Sony KDS-R50XBR1 turns itself off and on periodically - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 11-20-2007, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having a problem with my Sony KDS-R50XBR1 shutting itself off. I originally had this problem about a year ago and had Best Buy out to work on it. They found no problem and couldn't fix anything. The problem is now back, getting worse by the day. Every now and then it shuts itself off, green light flashes as many as 50 or more times (usually about 20 - 30 seconds) and then the tv comes back on. I've tried unplugging it to reset the memory but it's still doing it. Usually it would do it once in an evening but now it's about every 15 minutes. I've already had the optical block fixed for the yellow blob but this problem was there (very seldomly) before that. It is not overheating and the red error light does not flash.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-20-2007, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Replace the lamp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old 11-21-2007, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, but two different repairmen said the lamp is fine. Can you give more details? Is this a proven fix for this problem or just a suggestion to try? I'm not an expert (obviously) but it does't act like it's the lamp. The power actually shuts off. Also, the red error light has a code for bad lamp and there is no red light when it turns off.

I tried something new yesterday. I unplugged it for about five minutes and it slowed down to only once per hour. I then unplugged it for a few hours and it only shut off once after that. Because of that "success" I unplugged it before bed last night so we'll see if that helps.

Thanks!
post #4 of 20 Old 11-21-2007, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclipc View Post

Thanks, but two different repairmen said the lamp is fine. Can you give more details? Is this a proven fix for this problem or just a suggestion to try? I'm not an expert (obviously) but it does't act like it's the lamp....

Same symptom, Sony told me to replace the lamp and have not been called back to that set. Lamps can fail without blowing or showing visible signs, and they often do cause intermittent problems. How long have you had this lamp?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 Old 11-21-2007, 07:48 AM

I had this problem fixed a few weeks ago. I have the 60xbr1 - 2005 build.

My audio and video would go out. The TV was resetting itself. The standby light would blink 52 times. On the 53rd blink, the audio and video would come back on. When this first happened, it would happen at least once an hour - then it got really bad. It starting doing this every 2 minutes and I had enough.

I had a tech come out. They replaced the lamp, the lamp ballast and the power source.

Crazy thing is, being 2 years old, the lamp only had 3000 hours on it. Its a shame it failed so early.

So far, I have not had the issue repeat itself, so maybe that would be a good starting point for you.
post #6 of 20 Old 11-23-2007, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsab View Post

The standby light would blink 52 times. On the 53rd blink, the audio and video would come back on

Looks like we've got the EXACT same problem. I sat and counted the blinks on the green light thinking that maybe it was a code and I counted exactly 53 flashes when it came back on.

Looks like I'm going to replace the bulb. Luckily I watched the first tech when they replaced my light engine to fix the green blob so I know how to do the light myself. If the power source or ballast are the problem I'll have to have someone do that though. I'll keep everyone posted on whether or not this fixes it.

Thanks for the help!
post #7 of 20 Old 11-23-2007, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn View Post

How long have you had this lamp?

This is the original lamp and is now about 1 yr 10 mos old. Although, it started doing this at about 10 months.

Thanks for the details. I really appreciate it!
post #8 of 20 Old 12-07-2007, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Well, so far so good. I replaced the lamp (bulb only) yesterday and it hasn't shut off since. I'm still not convinced it's fixed because the problem was so random but it hasn't stayed on this long in quite a while.

I bought the bulb on ebay for $125 and although the seller guarantees it's the OEM bulb I'm not sure I believe him. It's very different than the bulb I took out and the package is just a plain brown box. I probably bought a cheap knock off replacement. BUT, if it goes out again I know that the lamp will fix the problem and I'll go ahead and invest in one from Sony.

Changing the bulb out from the plastic housing was pretty easy. The only tricky part of putting it back together and getting the spring in the right place. If you try this yourself, take note of how the spring is installed. I know other people are wondering how to do this so I took pictures and will post a website with instructions later.

