PLEASE READ: My Fry's Horror Story - Broken A3000 Delivered and stuck with it - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 51 Old 12-24-2007, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,

Please read all of this. You all have helped me choose a TV and now I need your help again. This will be a long post, so I can explain what happened and why I'm stuck with a broken TV and out $2000.

We closed on the house on Wednesday, Fry's delivered the tv on Saturday and when the delivered it, my wife and I were busy doing other things in the house, so when the Fry's delivery guy asked if I wanted to unpack the TV, I said no and said I'd do it later by myself. That was the costliest mistake I have every made.

So anyway, two hours later, my brother in law and I unpack the box and while my brother in law is taking off the plastic, he says "there's a BIG crack in the back of the TV". I wasn't looking at the back when I pulled the plastic off, so I was thinking it's a little crack in the plastic, no big deal. I go around and look at the crack, and it's a 2 foot crack on the rear plastic panel. When I say that, it destroyed me. I'm still destroyed about it. I immediately called Fry's and spoke to the my sales person and the delivery manager. I was irate so I demanded that they replace my tv today (Saturday). That didn't happen. My wife and I both tried to call and after being transferred around and hung up on at least 10 times without an answer, we were told that they would be able to replace it but not until Jan. 5th.

That was unaccpetable for me so I called my sales person back and asked her if I could come bring the TV back and if I could replace it. She spoke to the her manager and they agreed to exchange the TV, but told me that I'd have to go through customer service up front. We get to Frys and unload the TV and bring it in. The new replacement TV was already up there waiting for us.

Well they don't agree to replace it, saying that it is a big ticket item, and that the sales people should have never agreed to the exchange. The CS manager explains to me that he needs to take pictures of the damage (the tv has already been unboxed and plastic unwrapped by this time). He explains to me that they can't just give me an even exchange without the store managers approval. I tell him that's not what the TV department said and that is the reason I brought the TV up in the first place.

The store manager calls us the next day, and says that he can't replace it. He is going to have to send the pictures to his Sony rep, and see if he can credit for the TV. If Sony gives Fry's credit for this broken TV (we can hear the glass shattered in there), then and only then will they replace our TV, otherwise we are out $2000 and stuck with a broken TV.

I really need everyone's help in trying to figure out what I can do. I didn't break the TV. My biggest and only mistake was that I didn't make them open the box when they delivered it.

I if they say no, that they can't get credit for it, I will continue to escalate this until I get a new tv from them. I will escalate this all the way to the president of Fry's if I have to. Until then, please help me. I can't do anything to the tv like open it up until I get an answer from them about the replacement credit from their Sony Rep, but if at the end they don't replace it, what can I do?

Please help me!!!!!
Thank you!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 12-24-2007, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

I haven't called Sony yet, but I don't know what they'd be able to do. I did get an extended warranty at Fry's but I know that doesn't cover damage to the, that it doesn't cover things like this.

Also, I charged this on my Sony card that I opened up when I was buying the TV. Maybe I can call the credit card and see if they have any buyer protection like American Express does.

As you can probably tell, my wife and I are SO bummed out about this, to put it in a nice way.

If there is anything you can do to help or have ANY ideas, please post them, also if you want, please PM me and I'll give you my cell so we can talk about this.

You've all be a great help, I'm in need, PLEASE HELP ME!
Thank you!
post #3 of 51 Old 12-24-2007, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaB3E View Post

I haven't called Sony yet, but I don't know what they'd be able to do. I did get an extended warranty at Fry's but I know that doesn't cover damage to the, that it doesn't cover things like this.

Also, I charged this on my Sony card that I opened up when I was buying the TV. Maybe I can call the credit card and see if they have any buyer protection like American Express does.

As you can probably tell, my wife and I are SO bummed out about this, to put it in a nice way.

If there is anything you can do to help or have ANY ideas, please post them, also if you want, please PM me and I'll give you my cell so we can talk about this.

You've all be a great help, I'm in need, PLEASE HELP ME!
Thank you!

If you used a credit/debit card, contact the issuer of the card and let them know about the problem. Sometimes they can help you.

AVS HD 709 - Free calibration disks
The 2007 Patriots: 18 -1
Tom who?
"...the small of napalm in the evening breeze, as I crouch behind a shopping cart in the parking lot..." - The Mall Ninja
post #4 of 51 Old 12-24-2007, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwjohn View Post

If you used a credit/debit card, contact the issuer of the card and let them know about the problem. Sometimes they can help you.

