2008 Samsung DLP's Discussion (HLxxA650/A750) - Page 100 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2971 of 5059 Old 05-12-2008, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
donb1948's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mid-Michigan (Close to the Thumb)
Posts: 1,036
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by prophetizer View Post

doesn't movie mode offer u the warm color settings, and standard only allows normal and cool?

Yes. But, I think Movie mode engages some parameters that can not be changed via neither the service nor user menus. At least, that is the way it was on the HL-Rs. In Standard mode, I should be able to change any of the picture tone values (Normal, Cool1 or Cool2) to Warm1 or Warm2 by changing two values (the xy-points for the white values) in the Service Menu. I'm basing all of this on my experience with the HL-R. However, since there are both similarities and differences between the two service menus, I could be wrong. I'll just have to play with it and see what happens...

don...

Ferengi Five Stages of Acquisition: 1. Infatuation. 2. Justification. 3. Appropriation. 4. Obsession. 5. Resell
donb1948 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2972 of 5059 Old 05-12-2008, 01:29 PM
Senior Member
 
prophetizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by donb1948 View Post

Yes. But, I think Movie mode engages some parameters that can not be changed via neither the service nor user menus. At least, that is the way it was on the HL-Rs. In Standard mode, I should be able to change any of the picture tone values (Normal, Cool1 or Cool2) to Warm1 or Warm2 by changing two values (the xy-points for the white values) in the Service Menu. I'm basing all of this on my experience with the HL-R. However, since there are both similarities and differences between the two service menus, I could be wrong. I'll just have to play with it and see what happens...

thats very interesting, i didn't even consider that with the service menu. right now, i've just used movie, and then calibrated off that for all inputs.

i really think we need to get some sort of calibration thread going for the 7 series in the calibration forum, but i'm the right person to do this and don't want to waste anyone's time. i'm more than happy to help test things though and try and figure things out with others
prophetizer is offline  
post #2973 of 5059 Old 05-12-2008, 01:30 PM
Member
 
RandomHajile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyeox View Post

This will be my first HDTV purchase for my wife and I. We have a HDTV now but it is an old Sony 36' Trinatron. It is taking me over 4 to 5 years to finally get my wife to give me the okay to get one. So I am making sure I don't want to make a wrong one and have my wife regret letting me get one if you know what I mean. From what I saw at BB n CC I like the tv. I know it will be a HUGE difference from the 36 tv we have now. It's just that I was seeing a lot of posts about problems with these models I was just kinda of seconding guessing. Glad to hear that you all enjoyed your purchase.

Well, a few of these problems are inherent in the technology to some extent. Geometry issues could be better, but you have to remember that these TVs are made out of wood in Mexico and shipped in non-climate controlled trucks. They may also sit in a damp warehouse for a week or may get torqued a bit more than, say, an LCD because of the sheer size of the unit. Sure, Sony's RPTVs may have been better about geometry on the whole, but they're not perfect....I have poked my head into their owner's threads and seen some complaints about geometry issues there, as well. Mine is near-perfect, though, so I guess I can't speak for the others.

As far as the restarting problem goes, I had it once, updated the firmware, and haven't seen it since. I don't see the "upper black bar reflection" problem on my set, nor do I see issues with pink shadows. However, I don't go searching out problems like that just to be able to complain about them, so maybe my TV is susceptible to them. I have watched the first Pirates movie (which is 2.35:1), and don't recall seeing the reflection issue. And how often am I going to see a shot of the moon on a completely black background?

IMO, viewing angles are not as bad as what some people have made them out to be. My wife's chair sits off at 45 degrees or more from center, and the picture looks fine to me (and she hasn't complained about it, either). Our stand is a little taller than I would like, so when I'm laying down on the couch, the upper left corner is a bit darker. It's not overwhelming, though.

That's not to say there aren't a couple of things that I would prefer better support for. The PIP is analog cable/antenna only. I'd also like to have seen two separate ATSC inputs, so I could have cable hooked to one and an antenna hooked to the other (our cable system offers Columbus HD channels, but I can pick up Huntington OTA). 5.1 channel HDMI->optical audio passthrough would be nice, but I don't even have a surround sound system hooked up right now.

