Do bulbs in DLP's dim over time? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 32 Old 12-26-2007, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I work in a pizza place part time while finishing grad school. 2.5 years ago when we moved to a new location, we got a new DLP TV and I distinctly remember thinking, "Wow, that TV sure is bright, even in direct sunlight!" Now, the image is very washed out and difficult to see in anything less than near-darkness. It's so bad that there's virtually no point in even turning on the TV before dusk, you just can't see the image.

Some quick calculations reveal the TV has been on for about 12000 - 13000 hours, which is a fair amount. I know DLP bulbs burn out eventually, but can they dim also? I'm hoping that a replacement bulb could be the easy (and relatively) cheap solution.

If you folks don't feel the bulb is the culprit, what else do you think may be the problem?

Thanks,

Mac Hooke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 12-27-2007, 12:14 AM
Advanced Member

Sounds like you are due for a new bulb. They will dim over time and it sounds like at 12-13000 hrs you have gotten your money's worth out of that one.

If you ever fall off the Sears Tower, just go real limp, because maybe you'll look like a dummy and people will try to catch you because, hey, free dummy.
post #3 of 32 Old 12-28-2007, 07:39 AM

wow yeah 12k hours is alot....
post #4 of 32 Old 07-30-2008, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'd like to know what others have noticed on this subject. I know that CRT's dim over time, but I've never noticed light bulbs going dim. My experience is light bulbs are constant until they fail.

Has anyone replaced the bulb in their DLP set, prior to failure, and noticed a material increase in brightness? I thought they were like bulbs in a lamp, am I wrong? Do they really lose brightness prior to failure?
post #5 of 32 Old 07-30-2008, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by egrady View Post

I'd like to know what others have noticed on this subject. I know that CRT's dim over time, but I've never noticed light bulbs going dim. My experience is light bulbs are constant until they fail.

Has anyone replaced the bulb in their DLP set, prior to failure, and noticed a material increase in brightness? I thought they were like bulbs in a lamp, am I wrong? Do they really lose brightness prior to failure?

Yes, I replaced the bulb in our Samsung DLP at 6000 hours prior to failure 2-3 years ago. It had become dim during the preceding months. The picture was so much brighter after the bulb was replaced. The same thing is happening again now with the replaced bulb now at 5500 hours. Its getting dimmer and will need to be replaced again soon.
post #6 of 32 Old 07-30-2008, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In the glorious open countryside of Eastern Ontario.
Yes, it is normal for lamps in micro-displays to go dim. My last one never failed, simply became unwatchable. This one is WAY overdue for replacement. It will be like getting a whole new TV.
post #7 of 32 Old 07-30-2008, 12:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I have a LCD RP and I had the bulb replaced a few months ago (still snow on the ground around here).

Although I see no real difference (which reminds me, I really do need to excecise my DVE HD disc), the repairman did point some yellowing on the old bulb, which he told me was a sign that it was starting to age/dim.

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #8 of 32 Old 07-30-2008, 10:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

My wife seems to have a knack for spotting "dim bulbs" (no wisecracks, now!) in our Mits 65831. She tells me that "The picture seems to be getting dimmer." and a few days later...POOF - there goes the lamp! She is 2/2 now, so I am really disinclined to doubt her. The colors really seem to "pop" once the new lamp goes in. I guess that is one of the benefits of a great calibration, which I did once - when the set was about 90 hours old. I haven't needed to change a thing - except the lamp - since.

As you grease, so shall you slide.
post #9 of 32 Old 07-31-2008, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Sorry to steer off topic, but is there an online vendor that's best for replacement bulbs or is it better to go through the manuf? Referring to a Samsung HL-S5087

X360 games up for trade/$: GTA4, Top Spin 3, Jericho, Dark Sector, RB6: Vegas, Burnout Revenge, Gears of War -- PM me!
post #10 of 32 Old 07-31-2008, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In the glorious open countryside of Eastern Ontario.
I would trust anyone who advertises on this forum, but otherwise I'd stick to a respected brick and mortar store. There's cheap knockoffs out there.
post #11 of 32 Old 08-28-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninthdragon View Post

My wife seems to have a knack for spotting "dim bulbs" (no wisecracks, now!) in our Mits 65831. She tells me that "The picture seems to be getting dimmer." and a few days later...POOF - there goes the lamp! She is 2/2 now, so I am really disinclined to doubt her. The colors really seem to "pop" once the new lamp goes in. I guess that is one of the benefits of a great calibration, which I did once - when the set was about 90 hours old. I haven't needed to change a thing - except the lamp - since.

