainbow with my hlt76s until it was in my home, not the store!) I wonder if the rainbows is actually due to ocular flaws in people, hence someone very near-sighted like myself being more prone to it) My friend thinks my eye rods and cones "refresh rate" to my brain is off. LOL

I'm not sure I want to take a gamble on the led units due to the rainbow, and also the negative reviews with the "hot spot", bowing and frame structure weakness, etc.

I know people are posting about getting the stuff online and amazon etc., but I need something that Bbuy, Ccity and Fry's would have so I can do their 2-3 yr no interest financing specials. (at least that's whats going on in the Cali area)

I didn't see many JVC models on display. They had the sammy's, sony a2020 family, some JVC's that I don't remember what (since I didn't consider since the source video was a SD upconverted dvd player that made the pic look like garbage) and some of those Toshiba Rezna(sp) models.

Has anybody run an xbox360 on any of the units mentioned above? (a2---, lcos, or IDLA models?) On a sony a2000, or a2020 and been happy with? Does the a2020 fix some of the primary color issues that a2000 family has?
post #16 of 35 Old 09-05-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:

Your not suppose to see rainbows at all with the Samsung 87S/89S series as that display used a much faster LED light engine with no color wheel or fan noise. I noted you returned a HLT-5076S model which still used the color wheel. Myself and my buddy have Samsung 61" LED DLP's and don't notice any rainbows.

Online I see very few people commented about rainbows with these LED DLP's, many more comments say can't see any rainbows. But you know there is no perfect display out there, every display has a technological limitation, for DLP's it was rainbows caused by colorwheel, now that thats' gone "most" people shouldn't be able to see rainbows at all on the LED DLP models.

Have you been following the 87/89 forum? Quite a few see rainbows with these sets (myself included) and some have sent them back because of it (again, myself included). There is no magic cure for rainbows with a single chip DLP set. The only way to "eliminate" them is to use 3 DLP chips one for each primary color and you are not going to find that solution in a RP set (only very high end projectors).
post #17 of 35 Old 09-05-2007, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Has anybody run an xbox360 on any of the units mentioned above? (a2---, lcos, or IDLA models?) On a sony a2000, or a2020 and been happy with? Does the a2020 fix some of the primary color issues that a2000 family has?

I'm also interested in knowing if there are any issues between the xxA3000 and the 360. The sammy 5689s displays snow flakes all over the screen when you set the 360 to 1080p. Firware upgrade didn't solve this issue and I believe it has been discussed in the 87/89 owners thread. Guess thats another thing to look out for.
post #18 of 35 Old 09-07-2007, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Just a "rainbow" update: I had some friends over for dinner last night and they got to see my new tv. (not a big deal for my friend since he has a 73'' monster.) :-P Anyway, we were having some issues with losing audio feed from the cable box for some reason. To make a long story short, we reset the cable box and when the cable box reboot screen popped up on the tv, it had a white line going down the middle of the screen that seperated some text.
My friend was like "HEY! I can see other colors on the white line!" I told him that it's the rainbows I see all the time in other pictures. My wife and his wife are like "how do you see it?" and he started doing the "no" head shaking trick from left to right over and over and said he could see it while doing this. (for some reason, nobody believes me that you can just move your eyes as opposed to your whole head!)
So i'm sitting in the back on the couch, and in front of me are my wife and 2 friends, lined up in a row, shaking their heads as fast as they can at the tv, looking like they have some sort of mental problem. I wish I took a picture and I couldn't stop laughing. It would've been great if they were all in a store doing that!
So just from that, 3 "rainbow non-viewers" were able to see it under the right situation. But for the rest of the night with normal tv broadcasts, they never did again. Oh well, at least i'm supported on the home front now. My wife was like "Oh my God! You see that all the time and everywere on the screen?!?!" lol.
post #19 of 35 Old 09-07-2007, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

I received my 2nd xx89s yesterday. No major rainbow flashes, although I saw minor ones probably as a result of moving my eyes. I'd be able to put up with these minor rainbows if it werent for the giant purple halo prism reflection this set came with.
Bye bye Samsung LED, hello A3000.
post #20 of 35 Old 09-07-2007, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

pharcyde, let us know how well that unit play with your 360, whenever you go buy it of course.
post #21 of 35 Old 09-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Will do. I'll be doing a return/upgrade through the online retailer I got the Samsung from. I imagine the process will take 10-14 days.

Oh and this 2nd set that was delivered last night has an even worse snow flake effect/white dots all over the screen when xbox is set to 1080p via component. I tried all the inputs on the television and nothing changed. This is a shame as Bioshock plays in 1080p.
post #22 of 35 Old 09-07-2007, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, bioshock is beautiful looking. Shame I don't have a dx10 based card that can run the dx10 shaders. :-/
post #23 of 35 Old 09-07-2007, 07:08 PM

I play my 360 on my Sony A2020 55" and I actually think it looks better for some reason.
Games look beautiful and play great, Bioshock is INSANE on it
post #24 of 35 Old 09-07-2007, 07:15 PM

Quote:

(Must have had too many skittles as a kid! lol)

Hi all. Been lurking around here for a year or so and finally made the jump to HD. Purchased a samsung hlt5076s the other day pretty dang cheap for alabor day weekend sale. At the store, I did not notice rainbows for any model butI was able to see them on my friends 73' mitsu model at his place. (I thought supposedly as how it uses a dual color wheel inside from what he said.)

