When do new TV's come out? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-27-2007, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just wondering if you guys could help me out. I am in the market to buy a new TV and it's been quite awhile since I've had to shop for a TV. I've been checking all of the local big box stores & I've noticed all the DLP's, LCOS, HD-ILA's are all being deeply discounted right now. Also, there are very few of these TV's in stores now as most of their televisions for sale are some sort of flat screen. I don't want to buy one of these TV's if they're being phased out. Now, if they're just clearing the shelves for the new model DLP's & LCOS's that are coming out soon, then maybe I'll wait a bit to see what the newer models have to offer as I'm in no rush to buy a new TV. Does anybody know when the new models for TV's come out????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-27-2007, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

New models can be released throughout the year, but it seems to me that most are released in the summer or fall, and this year's models are already in stores for the most part.

Each display technology- whether DLP, LCoS, LCD RPTV, LCD flat panel, or plasma has its own inherent advantages and disadvantages. One primary advantage of rear projection TV's has been a tremendous price advantage compared to flat panel TV's of similar size and quality. Flat panel displays are "sexier" (and even more practical for people with limited space) so they're very popular- and since they're popular with buyers they're commanding more and more showroom space. As prices for flat panel displays drop one advantage of RPTV decreases so RPTV's drop in price to maintain their relative value.

Some predict that prices will drop to the point that RPTV's will no longer be profitable to manufacture and sell and they'll eventually disappear. Others feel that RPTV technological improvements will continue and they'll keep their value compared to flat panels. I think that you'll find that most posters on this RPTV forum feel that for now at least and for larger screen sizes at least the "bang for the buck" from RPTV's makes them very attractive. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-27-2007, 06:44 AM

Liked: 11
kelpie,

that's an excellent response to a question I myself had as well. Very nicely elaborated.

Thanks!
-J
post #4 of 5 Old 10-27-2007, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 220
CES 2008 in early January in Vegas - We'll see what's coming to market and debuts can occur in January like the Sharp D93 replacements in LCD FP and the many new DLP's will debut through the spring. Samsung often has more than a single line debut through the year as does Sharp.

Slideshow of pictures and reports from members present at CES will be provided but expect Sharps big news for LCD will be early 2008 since the D93 must be replaced and they use CES for the stage. DLP will have big news with Darkchip 4 from TI as they need it to remain in the marketplace and compete with flat panels - once FP's go large and at affordable pricing forget about it but that may not happen for 2 more years.

So enjoy the Bowl Games and Holidays and then prepare for CES and then we'll discuss it all for months thereafter.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #5 of 5 Old 10-27-2007, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies!!! I'm going to upgrade my old Sony 51" widescreen but I'm in no rush to buy, so I want to take my time & really research my options. I'm definitely leaning toward some type of RPTV as I really like the bang for the buck value. I don't want to get a TV smaller than what I currently have and flat panels above 50" get really pricey. I suppose waiting till CES in January would be a good idea to see what'll be coming out next year. It's not that far away. I've been very pleased with my Sony so I've thought about getting an SXRD but I also like the DLP's with the LED engines. Well, for now, I guess I'll keep doing some reading and I'll keep a close eye on CES in January. Thanks again guys.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page