Finally, people with real answers.

I few months ago the color wheel died in my RCA 44" DLP set. And since that's been replaced, the colors on my TV, seem well, crappy. Almost banding of colors (if that makes sense) I get some green shades in the blacks. Would this be a cause of a dimmed or aged bulb? BTW, the bulb hasn't been replace since I bought the set (March 2005).

Help please.
post #12 of 32 Old 04-06-2013, 08:45 AM

Liked: 11
I am replying to your post about ldp light diming.....yes the do. here latelay I have noticed that my tv has gottin dim, cant see black ops to play. when we first got it it was sweet and bright, best picture I have ever seen. I pulled out the bulb and apparently there is high and low beam in this light bulb type like a car bulb. yes it is an east fix, looked online and amazon has them 40 bucks......omg wanna get black going again. if you play ps3 hit me uppppppp.............pantie_snyper69.
westphoenix likes this.
post #13 of 32 Old 04-09-2013, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 49
rolleyes.gif Don't buy the $40 knock off. I have seen the knock offs die at 500 hrs. Go through the manufacture. I would rather pay $99 through the manu. then by a knock off every few 100 hours.
westphoenix likes this.

Cool Beans.
post #14 of 32 Old 07-15-2013, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Here is a reputable place. You can choose if you want OEM or other choices.
http://www.discount-merchant.com/default.aspx

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
post #15 of 32 Old 07-31-2013, 09:55 PM

I recently replaced a bulb in a Mit WD-52631 because of a dim picture. No improvement! First time I replaced the bulb (4 years ago the bulb had burned out). The picture is still dim! Only thing different is replaced the bulb assembly the first time which included the bulb. This time to save $ I just replaced the bulb.
post #16 of 32 Old 08-01-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Are you sure you didn't mix the lamps up during the swap, and put the old one back in?

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #17 of 32 Old 11-01-2013, 01:34 PM

This DLP lamp / bulb worked, but the picture was dim.

I estimate this bulb had 7,000-8,000 hours on it.

Notice the bulge near the base.

A new lamp fixed the problem.

toshiba_dlp_bulb_dim.jpg
post #18 of 32 Old 11-01-2013, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Glad to see you got it taken care of.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #19 of 32 Old 01-20-2014, 10:03 AM

Liked: 12

I thought I would add my two cents to this discussion.  I just replaced my bulb in a Mitsubishi DLP after about 6 years and conservatively about 7,000 hours and I did notice a big difference. 

Colors are brighter and like someone else said here the pure white background in a Dish network menu area was almost too bright, so I think that there is significant dimming way before the bulb goes out. 

I saved my working old bulb in case there is a bulb emergency because I saw a lot of people had premature burn out with some bulbs.

post #20 of 32 Old 03-01-2014, 08:11 AM

Partially motivated by this thread, I just replaced the bulb in my ~6 year old Samsung HL-T7288W. Wow! It is like I just got a new TV - the difference in brightness is truly astounding. I thought about setting up a camera in manual mode to get before/after shots with the same exposure, I really wish I had done that now - maybe if the mood strikes me I'll swap the bulbs and do it (although I'll feel really dumb if I ended up screwing it up). I guess I'd convinced myself the DLP just seemed dim compared to the newer plasma sets I now have in other rooms (possibly semi-consciously trying to convince myself to replace it), but with the new bulb it is every bit as bright as I'd want it to be.

Replacement was pretty painless. I bought the OEM bulb with housing from discount-merchant linked to above (thanks!), so it's just a few screws and the whole assembly just slides out/in. I had an initial bit of panic because the set was kind of "rebooting" every 30 seconds or so, which I suspect t have been because I gave the lamp assembly a little "tug" to make sure it was tight and then didn't push it back in, so maybe it wasn't completely seated (the fittings for the power connection just press together). I took it apart and reseated it and no trouble after ~30 min.

Anyways, that was well worth the $100; I am kicking myself for not doing it sooner. According to service mode I had 11788 hours on the old bulb. So, I hope the new one does not last as long - in any case I will definitely be replacing it at the recommended 5000-8000 hour interval.
post #21 of 32 Old 03-01-2014, 08:28 AM

New problem, wanted to see if anyone reading had it and solved it. 

