post #3481 of 5060 Old 05-24-2008, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurvino View Post

its the best times for movie theater owners, why would you feel bad?

I wasn't talking about "home" theater movie owners. I was talking about the $14.00 a ticket cinema theater owners. I had three multiplex cinemas within 10-miles of me. Now there's one. The others are vacant lots. I haven't "gone to the movies" in over two years. With 67" HDTV's and HD content over cable, satellite, blu-ray/HD DVD and digital download, how many "go" to the movies any more?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3482 of 5060 Old 05-24-2008, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWL View Post

I wasn't talking about "home" theater movie owners. I was talking about the $14.00 a ticket cinema theater owners. I had three multiplex cinemas within 10-miles of me. Now there's one. The others are vacant lots. I haven't "gone to the movies" in over two years. With 67" HDTV's and HD content over cable, satellite, blu-ray/HD DVD and digital download, how many "go" to the movies any more?

$14 a ticket? Huh? I live inbetween Miami and Ft Lauderdale and I in the lucky spot of having a Muvico with 18 screens 2 miles from me and a Regal with 13 screens 1-1/2 miles from me, both do great, and both charge between $7 - $9 a ticket. My wife and I go to the movies at least twice a month, many times more, and the patrons there are pretty good, they usually dont bug us. Are you serious about $14 a ticket??????

never take life seriously
post #3483 of 5060 Old 05-24-2008, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

$14 a ticket? Huh? I live inbetween Miami and Ft Lauderdale and I in the lucky spot of having a Muvico with 18 screens 2 miles from me and a Regal with 13 screens 1-1/2 miles from me, both do great, and both charge between $7 - $9 a ticket. My wife and I go to the movies at least twice a month, many times more, and the patrons there are pretty good, they usually dont bug us. Are you serious about $14 a ticket??????

When you live just outside NYC you got to cough up $14. Matinees are $8.50- a veritable bargain. Take the wife and kid along with a large popcorn and three sodas and you're talking $53 for the three of us. I'll wait for our supermarket Red Box to rent for a buck on watch on our own theater screen.

I used to love going to the movies. I went to my local multiplex every Friday night with a friend from work (before getting married). Then I realized $19 a week for a 2-hour movie was better spent elsewhere...
post #3484 of 5060 Old 05-24-2008, 08:10 PM

Haven't seen any posts for this but for those of us in Canada I picked up my 67A750 from directbuy this morning so they do exist north of the border.
post #3485 of 5060 Old 05-24-2008, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 36
combien de loonies?

Dave

post #3486 of 5060 Old 05-24-2008, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Nice! I'll be picking up my 67A750 in the next 2 weeks here in winnipeg.
What stands are you people using for this beast?

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #3487 of 5060 Old 05-24-2008, 10:46 PM

Just wanted to say that we tried Stevenz's settings on our 67" and they really brought her to life. Everyone should try these with the 61-67 and see for themselves. We like it a lot, and the HD channels jump off the screen while HD DVD movies are sharp as tacks.

Anyone having issues with green tint should be happy with this setting.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post13626675

Peace
MR
post #3488 of 5060 Old 05-24-2008, 11:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by missrunt View Post

Anyone having issues with green tint should be happy with this setting.

How could these settings help with a green tint when they are upping green? Anyway I tried the settings and colors are extremely overblown and greenish (Amy's blonde hair looks green on Saturday Night Live).
post #3489 of 5060 Old 05-25-2008, 12:03 AM

for those that want to know... I picked up the HL67A750 today before work... I'm at work now so I can't open the set or test it out yet... but at least I have some box measurements for you all...

HL67A750 box size...

W = 20.5"
H = 46"
L = 65.75"

Not sure if I'd recommend transporting this flat... but others have done so with the smaller sets and been OK... but there's an increased risk of getting "dark spots" (which is dust, fuzz or styrofoam getting stuck to either the mirrors or screen) being displayed. I would think though that if you take it easy and slow on the way home you'd probably be OK, but just understand there's probably a higher risk of a mirror bouncing wrong and cracking.

