>>Sony KDS-XXA3000<< Settings/Tweaks thread - OWNERS ONLY! - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 4486 Old 10-22-2007, 09:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

On both of my SXRDs the center of the screen has the best convergence and the biggest offsets are closer to the edges. My 50" A2000 generally has better convergence than my 60" A3000. Almost the whole screen on my A3000 is off. I have a geometry issue on the right edge of the 60" that is the only area that's worse than the worst of my A2000 convergence. I just try to make sure that sharpness is set right, because on my A2000 that seemed to be the best way to limit the effects of convercence being off. If sharpness is set too low then the convergence offsets bloom, and if set too high then you get the white halos. I've heard green offset is the worst to have, and there was only one area on my A3000 that showed much green.

I think anyone considering returning a set for borderline convergence or geometry has to consider all the other items that seem to play a part in the on-screen image. I haven't used the colorimeter to check screen uniformity, but based on the image I'm getting watching movies I think it has to be FAR better than my A2000. I can see the corners probably fall off, but otherwise I'm going to guess if I measured uniformity that my 60" does very well in that area. My A2000 has a slightly better geometry, certainly less screen flex, and more area with tighter convergence, but for whatever reason my A3000 looks better watching video. Darker blacks, higher gamma, closer to standard primary colors, tighter deltaE on colors, and possibly better uniformity are all that I can use to explain the difference. Generally the new TV appears to have better image quality, even though it falls short on some test images.

My whole screen is off some way or other. So I'm sure some color has an offset near the center of the screen.

With normal display settings I was basically hitting the first marks outside of the 5% safe area on DVE HD. I think that represents 2.5% overscan.

Your detailed comments appreciated. My convergence, overall, is very good. Again, the issue is just with the center and about 8" upward. Sitting back from 9 feet, it's very slightly noticable - but not huge. Some scenes it seems to show on images IF I look for it - like the edge of an object against a brighter backgorund. Maybe it's just one of things I need to stop being so particular to be with. I also have a smudge on the bottom right hand part of screen. I think it's on the mirror or behind the screen and only noticable on a white or gray screen subtley.

My geometry is a little off in some areas - especially edges - which is normal - I see nothing big about it.

I was thinking of possible exchanging my set for another, but not sure it would make a difference as I might get a display sith slightly better center convergence, other areas may be worse.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 4486 Old 10-22-2007, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Finally got my 60A3000 all set up with my SciAtl DVR cable box (Optimum/Cablevision), 360 and LG upscaling DVD player. Figure I'd chime in with some details on the more notorious settings. =)

With the cable box's HD content, depending on the channel and the movie itself, it can come through soft or with some blurred detail. So for the box, I have Cinemotion at Auto1, Motion Enhancer at Standard, Detail and Edge enhancer on Low. This provides a pretty decent image in my case.

For the LG upscaling player (set to output 420i), I used a Superbit Fifth Element DVD and Chronicles of Riddick DVD for playing around with the Video Options settings. I find both these movies provide great scenes for checking out black levels, sharpness, contrast, etc.

At the moment I'm not in front of my TV, but if I recall, I have Motion Enhancer off, Cinemotion on Auto 1 and Motion Naturalizer on Auto 2 (well, the one for "brightly lit environents"). With these two DVDs, I was bouncing back and forth with the set's Theater Mode. When this mode was turned on, the picture was surprisingly good! I did not notice any flicker during any scenes including fast motion - Theater Mode turns Motion Naturalizer on Auto 1 (the one for dim environments) which darkens the overall picture.

What I want to play around with more, is Motion Naturalizer's settings. I need to check it out with both my "movie night" lights as well as in total darkness, but I have the feeling I'll be mimicking the Theater Mode setting - having it on Auto 1 (dim enviroments) as I cannot discern any flickering, and to my eyes it replicates a movie theater projector very well (I'm a total movie junkie). =)

Anyway, I read a few pages back that there was some discussion about whether or not the 120Hz of the TV is turned on or off with some Video Option settings (that is, it can switch between 60Hz and 120Hz). If I had caught that conversation in time, I would have piped in with: "Although this is common knowledge with computer displays, I did a quick bit of research to double check, and as far as I can tell there's no liquid crystal display technology (regardless of target market/industry/end use), that can switch its refresh rate. Ergo, the set is always going at 120Hz."

Anyway, thanks to everyone that has posted their experiences with their settings!
post #453 of 4486 Old 10-22-2007, 10:37 AM

I have the DIRECTV PlusĀ© HD DVR and this a3000. Does anyone have any settings using this source?

