Problem with Sony Grand Wega, Blue Tinge on Screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 12-09-2007, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My father in law bought a 60" Grand Wega 3 years ago, it had a problem with a blue tinge on one side of the screen, so he replaced the bulb, it didnt fix the problem, now the entire screen is has a blue tinge apart from the centre with has a dark oval shape which has line through it like cracks being projected????

Can you give some advice, I am very new to rear projection and am trying to help him out

Hope you can help

Porjecktor 1 - Down Under
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 12-09-2007, 10:36 PM

Projektor 1...sounds like the "Blue Blob" or optical block which may require replacement of the light engine. Here in the U.S., Sony extended the free replacement period for certain Sony Grand Wega sets. Call Sony and see if your particular model of Grand Wega is covered. I had the light engine on my Sony KDF-60XBR950 replaced about four months ago.
post #3 of 22 Old 12-09-2007, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Pinkey, I have done a bit of web browsing, and I must admit it scared me that there are so many problems with this "blue blob" problem, I have emailed Sony Australia and hope that they extend the repairs to this model, the tv cost him 7.5K AUD, and it looks like it costs 3.5K to repair the optical engine, I cant believe it.
IF he has to pay 3.5K he may as well buy a 50"LCD or PLASMA, and I can guarantee it won't be a SONY unless they come to the party over here in Australia.

We will wait and see,
heres hoping !
post #4 of 22 Old 12-11-2007, 10:58 AM

A message from Sony Electronics...

Posted: 12/11/2007

2003 Model Year Grand WEGA™ Televisions

Models: KDF-60XBR950, KDF-70XBR950, KF-42WE610, KF-50WE610 and KF-60WE610

As technology evolves, Sony continually looks to stand behind the reliability of its televisions. It has come to our attention that a limited number of Grand Wega rear projection televisions (models listed above), after a period of time, exhibit blue dot or star pattern on the screen.

As part of our commitment to quality, Sony is announcing that for any owner of these model televisions who paid out-of pocket expenses on or before December 31, 2007 for an estimate or repair service to replace the optical block for this specific issue, Sony will reimburse the customer by mail for his/her parts and labor expenses. To receive reimbursement, please follow completely the directions on the claim form for reimbursement; all claims must be postmarked by June 30, 2008. See claim form for complete terms and conditions.

In addition, for any customer who later experiences this issue on one of the affected models, Sony will cover the cost of the optical block repair (parts and labor) at no charge through June 30, 2008. All other terms of the Sony limited warranty continue to apply. Sony utilizes a network of hundreds of qualified independent third-party servicers to perform in-home television warranty service. Sony, through its authorized servicer network, will endeavor to repair your set within 30 days of your first contact. For diagnosis, warranty service, or if you are not provided a repair within 30 days, please contact Sony at (888) 649-7669.
post #5 of 22 Old 12-14-2007, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter

Well although Sony Electronics (USA) have posted that this is a free repair, not here in Australia. I have a guy coming out next week to check it out and confirm the problem.

I may have a chance with what Sony Australia call "warranty assist", I am still to find out what this actually entails, but they suggested that they may provide parts free of charge and we will be up for the labour.

I will update this next week when I know more

Anyone in Australia who has had a similar experience, I would love to hear from you, maybe you might have some advice?!?!?!?

Cheers
post #6 of 22 Old 12-25-2007, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Well the guy came out and has said he needs to take it away to diagnose and quote the problem properly.

They pick it up in the new year. (I hope Sony are going to help, I didn't like the look on the guys face when he saw the problem, it looked expensive!)

If there is anyone else in Australia that has experienced anything like this, I would appreciate your advice.

Happy Xmas everyone
post #7 of 22 Old 12-27-2007, 08:15 PM

I have the same kind issues on my 60" Grand Wega (KF-WS60S1). I have got blue pixels all over the place and also blue blobs which seem to change shape and size every couple of days. Last night we turned the TV on and it now has a yellow'ish blob about 50X20cms.

I have contacted a technician about this a few months back when there were only a few blue dots appearing and they said it could cost about $3K+ to fix. WOW

After seeing the post about SONY in the U.S going to pay for parts and labor on certain models I decided to call SONY support in Australia. The guy said that he can't see any reported issues in regards to this but he can give me the number of a local technician to fix it.

I wander how many of these things are actually faulty? I tried to call my local Service guys but they are away until the 7th of Jan.

That would be great if you can update us on what the tech says in regards to SONY "helping" out.
post #8 of 22 Old 03-25-2008, 10:43 PM

I have noticed the same blue smudge appearing on my Wega kf42s1 and so am really interested to find out exactly what the problem is and if Sony plan to help fix it. I suspect that if more customers express their dismay at the performance of the televisions this may impress upon Sony to back their products up in Australia as they seem to have in the US. I'm wondering, 60InchesOfBlue, if you heard any more back from Sony, and what your service guys said. Another posting to let us know would be wonderful!!!
post #9 of 22 Old 07-20-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony Electronics View Post

A message from Sony Electronics...

Posted: 12/11/2007

2003 Model Year Grand WEGA™ Televisions

Models: KDF-60XBR950, KDF-70XBR950, KF-42WE610, KF-50WE610 and KF-60WE610

As technology evolves, Sony continually looks to stand behind the reliability of its televisions. It has come to our attention that a limited number of Grand Wega rear projection televisions (models listed above), after a period of time, exhibit blue dot or star pattern on the screen.

As part of our commitment to quality, Sony is announcing that for any owner of these model televisions who paid out-of pocket expenses on or before December 31, 2007 for an estimate or repair service to replace the optical block for this specific issue, Sony will reimburse the customer by mail for his/her parts and labor expenses. To receive reimbursement, please follow completely the directions on the claim form for reimbursement; all claims must be postmarked by June 30, 2008. See claim form for complete terms and conditions.