I'll do my best to report more the morning of the 25th (USA Central Time).

Can someone provide me a link to some "good" settings to try both in and out of the service menu?

Also... what's the latest firmware for the 67" and can someone provide a link yet?

thanks,
TK.

TK
post #3490 of 5060 Old 05-25-2008, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

How could these settings help with a green tint when they are upping green? Anyway I tried the settings and colors are extremely overblown and greenish (Amy's blonde hair looks green on Saturday Night Live).

You might have issues with something other than these settings. The gamma and white settings did wonders for our slight green tint. I doubt there is much difference with the 61-67...just stating the facts when looking at our 67".

We're spoiled to double stacked Barco's @ 120" BTW

Peace
MR
post #3491 of 5060 Old 05-25-2008, 01:18 AM
Advanced Member

60 DAY HDTV PRICE GUARANTEE: BUY IT TODAY WITH CONFIDENCE
thru May 31. Find a lower advertised price later and we'll meet or beat it, even if it's our own. Valid on HDTVs purchased 5/11/08-7/26/08. Some exclusions apply.
post #3492 of 5060 Old 05-25-2008, 01:27 AM
Advanced Member

GET FREE DELIVERY AND RECYCLING* plus, Geek Squad® Setup is included when you buy any DLP TV thru May 31
A $209.98 value

Now if they'll honor an Internet dealer price match and a 10% off coupon for the 67a750 and we got a deal. I'm off to Best Buy tomorrow (later today) to wheel and deal. Let's see how much they really want to sell these units.
post #3493 of 5060 Old 05-25-2008, 01:32 AM
Advanced Member

AdamWL,

You mentioned you're in the NYC area. If you're successful, please also report back on which Best Buy you got it done at. I looked at the site for in-store pickups (to get an idea which one might actually have these sets on display), but couldn't find a single one in the NYC area for that. Closest one seems to be in NJ, and I'm not sure it makes sense to trek out there to try to wheel and deal for a (61") set.

Thanks.

_Man_
post #3494 of 5060 Old 05-25-2008, 01:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong View Post

AdamWL,

You mentioned you're in the NYC area. If you're successful, please also report back on which Best Buy you got it done at. I looked at the site for in-store pickups (to get an idea which one might actually have these sets on display), but couldn't find a single one in the NYC area for that. Closest one seems to be in NJ, and I'm not sure it makes sense to trek out there to try to wheel and deal for a (61") set.

Thanks.

_Man_

I went to the Patchogue store on LI, just off of Sunrise Highway. They've had the 61a750 on display for about four weeks now (they didn't get the 67s in yet). After mentioning it to them, they said that if there were any geometry issues, they would replace it until you got one that you were happy with. I'd call around to some other LI stores to see if they have them on display.

It appears that your mileage will vary on them agreeing to price matches that aren't local/regional B&Ms. But I was told its all up to the manager you speak with. I'll see what happens later today...
post #3495 of 5060 Old 05-25-2008, 02:03 AM

Quote:

I went to the Patchogue store on LI, just off of Sunrise Highway. They've had the 61a750 on display for about four weeks now (they didn't get the 67s in yet). After mentioning it to them, they said that if there were any geometry issues, they would replace it until you got one that you were happy with. I'd call around to some other LI stores to see if they have them on display.

It appears that your mileage will vary on them agreeing to price matches that aren't local/regional B&Ms. But I was told its all up to the manager you speak with. I'll see what happens later today...

Get the 67" there are no GEO issues!!! These are disposable TV's with great PQ! They filter from south to north hence being made in Mexico.

BTW: CC has a 60 day match on prices if you talk to the salesman nice.

I'm pretty sure we're the first to have one and talk about it on here. 8 days and counting without fail All this fuss over a TV blows my mind!

