AVS Forum banner

2008 Samsung DLP's Discussion (HLxxA650/A750)

910K views 5K replies 724 participants last post by  massimj 
#1 ·
Samsung announced to world on Jan 6th its 2008 series of DLP displays.

The Series 6 DLP HDTVs include the models HL50A650 (50 inches), HL56A650 (56 inches), HL61A650 (61 inches) and HL72A650 (72 inches).

The Series 7 LED DLP HDTVs include the HL61A750 (61 inches) and HL67A750 (67 inches - expected June 2008).

Press Links:
Gizmoto - Samsung Sticks With Rear-Screen Projectors, Shows New Series 6 and 7 Sets
Engadget HD - Samsung sticks by RPTV, intros HL67A750A / HL56A650A

Luminus - Luminus Devices Previews Third Generation of LED-Powered DLP® HDTVs from Samsung's 2008 Line-Up
Hometechanswers - Samsung Series 6 DLP HDTV - 4 New Models for 2008
Hometechanswers - Samsung Series 7 LED DLP HDTV - 2 New Models for 2008

Vendor text
SAMSUNG'S NEW DLP HDTVS LEAD THE WAY WITH IMPROVED FUNCTIONALITY, ENERGY EFFICIENCY AND LOWER COST OF OWNERSHIP

Commitment to Advanced LED Technology and Enhanced Connectivity Make the New DLP™ HDTV Line-up a Remarkable Consumer Value

LAS VEGAS, January 6, 2008 - Expanding on last year's introduction of the world's first 3D-ready DLP HDTVs, Samsung Electronics continues its commitment to offering consumers choice, value, leading product designs and innovation within the DLP HDTV category by announcing its 2008 ―Series 6 and 7‖ line-up today. With a strategic focus on product performance and design, cost of ownership and energy efficiency, Samsung enters 2008 with excitement and vigor in regards to the company's leading position in the DLP category.

The new Series 6 and Series 7 DLP HDTVs offer consumers increased value while integrating innovative features that lead Samsung's portfolio of Micro Display and Flat Panel HDTV offerings for 2008. The Series 6 and 7 DLP HDTVs not only feature larger screens and Full HD 1080p clarity for sports, movies and gaming, they also offer the latest in networking and 3D technologies. Samsung's DLP HDTV lineup will be on display at Booth #11033 during the International Consumer Electronics Show held at the Las Vegas Convention Center, January 7 through 10.

Samsung is steadfastly committed to remaining a leader in the DLP space in 2008 and beyond with a strong investment in product development fueling the consistent introduction of innovative and affordable DLP HDTVs,‖ said Steve Panosian, director of Visual Display Marketing at Samsung Electronics America.

Building on the success of our innovative technology, we've incorporated several new upgrades, such as WiseLink 2.0 (USB) and HDMI V1.3 for enhanced connectivity, allowing consumers to access a wide range of content through their TVs. In addition, DLP has been proven to be an energy efficient HDTV category, and Samsung continues to focus on making DLP the most energy efficient possible.

Consumers will also enjoy a total 3-D experience, with the finest in sound and picture resolution,‖ added Panosian.

The 2008 6 and 7 series DLP TV will feature built-in 3-D technology and entertainment modes that automatically optimize both audio and video quality to deliver the best movie, sports, and gaming experience possible. The new remote design includes dedicated ―Entertainment Mode‖ buttons making split-second adjustments possible. Samsung's 3D-technology co-marketing plans include a starter kit accessory acclimating even novice users to this unique application.

Series 6 DLP HDTV Housed in a slim cabinet with a narrow bezel, the Series 6's hidden speakers make it aesthetically pleasing, as well as technologically advanced. Multimedia users will enjoy easy functionality with portable devices. MP3 players, PMPs, and thumb drives can all be used via the HDTV's WiseLink USB 2.0 input, while three HDMI-CEC side ports make it easy to plug in Blu-ray, HD-DVD players, HD camcorders and game consoles for immediate use. The Series 6 DLP HDTVs will be available in April and June in the following sizes: 50-inches, 56-inches, 61-inches and 72-inches (Model numbers: HL50A650, HL56A650, HL61A650 and HL72A650). Series 7 LED DLP HDTV

Samsung's Series 7 DLP HDTV has one of the most environmentally conscious designs on the market today. Consumers will find that this series' new Cinema Pure™ Color Engine powered by the long-lasting Generation 2.4 LED consistently outperforms its traditional lamp-based counterparts, delivering outstanding picture quality and continuous light output rated at over 60,000 hours.