I guess you have to remember that the ones with the problems will be the most vocal on any forum.
RandomHajile is offline  
post #2974 of 5059 Old 05-12-2008, 01:31 PM
Senior Member
 
prophetizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyeox View Post

Everyday I look at this thread and see new problems popping up with these tv's. Makes me think twice about getting a samsung. Anyone regret buying one of these models?

some of the major problems seemed to be fixed with the firmware update, as far as i can tell the only outstanding issues are with the casing being warped which causes image problems, or the dark specs from being stored improperly on the wrong end. but also, u will see that samsung is very good at getting issues resolved with their customers.

now, i will say, i read this entire thread before going to get my tv, i knew there were some issues, but nothing that couldn't be fixed with a tech or replacement. for the price/size/picture quality, i don't see anything better.
prophetizer is offline  
post #2975 of 5059 Old 05-12-2008, 01:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Chodite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 451
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry if it's been covered already, but the BRIGHTNESS option doesn't play as large of a role as the "LED CONTROL" option does when it comes to overall brightness. Check it out next time.

EDIT: And to all the guys playing with this TV in the store, make sure to go into the picture settings and bump up LED CONTROL to at least High before playing with any other settings!! Doing this, along with playing with the HDMI Black Level settings & with some other settings, you can get some serious BLACKS and one amazing freakin picture (this coming from a plasma guy)

XBL:  B Klip

PSN:  Chodite

Chodite is offline  
post #2976 of 5059 Old 05-12-2008, 03:58 PM
Member
 
Turbolader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've thrown in the towel and decided I have absolutely no way to gauge black level on the 61A750 in advance of purchasing it. I've seen it at Fry's, HHgregg, BB, CC on multiple occasions and showing a variety of programming material and under a wide range of showroom lighting circumstances. In fact, at Fry's it is positioned right next to last year's LED set, and on one visit it seemed *slightly* darker than the predecessor, yet the next wk it appeared to give plasma grade blacks. I've played with LED control ("auto, high, low" etc.), brightness, dynamic contrast, etc. I've read reviews of the previous generation LED model, and where Hometheater Mag ranked it among the worst HDTV's for black level, CNET said that it produced a "deep shade" of black.

Can there be that much variation, unit to unit?
Turbolader is offline  
post #2977 of 5059 Old 05-12-2008, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sjchmura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 1,764
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I know - this is hard. I am really debating between the 3 gorgeous sets.
1. Mits 65" 2008 or 73"
2. Samsung 67A750

I plan to sit (with recliner) between 6 adn 8 feet away to get the THX like experience - this works even will with my first gen HP 65" DLP ((being sold, long story)

So for SURE in EVERY STORE the black and WHITE on the Mits looks amazing - even in the blow out cc lights. However, some of the LED looks great, other times the 61A750 looks like crapola..

The 65" Mits is $1750 from a very reputable local retailor if you "ask them" that also ships oline (I live in chicago land so you cna guess) and the 67" LED is $500 more.... unknown on the 73".

Anyone with suggestions for using it for XBOX360/Vista MCE/Computer Monitor/HDTV and sitting quite CLOSE which would be better - LED or bulb?
sjchmura is offline  
post #2978 of 5059 Old 05-12-2008, 04:25 PM
Senior Member
 
cstrasz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well, I got my tv stand today. It's the samsung stand made for their 72" sets but it is just a hair wider than the 67" set so I'll be getting that built tonight. I'll take some pics if anyone cares to see it although it will probably be nicer to see pics once the set is on it Gotta get it ready and hope that the set comes in this week. Anyone know how long it typically takes to get hdtv's from crutchfield?

Separate note, does the 67" have any advantage with its larger size in addressing geometry issues or would a larger set be more prominent to have bowing versus smaller sets?
cstrasz is offline  
post #2979 of 5059 Old 05-12-2008, 05:36 PM
Member
 
xbr4pixels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyeox View Post

Everyday I look at this thread and see new problems popping up with these tv's. Makes me think twice about getting a samsung. Anyone regret buying one of these models?

Hell ya i did thats why i returned it they all bow just some are worse then others and samsung cannot fix bowing.Only tilt can be adjusted.
xbr4pixels is offline  
post #2980 of 5059 Old 05-12-2008, 05:44 PM
Member
 
xbr4pixels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstrasz View Post

Well, I got my tv stand today. It's the samsung stand made for their 72" sets but it is just a hair wider than the 67" set so I'll be getting that built tonight. I'll take some pics if anyone cares to see it although it will probably be nicer to see pics once the set is on it Gotta get it ready and hope that the set comes in this week. Anyone know how long it typically takes to get hdtv's from crutchfield?

Separate note, does the 67" have any advantage with its larger size in addressing geometry issues or would a larger set be more prominent to have bowing versus smaller sets?