Peace
MR
post #3496 of 5060 Old 05-25-2008, 02:09 AM

hope you're right about the GEO issues... I'm a little worried since my box seems a little "scrunched" (sp?) but crossing my fingers the thicker casing holds up. Only about 4 more hours before I can test it out.

TK
post #3497 of 5060 Old 05-25-2008, 02:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Get the 67" there are no GEO issues!!! These are disposable TV's with great PQ! They filter from south to north hence being made in Mexico.

BTW: CC has a 60 day match on prices if you talk to the salesman nice.

I'm pretty sure we're the first to have one and talk about it on here. 8 days and counting without fail All this fuss over a TV blows my mind!

Peace
MR

I agree about the 67 on both counts. This TV business had distracted me way too much. I've had a geometry problem 61a750 sitting in my living room for the past 3-weeks waiting for the Internet dealer to send a truck and pick it up. Working from home, this thing stares back at me all day long. I just want this to be settled once and for all and to get back to reality (and enjoying the TV of course)!
post #3498 of 5060 Old 05-25-2008, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknomedic View Post

hope you're right about the GEO issues... I'm a little worried since my box seems a little "scrunched" (sp?) but crossing my fingers the thicker casing holds up. Only about 4 more hours before I can test it out.

The 67" are much better builds than the 61..you'll be fine. Just realize that shipping damage is shipping damage. Check it out and file claim if you are not satisfied!

MR
post #3499 of 5060 Old 05-25-2008, 02:28 AM

Quote:

I agree about the 67 on both counts. This TV business had distracted me way too much. I've had a geometry problem 61a750 sitting in my living room for the past 3-weeks waiting for the Internet dealer to send a truck and pick it up. Working from home, this thing stares back at me all day long. I just want this to be settled once and for all and to get back to reality (and enjoying the TV of course)!

Adam...

Man those issues sound like too much to deal with!

Make em' send you a nice shiny new 67" and love life again. After all, it's just a TV. You'll be glad you did, and this set is way better than the flimsy 61!

Peace
MR
post #3500 of 5060 Old 05-25-2008, 02:28 AM

Oh... I will, lol. ...but mostly I'll just exchange it at BB since that's where I picked it up from. Basically the plastic "straps" have dug into the box and there are scrunches on about half of the corners... and it's missing one of those plastic box holders near the bottom of the box. I saw this when the BB guy rolled it out to me, but I didn't say anything since this was shipped from the warehouse and I know my store doesn't have any others to exchange with right now... but I'll start the exchange process if I find anything wrong with it when I open the box.

... I know nearly all the BB customer service people by first name... and they know me as well. lol.

Quote:

The 67" are much better builds than the 61..you'll be fine. Just realize that shipping damage is shipping damage. Check it out and file claim if you are not satisfied!

MR

TK
post #3501 of 5060 Old 05-25-2008, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknomedic View Post

Oh... I will, lol. ...but mostly I'll just exchange it at BB since that's where I picked it up from. Basically the plastic "straps" have dug into the box and there are scrunches on about half of the corners... and it's missing one of those plastic box holders near the bottom of the box. I saw this when the BB guy rolled it out to me, but I didn't say anything since this was shipped from the warehouse and I know my store doesn't have any others to exchange with right now... but I'll start the exchange process if I find anything wrong with it when I open the box.

... I know nearly all the BB customer service people by first name... and they know me as well. lol.

You got 61 or 67???

We've abused the 67" (not really) but, it's hanging on the wall right now with DLP-2 mounts and looking good!

Never lay it flat, the boy that helped us load the truck said, "If we lay it down it will fit better".

I said, are you "effen" crazy you should never lay a Projection TV flat...give me that box!

Watched them load a 50+" plasma for Tom & Tom while removing the box and smashing it into the front seat.

I'm posting about the first 67" on this board, while they're trying to get a refund.

Peace
MR
post #3502 of 5060 Old 05-25-2008, 03:08 AM

I have the 67" now... with the beat up box as well.