Thanks.
btw...price drop on this unit - saved an extra $230 at CC within five days.
post #454 of 4486 Old 10-22-2007, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader J View Post

Finally got my 60A3000 all set up with my SciAtl DVR cable box (Optimum/Cablevision), 360 and LG upscaling DVD player. Figure I'd chime in with some details on the more notorious settings. =)

With the cable box's HD content, depending on the channel and the movie itself, it can come through soft or with some blurred detail. So for the box, I have Cinemotion at Auto1, Motion Enhancer at Standard, Detail and Edge enhancer on Low. This provides a pretty decent image in my case.

For the LG upscaling player (set to output 420i), I used a Superbit Fifth Element DVD and Chronicles of Riddick DVD for playing around with the Video Options settings. I find both these movies provide great scenes for checking out black levels, sharpness, contrast, etc.

At the moment I'm not in front of my TV, but if I recall, I have Motion Enhancer off, Cinemotion on Auto 1 and Motion Naturalizer on Auto 2 (well, the one for "brightly lit environents"). With these two DVDs, I was bouncing back and forth with the set's Theater Mode. When this mode was turned on, the picture was surprisingly good! I did not notice any flicker during any scenes including fast motion - Theater Mode turns Motion Naturalizer on Auto 1 (the one for dim environments) which darkens the overall picture.

What I want to play around with more, is Motion Naturalizer's settings. I need to check it out with both my "movie night" lights as well as in total darkness, but I have the feeling I'll be mimicking the Theater Mode setting - having it on Auto 1 (dim enviroments) as I cannot discern any flickering, and to my eyes it replicates a movie theater projector very well (I'm a total movie junkie). =)

Anyway, I read a few pages back that there was some discussion about whether or not the 120Hz of the TV is turned on or off with some Video Option settings (that is, it can switch between 60Hz and 120Hz). If I had caught that conversation in time, I would have piped in with: "Although this is common knowledge with computer displays, I did a quick bit of research to double check, and as far as I can tell there's no liquid crystal display technology (regardless of target market/industry/end use), that can switch its refresh rate. Ergo, the set is always going at 120Hz."

Anyway, thanks to everyone that has posted their experiences with their settings!

yes it is always 120hz. what u can turn on and off is whetehr or not you want it to acheive 120hz through frame interpolation( motion enhancer on) or frame repeating ( motion enhancer off)
post #455 of 4486 Old 10-22-2007, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
What exactly does game mode do?
post #456 of 4486 Old 10-22-2007, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicks View Post

What exactly does game mode do?

i think it turns off all the tv enhancemnets to try to minimize lag and i think it pumps the picture up.
post #457 of 4486 Old 10-22-2007, 01:22 PM

Does anyone have any tweaks or settings to see less sse?
post #458 of 4486 Old 10-22-2007, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
From my settings on the last page, if I take my white Y reading of 70 from HCFR and take it times 0.29 I get about 20 fL of light. That's lower than the 35 fL given as a reasonable level in http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=852536 but it's actually above the suggested light levels for a dark room in http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...77#post6368677 At this time I plan on sticking to that same white level I used for my A2000. It seems the only way I know of to limit SSE. I haven't noticed SSE as much on my 60" as the 50", except when looking at test patterns, but I don't know if it has anything to do with how I mostly notice SSE on direct light and the 60" has more area that's off-axis.
post #459 of 4486 Old 10-22-2007, 09:55 PM

So I have kind of an odd question... Do I want to use the RGB setting on my PS3/BDP-S1, or the Y, Cb, Cr setting? I've always just selected auto, but I am not sure which one would produce a better picture.
post #460 of 4486 Old 10-23-2007, 06:33 AM

Does anyone not like the Vivid Picture Mode? It has a tendency to appear a bit more grainy, but it's quite a vibrant picture.

I haven't used DVE yet, but I tried the one post that had these settings on their SA 8300 DVR, of which I'm still using. It made the picture look very dull and dark, at least in my eyes.

Mode Custom
Iris Low
P 68
B 52
Color 48
Hue G1
Temp Warm2
Sharp 41
Noise off
Mpeg off
Black off
Gamma off
Clear white low
Color space wide
live color off
white balance unchanged
Enhancers off
post #461 of 4486 Old 10-23-2007, 07:03 AM

Why are convergence controls on this set hidden? Where are they?

Let me add that although my convergence is good, i know i might have to adjust down the road.
As with the few big items such as this and the set it replaced, I like to have service manuals. At the moment the service manual does not seem to be in sony's system.(acording to parts dept) I am awaiting a call back from Sony to get a service manual.

1st level tech support says that there is no convergence on this set and never needs it.