Energy Star® compliance addresses efficiency while these state of the art HDTVs consumes approximately half the power of a 60-inch class plasma HDTV. This new LED DLP sets typically do not require interval lamp replacement and combined with low power consumption results in a lower cost of ownership for the consumer. At the same time, the Series 7 DLP HDTVs improve brightness by more than 40 percent and offer a wider color gamut for delivering a cinematic experience beyond other display technologies --all while using only 230 watts of power, resulting in both a

Greener HDTV -- energy consumption and cost of ownership message to the consumer. Adding to the functionality of our Series 7 DLP TVs is Simplay HDMI compliance, a new Remote with specially designed hot keys, and a new simplified user interface and menu system. The result of these enhancements enables control over all HDMI-CEC-compatible A/V devices for a simplified total system convenience experience. WiseLink 2.0 (USB) with codec support for MP3 and JPEG enables consumers to easily access files from their portable media and display the files on a brilliant big screen HDTV. The Series 7 DLP TVs will also feature a 1 Tuner PIP function. The Series 7 LED DLP HDTVs will be available in April and June in both 61-inches and 67-inches (Model numbers HL61A750 and HL67A750).

About Samsung Electronics America, Inc. Headquartered in Ridgefield Park, NJ, Samsung Electronics America, Inc. (SEA), a wholly owned subsidiary of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., markets a broad range of award-winning, advanced digital consumer electronics and home appliance products, including HDTVs, home theater systems, MP3 players, refrigerators and laundry machines. A recognized innovation leader in consumer electronics design and technology, Samsung is the HDTV market leader in the U.S. and is the only manufacturer that produces all four major digital television technologies. Please visit www.samsung.com for more information.

50" Widescreen DLP HDTV with 1080p

Model Number: HL50A650

Click to enlarge

Printer friendly page

MSRP: $1899.99

TV/Video

• Slim bezel (0.6"), “piano black” cabinet

• Slim depth – fits where others won’t™

• Samsung Cinema Smooth™ 1080p light engine:

- Full HD 1920 x 1080p digital format converter

for all inputs

- Single-panel DLP® design—crystal-clear picture

without any possibility of convergence errors

- Smooth, film-like images and ultra-quiet

operation

• Analog and full digital NTSC/ATSC Tuners with

Clear QAM (digital cable)

• Energy Star® Compliant (0.8 Watt standby)

• Single user interface for easy menu surfing

• Entertainment mode

• 3D ready—Future-proof your HD experience

Audio

• Watts per channel: 10W x 2

• SRS TruSurround XT™

• Hidden speaker system (DACS™)

Connections

• 3 HDMI inputs

- 480p/720p/1080i/1080p (60Hz/30Hz/24Hz)

input support

- HDMI with universal CEC system control

- Simplay certified

• 2-component video inputs

(480i/480p/720p/1080i/1080p)

• 1 S-video input

• 2 A/V composite inputs

• Wiselink® USB 2.0

• PC (RGB/HDMI) input with 1080p Input Support

• RS232C interface for system control

56" Widescreen DLP HDTV with 1080p

Model Number: HL56A650

Click to enlarge

Printer friendly page

MSRP: $2099.99

TV/Video

for all inputs

operation

• Entertainment mode

Audio

• SRS TruSurround XT™

Connections

• 3 HDMI inputs

input support

- Simplay certified

• 1 S-video input

• 2 A/V composite inputs

• Wiselink® USB 2.0

Net dimensions and weight

(WxHxD)

TV (w/o foot): 50.4" x 34.9" x 13.4"

TV weight: 60.6 lbs.

