2008 Samsung DLP's Discussion (HLxxA650/A750) - Page 116 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3451 of 5059 Old 05-23-2008, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm expecting delivery later today of my 61A750. This TV is replacing my beloved Hitachi 57S500 that I really love and hate to sell, but we're having a new entertainment center built into an 8' niche in the wall and I did not want to build around the big box Hitachi. I want to be able to make use of the space below the television, since the niche is going to cost almost 3X what the TV is costing!!!

Since I have not spec'd out the height of the TV yet, I'm wondering how high to make it. I've played around with a tape measure, and it looks like 22" off the floor would put the screen slightly higher than the Hitachi. I'm estimating (because I don't have the TV yet) that mid screen will be about 44" off the floor.(with the TV shelf at 22") My Hitachi mid-screen height is around 40" off the floor. I'm wondering if this extra 4" up will be too high for viewing from 12' away. It will definitely be nicer for viewing from across the room.

This is in a large 22' X 25' great room, with the kitchen behind the family room. Seating area for the TV is about 12' away. So from the kitchen, you'd be looking beyond the sofa to the TV on the other side of the room, 20' away. I'm leaning towards having the TV a little high for viewing from the kitchen area. If I put the base of the TV at 22" off the floor, the middle of the screen on the 61A750 will be probably 6" higher than the middle of the Hitachi RPTV. I never noticed a problem with dimming of the picture on the Hitachi (high to low), but I believe the DLP may be more noticable, high to low. I read that on the last model Samsung, dimming was more noticable when you looked down on the TV versus looking up. I'd apprecaite any input you folks have on this.

Thanks
Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3452 of 5059 Old 05-23-2008, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

We currently own Samsung HLN507W, which the wife agrees we will replace before the end of the year. We are primarily looking at LCDs, but every so often the wife asks why we don't consider another DLP since we have been happy with the one we've had for almost 5 years and we could save a few bucks. So I always take a quick look to see what is up with the new DLPs.

Last year's Sammy DLPs were terrible. Maybe they were rated 1080p, but I wouldn't have traded my current Sammy DLP for any of them. My wife was shocked when she saw them. I saw some Series 6 units about a month ago and was impressed with the improvement in PQ and horizontal viewing angle over the 2007 models. Today, while on my way out of a CC store, I spotted the first Series 7 model that I've seen.

So what was my reaction, disappointment. While it definitely has a brighter and sharper picture than its predecessors, this LED DLP pales in basic video sharpness, depth of color, and viewing angle to the Series 6. No way would I replace my current Sammy with this model, it isn't as enjoyable to watch. Now I would consider a Series 6 based on PQ, since it would be equal to or better than my current Sammy; however, the comments on this thread about bowing issues certainly discourage that.

The CC store where I saw the Series 7 had a Mitsu (don't remember the model number) next to it and a Series 6 next to the Mitsu. Walking from the Series 7 to the Mitsu and then to the Series 6 was a progression of PQ and viewing angle, with the Series 6 the best and the Mitsu second. The Series 7 just has that dull soupy color look to it without any "pop" and what color sharpness it has fades badly once you move about 30 degrees off center (no I didn't use a protractor, but I'm an ME with a PE, so I have some sense of angular measurement via visual inspection). The Series 6 PQ and viewing angle were very good and, but for the cabinet and picture distortion problem, would probably be on my replacement candidate list.

BTW, I'm not one of those who thinks he sees rainbows and I don't know anyone who has ever seen a rainbow with my current Sammy. I also don't have an issue with the lamp replacement in DLPs. I replaced my first lamp at about 7000 hours because we thought it was failing. It wasn't, it was a video board problem, so I still have that lamp as a backup. The second lamp is still going strong at over 9000 hours. Total investment in lamps for almost 17,000 hours of use is about $200. No big deal.

