Problem with RCA r52wh77: Convergence changes depending on brightness - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 10-03-2007, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My roommate has an RCA r52wh77 52" CRT Rear Projection HDTV that we have in the living room. Basically he bought it broken for cheap. It looks like it was dropped.

I've been messing with it for the past month trying to improve the picture. At first I only played with the service adjustments and tried to compensate for the messed up screen. I finally took it apart and fixed the screen, which had been knocked out of position which caused it to be wavy and not flush. I ended up fooling with the lens focus (both manual and digital) and the color saturation. I probably shouldn't have touched either.

Anyway, it seems like I made the original convergence problems worse. I don't know if it was something I did inside the set, or something I adjusted in the service settings but the screen's convergence changes depending on the brightness. It was always like this, but now it's a lot worse.

Here is a diagram of what is happening since this is hard to describe in words:
TV displaying a dark 4:3 image
TV displaying a bright 4:3 image

As the brightness increases, the shape of the image is no longer square. The corners of the screen are stretching. This really isn't that noticeable when watching a 16:9 image. The problem though is that I'll set the convergence and it'll look fine, but as soon as the brightness changes the colors no longer converge at the sides of the screen and it looks pretty bad.

I'm pretty sure it's an ITC222 Chassis.

Any ideas on how to fix this thing? It doesn't have to be perfect, I just want it to be tolerable.

Format Neutral: Samsung BD-UP5000
HD DVDs: 41
Blu-rays: 24
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-04-2007, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Funny. Those colors look converged on both your pictures. Also, I think this is some store's 'special' model# - not RCA's actual(None that start with r, none with a 77). Does it have an HD/Digital tuner? Does it say SCENIUM on front?
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page