Old 05-21-2008, 04:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknomedic View Post

At any rate... I've returned my 61" set. BB had to order the 67" so I'll be without a TV for a few days but it's worth the extra size plus and chance at have far less issues with images displayed. Crossing my fingers.

I checked out several of the smaller sets and compared to the 61 inch sets they had much better convergence. My guess is from the decreased angles required by the smaller screen. So I'll be interesting to find out if the 67 inch sets follow the trend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2008, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATman94 View Post

I've read hear and elsewhere that TI does not allow manufacturers to inform the consumers which chip (e.g. DC3 or DC4) is in their units. Isn't this like Dell not telling you what CPU is in the very expensive PC you are about to purchase? If a component provides significant qualitative improvement, shouldn't we be able to know this before we buy a very expensive TV?

From the Mitsubishi press release on their new DLP models:
The UHP-lamp-based DLP line will include three series this year including the 735, 736 and 835 series. All offer 1080p HDTV resolution, Texas Instruments' new Dark Chip 4 digital micromirror device, an improved five-color wheel, thinner frames, increased brightness, HDMI-CEC control and 3-D-ready capability.

It seems there isn't a problem advertising the new chip if the product actually has it.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWL View Post

In case you're wondering...

build date : 2008-05-21 DLP TV HL 750 series Firmware

This firmware will correct the following phenomenons some units may experience.
-. Intermittent Auto Power Off and On
-. Intermittent Video drop out when connecting the component source
-. SRS Trusurround Setting Reset

The firmware will be updated to the following version.
-. HL**A750A1F : 1005.3

So far so good. I've played about an hour of GTA4 on my Xbox 360 over component at 1080p and the screen has not blanked out. Previouly it would do it so often it made the game unplayable and I've been using 1080i instead. If I run into any problems I'll report back.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels55 View Post

The AMAZON is a big river isn't it - hahaha, come on people!!!

LMAO! I kept thinking the Mississippi River =) I was like what the... I did think about the Nile, but was like no... then I thought about maybe something to do with Oceans...

I completely didn't think of Amazon, lolol.

To bad they sold out and now they are charging shipping on the 61/750, I'm 2 weeks away from jumping but need to wait until I move into my new place.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post

No on the 2 RF inputs AFAIK. What reviews? There haven't been reviews on the new sets yet. If you are looking at last years sets reviews don't rely on them. I've had my set for almost 2 months, great blacks, and no hint of hot spot.

What geometry issue? The same geometry issues crap-shoot on Sammy DLP since day 1, if you are just talking general geometry issues.

Reviews from CNet, Home Theater, Perfect Vision for starters. Yes, it was last years sets, but has anything really changed in the design? is the screen different? Are the LED's brighter? Have they done something about the grey blacks?

All the reviews I have read blasted these LED sets big time. This isn't just one review, or one person. Actually one review had a shoot out and compared sets side by side (the superior test) and reported those findings.

Regarding geometry issues, this is what I have seen posted in this thread more than once. No idea what they were talking about.

I'm just asking, don't shoot the messenger.
BTW, if you never had another HD set, my questions are moot since you have nothing to compare it to.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Really stupid removing the 2nd RF input. Samsung has joined the crowd to save a few pennies.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:11 PM

I moved from a $4k 56" HLN to the <$1900 61" LED A750.

This set is just as bright and offers a better picture than the older lamp model. Yes, the LED is improved over last year's models.

I see no hot spots on this set. I have very minimal geometry issue (have to stare at a grid pattern to find any issue). This was my first set...the only thing I might send it back for is a 67" if the price point warrants a trade-up.

If you don't need or care about hanging your set on a wall (altho some are proposing to do just that w/ these 14-16" deep sets), then I would very much recommend DLP as a very viable alternative to any other tech out there today.

Cost per diagonal inch simply can't be touched, the picture quality is tremendous at the price point and the issues are, in my opinion, minimal...assuming you don't have any glaring geometry issues. Just buy from a good dealer who will exchange your set if you are not satisfied.

You generally can't walk into B&M stores and do a good side-by-side. Those shops are generally not setup to show you anything but torch mode w/ crappy signals. And as was said earlier, don't take last years tech reviews assume nothing has changed.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_HiFi View Post

Big River put it at $2299.
If you check Samsung website in description it is listed at $2299 MSRP as well.
Good news.

Back up to $2999 on Big River today. Should have ordered one yesterday I guess. Oh well.

But then again Sammie's site still says $2299.99
Old 05-21-2008, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

BTW, if you never had another HD set, my questions are moot since you have nothing to compare it to.

