Does anyone else have a 3+ y.o. TV with HDMI limitations? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 10-02-2007, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm starting this thread here because I'm curious about something.

Background is, I have a Toshiba 52hm84 52" 720p DLP monitor with 1 HDMI (with HDCP) input. I had been using a Monoprice 5x1 HDMI switch in order to use my PS3, DirecTV HR20-700, and Toshiba HD-XA2 without a problem for about a year.

About 2 months ago, I got an Onkyo TX-SR805 to utilize the HDMI audio capabilities. When I hooked it up (yes, properly), I could only get a picture via HDMI if I passed the audio through the Onkyo without processing. If I had the Onkyo process the audio (obviously ideal, since this is why I bought it), the picture went black. Finally I sent the 805 back hoping it was an HDMI problem in the Onkyo. Got a replacement, and it has the same issue. So I figured that it was an HDMI input problem with my TV (and yes, I tried MANY different HDMI cables). This theory was essentially confirmed by a Toshiba tech rep who agreed that the input on my TV could only accept video/audio together through HDMI, and not video alone. There was a "possibility" that my HDMI board could be changed out, but I'm sure the cost would preclude that vs. just replacing the TV. So now I intend to get a front projector.

However, I'm a little ticked that I'm essentially being "forced" to buy a new display due to this HDMI problem (and don't even get me started on my overall feelings of HDMI).

So, question 1 is, has anyone else had this problem? Question 2 is, is there something I'm missing that I could make this all work together?

Any input would be valued (as long as it's thoughtful and helpful ).

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-02-2007, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Have you tried also connecting regular stereo audio from the Onkyo to the TVs HDMI connection optional R&W audio connection and then leaving the TV sound set all the way down.
post #3 of 18 Old 10-02-2007, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

No, I haven't tried that, and that's a great suggestion. I'll give it a try when my girls take a nap. As much as they think so, a 3 year old and 1 year old just aren't that helpful with cables and wiring.

I'll post back whether or not this works (keeping my fingers crossed).

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
post #4 of 18 Old 10-02-2007, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Tried hooking up R/L audio to the TV (as for when it uses DVI -> HDMI input), with audio feeds from both the receiver and my DirecTV Tivo (always on), to no avail. No pic with HDMI audio set to off on the Onkyo (meaning the Onkyo is to decode and pass through video), but picture appears when HDMI audio is passed through the Onkyo.

Any other suggestions, or am I the only one that seems to be experiencing this?

post #5 of 18 Old 10-03-2007, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Bump

post #6 of 18 Old 10-03-2007, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you have not tried yet, i've go to the Onkyo 805 thread and ask about this, see what the guys there have to say.
post #7 of 18 Old 10-03-2007, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I did post on the 805 forum, and got some advice during my attempts with the first 805 I had. I posted again after having the same issues with the second unit, and didn't receive any replies, unfortunately. However, I might repost and see if I get a response. Thanks!

post #8 of 18 Old 10-03-2007, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Sorry , that i could not be of any help, you would think that someone out there would have run into the problem that your having.
post #9 of 18 Old 10-03-2007, 08:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If your boxes have separate HDMI out audio connectors did you use HDMI connectors or did you use the standard audio out connectors.
post #10 of 18 Old 10-03-2007, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

My next step is I'm going to try a Gefen HDMI Super Booster. Even though it's a short HDMI run (about 3'), I'm wondering if my TV, due to its age, can't grab onto an HDMI signal that's been pre-processed. We'll see if this works boosting the signal post-processed by the 805 helps the video get to the monitor.

post #11 of 18 Old 10-03-2007, 10:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by schroedk View Post

My next step is I'm going to try a Gefen HDMI Super Booster. Even though it's a short HDMI run (about 3'), I'm wondering if my TV, due to its age, can't grab onto an HDMI signal that's been pre-processed. We'll see if this works boosting the signal post-processed by the 805 helps the video get to the monitor.

The processed signal is still digital signal. It will be the same strength as non-processed. I doubt that is the issue.