Thank you. I will call the credit card company and see if they can help.

Please keep the replies coming, all sugguestions / help is welcome.

I hate to say it, but I'M DESPRATE!!!

Thank you,
Pranav
post #5 of 51 Old 12-24-2007, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Did you test it to see if it workes despite the crack in the back panel?
post #6 of 51 Old 12-24-2007, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwjohn View Post

Yes, assuming that you paid with a credit card, and assuming that they have possession of the broken set, if they don't replace the set with a new one just do a chargeback and recoup the full amount. You will most likely have to wait until 30 days have passed from the day you returned it in order to file the chargeback with your creditor. Screw Fry's, try and get the number for that store's area supervisor and tell him how upset you are, you might be able to get some gift cards out of it too.
post #7 of 51 Old 12-24-2007, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Wow sorry to hear about this. That is one reason why I would never buy high priced items at Fry's the customer service is horrid.

I would call Fry's corporate and complain. Get names if you can as well.

Corporate Headquarters
600 E. Brokaw Rd.
San Jose, CA 95112
Phone: 408-487-4743

Sharp Elite Pro 60

Pioneer Elite VSX-52 Receiver

Pioneer Elite  BDP-62FD BluRay

post #8 of 51 Old 12-24-2007, 11:48 AM

Is there no return policy on electronics? I believe you have 30 days, look at your reciept. You can return it for ANY reason, although I have heard many cases of people on this site returning TV's because they are super duper picky. This is obviously a legit reason. Don't take any crap and show up at the door with your reciept.

p.s. don't forget you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

p.s.s. rewrap your set and don't mention the crack.
post #9 of 51 Old 12-24-2007, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Call the credit card company/bank that your Sony card is using. It is most likely GEM or HSBC or some major bank. Tell them what happened and that you are refusing payment. Check your rights that your credit card guarantees you.
post #10 of 51 Old 12-24-2007, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad View Post

Did you test it to see if it workes despite the crack in the back panel?

Yes, I plugged it in and hooked our DVR up to it and all it does is click on and then the green light flashes a couple times and then it flashes red. That's all it does.

I'll call the credit card company. The Sony card is through HSBC, as mentioned above.

If you have any more comments / suggestions please let me know.

Again, thank you,
Pranav
post #11 of 51 Old 12-24-2007, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

The biggest issue is that they keep saying that we broke the TV, and now are trying to exchange it. They have video of them unwrapping the box and checking it. They refuse to accept the fact that maybe the delivery guys could have dropped it after it left the store.....cause apparently the delivery guys deliver items every day.......
post #12 of 51 Old 12-24-2007, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

The one thing I have had a good deal of luck with is saying that I did what the Sales Rep told me to do. I assume you have the name of the person who told you to bring the set back and they would give you a new one. I kept saying (two different times with less expensive items) that I did what I was told to do by (persons name) and that I do not understand why Fry's will not back him/her up.

Does your box look damaged? Also, the CC company can tell Fry's they are going to remove the charge until it is resolved. I have found Fry's good but you MUST be polite but insist they do the right thing!

Also, you can tell them that you were glad to hear from the sales person that it would be resolved by the Holidays, and that you did nothing wrong. You just did what you were told to do and now Fry's wants to delay.
post #13 of 51 Old 12-24-2007, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The biggest issue is that they keep saying that we broke the TV, and now are trying to exchange it. They have video of them unwrapping the box and checking it. They refuse to accept the fact that maybe the delivery guys could have dropped it after it left the store.....cause apparently the delivery guys deliver items every day.......

Have you seen the video, or did they tell you they have a video? It seems strange they would unwrap the box to inspect it and then take videos on each box they open.

Also, even if they did have video, there is always the possibility they did not get it boxed up correctly. Was the box properly sealed when you opened it? It sounds to me like they are bluffing.
post #14 of 51 Old 12-24-2007, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

We did tell the store manager that. We told them that not only did the sales person, but also the sales manager for the department told us to bring it back to the store, so that we can get the TV before the holidays, and since they had a few in stock.

The box does not looked damaged at all. We are talking to the CC company now, and hopefully we can get this resolved.
post #15 of 51 Old 12-24-2007, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for your quick responses and ideas.

I just got off the phone with the credit card company. I have filed a dispute for the charge and they will work with me and Fry's to get this resolved.

I will keep you updated.