FWIW, My 61A750 replaced a 50XBR800 (Sony Grand Wega XBR) LCD/RP. This TV is better in almost every way. The blacks are much blacker, the screen has less glare, it's a lot brighter, it's bigger, has more accurate color, no bulb to replace, and cost less than 1/2 the price that TV did five years ago. I'm sure there are better TVs out there, but I couldn't find another I liked better at this price/value.

Also, I played my Xbox 360 for hours tonight on 1080p over component and had no issues. I believe it has been fixed with today's firmware release.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknomedic View Post

I was asking about the 67" set... not the 61" set. I own the 61" and know very well the issues it has... that's why I was asking the 67" owners if they were having any of the 61" issues.

At any rate... I've returned my 61" set. BB had to order the 67" so I'll be without a TV for a few days but it's worth the extra size plus and chance at have far less issues with images displayed. Crossing my fingers.

Let us know what you think of the HL67A750 when you get it.

Oppo Beta Group
Old 05-22-2008, 12:46 AM

Amazon just lowered the price on the 67" I bet a month after release we see $1800 - $2200

http://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B001413DWQ
Old 05-22-2008, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong View Post

Niiice. I'm considering the 61" set and might go w/ IKEA for a stand also -- though I won't be going for a full blown wide unit like yours since I need to flank it w/ a pair of heavy duty floor standing speakers that would be way too hefty for that.

Anyway, which IKEA parts did you use?

Thanks.

_Man_

All the drawers and parts are from the "Besta" line of cabinets, etc. The stand is made of three, 2 drawer cabinets in a pyramid.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullman View Post

So far so good. I've played about an hour of GTA4 on my Xbox 360 over component at 1080p and the screen has not blanked out. Previouly it would do it so often it made the game unplayable and I've been using 1080i instead. If I run into any problems I'll report back.

Awesome to hear! This is the one thing that was holding me back from purchasing this TV since my 360 doesn't have HDMI out. I have to say that I am VERY impressed with the speediness at which Samsung has addressed the common issues with this TV (i.e. auto shutdown and screen blanking). Their quickness to fix these issues only reaffirms my faith in Samsung and makes it much easier to purchase this TV without worrying.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyboy View Post

The UHP-lamp-based DLP line will include three series this year including the 735, 736 and 835 series. All offer 1080p HDTV resolution, Texas Instruments’ new Dark Chip 4 digital micromirror device, an improved five-color wheel, thinner frames, increased brightness, HDMI-CEC control and 3-D-ready capability.

It seems there isn't a problem advertising the new chip if the product actually has it.

Or maybe Samsung follows the rules and others don't? This was already posted in this thread by the way. Doesn't change anything on whether it is DC4 or not. Nobody knows for sure. I agree is sucks that we can't get a straight answer, but I don't see many people watching the price drop like a rock and saying--if only I knew it had DC4. . .

Good luck getting laser tech for anything close to Sammy prices by the way, bulb might be a different story.

Matt
Old 05-22-2008, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Reviews from CNet, Home Theater, Perfect Vision for starters. Yes, it was last years sets, but has anything really changed in the design? is the screen different? Are the LED's brighter? Have they done something about the grey blacks?

For starters a newer LED engine, possibly a different DLP chip. The majority opinion here, just from memory, is the new sets look better.

And yes I've followed DLP tech since owning a HLM I bought in late 2002. Is it noticably better than a bulb set from 2 years ago, I can't say since I didn't thave one in my house. It absolutely blows away my HLN-upgraded HLM.

The people in this thread that have measured contrast using real tools have said it is great, Eliab posted on his forum (paraphrasing) that this was a great TV. He's probably seen more than anybody.

Matt
Old 05-22-2008, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Hey matt, do you have a link to Eliab's forum?

Thanks

Dave

Old 05-22-2008, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonesilent View Post

Amazon just lowered the price on the 67" I bet a month after release we see $1800 - $2200

http://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B001413DWQ

They are already that low for the 67" model at Tweeter.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:

For starters a newer LED engine, possibly a different DLP chip.

The service manual says the DLP chip in the HLT6189S, HL61A750, & HL67A750 is the same: xHD5 (search AVS for more info on it).

However, the "image enhancer" IC is new in the new models. Maybe better scaling/deinterlacing? Maybe lower cost? Maybe they stopped making the previous IC? The new IC is referred to as "BAYHILL+". I googled it and found a cached version of some engineer's resume, here, that said:

1. High-end one chip solution for HDTV and Set-Top-Box (Bayhill+) Aug. 2005 - Jul. 2006
* Around 20 Mil gate count with Samsung 90nm process technology
* MPEG video decoder, 266MHz DDR II SDRAM interface, and bus architecture using Sonics solution

Old 05-22-2008, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quick question... Amazon shows the yet-to-be-released Samsung HL72A650 72-inch 1080p Slim DLP HDTV as an LED model????? Is this true????