((long story cut short... at least about as short as I can make it at this point, lol))

--------Story Start---------------------------------------

Bought a Mits WD-52525 about 3.5yrs ago with BB PSP...

after a few "repairs" the service center even said it's a crap TV, lol... so BB offered "junk out exchange" for about $1800 (I paid about $4000 originally)... after some complaining and "dealing", they upped the exchange to $2299.99 the price of the 61" LED Sammy at the time...

...I accpeted of course since I wanted the 61" LED and it was priced at 2299.

...but we had some slight GEO issues and a possible new "no signal issue" with firmware v1004 so on day 29 (5-20-08) we returned the set for an exchange with the 67"... I paid the extra 200 plus tax (out of pocket) ((2299 vs 2499)) for the 67" set so we could do the sole order and get the 67" shipped from the warehouse.

...The 67" arrived today at BB... and my 12% off BB coupons arrived on the 21st, lol. So they applied the 12% (but in a funny way) so that I got my $200 plus tax refunded... so now my 67" set cost $2299.99. Of course I bought another $400 PSP for the set, but I say it's a good trade since I basically upgraded for "free" from a 3.5yr old 52" Mits DLP to a new LED 67".

... now if the 67" will just drop to below $2000 so that I can get a $50 refund on my PSP before the 30 days are up I'd be happier... but I'm still happy. ((assuming no issues with the 67" of course))

-------Story End----------------------------------------

As a final thought... I know the BB PSP plans are bit expensive, but I've always had good luck with getting good exchanges on a few of the products I've bought them for, the 52" Mits exchange is just the latest (and biggest). I like being able to walk into a BB and speak with my local managers and basically get my way... where I think I'd lose a lot of leverage if I went with a Mack or other warranty.

... fighting with a manager in the middle of the store works on so many levels... and it's fun too.

TK
post #3503 of 5060 Old 05-25-2008, 08:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:

You might have issues with something other than these settings. The gamma and white settings did wonders for our slight green tint.

Gamma has no effect on colors so that's not it. Setting it to +2 just lightens the entire image and helps mask the overly green settings. Because of the Gamma or other settings the image is rather flat.

Anyone else try these settings?
post #3504 of 5060 Old 05-25-2008, 09:45 AM

Quick report on my 67"... I hate to bring some bad news but....

I had (at first) what looked like a "tilt" issue... but I found that it was adjustable (in a way)... if I stand in front of the set, place both my hands on the top of the TV about 3ft apart I can push towards the rear with one hand and pull towards the front with my other hand... this allows the screen to slid inside the frame (keeping mostly straight) and allowing me to adjust the angle of the inside mirror. By doing this I was able to get a near pefect straight image. The TV seems to stay where I put it... but if I do any moving of the TV this "fine adjustment" will need to be done every time... I would think even if someone bumps the TV I'll have to "readjust".

Another note... my 61" set had "hour glass" bowing in 4:3... this one has the opposite... although not nearly as bad... so instead of warping toward the inside of a 4:3 image, the sides warp out.. very slight though. I've found my screen is pushing "out" instead of "in" the closer I get to the center... again I can press a finger into the center of the screen and "fix" this... but of course it doesn't stay.

Also... YES, this set DOES have the "black bar bleeding" of bright objects (both upper and lower bleeding, just like the 61"... although lower bleeding is much harder to see). The bleed penetrates just as much as the 61"... but seems to be "dimmer".... but at this point I don't have time to play with color/contrast/etc settings so this could get better or worse once I adjust the set.

I've already had what seemed to be a "hand shake" issue via HDMI. My HD cable box entering an Onkyo 605 AVR via component and being converted to the HDMI out of the Onkyo... only displayed a "blue" screen at first. After restarting the Onkyo the image finally arrived. This was standard a standard def basic cable channel. This TV seems to have firmware version 1004... I think I heard there was a 1005.3 available?... can anyone provide a download link???