The larger the screen then the more that slim flimsey cabinet would be bowing at least thats what would make sense unless of course they revamp/redesigned the 67 to be sturdy.Like im sure the 50 bowing is much less then the 61.Less screen to go from left to right gives less for middle to bow.
xbr4pixels is offline  
post #2981 of 5059 Old 05-12-2008, 06:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Jamers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does the HL50A650 have a firmware update out? What is the latest firmware on the 650 series? Would it differ depending on screen size?
Jamers is offline  
post #2982 of 5059 Old 05-12-2008, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
mike_pro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 710
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura View Post

I know - this is hard. I am really debating between the 3 gorgeous sets.
1. Mits 65" 2008 or 73"
2. Samsung 67A750

I plan to sit (with recliner) between 6 adn 8 feet away to get the THX like experience - this works even will with my first gen HP 65" DLP ((being sold, long story)

So for SURE in EVERY STORE the black and WHITE on the Mits looks amazing - even in the blow out cc lights. However, some of the LED looks great, other times the 61A750 looks like crapola..

The 65" Mits is $1750 from a very reputable local retailor if you "ask them" that also ships oline (I live in chicago land so you cna guess) and the 67" LED is $500 more.... unknown on the 73".

Anyone with suggestions for using it for XBOX360/Vista MCE/Computer Monitor/HDTV and sitting quite CLOSE which would be better - LED or bulb?

I checked out the Mitsu at CC over the weekend, which has a nice viewing room for these sets. I must say, it presents VERY well in the store. Very good picture and color. Their default settings look MUCH better than the Samsung in "store" mode, (Dynamic, everything cranked up). However, I know from having my 61A750 at home that it can produce an awesome picture. I also felt the case was much sturdier on the Mitsu. Since the case isn't supporting any weight, or the TV being regularly lifted, not too big of a deal, except that perhaps it means the mitsu will be less susceptible to geometry problems. However, I have no geometry problems with my Samsung, so....

Now, the 4" bigger Mitsu is also available at an awesome price, about the same as the 61" LED. I really did consider exchanging my set, but I ended up keeping the Samsung, and here is why:

- I liked the fact that the Samsung has LED. This gives me a quieter set, which is huge for me. I REALLY hated the fan and colorwheel noise on my old set. Since you are sitting close, that might be very important for you to consider. Also, the LED has lower power usage, (it's nice to be green), almost instant on and brightness, and long life. I feel it will provide a more consistent picture over time.
- The Samsung has much more picture adjustment options. (which complication could be a negative for some)
- The Samsung has 120Hz processing, so can do judder free 24fps film source display.
- I may never use the 3D feature, but if it ever becomes popular it will be wicked cool.
- The picture on both seemed quite close to me. One might be somewhat better than the other, but they are close.
- I already had it and it wasn't worth the pain to exchange.

I know what you mean by the Sammy looking good sometimes, and bad others. But, have no fear, it does look great in your home.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Service menu tweak info in
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


- Mike.
mike_pro is offline  
post #2983 of 5059 Old 05-12-2008, 06:42 PM
Member
 
slamduncan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone have any info for when available in Canada ? I emailed Samsung and all I got was 'probably this summer' and 'Purchasing in USA we will not warranty it here'

i've been waiting SOOOO long

aside: it saddens me to go into most stores now and there aren't even any tv's over 50 inches..
slamduncan is offline  
post #2984 of 5059 Old 05-12-2008, 06:50 PM
Newbie
 
ChadHendrickson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Illnois
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The HL61A750 uses LED technology and does not have a color wheel...

So then why am I seeing the dreaded "rainbow effect" when I view it?

Does anyone else see it?
ChadHendrickson is offline  
post #2985 of 5059 Old 05-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Senior Member
 
cstrasz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadHendrickson View Post

The HL61A750 uses LED technology and does not have a color wheel...

So then why am I seeing the dreaded "rainbow effect" when I view it?

Does anyone else see it?

LED does not guarantee the lack of the rainbow effect, it just minimizes it further to the majority of users. Some people are still susceptible unfortunately.
cstrasz is offline  
post #2986 of 5059 Old 05-12-2008, 07:04 PM
Senior Member
 
golferbradbest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
i could see rainbows with my my 3 year old 61 inch bulb dlp but have never seen a one with my 61 inchl a750 led dlp!
golferbradbest is offline  
post #2987 of 5059 Old 05-12-2008, 07:12 PM
Newbie
 
tomanik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamduncan View Post

Anyone have any info for when available in Canada ? I emailed Samsung and all I got was 'probably this summer' and 'Purchasing in USA we will not warranty it here'

i've been waiting SOOOO long

aside: it saddens me to go into most stores now and there aren't even any tv's over 50 inches..