In addition, for any customer who later experiences this issue on one of the affected models, Sony will cover the cost of the optical block repair (parts and labor) at no charge through June 30, 2008. All other terms of the Sony limited warranty continue to apply. Sony utilizes a network of hundreds of qualified independent third-party servicers to perform in-home television warranty service. Sony, through its authorized servicer network, will endeavor to repair your set within 30 days of your first contact. For diagnosis, warranty service, or if you are not provided a repair within 30 days, please contact Sony at (888) 649-7669.

Was this a cut and paste? Because the kf-60we610 is no longer listed as a covered model. Naturally it is the one that I own and is experiencing the exact problem discussed in this thread. I called Sony at the # provided and they said it was up to me to pay for the repair- this model is not covered. I am going to try second tier support tomorrow to see if I can talk to someone who can make exceptions.
Meantime anyone with more current info please help!
post #10 of 22 Old 07-21-2008, 07:29 AM

Liked: 12
I have a KF-50WE610 w/ the blue blob that Sony told me a month ago is still covered and coverage will be extended till 2009. I'm having it repaired by my extended warranty w/ Tweeter, but they claim sony is covering it.
Good Luck
post #11 of 22 Old 07-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzzie3 View Post

I have a KF-50WE610 w/ the blue blob that Sony told me a month ago is still covered and coverage will be extended till 2009.

According to a phone call with Sony, it's not extended. Expired June 30,2008
post #12 of 22 Old 07-30-2008, 02:18 AM

This issue is also with my kdf-e50A10 and I've read many other owners who have the blue discoloration. Where can I call to submit a warranty repair on a display I bought new in Dec.'05?

XBL- Z3ROx24
post #13 of 22 Old 07-30-2008, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/new...55&news_id=206

They replaced the optical block on my 2005 60XS955.
post #14 of 22 Old 08-20-2008, 05:43 AM

Hi all,

Just had this same issue with my KDF 55WF655 - apparently they are now offering to replace/repair this problem or offer you an upgrade to a new KDL 52" model (the V or W) at ($700 or $843) respectively. They require that you return the S/N sticker on the old TV to them - but you can keep the old TV. My understanding is that this will be available to customers until the end of the year....
post #15 of 22 Old 08-20-2008, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrusnak View Post

According to a phone call with Sony, it's not extended. Expired June 30,2008

wrong!
post #16 of 22 Old 08-20-2008, 07:55 AM

I really do hate mis-information. I am not sure who you spoke with but please find below a link to the sony support site. Please note - it does reference specific model numbers for LCD Rear projection TVs (was your TV one of these models?). Also, please read the whole thing - as the text in the last paragraph will inform you that Sony is extending their coverage of this problem until December 31, 2008. They also provide the phone number to call for this problem. That is the number I called and was informed about the options for repair/replacement as described earlier....

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/news-i...mdl=KDF55WF655

Hope this clears things up for everyone....
post #17 of 22 Old 08-20-2008, 08:14 AM

The date you can file was extended but the date the repairs needed to be done by "You must provide BOTH a copy of your purchase receipt of qualifying TV model and optical block service receipt dated on or before August 31, 2007. "

But the did extend it until Jun of this year, I know this because I have spent a lot of time trying to get them to cover mine which is on its 3rd optical block. I wish there was a class action suit for this! 3K down the drain and they wont do anything for me!

I am thinking of putting it on the curb now and buying the Samsung HL61A750 61-Inch 1080p LED Powered DLP HDTV
post #18 of 22 Old 06-11-2009, 10:06 AM

i also have the KDF-55WF655 I bought new in Jan 2005. it has the blue blob/blue dot optical block issue, and has for about a year. Sony had extended the warranty to Dec 08, but will now stonewall you with 2 lame offers. this is a know issue with what seems to be all of their rear projection models. google 'sony optical block' and you get all kinds of consumer complaints, and class action lawsuits. this is a good one:

http://getsatisfaction.com/sony/topi...al_block_issue
post #19 of 22 Old 11-30-2009, 09:04 AM

I have a KF-42WE610 purchased on 2003. I began to notice the blue blog 18 months ago, but did nothing about it as I thought the bulb was failing. The blob eventually got larger and blue dots began to appear. I took it to our local service shop and was told the light engine needed to be replaced, to the tune of $1650 Cdn. I called Sony at the number above and was told the extended warranty repair was no longer being offered. I logged a complaint and made it very clear I would not be replacing the TV with another Sony. I suggest others do the same. My old RCA 21" tube TV ran for 20 years without a problem. I would have expected as much from my very expensive Sony.
post #20 of 22 Old 04-15-2010, 09:33 PM

thousands of others are having the same problem with the failed optics block. please join the "I have a defective sony TV" on facebook.
post #21 of 22 Old 03-15-2013, 12:34 PM

Just curious, did you ever get any satisfaction or response from Sony after your letter. I know it several years later and I'm finding that iI have blue spots on KDF-42WE655 model. I just contact Sony to see what they could do and bascially it's my responsibility to get it fixed since it is out of warranty. They offered me a 15% discount for a new television on the on-line store but as you stated, I wouldn't expect to have to purchase a new television when I paid so much money for this one.
post #22 of 22 Old 11-29-2013, 08:45 PM

I have just discovered this site after suffering large yellow spots on my Grand Wega KFWS60 (Australia) for a few years and thinking that replacing the bulb would fix it. Just had to replace the bulb only to find the yellow satin remains. If I had known I probably have ditched the TV and bought a new 60in model for <$1500.  Is there any recent news on this or has everyone basically given up and moved on? - which if the case I won't by a Sony next time around.

Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page