If I thought the bowing and distortion problems would be fixed by late in the year, I'd really consider the Series 6, but I think that Samsung is suffering the unintended consequences of trying to get the slimmest and lightest DLP on the market.
post #3453 of 5059 Old 05-23-2008, 03:13 PM

Quick question: Does big river have a price guarentee? I'm just wondering if the price drops on their site in a few weeks if I'll be able to get the difference.
post #3454 of 5059 Old 05-23-2008, 03:30 PM

Liked: 11
CEB II, I couldn't disagree you more. I too went from HLN567W to an 61A750. I too have 5 years of viewing under the old lamp model. My lamp is still going at 10k hours, but I had to replace (under warranty fortunately) the light engine twice.

Aside from that, i was concerned going from lamp to LED due to large windows where this set resides. It's a non-issue. The LED is plenty bright. LOST episodes have never looked so crisp, colorful and "wow" than what I first felt moving to the original 56". Blue Ray via PS3 is awesome, altho I've got limited # of viewings thru BD.

I got 6" more diagonal (you'd get 11" more!), slimmer, less lbs, no lamp, 3 HDMI's, 3D, less noise, less power consumption, etc. etc. for 1/2 the price of the HLN. Unless you think you're going to be moving this set around frequently, the frame is minimal issue.

Guys, you simply can't walk into BB and/or CC and assume you are seeing what these sets are capable of doing. You can't. Take one home under "buy it, try it". I bet you keep it. I dare ya'.
post #3455 of 5059 Old 05-23-2008, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Not to hijack Samsung thread, but quick google search turns up cheaper wd65736:

http://www.preferredphoto.com/viewpr...8032&l=Froogle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipnotiq View Post

Their step-up model is listed at $1500...take a look: http://www.us-appliance.com/wd65736.html

seperating teh gap even more

post #3456 of 5059 Old 05-23-2008, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
[quote=jayquinty;13934062]..I'm expecting delivery later today of my 61A750. Since I have not spec'd out the height of the TV yet, I'm wondering how high to make it... I'd apprecaite any input you folks have on this./QUOTE]

FWIW, my 61A750 sits atop a stand that's 19.5" high, and the stand itself sits on a raised platform that's 9" high, so 28.5" total height. My viewing distance is also 12', and whether I'm sitting or lying on the family room sofa or standing in front of the TV, there's no vertical fall-off (dimming) on this TV. I, too, was concerned about fall-off parameters for this particular TV model, but it has proven to be a non-issue thus far. Each day of viewing this TV has been a very positive experience.
Hope you have good results with your 750 -- keep us informed.

When in doubt, do the right thing.
post #3457 of 5059 Old 05-23-2008, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farzad View Post

is the effect on the picture obvious to non-videophiles?

Honestly, it's only an issue, but a discernible issue, when you are viewing 4:3 content. If you're happily watching everything in 16:9 or stretching 4:3 to 16:9, you don't see it while viewing a program. However you will see it when putting up your programming guide or DVR menu. And yes, it nags at you. It's like getting a brand new car that has a big chip in the paint right on the drivers side door. You can't not look at it.

For the people that are taking the time to be on this list, we're likely going to want to view programming in the native aspect ratio that it was produced in. And even my wife, who could care less what technology or specs the TV has, complains about the 4:3 image leaning over. For $2K, a straight line should be nearly a straight line. Rant complete.
post #3458 of 5059 Old 05-23-2008, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPOnion View Post

Quick question: Does big river have a price guarentee? I'm just wondering if the price drops on their site in a few weeks if I'll be able to get the difference.

Amazon really is the greatest when it comes to customer service and their price guarantee. Though they do NOT offer price matching to other merchants, if you buy DIRECTLY through Amazon and their own price, NOT a Marketplace merchant, comes down within 30-days of when you RECEIVE it, they will refund the difference, with no hassle at all. All you need to is call them or email the request (the onus is on you and you'll have to watch the price throughout the month with all the fluctuations).

I've had them refund price drops many a times and they've been great about it. Even if it's a few days after you got it they'll usually say "No problem and thanks for being an Amazon customer!" Plug complete.
post #3459 of 5059 Old 05-23-2008, 06:24 PM

I'm pleased to say that our 67" has none of the bowing/tilt issues so many have complained about in the 61".

