Sony Grand Wega III Blue blob on center of screen? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 10-22-2007, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have one Sony Grand Wega III KF-50WE610 that has a blue blob spot in the center of the screen. Can someone with experience help me diagnostic the issue?
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 10-22-2007, 07:36 PM

Problem is in optics block. Can you see it on a non-used input with the brightness turned up?(shows clearer)
post #3 of 22 Old 10-23-2007, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Here are some pics with an unused input. Any help would be appreciated.
LL
LL
LL
post #4 of 22 Old 10-23-2007, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Here ae some with Avia test paterns:

These are for UMR.
LL
LL
LL
post #5 of 22 Old 10-23-2007, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 35
What color temp are you using ?

Try scrolling through them all and see if the blue spot changes color or has less color.

When I had the green blob on my 2020, it was worse on Warm1 and 2 and barely noticable on Neutral or Cool.

post #6 of 22 Old 10-23-2007, 06:07 PM

These pictures are hard to see. Except they look brightish near the center; unless that's your camera.
If you're saying a blue very softly defined blob, it's in optics block. It's something like a color diffractor that's used to separate light into red/green/blue, and it's maybe burned. Or possibly the first lense past lamp which diffuses light into a uniform brightness.
post #7 of 22 Old 10-23-2007, 09:16 PM

Try a Black and White show. I love Lucy,or Leave it to Beaver. I noticed mine while watching the Leave it to Beaver Pilot show that was on a couple of weeks ago.
post #8 of 22 Old 10-24-2007, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter

Is not the camera. The spot is on the center of the screen and is more white/blue than green.
post #9 of 22 Old 10-24-2007, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a GWIII that is 4 years old this month. When my light engine needed to be replaced in January (IIRC), my yellow "etch-a-sketch" pattern was static; no change through all inputs or aspect ratio changes. As suggested before, take a look at the suspect area while viewing a B/W show.

YMMV

"Typos are very important to all written form. It gives the reader something to look for so they aren't distracted by the total lack of content in your writing."

- Randy K. Milholland
post #10 of 22 Old 10-24-2007, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mine does not change either. It stays the same. I just look at it wit ha B?W show and is there just the same. Also changed color temperature from cool to warm and is just a little more noticeable. What do the experts have to say?
post #11 of 22 Old 10-25-2007, 01:22 PM

Here is what my VVEGA looks like, see the burn in on the left side very pronounced not as much on the right side.See the star pattern in the center , discoloration.With a color generator I can see the problem is ion the blue LCD ,The green and red appear fine.This Magenta color shows best with my camera... jo
LL
post #12 of 22 Old 10-28-2007, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

How do I get to test it with the magenta patern?
post #13 of 22 Old 10-30-2007, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

I'm going to order a new bulb for my RPTV and see what happens.
Do you guys know anything about the Light Engine repair services offered by TRI-STATE MODULE INC? They say they would repair the Optical Block failure for less than $400. Anyone heard of them?
Please let me know.
post #14 of 22 Old 10-30-2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiquito3 View Post

I'm going to order a new bulb for my RPTV and see what happens.
Do you guys know anything about the Light Engine repair services offered by TRI-STATE MODULE INC? They say they would repair the Optical Block failure for less than $400. Anyone heard of them?
Please let me know.

I`ve read they are very good.Read somewhere they are one of the only ones authorized to rebuild the Sony optical blocks.

http://www.tristatemodule.com/
post #15 of 22 Old 10-30-2007, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiquito3 View Post

How do I get to test it with the magenta patern?

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownloa...oad-34404.html

post #16 of 22 Old 11-05-2007, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

I'm still waiting for the bulb to arrive. I order an Osram. I haven't test with the patterns you on the link you posted jojo57.

The bulb is at the post office so I guess I'll be dealling with this this week. Any advice from the experts before I do anything wrong to the TV? I mean is there any special instructions to do the exchange, any place to clean so it will work better?
post #17 of 22 Old 12-11-2007, 08:22 AM

Today (12/11/07) Sony announced that they were extending their warranty on the "blue spot" issue for another set of previously uncovered models.