TV (w/ foot): 50.4" x 34.9" x 14.0"

61" Widescreen DLP HDTV with 1080p

Model Number: HL61A650

Click to enlarge

Printer friendly page

MSRP: $2299.99

TV/Video

for all inputs

operation

• Entertainment mode

Audio

• SRS TruSurround XT™

Connections

• 3 HDMI inputs

input support

- Simplay certified

• 1 S-video input

• 2 A/V composite inputs

• Wiselink® USB 2.0

(WxHxD)

TV (w/o foot): 54.8" x 37.7" x 14.3"

TV weight: 68.8 lbs.

TV (w/ foot): 54.8" x 37.7" x 15.4"

61" LED Powered DLP HDTV with 1080p

Model Number: HL61A750

Click to enlarge

Printer friendly page

MSRP: $2699.99

TV/Video

• “Piano Key Black” cabinet

• Slim depth and slim bezel (0.6") – fits where

others won’t™

• 1 Tuner Picture-in-Picture

• Samsung CinemaPure™ Color Engine:

- Reliable LED solid state illumination for long life

and up to 40% more color and 40% brightness

improvement

- Built-in light sensor with beam current feedback

insures stable light output over the life of the TV

for all inputs and TV sources

- Smooth, high detail film-like image

Clear QAM (local channel digital cable capable)

• Entertainment mode custom picture settings

Audio

• SRS TruSurround XT™

Connections

• 3 HDMI inputs

- 480i/480p/1080i/1080p

(60Hz/30Hz/24Hz) input support

- Simplay certified for cross component

compatibility

• 2 S-video inputs

• 2 A/V composite inputs

• Wiselink® USB 2.0

• RS232C port for system control

(WxHxD)

TV (w/o foot): 54.8" x 37.8" x 14.4"

TV weight: 70.1 lbs.

TV (w/ foot): 54.8" x 37.8" x 15.4"

67" LED Powered DLP HDTV with 1080p

Model Number: HL67A750

Click to enlarge

Printer friendly page

MSRP: $3199.99

TV/Video

• “Piano Key Black” cabinet

• Slim depth and slim bezel (0.6") – fits where

others won’t™

• 1 Tuner Picture-in-Picture

• Samsung CinemaPure™ Color Engine:

- Reliable LED solid state illumination for long life

and up to 40% more color and 40% brightness

improvement

- Built-in light sensor with beam current feedback

insures stable light output over the life of the TV

for all inputs and TV sources

- Smooth, high detail film-like image

Clear QAM (local channel digital cable capable)

• Entertainment mode custom picture settings

Audio

• SRS TruSurround XT™

Connections

• 3 HDMI inputs

- 480i/480p/1080i/1080p

(60Hz/30Hz/24Hz) input support

- Simplay certified for cross component

compatibility

• 2 S-video inputs

• 2 A/V composite inputs

• Wiselink® USB 2.0

• RS232C port for system control

See less See more
#506 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabney /forum/post/13408570

The difference you are paying for is the Phlatlight LED light engine instead of a color wheel and bulb which will need replacement every 2-4 years.

The bulb will need replacement, not the color wheel just to be clear. The bulb set so far has had the superior picture and viewing angles however If you see Rainbows (I dont) than the LED set may be a better choice. LED sets in reviews have been among the poorest in Black level as well but we dont have specs on these yet.

#507 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhferry /forum/post/13408953

The bulb will need replacement, not the color wheel just to be clear. The bulb set so far has had the superior picture and viewing angles however If you see Rainbows (I dont) than the LED set may be a better choice. LED sets in reviews have been among the poorest in Black level as well but we dont have specs on these yet.

The color wheel moves, so it will need replacement sometime. My 5 year old color wheel has a high pitched whine, and I can't wait to get rid of it. Also, there have been many very positive reviews on the LED sets after calibration by some very respectable people on this site. They may not be the best, but they are certainly capable of delivering a stunning picture.

But, no one has seen an 08 yet, so we can only speculate and hope that it is even better than the previous generations.