I'm yet to see anyone complain about their 67" on this board. Anyone out there had a problem with a 67" yet???

I'm sure the more rigid cabinet design has a lot to do with it, also maybe the fact these problems were addressed before the final production trigger was pulled.

Thoughts????

Peace
MR
post #3460 of 5059 Old 05-23-2008, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbr4pixels View Post

Guys this is reality these new slim line 2008 and slim 2007 samsung dlp tv"s are a bowing/tilt mess.People who buy them and say even though it bothers me i will "live with it" are telling samsung hey we can keep making our dlp's a mess with the bowing/tilt because joe bob and larry,curly etc are gonna "live with it".Sorry but if without evening being OCD and when your set is turned on and visitors are like why is it drooping like a clothsline in the center etc etc that is insane.If this was so small only a OCD guy who busted out a tape measure looking for problems could only see it then it would be "ok".If it dont bug you then cool but for the 99% who think paying around 2k plus for tv"s that bow like this isnt ok then return them while you can.Show samsung as these pile up returned its not "ok" then find a alternative tv.

Agreed with your point and your strategy--except that they don't all have this problem.

So if you otherwise like the set for all its good qualities, just keep returning until you get a good one.

Samsung will still get the message.

But they ain't ALL bad...and like the other guy said, all these new TVs have issues.

DLP is still the best bang for the buck, by a mile..

Dave

post #3461 of 5059 Old 05-23-2008, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think there are enough 67" owners yet to draw conclusions. Fingers crossed.
post #3462 of 5059 Old 05-23-2008, 06:47 PM

Anyone heard anything about the darkchip 4 being used?
post #3463 of 5059 Old 05-23-2008, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3watts3 View Post

Anyone heard anything about the darkchip 4 being used?

All evidence leads to the conclusion that none of Samsung DLPs are using the DC4 chip as yet. Only the Mitsu DLPs have moved this year to the DC4. Some are speculating that a rumored 850 series may incorporate the DC4, but there's absolutely no tangible information on when (or if). If Samsung stays in the DLP business, I'm sure it will find its way in sooner (or later).

As with any technology product, there's always going to be a newer and better product coming out next for a lesser price. Buy when you're ready... and no matter what happens, they'll also be a tinge of buyer's remorse when the price drops and the next better thing comes out! Hey, there's always Craig's List.
post #3464 of 5059 Old 05-23-2008, 08:01 PM

well spoken except to add that the preponderance of information seems to be that its still has kick ass picture quality.
post #3465 of 5059 Old 05-23-2008, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farzad View Post

...add that the preponderance of information seems to be that its still has kick ass picture quality.

I agree. I'm actually glad my 61a750 had geometry issues so I was able to step up to the 67". As soon as the 61's out of here I hope the 67's right behind it.
post #3466 of 5059 Old 05-23-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intersys View Post

CC has a 10% off coupon out now -

http://a.slickdeals.net/attachment.p...7&d=1211395897 which brings the price down to 1710 for 61a750

Thanks for that mate!
post #3467 of 5059 Old 05-24-2008, 02:33 AM

Samsung tech support told me that the 750 series does NOT have the Dark chip 4.
The DND chip is xHD5.
post #3468 of 5059 Old 05-24-2008, 04:19 AM

I should be getting the 67" sometime this weekend (with luck today the 24th)... but I won't get quality viewing time until Monday.

I'll do my best to answer any questions about the set... I'll also put a grid up ASAP and at least report if I see any problems there.

TK
post #3469 of 5059 Old 05-24-2008, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post

Agreed with your point and your strategy--except that they don't all have this problem.

So if you otherwise like the set for all its good qualities, just keep returning until you get a good one.

Samsung will still get the message.

But they ain't ALL bad...and like the other guy said, all these new TVs have issues.

DLP is still the best bang for the buck, by a mile..

If they aint all bad a very high percent are at least noticing bowing though.But if you have one with no bowing which IMO is beyond rare cool.But still if there are a small percent perfect then still samsung dropped the ball.It should be a small percent are bowing if anything.Im curios to know if the hl67a750 bow less/more then the 61a750.common sense would suggest more due to the larger/longer screen.But anyone with a 67 care to say?
post #3470 of 5059 Old 05-24-2008, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mike - add to the FAQ please..