Screen blanking out, must turn off and wait then turn on again and then get the green power on light blinking red. 

Must wait longer and then everything ok.  Happened one time before I changed the bulb and twice after (has not happened often since).

Mitsubishi-737-837 Proj TV. 

I googled it and it seems to be a defective heat sensor but I don't know where to find it on the TV. 

Anyone know about this?

post #22 of 32 Old 03-01-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by remmeler View Post

New problem, wanted to see if anyone reading had it and solved it. 
Screen blanking out, must turn off and wait then turn on again and then get the green power on light blinking red. 
Must wait longer and then everything ok.  Happened one time before I changed the bulb and twice after (has not happened often since).
Mitsubishi-737-837 Proj TV. 
I googled it and it seems to be a defective heat sensor but I don't know where to find it on the TV. 
Anyone know about this?

Why you posting that issue on this thread? You should post under that model or start a new thread. Are you replacing the lamps with OEM?
post #23 of 32 Old 03-01-2014, 10:12 AM

People who think they are having bulb problems like I thought, may actually have this other problem which was not fixed by the bulb replacement.  I was hoping to find people with the same problem that had some insight, and I knew this post was active whereas the other posts were not active.  How did I know it?  I knew it because I have been getting email updates on this post.

post #24 of 32 Old 03-01-2014, 10:16 AM

It has nothing to do with my replacing the bulb. It happened before I replaced the bulb and the red blinking light indicated, according to the manual, to replace the bulb and it happened after the bulb was replaced.

post #25 of 32 Old 03-01-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It has nothing to do with my replacing the bulb. It happened before I replaced the bulb and the red blinking light indicated, according to the manual, to replace the bulb and it happened after the bulb was replaced.

Re-read what you posted, and try to find the fallacy in your conclusion...

Again, non-Mitsubishi lamps cause all sorts of problems. You got the red light originally because of a bad lamp. You still have a bad lamp. (Yes, new lamps can be bad, as evidenced by many posts on these forums.) No amount of googling or wishful thinking will change that fact.

As for the temperature problem, if it had that issue, the set would display an overheating warning before shutting down...

" TV will shut down in a few seconds - makes sure air flow is not blocked."

...and it would be two or three models older, as that is when the problem was discovered and fixed by Mitsubishi.

post #26 of 32 Old 03-01-2014, 10:57 AM

Actually your post may be helpful to me.  If you are correct and my original bulb went bad and my new bulb is bad, then I now have two bulbs with which to test that theory and if my new bulb permanently fails or the blackouts get more frequent, then I will replace it with the old bulb until I get another new one.

I can then order a new bulb to replace one of the bulbs with another new one and see if it corrects the problem.  If not, then by that time the original problem may have gotten worse giving me pretty good proof, if I don't have it already that the problem lies elsewhere and I will have two replacement bulbs for the future and one backup.

Unless I get a more useful response, then I will have to stick with yours.  Thank you.

post #27 of 32 Old 03-01-2014, 11:09 AM

Actually I did not give you full complete information.  During the blackout it did not give a solid red led, the led was blinking which according to the manual means an other type of service problem and from goggling if found that it can be identified by the number of blinks before a pause, but I can find no reference to the blink codes.

post #28 of 32 Old 03-01-2014, 11:15 AM

Actually I just found the Mitsubishi Lamp blink codes, although I don't think it helps me because I think, the last time I had a blackout, all blinked red, but I am not sure.  If anyone needs the blink codes here is the YouTube link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INird71KKtA

post #29 of 32 Old 03-01-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:

You're still not answering the question both I and Augerhandle stated concerning the use of non oem lamps. Just because it happened before and after a lamp replacement doesn't mean it's not the lamp, especially if you're using aftermarket lamps.
post #30 of 32 Old 03-01-2014, 02:15 PM

It happened with the original Mitsubishi bulb and I thought it was telling me the the bulb was going to fail so I replaced the bulb and it has only happened two times one with the original bulb and one with the new bulb. 

Both bulbs work.  I thought that the red meant bad bulb, but it has to be constant red as I just found out today.  Blinking red alternating with yellow in a certain sequence means it is diagnosing a certain problem. 

The problem is that I never let it get to give me the whole sequence so I will have to wait for it to happen again.  This conversation started me thinking about it again and caused me to take another look at what happened and search for what I found, the flashing led diagnosis codes which I posted a link to in another reply.  So I will just have to wait until it happens again.

Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page