#508 ·
I'm very excited to see that they got rid of the ultra slim cabinets for the lamp based models. It gives me hope of getting rid of my smiley face 5076s for a 50A650 with good geometry. I noticed on samsung's site that they've changed the contrast numbers for the lamp based models. I know that in general to take contrast ratio's with a grain of salt. But for the 2007 models they claimed 10,000:1, and for the 2008 they claim 2,500:1. Why do you think they have changed it?

#510 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophile42 /forum/post/13410812

I'm very excited to see that they got rid of the ultra slim cabinets for the lamp based models. It gives me hope of getting rid of my smiley face 5076s for a 50A650 with good geometry. I noticed on samsung's site that they've changed the contrast numbers for the lamp based models. I know that in general to take contrast ratio's with a grain of salt. But for the 2007 models they claimed 10,000:1, and for the 2008 they claim 2,500:1. Why do you think they have changed it?

Where do you see that number for the 2008 models?

#513 ·
Definitely weird, and even if it Native vs. Dynamic, why would you ever Market the lower number? Isn't the point to get people to want to buy your TV?

I was inches away from buying the HL-T7288W a few weeks ago, and now I feel like this is never going to end. Especially since the new 72 doesn't look like it will be out for 2-3 months.

#515 ·
#518 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhferry /forum/post/13413608

PDF for the 61 model says CEC enabled, thats HDMI 1.3 for sure.

I updated my post as soon as the user manual was downloaded.

But just a FYI CEC has been in use since HDMI 1.0, but there are new commands available with HDMI 1.3a.

#519 ·
When looking through the user manual, I see that there is finally a setting that suggest that the led will truely vary the brightness depending on the seen. Though the led control in the detailed setting shows that there are only 5 levels, maybe the auto setting may have more levels available to it. The dynamic contrast ratio may be greatly increased if this is the case.

#520 ·
When taking a quick look through the manual, the first thing that struck me was:

Why do they only have one rf input? The older models, at least the HL-R models, had two, one for an antenna, and one for cable. I use both! And to top it off, they spend 1/2 a page showing how to connect a manual A/B switch.

And of course, the lack of cablecard capability is another pain. Seems like Samsung (and other TV manufacturers) are now in league with the cable companies to require you to rent their cable boxes. Very disappointing.

I wonder if they mount the LEDs using the same glue they used to mount the mirrors in the light tunnels?

#522 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesan2 /forum/post/13416675

Why buy these if they are going to exit the business?

If it meets your needs in terms of size and cost what's not to like. It's not like you're going to trade it in year after year on another one like a car. So if Samsungs decides to stop producing them at some point, it will still give you years of enjoyment.

#523 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSony /forum/post/13416728

If it meets your needs in terms of size and cost what's not to like. It's not like you're going to trade it in year after year on another one like a car. So if Samsungs decides to stop producing them at some point, it will still give you years of enjoyment.

Agree. The choice for me is based on getting the highest quality big screen that fits within my budget. Since I want a screen 67 or bigger, DLP is the best choice and Samsung is my favorite DLP.

#525 ·
Will some of you soon to be early adopters start an official owner's thread, or stay in this one--specifically the new LEDs?

#528 ·
How long will Sammy continue to service these after they leave the business?

What make's you think that Samsung is leaving the RPTV LED DLP business? Do you know soemthing that we don't?

From what I've seen they're great sets with a great price and that's hard to beat. Unless you want (need) real a true flat panel to hang on a wall the extra cabinet depth is neither here nor there. I'd take the picture quality over that any day.

#530 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ /forum/post/13408291

Anybody pulling the trigger right away? Or are we all waiting for Specs?

I have. I placed my order w/ Crutchfield last week after they cancelled my previous order for the 6189S. They gave me a very nice discount because of the cancellation, their free white glove delivery, no tax (I'm in NJ) and also gave me the Sammy matching stand free too. Delivery is expected 3/31.

On a side note. I stopped into BB last night and chatted up the Magnolia manager about the 61A750. They show 1 at their wharehouse for delivery next week. I asked about specs, specifically what TI chp and said that would be the deal breaker. He called their sammy sales rep (on speaker phone) and put the question to him. The sammy rep's answer was, TI DC4 for what it's worth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.