Thanks again for your help,
Happy Holidays,
Pranav
post #16 of 51 Old 12-24-2007, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Pranav,

Very sorry to hear about your troubles. Other than the suggestions I've already read, I don't know what else you can do. I can't believe they won't take the set back. Do not give in. Let your CC company (HSBC) know all the details. I can't believe they think you broke it when you reported the problem within a few hours of it being delivered.

Keep us posted.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #17 of 51 Old 12-24-2007, 03:51 PM

You mean to tell me they unpacked this thing, videoed it and repacked it? Sounds like a crock, when you unpacked it, did it looked like a repacked box? or a factory packed box? I just bought a 65 in. Mits and when cc delivered they unpacked it from the box in my yard, packed it in the house, bummer man but you have good advice listen to em and don't give up, I challenged a purchase one time with my visa got a hold of them and got it resolved when dealing with the merchant directly did not work. Good Luck.

Clovis,Ca
post #18 of 51 Old 12-24-2007, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Man, I'd bring that thing right back to the store during a busy time, haul it back to the TV department and raise hell. Loudly. They would see reason pretty quickly.

If that isn't an option, you could tell them that YOU have video of you unpacking the TV. Then not show it to them. Or hell, you could even re-pack the TV and then take one now. Act all pissed when you see the crack.

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
post #19 of 51 Old 12-24-2007, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Haha Shape, thanks for making me laugh. Like I posted earlier, I called my CC company (HSBC) and filed a dispute for the TV purchase. They said they'll investigate it and hopefully we'll get some kind of resolution (soon).

Either way, I am definately going to go up te ladder / chain of command at Fry's. I'll get the district manager's contact and work my way up. I am not lying, and like I told the store manager yesterday, I'll take a lie detector test to prove that I'm not. I know no one will make me do that, but I would and I'd pay for it myself, I know it can't be $1500.

I'll wait until Thursday / Friday and see what they say, who knows, maybe the will replace it. Otherwise, I'll tell them that I'm disputing the charge, I already have their names and I'll go up the ladder all the way up to the President of Fry's if I have to until I get my new WORKING tv.

I feel a lot better now that I've talked to the CC Company, but I'm not giving up and oh, I'll NEVER shop at Fry's again. I'll pay a little extra at BB or CC but at least I won't have to be treated like this and be told that I am lying.

Anyway, once more, thank you all for your help, suggestions and Shape, thanks for making me laugh man.

Ya'll have a Merry Christmas, I'll do the same. We have a brand new house and a ton of things to do still, so I'm not letting this keep me down. We have another TV coming this Saturday to look forward to, BB is deliving the 65" Mitsu 65733 for the living room and you can be sure that I'll have them unpack it, and I'll hook it up to the DVR before they leave.

I'll keep you posted.

Take care,
Pranav
post #20 of 51 Old 12-24-2007, 08:57 PM

Quote:

We have a brand new house and a ton of things to do still, so I'm not letting this keep me down. We have another TV coming this Saturday to look forward to, BB is deliving the 65" Mitsu 65733 for the living room and you can be sure that I'll have them unpack it, and I'll hook it up to the DVR before they leave.

I'll keep you posted.

Take care,
Pranav

I had a similar but different experience. The Yellow Freight delivery guy said he "wasn't allowed to come into the house". When my nephew and I opened the box, we put it on the stand and he said "Uh oh, look at this." I was plugging the chord in the outlet. A HUGE crack in the front right TV screen.

I'm going to BB after Christmas and have them bring in a new Mitsu 65833 and set it up, that way they're responsible for everything. Things will work out.
post #21 of 51 Old 12-25-2007, 11:11 AM

Standard practice to always inspect package before accepting. Standard.

If they can't come into house, fine. Unpack it outside before accepting. Simple. Done deal.

Lastly, Hughmc is correct. It's a shame not a whole lot of people really understand what 'rights' they have as a credit card holder. The powers you wield are actually quite astronomical versus the retailer. I knew a guy who worked for a department specifically made just for calls for disputing charges. They side with the card holder every single time - the customer is always right, even if they are fraudulous.

There's too much blood in my alcohol system...
post #22 of 51 Old 12-26-2007, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Yes Squawks, you're right, unfortunately I had to learn the hard way. I will never accept a package again until I have fully inspected it.