Mine was actually on the list this time around (KF-50WE610) and Sony even called me about a week before the announcement to let me know it was coming out. (I had already called them for troubleshooting so they had my number.)

Sony had definately made me a much happier customer than I was after I got off the phone with their support!

For all the details go to //esupport.sony.com/US/perl/news-item.pl?mdl=KF50WE610&news_id=237
post #18 of 22 Old 12-15-2007, 04:01 PM

post #19 of 22 Old 11-08-2008, 07:33 PM

Hey chiquito3, you sent me a PM but it says either you're not allowed to receive PMs or have PM's blocked:
'Yup,
Sounds like you'll be using it for what I used to use it for with my Denon 3801 which was sending HD audio over analog. This will do the trick.

Sam'

Panasonic 60VT60, Integra 9.9, Outlaw Amp, Sunfire EQ10, Liquid cooled Windows 7 Media Center

post #20 of 22 Old 11-08-2008, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I had a similar discolored area in my GWII that was most noticeable in B&W movies. They replaced the entire light engine (I think it was called). Fortunately my TV still had its extended warranty.

That warranty ended in March 2008 after 5 years. If I have any future problems with my TV, I'll likely just get another one. As good as it's been, putting several hundred dollars into a TV that has lousy black levels (though good color) doesn't make sense.
post #21 of 22 Old 11-10-2008, 02:01 PM

I have a 60wE610 that as a blue blob problem. Unfortunately I noticed it about two months after the 6/30/2008 extended warranty expired. And it seems to be getting worse.

Thanks to other threads on this topic I became aware this issue was not unique to me. I made a couple of phone calls to Sony Support and eventually wrote a letter to the Executive Review Committee per the Sony process. Sony made me a trade in offer on a new set. The offer amounts to a 20% discount and you keep the bad set. Unfortunately I really want a 60" screen and Sony only has a 70" for a ridiculous price of $20K, or a 55" for $7K before discount. No way am I giving Sony that much money after this bad experience. Even after the discount you can get the top of the line Samsung LN55A950 for less.

I could get a smaller set and save a couple hundred bucks, but I would also be sacrificing any future potential compensation should a class action law suit be filed. So I'm probably not going to do that either. And again I'd rather be done with Sony as this isn't my only bad experience concerning the reliability of their products.

It seems my choices are to fix the set or go with another brand. Does anyone know if replacing the optical block is a permanent fix, or will the problem reoccur in a few years? I am also tempted to write another letter voicing my displeasure, since there really is no viable 60" replacement right now.

For now I guess I'll study the threads on replacement of the optical block and see what the parts cost is and if I want to take this on myself.
post #22 of 22 Old 11-10-2008, 03:38 PM

The model you mentioned is covered till March 31, 2009 for warping to the lamp access door and any other damage that may have occured do to the excess heat. See http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/new...10&news_id=261. You could check for door warping and claim the blue spots are caused by the same problem. Excess heat.

Maybe worth a try

[QU322]I have a 60wE610 that as a blue blob problem. Unfortunately I noticed it about two months after the 6/30/2008 extended warranty expired. And it seems to be getting worse.

Thanks to other threads on this topic I became aware this issue was not unique to me. I made a couple of phone calls to Sony Support and eventually wrote a letter to the Executive Review Committee per the Sony process. Sony made me a trade in offer on a new set. The offer amounts to a 20% discount and you keep the bad set. Unfortunately I really want a 60" screen and Sony only has a 70" for a ridiculous price of $20K, or a 55" for $7K before discount. No way am I giving Sony that much money after this bad experience. Even after the discount you can get the top of the line Samsung LN55A950 for less.

I could get a smaller set and save a couple hundred bucks, but I would also be sacrificing any future potential compensation should a class action law suit be filed. So I'm probably not going to do that either. And again I'd rather be done with Sony as this isn't my only bad experience concerning the reliability of their products.

It seems my choices are to fix the set or go with another brand. Does anyone know if replacing the optical block is a permanent fix, or will the problem reoccur in a few years? I am also tempted to write another letter voicing my displeasure, since there really is no viable 60" replacement right now.

For now I guess I'll study the threads on replacement of the optical block and see what the parts cost is and if I want to take this on myself.[/quote]
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page