Quote:
Originally Posted by grburke View Post

Samsung tech support told me that the 750 series does NOT have the Dark chip 4.
The DND chip is xHD5.

post #3471 of 5059 Old 05-24-2008, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone plugged their XXA750 series (61 or 67") into a Kill-A-Watt meter and noted the usage in watts? I was thinking of bringing my meter to BB to test it. My antique HLM/N series uses 181 watts and want to reduce, especially @ 12 hours a day.

Support C-band, the only true satellite signal, More information HERE
post #3472 of 5059 Old 05-24-2008, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurvino View Post

I'd get more confirmation before you document too much as "official". Seems like the jury is still out on this issue.
post #3473 of 5059 Old 05-24-2008, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

I went from a 5 year old HLN617W to the HL61A750 and the improvement in picture quality was tremendous. I think you are the first person I recall on these forums who has said their old HLN set looks better. Just doesn't make sense, the new DLP chip is several generations improved over the old HLN chips. I think you need to chalk up your experience to either a poorly, misadjusted, or defective set, or terrible viewing conditions. If you got a new 650 or 750 in your home and set it up for a side by side comparison with your old set, (which I have done), I think you would be impressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEB II View Post

We currently own Samsung HLN507W, which the wife agrees we will replace before the end of the year. We are primarily looking at LCDs, but every so often the wife asks why we don't consider another DLP since we have been happy with the one we've had for almost 5 years and we could save a few bucks. So I always take a quick look to see what is up with the new DLPs.

Last year's Sammy DLPs were terrible. Maybe they were rated 1080p, but I wouldn't have traded my current Sammy DLP for any of them. My wife was shocked when she saw them. I saw some Series 6 units about a month ago and was impressed with the improvement in PQ and horizontal viewing angle over the 2007 models. Today, while on my way out of a CC store, I spotted the first Series 7 model that I've seen.

So what was my reaction, disappointment. While it definitely has a brighter and sharper picture than its predecessors, this LED DLP pales in basic video sharpness, depth of color, and viewing angle to the Series 6. No way would I replace my current Sammy with this model, it isn't as enjoyable to watch. Now I would consider a Series 6 based on PQ, since it would be equal to or better than my current Sammy; however, the comments on this thread about bowing issues certainly discourage that.

The CC store where I saw the Series 7 had a Mitsu (don't remember the model number) next to it and a Series 6 next to the Mitsu. Walking from the Series 7 to the Mitsu and then to the Series 6 was a progression of PQ and viewing angle, with the Series 6 the best and the Mitsu second. The Series 7 just has that dull soupy color look to it without any "pop" and what color sharpness it has fades badly once you move about 30 degrees off center (no I didn't use a protractor, but I'm an ME with a PE, so I have some sense of angular measurement via visual inspection). The Series 6 PQ and viewing angle were very good and, but for the cabinet and picture distortion problem, would probably be on my replacement candidate list.

BTW, I'm not one of those who thinks he sees rainbows and I don't know anyone who has ever seen a rainbow with my current Sammy. I also don't have an issue with the lamp replacement in DLPs. I replaced my first lamp at about 7000 hours because we thought it was failing. It wasn't, it was a video board problem, so I still have that lamp as a backup. The second lamp is still going strong at over 9000 hours. Total investment in lamps for almost 17,000 hours of use is about $200. No big deal.

If I thought the bowing and distortion problems would be fixed by late in the year, I'd really consider the Series 6, but I think that Samsung is suffering the unintended consequences of trying to get the slimmest and lightest DLP on the market.

post #3474 of 5059 Old 05-24-2008, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurvino View Post

Already added based on some additional information someone posted directly from the 750 service menu. I think it is becoming clear that is does NOT have the darkchip4. However, I still think it has an awesome picture, and at least for me the advantages of this LED set over the new DC4 Mitsu's are worth it to me, even if the Mitsu has marginally better PQ.
post #3475 of 5059 Old 05-24-2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_pro View Post

Already added based on some additional information someone posted directly from the 750 service menu. I think it is becoming clear that is does NOT have the darkchip4. However, I still think it has an awesome picture, and at least for me the advantages of this LED set over the new DC4 Mitsu's are worth it to me, even if the Mitsu has marginally better PQ.