The Samsung Canada order sheet at Direct Buy listed May availability for the 67". I've ordered and have an estimated ship delivery date of June 21st, guess we'll see when it actually shows up
tomanik is offline  
post #2988 of 5059 Old 05-12-2008, 07:28 PM
Member
 
slamduncan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you tomanik.. that's encouraging ! Correct me if I'm wrong, but is DirectBuy a place where you need a membership ? If so can you enlighten me on the committment with getting a membership ? ie. is it feasible to join just for this purchase ?

Now I'm excited..
slamduncan is offline  
post #2989 of 5059 Old 05-12-2008, 07:30 PM
Member
 
Mookeylama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
what exactly is the 3D feature these sets have? do ya need glasses.
Mookeylama is offline  
post #2990 of 5059 Old 05-12-2008, 07:37 PM
Newbie
 
FoeHammer117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamduncan View Post

Thank you tomanik.. that's encouraging ! Correct me if I'm wrong, but is DirectBuy a place where you need a membership ? If so can you enlighten me on the commitment with getting a membership ? ie. is it feasible to join just for this purchase ?

Now I'm excited..

Well, my DirectBuy membership was north of $4,000, so, for just this tv, I'd say no, but for all the money I saved buying wood for the floors in my new house, the membership paid for itself many times over just on that purchase. Probably saved about $10,000 on that alone.

Definitely need to look at this membership as a longer term/multiple-buy thing.
FoeHammer117 is offline  
post #2991 of 5059 Old 05-12-2008, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
vfrjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: West Warwick, RI
Posts: 4,479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
DirectBuy=ripoff

Support C-band, the only true satellite signal,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vfrjim is offline  
post #2992 of 5059 Old 05-12-2008, 08:33 PM
Senior Member
 
wopino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NorCAL
Posts: 383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvindd View Post

Samsung will work with you to get any problems fixed, positive customer experience for me.
I had a HLT6189 TV(bad LED engine) exchanged for the 61A750.

The 61A750 TV is a pleasure to have.
After 100 hours of viewing, I will have a professional calibration done.

same here and i love my 61a750!!
wopino is offline  
post #2993 of 5059 Old 05-12-2008, 08:50 PM
Member
 
Mookeylama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
what's the 3D feature? is this something that can be used now or only in the future?

and does the HL56 have LED or is that just the bigger ones? thanks
Mookeylama is offline  
post #2994 of 5059 Old 05-12-2008, 09:09 PM
Member
 
JPOnion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know price is taboo, but I've been seeing it talked about in this thread already, so forgive me for keeping it going...but where are you guys finding it for so cheap? I went to BB, CC, Sears...it's all the same price, more than I've been seeing you guys mention by a few hundred. Amazon is the only place close to the numbers I've been seeing, but their white glove delivery service only delivers mon-fri 8am-5pm, the exact times I'm at work and unavailable.

Did I just miss a sale or something, or did the price really just go up within the last few days?

I was planning on getting the Sony KDS-55A3000, but after watching a 55inch at the distance I'll be viewing it at (8 - 12ft), it felt too small...and the 60inch is completely unavailable in my area. This model looks to be the next best, considering it's LED, 3D ready (I hope I'll actually be able to use it) and I've heard it has kick ass PQ (the display models I messed with were nice, but not as "wow" as a couple of the other models...but I know thats display settings, and the poor quality video loop they had playing). If I can find it + warrenty for a good price soon, and someplace that delivers when I'm home, I think I'm going to be all over this.

EDIT: How does SD video look on this set? All the demo displays I've seen have HD video playing, I can't really tell how SD stuff will look...and I'll probably be watching a bit of that.
JPOnion is offline  
post #2995 of 5059 Old 05-12-2008, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
turls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Central IL
Posts: 4,616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookeylama View Post

what exactly is the 3D feature these sets have? do ya need glasses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookeylama View Post

what's the 3D feature? is this something that can be used now or only in the future?

and does the HL56 have LED or is that just the bigger ones? thanks

Alright already :

http://www.dlp.com/hdtv/3-d_dlp_hdtv.aspx

And your other question is answered in the first post of the thread--LED only at 61" and 67". If you want smaller, get last years models.

Matt
turls is offline  
post #2996 of 5059 Old 05-12-2008, 11:24 PM
Member
 
xbr4pixels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPOnion View Post

I know price is taboo, but I've been seeing it talked about in this thread already, so forgive me for keeping it going...but where are you guys finding it for so cheap? I went to BB, CC, Sears...it's all the same price, more than I've been seeing you guys mention by a few hundred. Amazon is the only place close to the numbers I've been seeing, but their white glove delivery service only delivers mon-fri 8am-5pm, the exact times I'm at work and unavailable.