Again, thanks to everyone for the help.
post #9 of 20 Old 12-07-2007, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Now would be a good time to check and clear the error codes. With the Tv off, using the remote press display, 5, vol down, power. A list comes up, if any of them are a "1", then it means you had a problem with that at one time. To clear the list press 8, enter.

post #10 of 20 Old 12-12-2007, 12:11 PM

I too had this problem and replaced the lamp. That fixed it. However I now have the Optical Block problem!! This TV has caused me nothing but grief and I'm now asking Sony to replace it! I have no faith in it.
post #11 of 20 Old 12-14-2007, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Here is a link to my website with instructions on how to replace just the bulb in your existing housing:

http://www.geocities.com/bob_lipp/
post #12 of 20 Old 12-22-2007, 01:37 PM

we have the same problem....53 blinks....thanks for posting so i will now buy the bulb only
post #13 of 20 Old 06-23-2008, 06:59 PM

I have experienced the same problem (~53 blinks) and have changed the bulb. Unfortunately I am still experiencing the same intermittent behavior. Any other suggestions? I can go hours without the reset and sometimes it will happen after 45 minutes of viewing. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
post #14 of 20 Old 05-02-2009, 10:51 PM

My Sony KDS-R50XBR1 is doing the same thing as described above. It will shut itself off, and the green light blinks about 53 times, then it comes back on. I have replaced it with a new bulb bought from Sony, yet it still does it. I had the optical block replaced also last summer.

Did anyone ever come up with a final fix for this?
post #15 of 20 Old 05-03-2009, 05:46 AM

My KDS-R50XBR1 shut off and the light blinks. I noticed the large cooling fan was not running so I removed the back and the large cooling fan and vaccumed the blades that were coated heavily with dust. I reinstalled the fan and it worked for 1 day and quit again. I removed the fan again and decided that maybe the fan needed replacing but as a final gesture I pulled on the blade and it came off the motor but the shaft was very dry so I put 1 drop of light oil on the shaft and the blade popped back on. When I reinstalled it every thing works great except I noticed that the fan will install either blowing in or blowing out. When you take the back off the fan it will fall out before you notice which way it was mounted. I need to know which way is correct, blowing in or blowing out. Thanks
post #16 of 20 Old 05-03-2009, 12:10 PM

Take the lower back case off and pull the large cooling fan out. Be sure to note which side of fan is facing out. Pull fan blade off by tugging hard on hub center. Use toothpick to lightly lubricate shaft hole with silicon grease and rub blade shaft lightly with lube. These little fans cost less than $20 and should be replaced if this doesn't work.
post #17 of 20 Old 05-08-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mflag View Post

Take the lower back case off and pull the large cooling fan out. Be sure to note which side of fan is facing out. Pull fan blade off by tugging hard on hub center. Use toothpick to lightly lubricate shaft hole with silicon grease and rub blade shaft lightly with lube. These little fans cost less than $20 and should be replaced if this doesn't work.

Was this a fix you found for the shuts off and green light blinks 53 or so times? Sorry, just wondering if you had the same problem. Mine is doing that now 3 times an hour or so, at random intervals.
post #18 of 20 Old 09-23-2009, 05:42 AM

Hi,

I like to know if having a dark picture on the edges means that the Lamp needs replacement? I have noticed this about after 1-year of usage in just a small area on the frame. Now, after 3000-hours + the dark areas are more visible, and I need to set the picture to high intensity to overcome some of it.

Is it time to replace the lamp? Do I have dust in the projection mirros?

--thanks and regards,
Rafy D
post #19 of 20 Old 09-27-2009, 05:00 PM

Hi,

I just started having this problem as well. TV shuts off screen, standy light blinks green for about 30 seconds. then screen turns back on. at this point, I am getting this happening every 5-10 minutes! I have unplugged the tv from the power strip, waiting 20 minutes, plugged it directly into the wall outlet.

nothing seems to work.
checked error codes, nothing but zeroes... so calling a tv repair shop to come out and see if they can figure what the deal is.

have not tried to clean the rear fan blades as others have done.. yet, will try that and let you know.

but right now, I'm at 5 minute intervals of screen shutdown... this sucks.

thanks,
ant.
post #20 of 20 Old 11-05-2012, 10:16 PM

Can someone please help me how to find out what is a good lamp? I found some on amazon for 35$. How to guarantee I am picking the right one? Thank you for this thread it is very helpful
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page