I am going to call the credit card company today and follow up on the dispute and speak to a manager at the CC company to see what rights I have and how we can rectify this problem ASAP. I only had time to file a verbal dispute on Monday since the CC company was about to close for Christmas Eve.

I'll keep everyone posted.
Thanks,
Pranav
post #23 of 51 Old 12-26-2007, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't normally condone this type of thing, but if all else fails, you can always try the old "swappy swap:"

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...rm=swappy+swap

Of course, that would be a last resort, but I don't think it is all that unethical in this case where it sounds like Fry's is trying to screw you

AVS HD 709 - Free calibration disks
The 2007 Patriots: 18 -1
Tom who?
"...the small of napalm in the evening breeze, as I crouch behind a shopping cart in the parking lot..." - The Mall Ninja
post #24 of 51 Old 12-27-2007, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Hello All,

My wife just got a call from the Store Manager, who has agreed to replace the TV. They said that we can come get the replacement TV at anytime. He said that they'll open up the box so we can inspect it and hopefully we can plug it in as well and see it work before we take it home.

My wife and I are SOOOO relieved and thankful that they agreed to the exchange.

Thank you all for your help!!!

I do have one question, is it okay to transport the TV on it's side in our MDX or should I wait until the weekend and rent a Uhaul van and transport it upright? I don't want to risk breaking it ( it would be my fault this time) and will not get another exchange.

Please let me know what you think. If we do go pick up it, I'll definately sit in the back with the TV while we're transporting it back home while my wife drives and then call my friend over to help me unload it.

Thanks again,
Pranav
post #25 of 51 Old 12-27-2007, 12:46 PM

I wouldn't worry about the return. You said it wouldn't even turn on in the first place, so who cares - as long as you don't introduce more cracks or shatter the screen panel.

Kinda funny - I took delivery of a white leather couch today only to realize that there is a very slight, subtle manufacturer defect on the side where there is 'mis-stitching'. So now I'm going through your pain...albeit a slightly cheaper pain.

post #26 of 51 Old 12-27-2007, 12:54 PM

Given the troubled history with the broken TV I would take NO chances transporting the new TV to your house, I'd rent the van and transport it standing up. Just my $.02.
post #27 of 51 Old 12-27-2007, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks View Post

Standard practice to always inspect package before accepting. Standard.

If they can't come into house, fine. Unpack it outside before accepting. Simple. Done deal.

Lastly, Hughmc is correct. It's a shame not a whole lot of people really understand what 'rights' they have as a credit card holder. The powers you wield are actually quite astronomical versus the retailer. I knew a guy who worked for a department specifically made just for calls for disputing charges. They side with the card holder every single time - the customer is always right, even if they are fraudulous.

Two types of delivery for large tv's:
Curb side - outside of house (can't test)
White Glove - inside, installed, and tested!
post #28 of 51 Old 12-27-2007, 12:56 PM

Whoops, misunderstood the question but reaper puts it rather eloquently. Transport it with the ease of mind - renting a truck should cost no more than $50 anyway.

The TVs are built very rigid and can withstand astronomical handling abuses. My old XS955 was transported on a dolly on its side, banged up step-by-step up 3 flights of stairs because the two fat guys were too lazy to actually carry it, and it was perfectly fine after inspection.

post #29 of 51 Old 12-27-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post

Curb side - outside of house (can't test)
White Glove - inside, installed, and tested!

Curb side delivery - simple: open package, report crack, report that TV has been shipped damaged. Additionally, curb side delivery usually does not require any signature.

Anything with signature usually means you are accepting the package and that "it is free from any S&H damage". As was the case with the OP.

post #30 of 51 Old 12-27-2007, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks View Post

I wouldn't worry about the return. You said it wouldn't even turn on in the first place, so who cares - as long as you don't introduce more cracks or shatter the screen panel.

Sorry Squacks, I wasn't clear on my last post. I don't care about the broken TV that I have right now, I was referring to the new one we pick up from the store.

Is it okay to drive the new one for about 10 miles on it's side? The TV won't fit standing upright, it'll only fit on it's side, either with the screen facing down or up.

I sure as heck don't want to damage the new TV. I'd rather wait a day or two and go rent a uhaul van for $30 or so and be safe.

Edit: Yes, I'll wait a day and go rent a van on this evening or Saturday morning and go up there with a friend and go return it and CAREFULLY bring the new TV home safely. It's worth my piece of mind after all of this.

Thanks again,
Pranav
Please let me know.
Thanks,
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page