Which model's of the Mitsu's have the dark chip 4? I'm looking at the 61 - 73 inch range.

By the way when I get to work I'll see if I can find more information about DC4 with Samsung DLP's.

I'm trying to decide between the Sammy HL67A750 or HL61A750 or HL72A650 and the Mitsu WD73736 or WD65736. I dont think I want the Mitsu 735 series.

This TV is going to be used in my new Media Room. No windows to worry about in this room so lighting will be perfect.
post #3476 of 5059 Old 05-24-2008, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3watts3 View Post

By the way when I get to work I'll see if I can find more information about DC4 with Samsung DLP's.

Good luck with that!

Unless you work in the industry and have some SERIOUS inside connections.

This thread has been all over that issue for months, and no definitive word has emerged, though it's looking less and less likely these sets have DC$.

That said, the issues seem to be dropping, no bad geometry reports yet on the 67 inchers, and most posters seem to be really pleased with the overall PQ, naysayers notwithstanding.

I'll probably wait to see how the Mits lasers play out, but I'm looking favorably on the 67.

But for now, especially with limited viewing this time of year, I'm perfectly happy with my HLN567W.

It's nice to be able to afford to wait and see.

Dave

post #3477 of 5059 Old 05-24-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post

Good luck with that!

Unless you work in the industry and have some SERIOUS inside connections.

This thread has been all over that issue for months, and no definitive word has emerged, though it's looking less and less likely these sets have DC$.

That said, the issues seem to be dropping, no bad geometry reports yet on the 67 inchers, and most posters seem to be really pleased with the overall PQ, naysayers notwithstanding.

I'll probably wait to see how the Mits lasers play out, but I'm looking favorably on the 67.

But for now, especially with limited viewing this time of year, I'm perfectly happy with my HLN567W.

It's nice to be able to afford to wait and see.

I'll be able to find out information but I may not be able to say anything if it's under a NDA. I can't risk my job. I don't work for any of the companies that make the DLP TV's but I work for the company that makes the key component

I can afford to wait as well since it's going to take about 8 months to build our house.
post #3478 of 5059 Old 05-24-2008, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Exchanged my 1st HL56A650 thru BB because of a small, but annoying, geometry issue. Checked out the new set this morning. At first, I thought that the geometry looked worst but on measurement, nothing varied by more than 1/16 of an inch (woe be the powers of suggestion and low expectations). Feeling good about that, I started my usual routine of photographing the service menu. Hmmm... This set has earlier firmware than my previous set. Samsung service (2nd level) could not/would not tell me what differences might exist btwn the two versions. As far as service is concerned, no update route exists. (If I could come up with an issue the newer software might resolve, they might be able to get a copy for me.) This could very well be "Much Ado About Nothing," but nevertheless, it's got me wondering if (or, imagining that) I'm missing out on the latest and greatest again. OK, some of us are never satisfied...

don...

Ferengi Five Stages of Acquisition: 1. Infatuation. 2. Justification. 3. Appropriation. 4. Obsession. 5. Resell
post #3479 of 5059 Old 05-24-2008, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Though its an Internet etailer, Electronique Plus is selling the 67a750 for $2,087.00. Though Best Buy doesn't match Internet dealer pricing, I mentioned the price to a floor sales rep. She took a look at their margin and said, they could likely match that price, though it would be up to the manager. She said to bring in the printed price and she would run it by him.

I think this is just the tip of the ice burg. I think we'll see pricing under $2,000 from both Internet and B&M within 45-days of the 6/1 official launch date. They're going to have to cut their margins if they expect to move these products during today's economy... I feel bad for movie theater owners.
post #3480 of 5059 Old 05-24-2008, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

its the best times for movie theater owners, why would you feel bad?
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page