So far it's better than the 61"... but it does come with some problems. The blue screen I'll chalk up to being the first try at getting all the hardware talking... if it happens again though I'll get more worried if I'm running firmware 1005.3 or later.

As for the outward bowing... again this is very slight and you don't see it unless you're looking hard for it so this is OK as well.

I'm still trying to decide if my frame adjusting tilt "feature" is good or bad... on the one hand the TV will need adjustment from time to time... but on the other, I can at least adjust it... where if the screen was "locked down" I'd be screwed. So it's a plus with a minus.... I guess. ((can anyone else do this... or should I consider this a bonus or bad set???))

If someone can direct me to the "best" picture settings numbers we currently know of, I'll try to adjust the set and see how things go.

... off to get some sleep.... I work another 12 tonight.

TK
post #3505 of 5060 Old 05-25-2008, 10:54 AM

Directbuy is a horrible scam and Tomanik should be banned...
post #3506 of 5060 Old 05-25-2008, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Agreed.. Give me Netflix and 67 inch DLP/HT system and no need to go to the theater, unless you have a cute date.

Quote:

post #3507 of 5060 Old 05-25-2008, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurvino View Post

Agreed.. Give me Netflix and 67 inch DLP/HT system and no need to go to the theater, unless you have a cute date.

Yes and yes. The Netflix Roku http://www.roku.com/netflixplayer/ is most definitely on my short list of the next HT equipment to hook-up to our new 67a750. Their not streaming in HD yet, but over 10,000 shows to choose from all for a flat $8.95/month, is a sweet deal. No renting, no time limit, no returns... You can count me in.
post #3508 of 5060 Old 05-25-2008, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

The 67a750 is in. Well we're off to the races. Let's see how long it takes for the prices to settle. 30-day price guarantee at Amazon, 60-price match/guarantee at Best Buy, 30/60-day price match at CC. Let the fun begin.
post #3509 of 5060 Old 05-25-2008, 01:35 PM

Liked: 12
I'm trying to get my grayscale values to be correct on my 67 sammie. I'm referencing this greyscale tutorial on another website, and am using a spyder 2 to get the readings. I've run into a few issues that have pretty much made me go back to the original settings out the box until I can figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I'd appreciate any feedback on the following questions!

1.) The first thing I'm trying to figure out is what settings I should be using on my tv before going into the service menu.

2.) The second thing is, I've noticed going into the service menu completely voids the settings altogether that are on the TV, since it seems like the service menu runs independent. Is there a way around this? I ask because of the next question...

3.) I'm supposed to initially adjust my contrast and brightness. I figure since the settings reset in the service menu, that adjustment of contrast and brightness is done through sub_contrast and sub_brightness on the WB menu? What I'm trying to do is make my contrast of 80 and darkness of 50 be at the contrast/brightness levels in the service menu but I can't figure out a way to do this as going out of the service menu and starting up the tv brings me back to the default out of the box settings of contrast 100 brightness 45. I'd like to have some wiggle room in the main menus to increase the contrast if need be over the years.

4.) I'm supposed to adjust my red and blue levels at IRE 80 then 30, and try to take care of the in between and low end IRE values. I'm trying to get the RGB values to be as close to the 100% mark as possible. To make sure, these are the R/B values that I adjust under sub_brightness for low IRE and sub_contrast for high IRE? The problem i'm running into is without adjusting the green value, I have a hell of a time getting the red high enough near 100%. I've only been able to stablize all three colors modifying the green since the green for my set out of the box is at 110%. But modifying the green seems to lower my contrast throughout the IRE spectrum.
post #3510 of 5060 Old 05-25-2008, 02:10 PM

I need to fit an HL61A750 on a piece of furniture that my wife is near and dear to.
The set would extend 4 inches beyond the top height of the opening. I am curious if the top of the set is narrower depth than the bottom.
The bottom shelf is 16 inches thick so the 14 inch depth would be ok if it is less than 8 inches deep at the top of the TV.
I hope I am making sense.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page