Anyway, during the day it looks great to me and things are fine, but last night, in a dark room I could see the rainbows and it made my eyes sore after awhile. I guess the store flourescent bulbs help to not show the effect for me. So now I have to take it back to BBuy and figure out if they have something in stock or take my money elsewhere.

So i'm basically looking to spend around $1500 at the most for a 50'' dlp screen (if that's possible), that is primarily for next gen gaming compatibility and digital cable, through a retail chain store like BBuy, CCity or Fry's so I can finance it. I realize now that I HAVE to have a hybrid dlp model like sxrd, lcos, etc. (I don't see rainbows on my other friends Sony 60' a2000.)
I looked at the newish samsung 87s digital LED model and it didn't seem as bright or sharp as the 76s I have now, plus i've heard some troublesome reviews about that one.

Obviously, i'd love to have a 1080 native model, but would be happy with 720p upscalable, because of my price constraints. Also, i'd really prefer not plasma or LCD since the wife and myself don't care for them. She:screen door effect. Me: gaming blur and screen lag potential.

Sorry for the lengthy posting, but wanted anybody with feedback to know what's happing so far.

Thanks for any advice/recommendations! It's great how much time and effort has been put into this forum to educate users.

Frankly my belief is troublemakers like yourself need to have their genes examined and expunged, its inexpedient for the rest of us ...
post #25 of 35 Old 09-07-2007, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm sure the LED models should eliminate the effect for most people, maybe even me because I didn't see it in the store. (But then again, I didn't see the rainbow with my hlt76s until it was in my home, not the store!) I wonder if the rainbows is actually due to ocular flaws in people, hence someone very near-sighted like myself being more prone to it) My friend thinks my eye rods and cones "refresh rate" to my brain is off. LOL.

Actually when you’re in a very dark room with your pupils open wide your chance of seeing rainbows around bright light sources is much greater. How many of us watch videos in a dimly lit room with a very bright display? If you are using an DLP display to watch a movie with high contrast black and white effects your chances of seeing rainbows is greatly increased. Absolutely some ocular flaws cause rainbows to be seen such as cornea swelling. (multiple causes)

I haven’t seen any 3-chip DLP’s as mentioned but I figured these would be too expensive to sell to J6P. Single chip DLP without color wheel are suppose to eliminate the rainbow effects.

If you are someone that can see the rainbows with regular HD program content then you always have the option of using a different type of display other then DLP.

Oppo Beta Group
post #26 of 35 Old 09-07-2007, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post

Have you been following the 87/89 forum? Quite a few see rainbows with these sets (myself included) and some have sent them back because of it (again, myself included). There is no magic cure for rainbows with a single chip DLP set. The only way to "eliminate" them is to use 3 DLP chips one for each primary color and you are not going to find that solution in a RP set (only very high end projectors).

Getting rid of the color wheel was the #1 solution, not expensive 3 chip DLP designs.

"The issue is that at any instant in time only one of the primary colors is being "displayed" with a single chip DLP system. With a triple chip system the three primary colors are each handled by a single chip so they can be updated at exactly the same instant...hence no RBE."

The greatly increased speed of the LED's used in the new LED light engine flashing off and on were suppose to make it seem to the eye of being all displayed simultaneously, greatly reducing the possibility of seeing rainbows.

Oppo Beta Group
post #27 of 35 Old 09-07-2007, 08:46 PM

Quote:

Getting rid of the color wheel was the #1 solution, not expensive 3 chip DLP designs.

"The issue is that at any instant in time only one of the primary colors is being "displayed" with a single chip DLP system. With a triple chip system the three primary colors are each handled by a single chip so they can be updated at exactly the same instant...hence no RBE."

The greatly increased speed of the LED's used in the new LED light engine flashing off and on were suppose to make it seem to the eye of being all displayed simultaneously, greatly reducing the possibility of seeing rainbows.

Key point being "suppose to"
post #28 of 35 Old 09-10-2007, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

lol at denver's comment. But hey, if it wasn't for us biological deficient folks, perhaps audio and video technology wouldn't change as quickly. :-) Thanks for the info JohnAV. I am pretty hardcore near sighted, but don't have any other issues as far as the doctors tell me every year. Family does have a history of Glaucoma occasionly happening, but would be interesting to see if the rainbows are an indicator of something happening later on in life.
A strange side note, last night my wife was watching and I was brushing my teeth in the bathroom which was adacent to the tv room. In the mirror, I could see the reflection of the tv and the mirror made the rainbow effect even more pronounced and extreme for some reason. Very discernable in the mirror beyond normal viewing. Idk why.
post #29 of 35 Old 11-22-2007, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zainag View Post

I am highly susceptible to rainbows and have been seeing them on my HLS5087 since I bought the set but over time I just got used to it and and trained myself to not see them so much. I know it sounds kinda funny but its true and I would not trade off the picture quality that I get from my TV for some rainbows which I primarily only see when there's white text on a black background.

It's the same for my wife and I. At first, we were going to take the set back and get something "else." After looking at all the other sets again, we didn't want to give up the picture we liked the best. After some time and, importantly I think, more accurate calibration, the rainbows are almost never noticable except in very high contrast images, like black and white. Other than that, we don't notice them unless we really really try, and NO ONE that visits sees them at all.
post #30 of 35 Old 11-22-2007, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharcyde23 View Post

Do you also see rainbows on old fashioned CRT sets? If I see rainbows on CRT sets, then I also see them on DLP.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page