Did I just miss a sale or something, or did the price really just go up within the last few days?

I was planning on getting the Sony KDS-55A3000, but after watching a 55inch at the distance I'll be viewing it at (8 - 12ft), it felt too small...and the 60inch is completely unavailable in my area. This model looks to be the next best, considering it's LED, 3D ready (I hope I'll actually be able to use it) and I've heard it has kick ass PQ (the display models I messed with were nice, but not as "wow" as a couple of the other models...but I know thats display settings, and the poor quality video loop they had playing). If I can find it + warrenty for a good price soon, and someplace that delivers when I'm home, I think I'm going to be all over this.

EDIT: How does SD video look on this set? All the demo displays I've seen have HD video playing, I can't really tell how SD stuff will look...and I'll probably be watching a bit of that.

Its up to you but the kdsxxa3000 is a great tv.It sells now for $1000.00 and up above retail lately on ebay.I got a mint like brandnew 60 in CC for only 1450 and saw one sold for almost 3k on ebay.So if you can grab a like new display model at CC or BB get it.The 60 was only $1,445.00 for me at CC.Im not trying to bash the samsung its just my opinon picture wise but the samsung bowing was very annoying for me.
xbr4pixels is offline  
post #2997 of 5059 Old 05-13-2008, 05:18 AM
Member
 
Kevin Rohrer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Medina, Ohio USA
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyeox View Post

Everyday I look at this thread and see new problems popping up with these tv's. Makes me think twice about getting a samsung. Anyone regret buying one of these models?

I have had 61" 750 for a month or so and am in love with it. The picture is twice as detailed and more than three times as bright as the Mitsubishi DLP it replaced. In fact, the picture is so bright, I had to dial it down several notches, even in my bright family room where it sets. All these messages about it not being as bright as XXXX is a much of crap.

I am slowly rewatching all my Blu-Ray DVDs. The Spiderman trilogy looks so good I feel like I am actually watching the real thing. Yes, the TV did reset it self once and I will eventually do a firmware update, but it can wait.

My favorite feature is the ability to reset the picture size on the fly when going from HD to SD content. Very nice.

Eventually I will invest in a professional calibration, but the picture is great even without it. I give this TV:

Official OPPO BDP-83 Early Adopter--and happy I did!
I am an SVS Subhuman.
Kevin Rohrer is offline  
post #2998 of 5059 Old 05-13-2008, 05:39 AM
Member
 
VinnieVol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstrasz View Post

Well, I got my tv stand today. It's the samsung stand made for their 72" sets but it is just a hair wider than the 67" set so I'll be getting that built tonight. I'll take some pics if anyone cares to see it although it will probably be nicer to see pics once the set is on it Gotta get it ready and hope that the set comes in this week. Anyone know how long it typically takes to get hdtv's from crutchfield?

Separate note, does the 67" have any advantage with its larger size in addressing geometry issues or would a larger set be more prominent to have bowing versus smaller sets?

I'm interested in a similar setup to what you have... my goal is to have the 67" and that same samsung stand.. so I'm def. interested in any pics you might take.
My wife is concerned that the 61" will be better suited for us, and the 67" is too big... but I don't think so. What is your viewing distance going to be, approx.?
VinnieVol is offline  
post #2999 of 5059 Old 05-13-2008, 05:52 AM
Member
 
Zyeox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for all your posts everyone. Made me feel better about my choice. I am gonna grab the HL61A750.

Anyone have this TV hooked up to thier PC? I am looking at weather or not I should go to DVI to HDMI or DVI to VGA with the tv. Also I am confused on how the hell am I am gonna get the sound to my reciever I have a pretty old one. I will be updating my sound system later this year but as for now I will stick with what I have now. What I was gonna do was go 3.5mm to RCA jacks to my reciever. I was looking at monoprice for my cables.

Would these be okay if I use the 3.55 to RCA.

Will use this cable to split from my sound card.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I have to use this to go from the connector above to the reciever.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Zyeox is offline  
post #3000 of 5059 Old 05-13-2008, 06:03 AM
Member
 
Turbolader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question for A750 owners: When you have LED control set to "auto" is the TV monitoring ambient lighting, like some current Sharp and LG LCD's, or is it riding the incoming video signal to rapidly adjust brightness, like the dynamic iris function in Sony, JVC, etc., projector TV's?

I downloaded the user guide, but it does not describe how the function works.
Turbolader is offline  
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off