When you tried hock up audio input on TV, did you re-configure your TV to tell your TV pickup audio from audio input instead of from HDMI? I know for most TV, you need to do so. Otherwise, it will still look for audio from HDMI.
post #12 of 18 Old 10-03-2007, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

The processed signal is still digital signal. It will be the same strength as non-processed. I doubt that is the issue.

When you tried hock up audio input on TV, did you re-configure your TV to tell your TV pickup audio from audio input instead of from HDMI? I know for most TV, you need to do so. Otherwise, it will still look for audio from HDMI.

Yes, I reconfigured the TV for audio from r/l input. I ordered the Gefen from amazon, so I'll return it if it indeed doesn't fix the problem. The reason I am attempting this is because I do get flickers, although 99%+ of the time the screen is black. We'll see whether it works or not, but at this point it's worth a try.

post #13 of 18 Old 10-05-2007, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Alright, since I seem to be the only one brainstorming my problem, here goes.

The above solutions didn't work. Tried the Gefen HDMI super booster today to no avail, so it's going back.

My next pre-new-TV option is an Octava 5x2 HDMI switch/splitter. One output to the monitor (should be carrying both audio/video), and one output to the 805 for HDMI audio purposes. I figure this should work, plus, if/when I get a front projector, will utilize it then as well. I'm thinking the biggest issue I may run into is A/V sync issues, but we'll see how that goes.

Thanks for the suggestions submitted so far on my quest. And it has indeed become a quest!

post #14 of 18 Old 10-05-2007, 01:47 PM

If it makes you feel any better, I just discovered that my brand new Samsung DLP set will not accept the S-video output from my B&K Reference 50 preamp/processor. It syncs up for about 1 second and then the TV goes black and displays an error message "unsupported format" or something like this. So at the moment I cannot use the onscreen display for setting up my audio system since my first-generation B&K Ref 50 does not output the OSD on component video!
post #15 of 18 Old 10-05-2007, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

As much as I love this hobby, it gets extremely frustrating when these incompatibilities exist. And some people wonder why adoption of high-definition content is slow.

Good luck getting your connections figured out!

post #16 of 18 Old 10-06-2007, 08:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod View Post

If it makes you feel any better, I just discovered that my brand new Samsung DLP set will not accept the S-video output from my B&K Reference 50 preamp/processor. It syncs up for about 1 second and then the TV goes black and displays an error message "unsupported format" or something like this. So at the moment I cannot use the onscreen display for setting up my audio system since my first-generation B&K Ref 50 does not output the OSD on component video!

Have you tried a cheap S-video to composite adapter to see if it will accept composite?
post #17 of 18 Old 10-25-2007, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Finally got the bulk of my situation fixed. After trying two separate HDMI splitters (an Octava 5x2 and a Monoprice 4x2 matrix, which I've decided to keep for future use despite some glaring shortcomings), I fixed the primary part of my dilemma.

After dealing with this for several months, I narrowed down the need to fix the problem just with the PS3 first, since I could always get multichannel with the DirecTV HR20-700 with optical, and 5.1 analogs with the XA2. I finally picked up a cheap(ish) generic HDMI 1x2 splitter off eBay for about $65 shipped. The PS3 is output to that, then the signal is split to the 805 for audio just from the PS3, and my Monoprice 5x1 HDMI switch. Voila, picture and audio both, no sync problems, no multiple button pushes to get the right input to the right output on the switch. Now, if I do the same with my XA2 (to give the 5.1 analogs back to my DVD-Audio player gathering dust), I'll pick up another splitter and do the same.

I think I could open up my own home theater accessories store with all the unused things I've got littering my house now.

post #18 of 18 Old 12-21-2007, 02:40 PM

I bought the 3x1 switch a few months ago.

Sounds great on paper.

One caveat make sure that any HDMI out device hook-up to it does not have it HDMI port on all the time. My Samsung DVD/VHS recorder does. It will not switch automatically as stated by Octava.

They don't tell you that up-front. They explained that to me after they got my money.

Read the website for the warranty carefully 30 days. It's a pretty pricey unit for 30 days.

When did I notice the 30 day warranty? When mine started to hang-up and only pass audio (no video). Have to un-plug and re-plug the cable to the TV.

Their response to my 4 emails. No response!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page