SHRUG
post #462 of 4486 Old 10-23-2007, 07:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

From my settings on the last page, if I take my white Y reading of 70 from HCFR and take it times 0.29 I get about 20 fL of light. That's lower than the 35 fL given as a reasonable level in http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=852536 but it's actually above the suggested light levels for a dark room in http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...77#post6368677 At this time I plan on sticking to that same white level I used for my A2000. It seems the only way I know of to limit SSE. I haven't noticed SSE as much on my 60" as the 50", except when looking at test patterns, but I don't know if it has anything to do with how I mostly notice SSE on direct light and the 60" has more area that's off-axis.

I've actually changed my settings to minimum iris and lowered my contrast to about 80. My eyes pleasantly adjusted fairly quickly. There is far less noise visible and the white level still seems plenty as I view typically in a dark room. One thing that I notice immediately is just how much better the blacks are. I popped in Blu-ray versions of 300, Black Hawk down, and X-Men all looked phenomenal. While my CRT RPTV were slightly better, they are fairly close now with the SXRD excelling in every other area.

post #463 of 4486 Old 10-23-2007, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

I've actually changed my settings to low iris and lowered my contrast to about 80.

I think 80 is a very safe level where you won't have to worry about grayscale color-shifts with red dropping off.
post #464 of 4486 Old 10-23-2007, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaytonMG View Post

Do I want to use the RGB setting on my PS3/BDP-S1, or the Y, Cb, Cr setting?

Far as I know YCbCr is the way video is encoded. The BDP-S1 defaults to that setting and is what I use. With that the TV will do the video decoding. If you were to select RGB then I think the device would then be doing the decoding instead of the TV.
post #465 of 4486 Old 10-23-2007, 08:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I think 80 is a very safe level where you won't have to worry about grayscale color-shifts with red dropping off.

Good to know. Correction in my last post: I'm using minimum iris (not low).

post #466 of 4486 Old 10-23-2007, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaytonMG View Post

So I have kind of an odd question... Do I want to use the RGB setting on my PS3/BDP-S1, or the Y, Cb, Cr setting? I've always just selected auto, but I am not sure which one would produce a better picture.

set it to automatic. it will automatically output YcbCr when playing blu ray or dvds and will automatically switch back to outputting RGB when playing games. i tested it, thats how it works.
post #467 of 4486 Old 10-23-2007, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megazeph View Post

Why are convergence controls on this set hidden? Where are they?

Let me add that although my convergence is good, i know i might have to adjust down the road.
As with the few big items such as this and the set it replaced, I like to have service manuals. At the moment the service manual does not seem to be in sony's system.(acording to parts dept) I am awaiting a call back from Sony to get a service manual.

1st level tech support says that there is no convergence on this set and never needs it.

SHRUG

The convergence controls are in the service menu - you have to be extremely cautious if you enter...especially considering it will save settings automatically if you change something.....be sure to keep track of your original values.

I can't think of the vertical setting of the top of my head. However, I could not find the horizontal setting. Also, the converegence setting affects the entire screen - not just one section of it. In addition, it affects about a full pixel and not smaller increments unfortunately.

post #468 of 4486 Old 10-23-2007, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Guys,

Would the picture quality of the 60a3000 be a step up on the picture quality of a Westinghouse 47 inch LCD? Anybody compared these two?

Thanks

Onkyo 818, Emotiva Amp
B&W CT700 Series Speakers, (2) PowerSound Audio XS30s
Custom HTPC running Mediabrowser, 12TB Server for storage
post #469 of 4486 Old 10-23-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:

you have to be extremely cautious if you enter...especially considering it will save settings automatically if you change something

Yes. thanks for the warning. Since 1999 i have learned from reading others misfortunes on changing things they are unsure about and really messing things up. I am watching what has been previously said and tried with this set.

As far as my convergence goes, looking closely with a test pattern i can just make out a little red peaking out. but not enough to really concern me. Alhough as we like to tweak our sets, i certainly would like to tweak it and make it exactly perfect as possible in the near future.

For me the only thing i will look at will be the convergence. Beyond that i won't touch anything in service menu unless tried and true by other experienced owners.

This is my 3rd rear projector tv since 1990 and it always just seemed good to own the service manuals.

Suppose to hear back from Sony in a day or so to get my service manual.
post #470 of 4486 Old 10-23-2007, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes. thanks for the warning. Since 1999 i have learned from reading others misfortunes on changing things they are unsure about and really messing things up. I am watching what has been previously said and tried with this set.

As far as my convergence goes, looking closely with a test pattern i can just make out a little red peaking out. but not enough to really concern me. Alhough as we like to tweak our sets, i certainly would like to tweak it and make it exactly perfect as possible in the near future.

For me the only thing i will look at will be the convergence. Beyond that i won't touch anything in service menu unless tried and true by other experienced owners.

This is my 3rd rear projector tv since 1990 and it always just seemed good to own the service manuals.