Better to want what you don't have, than to have what you don't want!

Old 05-22-2008, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaseman View Post

Quick question... Amazon shows the yet-to-be-released Samsung HL72A650 72-inch 1080p Slim DLP HDTV as an LED model????? Is this true????

No, 650s are lamp, 750s are LED.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post

Hey matt, do you have a link to Eliab's forum?

Thanks

I'm just going what off what another poster that has access to the forum said. The forum is private for his customers AFAIK.

Matt
Old 05-22-2008, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

First time I've seen that posted here on any specifics from the service manual. That stinks. I'm not ruling out somebody not changing the template from last year or a misprint, but this is the most evidence we've had yet I think. . . as I've said before if there is no DC4 kind of boggles my mind that Samsung is supposedly using this as a make or break year for RPTV DLP and don't even put their best foot forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenZ View Post

The service manual says the DLP chip in the HLT6189S, HL61A750, & HL67A750 is the same: xHD5 (search AVS for more info on it).

Matt
Old 05-22-2008, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post

No, 650s are lamp, 750s are LED.

Yes, I know that. Why then is Amazon saying it is an LED? Are they that stupid?

Better to want what you don't have, than to have what you don't want!

Old 05-22-2008, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenZ View Post

However, the "image enhancer" IC is new in the new models. Maybe better scaling/deinterlacing? Maybe lower cost? Maybe they stopped making the previous IC? The new IC is referred to as "BAYHILL+". I googled it and found a cached version of some engineer's resume, here, that said:

1. High-end one chip solution for HDTV and Set-Top-Box (Bayhill+) Aug. 2005 - Jul. 2006
* Around 20 Mil gate count with Samsung 90nm process technology
* MPEG video decoder, 266MHz DDR II SDRAM interface, and bus architecture using Sonics solution

Hmmm.. interesting information, and the most concrete evidence that it is NOT the new Darkchip 4. I'll have to add this to the FAQ.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Really stupid removing the 2nd RF input. Samsung has joined the crowd to save a few pennies.

what is the real value in having 2 RF inputs?
I think most people that use cable dont use air and vice versa.

If your TV supports PIP then I can see the value, but I really dont see much value in PIP either.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Or maybe Samsung follows the rules and others don't?

rules? others? huh?

Its like ATI producing a new GPU called the HD3880 but telling all the OEMs they have to market it under the HD3870 name... makes no sense.

Consumers want new and better. Why would I buy a DC3 TV when I could get a DC4 TV for the same price?
Old 05-22-2008, 11:22 AM

I think you may be correct. Marantz's DLP projectors (way out of my price range) specify DC4 also. So, the Sammy 750 series are likely the DC3 despite all the speculation. Given this and the repeated posts about geometry issues, I may be calling off my jump for a few months.

Samsung, if you're listening....tell us when the LED DLPs get the new DC4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyboy View Post

The UHP-lamp-based DLP line will include three series this year including the 735, 736 and 835 series. All offer 1080p HDTV resolution, Texas Instruments' new Dark Chip 4 digital micromirror device, an improved five-color wheel, thinner frames, increased brightness, HDMI-CEC control and 3-D-ready capability.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

what is the real value in having 2 RF inputs?
I think most people that use cable dont use air and vice versa.

Sounds as you work for the Asian marketing departments.

1. Why have TWO tuners and only one input??
2. You can only use one or the other, not both since none of these sets have two sets of memories. You change modes and do a re-scan, you loose all your channels in the other mode.
3. Cost is very little.
But, mostly:

4. Not all OTA stations are carried on cable TV.
I double the number of digital stations using OTA then what I receive on cable.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:30 AM

Given that LaserVue will be likely out of my price range, and it now appears that the HL61A750 and HL67A750 are only using the DC3 chip, can anyone point me to a good comparison between the HL61A750 vs. a 52'' XBR4 (which reportedly is not without its own issues)--screen size excluded of course? If money wasn't an object between the two, would HL61A750 owners have gone with the XBR4 (taking into consideration which forum I am posting this)?

Too many choices! Too many decisions--why can't they just go back to BW CRTs! ;-)
Old 05-22-2008, 12:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 222
Quote:

1. Why have TWO tuners and only one input??

With the DVR penetration rate rising (some markets are over 25%) I wouldn't be surprised if before long sets start coming without any RF inputs. Personally I haven't used any set without a DVR since 2000.