Suppose to hear back from Sony in a day or so to get my service manual.

Please me me know what you hear regarding the service manual.

So far, I've looked at 3 different A3000 displays at Best Buy and Sears. I've brought my HD DVE disc, but was only able to use SD DVD players. On any rate, it seems my convergence is much better than what I've seen - as stated before, it's just the center of the screen that's a bit off (see my screenshots in the other post). Other parts of my screen are generally excellent with many areas being perfect. Sitting 9 feet back or so with calibrated contrast and sharpness, it's just barely perceptible IF I really look for it on certain scenes/backgrounds of movies. I'd still like to correct it being as particular as I am, but perfection is unlikely on such a display (or any for that matter). Even the other three displays had convergence off in the center with red - though mine might just be a hair worse in that locaton. Having been a twice-previous CRT RPTV owner I think is why I keep thinking about the issue as I'd always be able to converge the center perfectly.

post #471 of 4486 Old 10-23-2007, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

A follow-up question: do SXRD's convergence drift at all like CRTs? I'm assuming no.

post #472 of 4486 Old 10-23-2007, 11:54 AM

I would be curious about the drift also.
With my sets i have learned and became comfortable over time tweaking and doing the yearly cleaning and re tweaking.

I would think, that with sxrd chips there should not be any drift. I am certainly no expert and only just learning about these since purchasing the set though so my thinking or assumption could certainly be wrong.

How did you access the service menu? If worried bout folks messing up their set you can PM it to me. If it is not very clear when i do see the menu i will likely not really try anything till i get the service manual.
post #473 of 4486 Old 10-23-2007, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

My understanding is that the convergence is a physical property of using 3 chips to display colors. I'm not familiar with drift, but I don't think there's any reason to expect convergence will change with time. I think that electronically it's possible to shift by one pixel, but that's all that's avaliable. If you want better convergence, this probably isn't the technology to choose.

If you want into the service menu it's - Display, 5, vol+, power
1 & 4 switch between settings
2 & 5 switch between groups of settings
3 & 6 make changes to the setting
Jump moves between menus
muting, 0 seems to save changes

For the most part it's like the A2000 controls that I linked to on around 3 or 4, but there are some differences. Even after using most of the A2000 controls documented on AVS, the A3000 service menu is somewhat confusing. Sub-contrast, sub-brightness, gains, and bias seem clear because they're almost identical, but otherwise I found it confusing and google wasn't any help in giving meaning to settings.
post #474 of 4486 Old 10-23-2007, 12:37 PM

Mine is not off enough that i need to adjust it. For me in my case it would be to tweak it to get it perfect.
This set also doesn't seem to have any geometry issues

I have no doubts about this set, I'll keep it. :-)
post #475 of 4486 Old 10-23-2007, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My understanding is that the convergence is a physical property of using 3 chips to display colors. I'm not familiar with drift, but I don't think there's any reason to expect convergence will change with time. I think that electronically it's possible to shift by one pixel, but that's all that's avaliable. If you want better convergence, this probably isn't the technology to choose.

1 & 4 switch between settings
2 & 5 switch between groups of settings
3 & 6 make changes to the setting
Jump moves between menus
muting, 0 seems to save changes

For the most part it's like the A2000 controls that I linked to on around 3 or 4, but there are some differences. Even after using most of the A2000 controls documented on AVS, the A3000 service menu is somewhat confusing. Sub-contrast, sub-brightness, gains, and bias seem clear because they're almost identical, but otherwise I found it confusing and google wasn't any help in giving meaning to settings.

I'd be curious about edge enhancement/sharpness settings. I don't see any EE with my sharpness control at 35, but just curious.

Also, is there an LMF(?) filter that needs to be changed on this display like some of the previous models?

post #476 of 4486 Old 10-23-2007, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

i just saw the 60"A3000 on sale for $1550.
very tempting,but i don't really need another tv(have the 60"xbr2)
post #477 of 4486 Old 10-23-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:

When i entered this key combination, it turned the tv off.
post #478 of 4486 Old 10-23-2007, 03:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

When i entered this key combination, it turned the tv off.

The TV has to be turned off before entering those keys.

post #479 of 4486 Old 10-23-2007, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos1965 View Post

i just saw the 60"A3000 on sale for $1550.
very tempting,but i don't really need another tv(have the 60"xbr2)

where did u see it for that price?
post #480 of 4486 Old 10-23-2007, 04:30 PM

Quote:

The TV has to be turned off before entering those keys.

I actually figured that might be it. went away for while. came back and tried it from off. Depressed the key combination one button at a time. when the tv came on it was not in any special menu. If i hit any number keys it would go to the antenna input to tune to that analog station number.

SHRUG.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page